Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

homullus posted:

Edit: Like, Gandalf and Boromir both get Taken Out. Gandalf literally describes Death and obviously takes the deal offered. Boromir does not. Fellowship does not currently give a player reason or incentive to make the Boromir choice, aside from either not liking what Death offers or actually just wanting to run a different playbook. It needs to be the player's choice for the PC to die, but I think there should be . . . something. Something else that involves the other players and the Overlord.

Boromir absolutely took the deal Death offered, and the deal was "redeem yourself for betraying Frodo and live just long enough to tell Aragorn that the orcs took Merry and Pippin alive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

homullus posted:

I was still misunderstanding the move when I wrote that, but . . . why would Boromir's player choose that, when he could opt to not be dying at all and still tell Aragorn? Do you see what I mean about incentive? I think there needs to be more there to make PC death an attractive-but-rare option.

Because by not dying he doesn't redeem himself for his earlier failure with Frodo and the Ring, which is clearly a huge part of Boromir's player's goal for the story. There's also the "fiction first" mantra to consider: Boromir is Taken Out by a vast army of bloodthirsty Uruk-hai who are there specifically to kill everyone but the halflings. The only Fellowship members near to hand are two effectively-noncombatant Hobbits. This is probably a case where the player looked at the situation and said "yeah, there's no way Boromir gets out of this one alive. But drat if he's not going out in style!"

Impermanent posted:

Perhaps his offer was for Merry and Pippin to be taken alive, not dead.

Oh that would make sense too, if Merry and Pippin weren't PCs.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

this is probably a dumb question but how do i get the preview info as a ks backer?

It's in the first update.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

It's more about finding a way to represent communities not trusting you than a radically different approach. The same sort of problem with not meshing with the system kept coming up. I had a "shoot first" that didn't match the spotlight and attempts at a move for godfather favors that was something that already happens but with added consequences.

I really like the Outlaw Fellowships being bands of heroic rogues, but if you wanted to do something different you could make their "Fellowship" be with the bad guys. Not in an "evil PC" kind of way, but in a "the Outlaw, even in the course of helping people, always manages to piss off the local authorities/Overlord's minions and can use that to her advantage" way. Fellowship benefits could be things like your own personal Jim Sterling who's always on your heels but who you can manipulate to your advantage or positive reputation with criminal elements because You Have the Death Sentence in Twelve Systems or whatever.