Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

FWIW I was late on my reply to him and he'd already accepted the trade, but scrotos ran that deal by me and I told him I thought it sucked and was bad -- I didn't have a chance to fully assess the players at the time he asked, but when the 0-season owner is giving up one piece for 3 of whatever type of 'prospects' the Charlotte franchise has left, I don't need to know much to know it's probably not a great deal.

I also vetoed the Art deal because of 0-season owner reasons

also EB please don't ever bitch about losing out on anyone ever again, you've been playing this game longer than most of us here (certainly me), there's zero excuse at this point for you to be in amazement when you lose out on an FA to jeff or something. This happens fairly regularly and it's reminding me of Art. If you really wanted Barrios you would've had an offer in that was at least close to jeff's, or else he wouldn't have signed.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Vin Santana?

Tony Martinez?

That's right, we're getting the (failed) band back together.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Nice upgrade to a 100% better, younger pitcher there, scrotos

when taken in context with the Moose trade, this makes more sense, IMO.

Lucano for Matos, straight up, would've been robbery.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

How the hell did you get Vin back so cheap? I had him at 13.5 mil for 4 years when I dropped out and got Ayala. Ridiculous. I should never have dropped out.

he's 33 years old, lost his CF range and I gave him 8m AAV so I wouldn't call it cheap

Scrotos posted:

Yes this is what we have been telling you for years. Maybe you and evilbeard will figure out FA eventually.

this. I don't know what else to tell either of y'all.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

saintonan posted:

Yes but he's unlikely to be able to rip those owners off, so he'd rather not engage.

I don't know that Art would even recognize a rip-off in his favor unless one of us told him it was a rip-off in his favor

ask him about Izzy Mohler in Clemens*

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Not sure why you'd bring up Mohler when I threw everything I possibly could at that owner, and he still liked your vastly inferior offer more. There's literally nothing I could do to change his mind. I even offered Brian Jodie, Sheehan, and Monroe out there, and he still said no.

I brought it up because you had an offer already on the table that you mentioned to everyone that you should've taken and run and instead you sat on it and asked around

it's a literal example of exactly what i was saying. you wouldn't know a good deal unless someone told you it was a good deal.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

hey art i'll trade you renyel romero

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

someone (not Art) take over commissioner duties in Clemens* pleeeeeeeeease

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

duyarvish posted:

How are the teams left in Clemens?

I have no idea but unless you want to be commissioner I wouldn't really consider joining at the moment

basically I am commissioner and can't/won't do it anymore so someone else needs to take it

this has been assbutt being brutally honest and not helping his case, thanks for tuning in.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gently caress terrence weinhardt

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

this is the last push i need to quit all my worlds that aren't Dimaggio

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

So this is different:

Woo 3/4ths goon byes. Woo all goons leaving after this season.

Are you bailing? I still have my asterisk up (and 3 more seasons unreserved lol) but if everyone else is leaving I will too

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

well poo poo it's like y'all called my bluff and now I have to decide if I want to pull back the asterisk and bail too

guh

I'm torn because on one half I also want to drop teams and I also would like to stand in solidarity against all that bullshit, but by the same token I could continue to have a good team and just ignore everybody and everything but still beat sermon every year. I've seriously not responded to any of the TCs or sitemails I got from him or logman and I don't know that I ever will say anything again if I do stay

e2: this is all my fault for bailing on being commish and I'm surprised you all haven't given me more poo poo. I could've stopped all this! (probably not because I would've flipped the gently caress out about the Durham stuff and MWRs)

nasboat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 17, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

has anyone else noticed if you reject a trade that had a note attached when it was proposed to you, that the note propagates into the box and if you don't change it, you literally reject the offer and include the exact same note the other person wrote (and look like an idiot)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

this new design is such garbage

the new place where trade proposals and players needing assignment shows up

these links don't work for me. I have to go through other parts of the menu.

Also as far as I can tell there is not a single place that tells you that you have a new trade chat (I had one but I had to go to the trade chat page to check it, manually)

gently caress you WIS

e: apparently the top menu only has room for 3 things? i rejected the trade offer and it removed the middle and far right links, and now when I get a new TC i can see it. but before, it looked like the picture above. THIS IS SO POORLY DONE.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 22, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Welp, these loving assholes changed the code to where FAs don't wait until coaches are hired to make a decision. Just lost a pitcher on a true max (which I've had in from day one of FA) because he chose to sign before I had a pitching or bullpen coach. I never had a chance to even win the tiebreaker. This after having 20m in coaching budget and preparing for 2 loving seasons for this.

I'm quitting this loving game.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I've officially asked to be removed from all non-Dimaggio worlds. I've got like 3 seasons reserved that I haven't used yet, guess I'll ride those out in this world and then decide whether I'm quitting the game for good.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Is it better for the game to have no idea what tiebreakers are? To seriously not know what's going to determine an FAs choice? We'll all be flying blind and can't plan for poo poo. I know that the game got stale and predictable and needed some changes but there are also certain aspects where you kind of need to be able to know things.

Adding randomness or mystery for mystery's sake is only going to cause people to get upset and quit the game, IMO.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

forgive me if I'm not interested in playing the "throw out 110 million and set your entire budget around maxing a guy and HOPE that it works out" game. We don't get to talk to players or reps. This isn't real life baseball. If we're going to just make everything up to chance at this point then I'm keeping my money and not playing this game anymore. :shrug:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

duyarvish posted:

Is anyone else totally incapable of accessing the league in desktop? It works fine on mobile but it won't go to DiMaggio on there.

I've had this happen on my work computer, where we're stuck using an IE browser and I can't change it. I'm locked into Camp and the drop down (or trying to access it anywhere else through WIS menus) won't take me to any other world. It just keeps me in Camp. e: this is the only computer where I have the problem, it works fine on my MacBook at home, btw.

Also, agree with everything gyro said about the tiebreaker stuff. It completely cancels out trying to plan for a max bid on a guy future seasons down the road, and really gives no one any indication if they have any legitimate chance of signing a max contract guy. Your'e just flying completely blind, which is even worse than real life would be (and so many people on WIS in general seem to want to make the game more like 'real life' and they've taken it way too far to the other end of the spectrum with this).

I also don't see why smart players should be punished for understanding tiebreakers, budgeting, foresight, math, etc. Why is this such a bad thing?

nasboat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 24, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

What's left up to chance right now that isn't before?

If a max, high-competition guy can sign on any cycle like non-max, normal competition FAs do, then tiebreakers basically become moot, or a shot in the dark. Okay, so five teams have a max in and the one that's leading is the one who re-hired their lovely coaches, while the other four only have one coach, or none (of the two needed in a tiebreaker scenario). You end up losing because one team had two coaches during the random cycle they chose to sign. What could you have done to prevent that? Does everyone just re-sign their old coaches at the start, no matter the rating, and hope they pull a rabbit out of a hat? That's what I mean by being left to chance. There's zero way to plan for it or know if you stand any real chance of signing a max guy -- unlike before, when a smart player could understand that a guy was hitting FA, whether or not he had a loyalty bonus, could budget to spend big bucks on two coaches for tiebreaker scenarios, etc. And I don't see how the new way is in any way better than the old way, or why smart players should be punished just to add a sense of 'randomness' or something to the game (certainly not realism).

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Well, let's say that were the case...so then no one knows what tiebreakers will actually be in play because the signing time is random. So you might have a better park but if the other team has coaches and you don't, you're done. Or maybe they do end up holding out and you sign coaches and get the guy. It still basically means that you have to commit $30m in one season to the possibility that you'll sign a guy, without having any way to plan a path to actually knowing you can sign the guy.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Given that you don't have any guarantee of getting the coaches you want, and that if just one other player goes for the same approach and beats you on your needed coaches, how is that radically different than it is now?

Sure, that's the risk you take in this, but if I get beat fair and square by someone who budgets 20m and beats me price-wise on coaches, that's just a loss you have to accept. To not have any idea of the process, or what will be the tiebreaker, or not having any way to try and plan to win is much worse, IMO. Even in the old scenario, I could do things like hire AAA bench coaches instead of ML to save coaching funds, etc. This just takes the power out of the hands of the owners.

quote:

There is a degree of certainty you've been able to enjoy because these things generally go uncontested by those in the know but if other people were to jump into the game given the same conditions there'd be the same possibility of not knowing if you're wasting 30m+ in one season.

That's fine. I've never had a problem with the idea of people learning how max contracts and tiebreakers work and using it. The information is out there if you want to find it (that's how I learned). If people want to get smarter about how the game works and adjust accordingly, that's great.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Art you did not need to add anything to that discussion

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

PC + defense + the right combination of pitching stats. Low control is offset in a number of ways if the other stuff is good enough. But too low of control can get dicey. Once I tended to focus a bit more on having good pitches in the mix along with the PC/defense thing, I think my pitching in all worlds tended to improve.

one random example of a guy who owns due to pitches/PC/defense but real low splits. This guy put up the kind of numbers I've seen max contract FA guys put up (or better) but just kind of shows there's more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to pitching in HBD, I guess: Rickey Taylor

nasboat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 11, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

I was good at naming teams once

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gardenald posted:

AL North coming down to the wire which is funny to me because nasboat's team is objectively better than mine

yeah but you might be an objectively better and more active owner at this point

loving HBD

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

might even let King Figueroa start Game 1 in the playoffs just to raise my DGAF level x10

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Scrotos posted:

WELP I beat Jeff but lose my 5th starter to the 60 day DL

good thing you only need 3.1 starters in the playoffs

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gardenald posted:

My garbage team is garbage

Looking forward to losing in four games in the first round again as is my custom

lol we won the tiebreaker what? I guess I glanced after the last game and assumed it put it in the right order.

guess I won't start King Figueroa in Game 1 now

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

maybe we'll actually win another pennant now that my HBD care levels have been on life support for months

go team

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

nasboat posted:

maybe we'll actually win another pennant now that my HBD care levels have been on life support for months

go team

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

lol

scrotos, never complain about anything in HBD ever again

• Locked thread