Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Welp, these loving assholes changed the code to where FAs don't wait until coaches are hired to make a decision. Just lost a pitcher on a true max (which I've had in from day one of FA) because he chose to sign before I had a pitching or bullpen coach. I never had a chance to even win the tiebreaker. This after having 20m in coaching budget and preparing for 2 loving seasons for this.

I'm quitting this loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I've officially asked to be removed from all non-Dimaggio worlds. I've got like 3 seasons reserved that I haven't used yet, guess I'll ride those out in this world and then decide whether I'm quitting the game for good.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

nasboat posted:

Welp, these loving assholes changed the code to where FAs don't wait until coaches are hired to make a decision. Just lost a pitcher on a true max (which I've had in from day one of FA) because he chose to sign before I had a pitching or bullpen coach. I never had a chance to even win the tiebreaker. This after having 20m in coaching budget and preparing for 2 loving seasons for this.

Like, I'm okay with them making that change and actually think it's better for the game...but they need to tell us if they're actually going to do it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Is it better for the game to have no idea what tiebreakers are? To seriously not know what's going to determine an FAs choice? We'll all be flying blind and can't plan for poo poo. I know that the game got stale and predictable and needed some changes but there are also certain aspects where you kind of need to be able to know things.

Adding randomness or mystery for mystery's sake is only going to cause people to get upset and quit the game, IMO.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

We still know what the tiebreakers are (presumably). I think it is bad for the game to go into FA knowing 100% that a particular owner will sign a max player because he has every tiebreaker locked up and all he has to do is wait it out. Making it so that players may sign before coaches do still allows you to take advantage of tiebreakers but adds enough of a wrinkle that more than one owner may have a chance at them and I'm cool with that.

Also, hard deadlines on when contested players will sign allow for dumb shenanigans like when jeff saw exactly what EB had to offer on whatever player they were competing for, and then offered just more than EB had to offer on the final cycle before players sign.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 24, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

forgive me if I'm not interested in playing the "throw out 110 million and set your entire budget around maxing a guy and HOPE that it works out" game. We don't get to talk to players or reps. This isn't real life baseball. If we're going to just make everything up to chance at this point then I'm keeping my money and not playing this game anymore. :shrug:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What's left up to chance right now that isn't before? Players signing a max before coaches means you have one less tiebreaker. Once your coaches sign you have one more tiebreaker. Other players were already capable of signing at random during free agency with comparable, non-max offers on the board, now max players may, too. Make sure your non-coach tiebreakers are in place.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

The problem is that once the tiebreakers are known, they become a game mechanic that players are going to interact with. Even if it's a bad mechanic that leads to bad results, or favors players who make use of the mechanic, it's been established for a while and even iirc posted about on the official forums. The likely motivation of WiS (decrease the predictability of FA signings) was a good motivation, but they didn't really do that. They just threw a monkey wrench into an established factor without clarifying as much to the playerbase, which sucks. Max tiebreakers are still predictable, they're just differently predictable and teams shouldn't plan outside of a single season to max-bid anyone, because every team is just a dice roll away from completely blowing one of the tiebreakers because their pitching coach has decided to leave.

Again, maybe they see that change as a step up so people don't budget outside of the season they're in for a max contract down the road. But not informing the playerbase that a mechanic has been changed is pretty drat bad. Ostensibly, folks are paying like $25 a season and this basically wrecks a season for anyone who was planning on operating within the known mechanic since there usually isn't much to do with $30 Million on the FA market once a max tiebreaker has been decided.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gyroball posted:

But not informing the playerbase that a mechanic has been changed is pretty drat bad.

Right, this is the main problem more than anything else. Of course, WIS has always been utterly atrocious about informing their player base of anything at all.

e: I put a comment in the feedback thread, we'll see if they say anything.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 24, 2015

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

A big thanks to Gardenald to swoop in and remind me that my team isn't actually as good as it's playing :v:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I always thought those tiebreak mechanics were stupid but at least they were reliable. This change kind of screws anyone who wants to play around in big free agency but had a hitting or pitching coach leave/retire in the offseason.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Is anyone else totally incapable of accessing the league in desktop? It works fine on mobile but it won't go to DiMaggio on there.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

A big thanks to Gardenald to swoop in and remind me that my team isn't actually as good as it's playing :v:

Always glad to help out buddy!

Now it's time for Nasboat to remind me of the same

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

duyarvish posted:

Is anyone else totally incapable of accessing the league in desktop? It works fine on mobile but it won't go to DiMaggio on there.

I've had this happen on my work computer, where we're stuck using an IE browser and I can't change it. I'm locked into Camp and the drop down (or trying to access it anywhere else through WIS menus) won't take me to any other world. It just keeps me in Camp. e: this is the only computer where I have the problem, it works fine on my MacBook at home, btw.

Also, agree with everything gyro said about the tiebreaker stuff. It completely cancels out trying to plan for a max bid on a guy future seasons down the road, and really gives no one any indication if they have any legitimate chance of signing a max contract guy. Your'e just flying completely blind, which is even worse than real life would be (and so many people on WIS in general seem to want to make the game more like 'real life' and they've taken it way too far to the other end of the spectrum with this).

I also don't see why smart players should be punished for understanding tiebreakers, budgeting, foresight, math, etc. Why is this such a bad thing?

nasboat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 24, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

What's left up to chance right now that isn't before?

If a max, high-competition guy can sign on any cycle like non-max, normal competition FAs do, then tiebreakers basically become moot, or a shot in the dark. Okay, so five teams have a max in and the one that's leading is the one who re-hired their lovely coaches, while the other four only have one coach, or none (of the two needed in a tiebreaker scenario). You end up losing because one team had two coaches during the random cycle they chose to sign. What could you have done to prevent that? Does everyone just re-sign their old coaches at the start, no matter the rating, and hope they pull a rabbit out of a hat? That's what I mean by being left to chance. There's zero way to plan for it or know if you stand any real chance of signing a max guy -- unlike before, when a smart player could understand that a guy was hitting FA, whether or not he had a loyalty bonus, could budget to spend big bucks on two coaches for tiebreaker scenarios, etc. And I don't see how the new way is in any way better than the old way, or why smart players should be punished just to add a sense of 'randomness' or something to the game (certainly not realism).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Bailey went to a team that had you beat handily in park factor, is it not possible that, without coaches in place to reconcile against each other, park factor becomes the tiebreaker?

e: nm, thought Bailey was a hitter. So...I don't know.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Well, let's say that were the case...so then no one knows what tiebreakers will actually be in play because the signing time is random. So you might have a better park but if the other team has coaches and you don't, you're done. Or maybe they do end up holding out and you sign coaches and get the guy. It still basically means that you have to commit $30m in one season to the possibility that you'll sign a guy, without having any way to plan a path to actually knowing you can sign the guy.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Given that you don't have any guarantee of getting the coaches you want, and that if just one other player goes for the same approach and beats you on your needed coaches, how is that radically different than it is now?

There is a degree of certainty you've been able to enjoy because these things generally go uncontested by those in the know but if other people were to jump into the game given the same conditions there'd be the same possibility of not knowing if you're wasting 30m+ in one season.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Given that you don't have any guarantee of getting the coaches you want, and that if just one other player goes for the same approach and beats you on your needed coaches, how is that radically different than it is now?

Sure, that's the risk you take in this, but if I get beat fair and square by someone who budgets 20m and beats me price-wise on coaches, that's just a loss you have to accept. To not have any idea of the process, or what will be the tiebreaker, or not having any way to try and plan to win is much worse, IMO. Even in the old scenario, I could do things like hire AAA bench coaches instead of ML to save coaching funds, etc. This just takes the power out of the hands of the owners.

quote:

There is a degree of certainty you've been able to enjoy because these things generally go uncontested by those in the know but if other people were to jump into the game given the same conditions there'd be the same possibility of not knowing if you're wasting 30m+ in one season.

That's fine. I've never had a problem with the idea of people learning how max contracts and tiebreakers work and using it. The information is out there if you want to find it (that's how I learned). If people want to get smarter about how the game works and adjust accordingly, that's great.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm getting destroyed by the hapless blue jays for some reason. This is not good.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
What the

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

It's at 51 games now!

How have we not kicked him out yet?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I was under the impression people had been helping him out, but I hadn't checked the standings lately.

Two sides to this: 1) it continues to be frustrating to try to import new people (usually twitter people) and either have them not care or just decide they're out after 1 or 2 seasons; 2) if the game isn't intuitive enough for someone to avoid losing 50 freaking games in a row, despite even SEMI-regular logins, how in the world is it going to stave off the starvation it's currently facing, much less regrow the fanbase to the level it was at a couple years ago?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Funny thing is he was like 19-28 before this losing streak which isn't too bad. Variance I tell ya.

And he has like $40 mil to play with so he probably should have had this fixed around L20 or so.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I was under the impression people had been helping him out, but I hadn't checked the standings lately.

Two sides to this: 1) it continues to be frustrating to try to import new people (usually twitter people) and either have them not care or just decide they're out after 1 or 2 seasons; 2) if the game isn't intuitive enough for someone to avoid losing 50 freaking games in a row, despite even SEMI-regular logins, how in the world is it going to stave off the starvation it's currently facing, much less regrow the fanbase to the level it was at a couple years ago?

We need to do a better job setting up newbies with mentors to help them through things and maybe also gauge how invested they are so we can get replacements lined up more quickly.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Bob is seriously interested, he just didn't set his pitching staff or line-up before game 1. I've been trying to help, but haven't been 100% successful. He needs someone who's better at being a helping hand than me.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The broken bones posted:

Bob is seriously interested, he just didn't set his pitching staff or line-up before game 1. I've been trying to help, but haven't been 100% successful. He needs someone who's better at being a helping hand than me.

The update hasn't helped, but really, this is a fake baseball game. The learning curve in setting lineups and rotations isn't difficult, and people who can't manage those things aren't likely to be useful owners in the long term. Of course, now with 60+ games of completely fatigued pitchers, it's going to take more than just swapping guys in a menu to put out that tire fire.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Everyone should trade for Gaedels players.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I may never win another game

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

5-11 since the all star break. Win every game in the first half, lose every game in the 2nd half. Love you, HBD.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

saintonan posted:

The update hasn't helped, but really, this is a fake baseball game. The learning curve in setting lineups and rotations isn't difficult, and people who can't manage those things aren't likely to be useful owners in the long term. Of course, now with 60+ games of completely fatigued pitchers, it's going to take more than just swapping guys in a menu to put out that tire fire.

for real? and you wonder why people don't stick around?

This is an extremely difficult, involved game. New people, esp. ones that haven't played WIS or any facsimile, need as much help as they can get and informing someone how to toggle between MLB and AAA/AA/A lineups takes 5 seconds and makes a world of difference. You're ushering out new people before they even start with attitudes like this

I can't believe no one told him between today and a week ago. I finally told him and it took 5 seconds. He made the correction immediately

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The broken bones posted:

for real? and you wonder why people don't stick around?

This is an extremely difficult, involved game.

No, it's really not. It's cache is that it's easy to learn but difficult to master (see upthread the chats about invisible tiebreakers for FA signings for an example of complexity). Putting together a lineup and a pitching rotation is extremely basic and dead simple, and the fact that he needs to be handheld over twitter just to manage that doesn't speak well for him at all.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Agreed with Saintonan. I was one of the first goons in on this about 25 seasons ago now, and I didn't need any handholding to figure out basic lineup and pitching stuff. Sure, I have the IQ of a really dumb rock when it comes to trades, but I don't think i've ever done anything else majorly stupid.

I'm sure i'm setting myself up just saying that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ArtVandelay posted:

Agreed with Saintonan. I was one of the first goons in on this about 25 seasons ago now, and I didn't need any handholding to figure out basic lineup and pitching stuff. Sure, I have the IQ of a really dumb rock when it comes to trades, but I don't think i've ever done anything else majorly stupid.

I'm sure i'm setting myself up just saying that.

oh how soon they forget

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I didn't have the first pick. Also none of us understood how scouting worked or where to put our budget money at first.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Yeah, where to put scouting money, how to rate players, why you should pay more for a good fielding coach, and why training and medical dollars are important are WiS-specific things that I wouldn't expect anyone to know right away. Making a 9-man lineup and a starting rotation is something anyone with even a passing interest in baseball in general should know to do, and the mechanics of doing so within the HBD menus aren't taxing at all.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

+ Decided I was too bitter and life's too short

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 1, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Art you did not need to add anything to that discussion

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

For clarification my post above was off the current main topic, in case that mattered

I'd tend to agree that some of the things Bob is missing are very rudimentary and there's only so much help we can provide when that's the root of the problem, but I also agree that we could be better ambassadors for the whole thing. Personally I'm just a little fatigued with owners flaming out so fast, despite all of them being cut from different cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I hope this guy can become just good enough to be the second coming of Aramis Hernandez https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7513890

• Locked thread