Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

peanut posted:

Rapunzel-style parenting

Yikes.
How can they write that and not immediately stop and question their life decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So I can envision the poor repressed sods who are forced to go to these schools, but where do they find the jackbooted, fascist thugs who get off on enforcing all these rules?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

So I can envision the poor repressed sods who are forced to go to these schools, but where do they find the jackbooted, fascist thugs who get off on enforcing all these rules?

While at least some of the students may not be wild about going there there are definitely a lot of true believers. Just tell them they're doing the Lord's work and tack on some scriptural references (doesn't really matter what verses you pick) and they'll do pretty much whatever you tell them to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Does anyone in GBS ever wish they had more structure, discipline, and rules growing up?

When I was a stupid petulant child only concerned with getting my rocks off, I thought "the man" with all of his "rules" existed solely to stop me from being happy.

Now that I'm an adult, I look back and wish my parents were more strict than they were

hail satan you loving crazy

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

These evangelical schools make my short stint at BYU feel like a bastion of libralism.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

FoolyCharged posted:

Yikes.
How can they write that and not immediately stop and question their life decisions.

But you don't understand, max has ODOR because he eats FOOD.

naem
May 29, 2011

Christians have a lot of sects (heh)

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Jesus. Sounds like Max somehow realized how to be a normal 18 year old, though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rough Lobster posted:

secular schools have no trouble finding people who are thrilled to spend their days beign the ID badge police and the skirt length gestapo, given how many teachers love to piss and moan about how much better the good old days were when you could paddle kids and got to kick out the kids with special needs I have no problem believing there's never a shortage of sadists for this place to hire

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Because enjoying getting laid an occasional drink or watching a good movie isn't at all terrible but the things she and most other homeschooling nutjob parents put their kids through to keep them from doing these things usually are.

gently caress homeschooling parents. They're all insane and the last people who should be allowed to raise children.

Girl I met in college:

Had difficulty meeting anyone's eyes
Would never initiate conversation (shed just hover around until you noticed and waved her over)
Failed the lowest level of english class multiple times because she never wrote an essay in her life
See above for math
Never read any of those classic novels (Dickenson, Steinbeck, etc.)
Had an obsession with neopets and Cardcaptor sakura (children anime from the 90s I think)
70 percent of her personal possessions were about Cardcaptor sakura
Spent hours at the library computer doing things on neopets
Never held a job during high school or after it
Rarely spoke during group conversations, or at all really. She preferred to listen, I think?
Was either a genuine asexual or just super inept or uninterested in people in a relationship sort of way
Was homeschooled.

peanut posted:

Rapunzel-style parenting

I finished typing up the above in another page before scrolling down and whoa. From what I guessed from this gal's life could be summed up like this. I have no idea what happened to her since. :smith:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Jesus. Sounds like Max somehow realized how to be a normal 18 year old, though.

Actually it sounds like Max is a smelly fat retard, given the reasons she gives for wanting him on a Vegan diet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Actually it sounds like Max is a smelly fat retard, given the reasons she gives for wanting him on a Vegan diet.

And probably either scared of women or repulsive to them given that his mom dragged him through all those mixers and hiring a freaking "dating coach"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FoolyCharged posted:

And probably either scared of women or repulsive to them given that his mom dragged him through all those mixers and hiring a freaking "dating coach"

I read it as "god I just want to get my little boy to date a nice Jewish girl from synagogue but he just keeps hitting on that Asian girl next door there must be something wrong with him"

I am an optimist :unsmith:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
:psyduck:

There's a group for LGBT students at Bob Jones with the rather hilarious name of BJ Unity. Good for them, but that name is certainly something.

http://bjunity.org/

On the other hand this article from 1940 by a former BJU faculty member is pretty great. Let me say again, it's 1940 and they think it's too oppressive.

http://visualprime.com/Pub/AmMercury-1940sep-00016:18?View=PDF

“Wherever we have the races mixed up in large numbers, we have trouble….These religious liberals are the worst infidels in many ways in the country; and some of them are filling pulpits down South. They do not believe the Bible any longer; so it does not do any good to quote it to them. They have gone over to modernism, and they are leading the white people astray at the same time; and they are leading colored Christians astray. But every good, substantial, Bible-believing, intelligent orthodox Christian can read what the Word of God and know that what is happening in the South now is not of God.” - Bob Jones Sr, reacting on Billy Graham speaking against segregation

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nckdictator posted:

:psyduck:

There's a group for LGBT students at Bob Jones with the rather hilarious name of BJ Unity. Good for them, but that name is certainly something.

http://bjunity.org/

That is...actually not as bad as I expected. I don't see a lot of the "DON'T WORRY WE CAN FIX YOU" that is typical of that kind of thing.

Now seeing that they are apparently semi okay with the gay, is it okay to bang your roommate as long as you guys aren't opposite gender?!

VVV of loving course

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 20, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is...actually not as bad as I expected. I don't see a lot of the "DON'T WORRY WE CAN FIX YOU" that is typical of that kind of thing.

Now seeing that they are apparently semi okay with the gay, is it okay to bang your roommate as long as you guys aren't opposite gender?!

It was banned by the school.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 20, 2015

naem
May 29, 2011

Was the part of the bible where Jesus was a drunken hippie who quit his job at his step dad's carpentry shop to go hang out with sinners and prostitutes not covered in bible class or

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

peanut posted:

Rapunzel-style parenting

It cannot possibly be real.

No.

Not possible.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

naem posted:

Was the part of the bible where Jesus was a drunken hippie who quit his job at his step dad's carpentry shop to go hang out with sinners and prostitutes not covered in bible class or

Come on man, you know the only important parts of the bible are the ones that talk about where you're allowed to put your junk.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I simply cannot fathom someone being so terrified of sex. It's a ton of sticky feel good hilarity.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Nckdictator posted:

It was banned by the school.

1-800-BJ-AND-ME

Probably the most disappointing phone number ever.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
ACE is better than A Beka so post those instread

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I used to roll my eyes at stupid people like bill o rielly when they cried about a culture war and liberal war on Christianity, it all seemed so silly and exaggerated and fake and projecting but reading GBS often makes me consider that they have a point

GBS is a pretty accurate cross-section of America as a whole. You might have a good point here.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We used A Beka books at my school. I knew I recognized that name from somewhere. My favorite was the biology textbook. Instead of having an entire chapter on evolution like a normal highschool biology book, it just had a single little sidebox explaining what Noah's ark was.

What's up with Pensacola and crazy fundies anyway? My science teacher was from there, PCC is there, Dinosaur Adventure Land was there. I've never been to Pensacola but it sounds pretty lovely.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
pcc and bob jones might be the only two college campuses where every entrance is guarded and/or gated

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

comes along bort posted:

pcc and bob jones might be the only two college campuses where every entrance is guarded and/or gated

My college was defended by an armored personnel carrier and campus SWAT team :clint:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never been to Pensacola but it sounds pretty lovely.

you are correct sir it is shithole

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
https://www.facebook.com/everythingisterrible/videos/10155333570625517/
"Synopsis: A father keeps a tight psychological hold on his daughter’s sexuality"

Ask her father for the date

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

I learned about relationships through WWF growing up. It's probably why I don't trust people.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Been perusing the PCC site. Lots of nasty little gems:

quote:

Anti-Harassment
Students have the right to be treated with dignity, free from harassment in any form. Students are responsible to demonstrate Christian kindness and charity in all their relationships. It is the responsibility of any student who believes that he has been the subject of legitimate harassment (not frivolous or groundless allegations) to report the incident immediately to a representative of the Student Life Office who will follow the College’s due process in the investigation of the alleged harassment. Any student who is responsible for harassment will be subject to disciplinary action.

Pretty easy to read between the lines on that one...

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Gay or straight: just get a cat in the house and that house will be full of love.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

CoolCat posted:

Gay or straight: just get a cat in the house and that house will be full of piss

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CoolCat posted:

Gay or straight: just get a dog in the house and that house will be full of love.

Cats don't actually love you, they just instinctively manipulate your emotions so you'll want to take care of them.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Pththya-lyi posted:

Cats don't actually love you, they just instinctively manipulate your emotions so you'll want to take care of them.

Nah, they do

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pththya-lyi posted:

See also babies, adult humans.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Cats are evil, demonic creatures. To avoid even the appearance of tolerating witchcraft and/or other dark arts no cats are permitted on PCC campus, whether in physical or artistic form.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Cats don't seem to demonstrate attachment to their caretakers the way dogs and human babies do.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
everything is using you. nothing truly loves you. you will be alone forever. dont poo poo up this thread with this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
everyone I know that was homeschooled turned out pretty normal. they did sports and played w neighborhood kids and did other normal kid stuff

they were Christian most of em but not fundamentalist. they dated and idk if they boned anyone cause they're drat good at keeping that poo poo on the DL but they were less ignorant of sex stuff than the weird fundamentalist kids i went to public school with

So there's that bit of anecdotal evidemce

• Locked thread