Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Is that Harris trade bad enough for a first time owner that we should step in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gyroball posted:

34 year old Alex Ransom putting on a Burrellballers cap. storylines

Vic Almanzar ready to Hustle

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

duyarvish posted:

I see why that Harris trade isn't good, but why exactly is so bad it's vetoable?

Brand new owner who is losing a legit asset for a guy who you can get at any time on waivers or through the Rule V draft.

I can't help but wonder if the new guy saw SS and the OVR/PRJ comparison to Harris and thought it was good.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

The point is, we all make mistakes, but you don't veto mine. If this were in reverse and I traded Harris for someone terrible, you'd laugh and call me stupid, but you wouldn't veto it.

Let's let this person make his mistake, and then explain to him why it was a mistake.

Art, the difference is that you have been playing for close to a decade now, and we have given you input on innumerable occasions, and you have still made the silly trades. That's why we don't veto, because if you make a negative value trade after as much time and teaching as you've had then that falls on you. It's also on you (and all of us) to see a bad trade sent your way to pump the brakes and reach out to the new owner and explain why it's not ideal for them, not just say "well nobody vetoes my trades so this shouldn't be vetoed either."

And yeah, I don't see the incentive for the Gilkey trade there. I'd like to know what the reasoning was from those who approved it.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Harris and Gilkey are both non-elite but they're both valuable assets. Harris has a better offensive career (by OPS and RC27) than guys like Tony Martinez, Todd Holland, Brian Brown, Hector Colome, Ralph Norman and a bunch of other guys who have all been paid more or been traded for more value, while spending a not-insignificant amount of his career in strong pitcher's parks. Some of those other guys have better defensive profiles and may be better fits for particular teams or parks but he's at least comparable to those guys on a value basis.

And 3B has gotten pretty weak in this world on the whole so a guy who can post a .750 OPS and play top-notch 3B defense (to the point where he can be a non-disaster at SS if so desired) is pretty valuable. TMB traded a much better package for Jonathan Fabregas just last season, who is a similar-value player with a worse contract. His track record is basically as strong as Gorkys Santos, who has been the centerpiece of several biggish trades. Not everyone looks at 3Bs as I do but man I like Gilkey way more than waiver wire fodder and quad-A stars.

I'd also have a much softer opinion on the trades if both owners were making them with a clear thought process in mind under guidance of experienced owners (did we even make any efforts to buddy any of the new owners up with anyone to help guide them?). Like, if Gilkey is being traded because there is a pointed intention towards going strong into the IFA market over the next few seasons it makes a ton more sense.

gyroball posted:

I mean, gently caress, I remember the market out there for MVP Steve Sweeney a couple seasons ago.

I know you had your reasons but I'm still surprised you ended up taking the deal you did there.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

I think this is where I mention that Nate Floyd, Kurt Romero, Tom Crow, and Brant Peters are available.

Give me The Experience or give me death

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

you have to let people make their own mistakes to learn the game. I've said that when other newbies make this mistake, and i'm saying it now. The only thing different this time is that it personally affects me in a good way for once.

There's a difference between "oops I gave Edwin Harris a 5m extension haha that sucks" mistakes and flipping assets around for nothing mistakes. Especially when we have such a strong userbase that we can help inform new players on all kinds of things.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yasiel Gonzalez: Six-Hole Hitter

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

I hope the remaining ML coaches sign quickly, I need a AAA HC and don't feel like getting in on the spending extravaganza down there.

Jen hasn't logged in in four days and has literally no coaches hired so I wouldn't hold my breath

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Nice upgrade to a 100% better, younger pitcher there, scrotos

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

How the hell did you get Vin back so cheap? I had him at 13.5 mil for 4 years when I dropped out and got Ayala. Ridiculous. I should never have dropped out.

You told nasboat straight to his face you were dropping out, he easily could have lowered whatever offer he may have had out there. I don't know what made you think I was going to pay him, I was never interested in him. Ayala's a better deal for you anyway.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yay I left one of the only worthwhile rule v players unprotected

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Who knew stagnation could eventually kill even a sturdily founded and near exclusive concept

Hey remember that time we had 32 people lined up and ready to give them money and they were all "nah we don't want your money" that was good times

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

All aboard the Omar Valdes MVP train

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

No, Bolton should be boltin' to Cleveland in a trade.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Peter loving Ogawa just threw 8 innings of 1 hit 2 walk 0 run ball against me :suicide:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What's going on in the NL West?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

why

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

They annoy me

go on

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Are we talking Merrill Darr? Because lol at my monkey scouts

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

something something pythagorean something

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=73729789&pbp=0

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

WHAT THE gently caress

Dude had 100 health just two seasons ago. Then got hurt for the entire season and fell to 93. Now is at seventy five health. gently caress you, HBD.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So this is different:

Woo 3/4ths goon byes. Woo all goons leaving after this season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

Are you bailing? I still have my asterisk up (and 3 more seasons unreserved lol) but if everyone else is leaving I will too

I am bailing, yes. There's a part of me that doesn't want to cut bait on this group when it's still so good and a bunch of guys I've had put together for so long, but I really would like to cut back on a team and I figure it's best just to rip the bandaid off.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Might need to replace New Orleans

e: I'm not sure why I was able to snag Pascual Posada but I thank y'all.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 17, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What is pythag

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Welp, the averages have been removed from individual budget pages so no more peaking at what other players' scouting is at.

Also, I understand removing scouting from view, even if I disagree, but man do I hate removing training/medical from view. It was a nice way of evaluating players and being able to tell if seasonal or in-season declines were due to early aging or just an owner being lovely with a 6 training or some poo poo. Or being able to tell which owners to look down my nose at for harming their prospect growth.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 20, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

They did have the old list on the side of the screen, they literally just changed it to this hours ago.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Two-time all-star Roosevelt Bolick :yum:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I don't really know what advantage a dedicated rest section is even supposed to provide.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

Welp, these loving assholes changed the code to where FAs don't wait until coaches are hired to make a decision. Just lost a pitcher on a true max (which I've had in from day one of FA) because he chose to sign before I had a pitching or bullpen coach. I never had a chance to even win the tiebreaker. This after having 20m in coaching budget and preparing for 2 loving seasons for this.

Like, I'm okay with them making that change and actually think it's better for the game...but they need to tell us if they're actually going to do it.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

We still know what the tiebreakers are (presumably). I think it is bad for the game to go into FA knowing 100% that a particular owner will sign a max player because he has every tiebreaker locked up and all he has to do is wait it out. Making it so that players may sign before coaches do still allows you to take advantage of tiebreakers but adds enough of a wrinkle that more than one owner may have a chance at them and I'm cool with that.

Also, hard deadlines on when contested players will sign allow for dumb shenanigans like when jeff saw exactly what EB had to offer on whatever player they were competing for, and then offered just more than EB had to offer on the final cycle before players sign.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 24, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What's left up to chance right now that isn't before? Players signing a max before coaches means you have one less tiebreaker. Once your coaches sign you have one more tiebreaker. Other players were already capable of signing at random during free agency with comparable, non-max offers on the board, now max players may, too. Make sure your non-coach tiebreakers are in place.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gyroball posted:

But not informing the playerbase that a mechanic has been changed is pretty drat bad.

Right, this is the main problem more than anything else. Of course, WIS has always been utterly atrocious about informing their player base of anything at all.

e: I put a comment in the feedback thread, we'll see if they say anything.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 24, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Bailey went to a team that had you beat handily in park factor, is it not possible that, without coaches in place to reconcile against each other, park factor becomes the tiebreaker?

e: nm, thought Bailey was a hitter. So...I don't know.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Given that you don't have any guarantee of getting the coaches you want, and that if just one other player goes for the same approach and beats you on your needed coaches, how is that radically different than it is now?

There is a degree of certainty you've been able to enjoy because these things generally go uncontested by those in the know but if other people were to jump into the game given the same conditions there'd be the same possibility of not knowing if you're wasting 30m+ in one season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I was under the impression people had been helping him out, but I hadn't checked the standings lately.

Two sides to this: 1) it continues to be frustrating to try to import new people (usually twitter people) and either have them not care or just decide they're out after 1 or 2 seasons; 2) if the game isn't intuitive enough for someone to avoid losing 50 freaking games in a row, despite even SEMI-regular logins, how in the world is it going to stave off the starvation it's currently facing, much less regrow the fanbase to the level it was at a couple years ago?

We need to do a better job setting up newbies with mentors to help them through things and maybe also gauge how invested they are so we can get replacements lined up more quickly.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on losing, guys, this is great. Playing 50 points below pythag, too.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So I don't know if it's the timing of the transaction or something that they've changed but I just traded for a guy before ST wrapped up in Clemens* and he showed growth on the trade snapshot. I've never seen a player show growth on a trade snapshot that occurred before ST ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is more appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWgfpWKitk&t=388s

• Locked thread