Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The cover letter sounds like a third grader wrote it. The cover letter should describe (1) How your experience is a good fit for the position and (2) How the position is interesting to you. Nobody cares if you are "working on" some certs so take that out.

The resume - getting it down to one page is critical for where you're at - the second page will never be looked at if there is one. So that's good. What goes on it again depends on the details of the position. As it stands, it's pretty good but depending on the position description you could maybe be more clear about emphasizing specific skill sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This version works better for me, specifically because you have got rid of "dream" and toned down the other vague crap. You also put the specific intersection of your skills and their needs right in the first sentence, nice.

When you say something like "I thrive on learning new skills daily" it's just as well to follow that with a short example or anecdote of something useful you learned in a day. Otherwise it's just self-serving babble. Same for everything else in that sentence.

It's "attention to detail", not "attention-to-detail".

Don't say "Please look over this document". They know what they want to look at. Say "More details are in the enclosed resume" or something.

If the job posting is help desk / customer service, mention something in the cover letter about your experience providing rapid and thorough resolutions to caller problems, or some poo poo. Wouldn't hurt to mention your service awards here too.

Phrasing like "tinkering", "plenty of", "great" candidate, exclamation marks is all pretty informal and you might want to consider stepping that up a notch (but without getting stilted - it's a difficult balance!)

Oh, and don't forget how the position is interesting to you. Yes we all need jobs so we can pay the rent, but what kind of progress can you look for in the position? This is also a difficult balance, as someone mentioned before you don't want to imply that you're going to get trained up a bit and move on after 6 months.

• Locked thread