Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
CTRL+C, CTRL+V, Go!

NEW OWNERS GUIDE

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LAST SEASON

-Ignore the ratings, Leo Egan is alive and well

DIVISION WINNERS

AL North: Seattle Discontent
AL East: Hartford Focus
AL South: Santa Fe Leo Egans
AL West: Tucson Seraperos (all hail our 60 win overlords)

NL North: Chicago Cubes
NL East: Cleveland Hustlers
NL South: New Orleans Spirits
NL West: Colorado Burrellballers

WILD CARDS

AL: Charlotte Goyim, St. Louis Gaedels
NL: New York Metropolitans, Santa Cruz Conquistadors

AWARDS

AL MVP: Aaron Hanson, Leo Egans
NL MVP: Cliff Burnett, Burrellballers
AL Cy Young: Cody Roosevelt, Discontent (gently caress you art)
NL Cy Young: Deivi Elcano, Los Angeleses
AL ROTY: Terrence Weinhardt (shut up art)
NL ROTY: Hub Woods, Burrelballers

INFO FOR NEW OWNERS AND HOPELESSLY INCOMPETENT VETERANS

1. Consider running trade offers by the veteran owners in thread. We'll tell you if you're getting ripped off too badly.

2. Figure out a plan and stick to it. If you decide your team needs a rebuilding period, don't abort it halfway through and try to win. That's how you get a consistently mediocre team that doesn't go anywhere.

3. Overall rating is pretty much meaningless, other than to inflate a guy's asking price or determine draft comp.

4. During the preseason, you need to pay more attention to your team than at any other time. After the season starts, you can get away with checking your team once a day or so. During the preseason, you need to be much more active. Don't commit to a team if you can't do that. The main cycles run at (roughly) 3:45am, 11:45am and 7:45pm Eastern, with half cycles in between each. I'd advise that you check every half-cycle, as this is when you get feedback on coach hiring, free agent offers, re-signings, etc.

5. Go through your team roster when you get your team. Figure out what assets you have. Figure out what players you need to protect from the Rule V draft. Failing to do so can seriously set your team back. I'm bolding this part because nasboat is AN IDIOT WHO LOST THREE GOOD PROSPECTS AT ONE POINT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THIS EXACT THING, SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, TOO! SERIOUSLY!

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions! HBD can be overwhelming at first. There's a lot to figure out, and we've all been through it. Use your goon resources.

7. Don't listen to Art's advice. EVER.

8. Coach Hiring Sucks. But it's not that bad honestly if the world works together. We can do this. Trust me.

9. Most of all, have fun with it. Don't get too worked up about fake baseball. Unless you're menasboat.

10. Get a Big Brother! If you've never played this game before feel free to ask the thread for help from the veterans. Hopefully one of us will take you under our wing and teach you some of the stupid convoluted poo poo that you need to know before you quit in frustration. Then when you're a 10 season veteran with multiple world series wins you can pay it forward!

AWESOME THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY

-ADVANCED ROSTER EDIT. This is essential. If you've got (I think) 3 seasons of HBD under your belt, you can take the stupid, WIS-mandated 'training wheels' off your "Edit Roster" page. That's right, no longer will you have to make promotions one player at a time -- which was always a terrible process when trying to bump up all your minor leaguers. To get to advanced roster mode, simply access the "Management Console" from the "Manager's Office" menu, then scroll down and select "Advanced Mode" under "GM Edit Rosters Options"

SPRING TRAINING INFO YOU WILL NEED

quote:

Set your spring training rest hierarchy and pitch counts.

PAs in spring training count towards fatigue in the regular season but the games don't, so you don't want to use your starters as much as you would in the regular season.

HOWEVER spring training is also a good opportunity for your young players to get a couple extra points and if you don't let your veterans play, they might lose a few points. So it's a careful balancing act. I'd recommend inviting some guys to ST from your minor leagues--either prospects you want to develop or mediocre AAAA dudes who can soak up some innings/PAs. Your 25 man roster won't cut it.

Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Spring training squads to invite some of your minor leaguers to camp. Go to Manager's office -> Managers Settings to set your lineup to rest after the fifth inning even if they're losing or leading by only 1. Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Edit Player settings to set your starters to low pitch counts. If for some reason you want them to go deep in games, you can manually force your team to use a 10 man rotation or something. Rotate out your relievers, setting the guys who just pitched to "rest" and forcing the AI to use other guys after games.

The goal is to get your starters at least 10 innings, your relievers at least 3 appearances and your batters at least 30 PAs. After that you're safe from regression. The rest of the playing time should go to backups, bench guys, and minor leaguers.

~Everything below here is being updated~

CURRENT GOON TEAMS -- NOW WITH TWITTER HANDLES!
Yeah this isn't even close to correct I'll fix it later
code:

Forums name      / WIS name     / Franchise                      / Twitter

nasboat          / nasboat      / Seattle Discontent             / @nasboat
Art Vandelay     / thaneoffife  / Montreal Royal Kilted Yaksmen  / @ThaneOfFife
gardenald        / gardenald    / Chicago Barons                 / @gardenald

Devo             / devomac      / Pittsburgh Steel Birds         / @Devo1999
Evilbeard        / evilbeard    / Hartford Focus                 / @evilbeard
duyarvish        / kingfatdik   / Dover Dumpsters                / @duyarvish
n/a              / CBoulding    / Boston Sophists                / @CBoulding

jeffersonlives   / tjefferson   / Santa Fe Leo Egans             / @ihateprospects
Scrotos          / Fervus       / Charlotte Goyim                / @scrotos
Tavarin          / tavarin      / St. Louis Gaedels              / @tavarin

CaptMurphy       / captmurphy   / Portland Beavers               / @haassauce
n/a              / elchapo      / Tucson Seraperos               / @mrubio52
The broken bones / kingofspain  / Salt Lake City Punks           / @TheAmitie
Thauros          / thauros      / Vancouver Directors            / @SAThauros

Nerokerubina     / koyunlu      / Iowa City IOWA                 / @QaraKoyunlu
Operaterp        / operaterp    / Philadelphia Phatties          / 
ernestborg9      / ernestborg9  / Ottawa BEEMOs                  / @ernest_borg9
n/a              / spaldingball / Chicago Cubes                  / @spaldingethan

AlleyViper       / alleyviper   / Cleveland Hustlers             / @deanleyland
chutwig          / chutwig      / Buffalo Garden Paths           / @erhudy
tatankatonk      / tatankatonk  / New York Metropolitans         / @tatankatonk
n/a              / mattwithanh  / Jacksonville Juggernauts       / @mattwithanh

Atheistdeals.com / atheistdeals / New Orleans Spirits            / @DoubleScorpion
(I forget)       / BarroldBonds / Jackson Jackknives             / @BarroldBonds

ThatsMyBoye      / mrincubus    / Anaheim Los Angeleses          / @paul_boye
gyroball         / gyroball     / Colorado Burrellballers        / @RedbirdMenace
Power of Pecota  / pecotaredux  / Salem Saberhagens              / @GeorgeMatanzas
saintonan        / saintonan    / Santa Cruz Conquistadors       / @?
TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE (ARCHIVES, UPDATED LATER)
TMB never filled this in, thanks TMB :mad:
Season 9
Season 10
Season 11
Season 12
Season 13
Season 14
Season 15
Season 16
Season 17
Season 18
Season 19
Season 20
Season 21
Season 22
Season 23
Season 24
Season 25
Season 26
Season 27
Season 28
Season 29
Season 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

He's actually decent too. Could stick around a while.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I vetoed both trades involving first year owners. Please don't scalp legitimate players and send back piles of garbage to new people.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scrotos posted:

I ran my deal passed two other owners who both said it was fine.

It's two garbage prospects and a garbage #5 SP who is done growing for a .750 OPS shortstop. It's bad.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My problem with each deal isn't that the "name" player is good. My problem is that the return in both cases is waiver wire trash that shouldn't be played on any respectable ML team. And if any unrespectable ML team needs that trash they can just pick it up off the waiver wire.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm going to take a ride on the wayback machine and go back to season 17, when I was young and dumb at this game instead of old and dumb like now. I traded a bad OVR reliever for two guys who could play MIF because my team was desperately thin at that position. Not wanting to look bad in front of the league by putting up a 100 loss team for the second season in a row I made the trade without hesitation. I gave up an actual, if not great, asset for two guys that you can pick up multiple times a season on the waiver wire.

This is the kind of shortsighted trade we should be protecting new owners from, especially with the new owner problems we've had recently.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

FWIW if it was an owner with 2 or 3 seasons under his belt I wouldn't veto it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I gave up on late AAA signings a few seasons ago

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Somebody please sign Kurt "former top 10 pick" Cardona thank you

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Your advanced scouting is equally terrible so why do you believe either?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Looks like we've lost a new player already

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone have a more realistic projection for the guy I got? My monkey scouts saw 95/100 splits and even though I know that's not right I had to throw money at him. His current ratings are decent for an 18 year old at least.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My team is terrible and I have no idea how they're on a giant win streak

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Richmond's ML team is actually making me angry in its construction

Well he's a 74 season vet so normally I'd say he's tanking on purpose. But he's only made the playoffs 3 times in 74 seasons so maybe he's just bad.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

He also has a weird thing going where he's in a shitload of worlds and has 74 past seasons, but he doesn't have more than 2 past seasons in any current world he's in. Maybe he just really likes pissing money away.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Power of Pecota posted:

Maybe he just launders money for HBD?

WIS is just a front for Russian cyber criminals who have bought a share in Fox Sports and that's why it never gets updated. Makes too much sense not to be true.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

SPARKY PLEASE STOP WITH THE EXTRA INNING GAMES

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Needs to step up his weak rear end curveball game

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

duyarvish posted:

I never realized just how great having good scouting would feel until I realized I should still get a good player at 15

I got this guy at pick #40 in Zimmer. Having good scouting is pretty cool right now.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I got an 87 OVR guy at pick 17. I mean, he sucks, but lookit dat OVR.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

saintonan posted:

If he had 90+ makeup, he'd have been the #2 guy on my draft board.

Yeah that makeup is really going to hurt him. No injuries and it won't be too bad though. Plus it was at pick #17.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

gardenald posted:

Can anyone tell me if the shitheads I drafted are worth any sort of a drat tia and god bless

Charlie Brown is actually interesting as hell. The other HS guys you drafted are not super cool or anything but probably worth signing for slot since that's all they want.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Don't care that I have an NL team and drafted a DH, this could be sexy as h*ck

According to my draft scouting he could maybe, maybe, play catcher if you truly don't give a gently caress about pitch calling.

e: also someone trade for some guys. Shop's open.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I like how they went live without fixing the reported bugs from the beta worlds

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

nasboat posted:

Are you bailing? I still have my asterisk up (and 3 more seasons unreserved lol) but if everyone else is leaving I will too

I'm gone for sure

Also lol some of the teams in that playoff bracket aren't even readable with those colors

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My team is actually on the cusp of being really good but I have to take a moral stand against whatever the gently caress happened there in chat and sitemails and such

e: best last place team ever?????

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

loving hilarious that they would let something that looks this bad go live

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Should post that in the forum thread

Well it's not like they've fixed any of the other bugs I've reported over the last two months

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo less than 14 mil. Nobody see him or is everybody just tapped already?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

gyroball posted:

I probably have more trouble getting to what I want on this new design on my browser than I ever did in the old version on my phone.

Yeah I actually kind of like it when I'm at work checking things on my phone, but when it comes to actually sitting down at my PC to get deep into the game I can't even stand it

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Just decided to rest a guy and yeah, sure, that's way easier than just changing his position to "R". Uh huh.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I always thought those tiebreak mechanics were stupid but at least they were reliable. This change kind of screws anyone who wants to play around in big free agency but had a hitting or pitching coach leave/retire in the offseason.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Funny thing is he was like 19-28 before this losing streak which isn't too bad. Variance I tell ya.

And he has like $40 mil to play with so he probably should have had this fixed around L20 or so.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Art I've just gotta know what possible reason you had for releasing Wascar Nicasio at age 18 on a bare minimum contract

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So did anyone ever think Heinie Laker would have a season this good? I obviously thought he was interesting or I wouldn't have traded for him, but I never thought he'd be my staff ace. Looking forward to next season when he puts up a 4+ ERA again.

Eat it, control havers

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Great time to start losing every single game

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

duyarvish posted:

I haven't really been checking the standings and all of a sudden I'm in contention for the division. This division sucks.

You suck buddy!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone know if DL stints are retroactive? Or does it kick my guy out for 15 cycles from the time put on the DL?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So which one of you suckas gets to get beat by the Pittsburgh playoff juggernaut??

CAN YOU DIG IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Hi WIS please fix your poo poo so my lineups aren't all hosed up for game 1

• Locked thread