Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've only ever hired for Sys Admin positions, not desktop positions, but if I saw a resume that listed stuff like, 'Creating New Files Paths' and 'Fixing Registry Errors' and 'Configuring Shortcuts', I'd toss that resume immediately. The top item on your resume is 'Senior Help Desk Technician'. The impression I get from someone who has 4 years at that position but still lists 'nothing skills' like 'Printer Setup' makes me immediately assume incompetence and I'd not give you the time of day.

Yeah. I've never hired for tech jobs but this is a very bad resume resume. It's too long AND the content doesn't sell you. Everyone else's advice is spot-on. Most of your competitors have similar experience/skillsets to you, and everyone is going to say that they're amazing. The way that you stand above the rest is by having accomplishments that others don't, making a good case as to how your history makes you well-suited to the job, and appearing reasonable and professional (=not too cocky, not too naive.)

Picking it apart:

Objective statement --> it's jargony and mostly meaningless. The parts about certifications and the length of your experience are good, but belong in the cover letter. "Dedicated, organized, and intelligent" are traits you need to show, not tell.

Skills section --> Write in your cover letter, "I've been tinkering with and configuring computers since the Windows 3.1 days." It doesn't come across from your skill list at all. That just looks like a list of basic computer functions. IF you have a skill list, it should be only stuff that's relevant to your position and that the average computer can't claim. EG: anyone who's ever opened "Excel" could write that on a skill list, but not everyone can write "Excel (macros, pivot tables)."

Position descriptions --> You're on the right track, but too verbose. I bet you can't read each sentence of these out loud without your eyes glazing over. Cut out the least impressive stuff. Cut the self-aggrandizing adverbs and adjectives. Imagine a stranger saying to you, "I used constant newfound product knowledge to thoroughly meet the customer’s needs and makes them aware of present and future sales and promotions." It sounds like he's bragging about something that isn't worth bragging about.

University education --> The paragraph-long description of your program is self-evident from the name. Cut it.
High school --> Your high school performance a decade ago isn't relevant to anything. Cut it.
Honor societies --> Induction dates don't matter. Fold it in to your university education section.

If you can cut your resume down to one page that sounds like a human wrote it, you will be in a way better position already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread