Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014

moana posted:

Maybe this is moot in the digital age, but I always roll my eyes at 2-page resumes with such little substance. I mean, come on, you have seven lines devoted to HIGH SCHOOL. You list every single loving windows operating system. Stop filling up your resume with useless junk. Focus on the important stuff. And by important stuff, I mean whatever is in the job description of the job posting you're applying to. Delete that vague objective, bullet point your actual achievements.

It's not moot. I will not hire a person who submits a 2-page PDF for an intro-level job; it demonstrates that they can't prioritize and present information clearly.

OP, your resume makes me wonder why so many jobs have overlapping dates. Did you work part-time at multiple jobs, or did you get fired a lot? You don't have to list all of your experience on a resume, so be selective. Don't put anything on your resume from more than 10 years ago unless it's really impressive and relevant to what you're looking for.

Charles Martel posted:

Should I get rid of the whole "Skills" section on the right side or just reduce it? I want to drive home that I have been tinkering with and configuring computers since the Windows 3.1 days, so what would be the best way to do that?
Highlight your iPod/iPad and recent Windows troubleshooting more than MS-DOS. Highlight what you've done with Active Directory. Every big company needs people to centralize software deployments across all of their employees' machines, and having experience with that could get your foot in the door just because it distinguishes you as someone who knows there's a need for that process. Hopefully you're also applying at schools, because your skills seem kind of perfect for a school IT department.

Put your bullet points in priority order. If someone was going to read only two of your bullet points, which ones would you want them to read? Put those first. "Top Tech of the Month" doesn't seem like it should be buried at the bottom of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread