Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How much does a player really get to decide about their people? I noticed that the Elf playbook offers one of four choices for what an Elf is - fairy, mermaid, alien, or standard fantasy wood elf - and I'm wondering if that doesn't run a little counter to the freedom players are meant to feel in deciding what their people are like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I noticed that some of the playbooks are more prescriptive about the races than I expected. Races like Elves and Orcs have options that tell you what the races are, rather than what they do or what their motivation is. Given that the game talks a lot about letting the player decide what your people are like, this seems strange. If I were playing Elf or Orc, I would expect myself to just cannibalize the subrace moves and heavily reskin. I'll determine what we're like, thank you.

Other playbooks, like Halfling and Dwarf, are super good about their options cause they're more like yes-and traits that you can build off of. I feel like I have wayyyy more freedom to determine what we're like for those two. Heir and Harbinger kinda fall in the middle of the spectrum, and I actually kinda skipped over their books so I'll come back to them. Squire doesn't have this problem at all due to not being a race and therefore not having any baggage.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Which is why it seems kinda strange that the elf playbook says “here’s where the elves came from and what they’re like”, if the intent is just “they’re graceful and mystical”. Maybe options instead focusing on “they’re mystical”, “they’re secretive”, “they’re graceful”, etc. would work?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 9, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you have two GMs, or are you just running two Overlord sheets? You could maybe treat it as only one Overlord is active at a time, then switch from one to the other when it makes sense narratively.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s personal, I guess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xelkelvos posted:

Gonna finally try and get a Fellowship game off the ground with a group of people who don't know each other besides me. The first "session" probably wont be much other than a tutorial of how to play and getting everyone familiar with PbtA games so that'll be interesting. We're also going to be missing someone so...:shrug:

If all else fails, I'll just fall back to Dungeon World or something. Or maybe run a DCC Funnel

Like with all gaming groups, expect it to fall apart a handful of sessions in when people fail to show up/call in sick/get dramabombed out. Exceptions to that rule are apparently rare. That's why I like doing one-shots: less commitment, less dickery and disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man that sounds cool.