Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Maybe this is moot in the digital age, but I always roll my eyes at 2-page resumes with such little substance. I mean, come on, you have seven lines devoted to HIGH SCHOOL. You list every single loving windows operating system. Stop filling up your resume with useless junk. Focus on the important stuff. And by important stuff, I mean whatever is in the job description of the job posting you're applying to. Delete that vague objective, bullet point your actual achievements. Here's an example of what I mean, using a chunk of my old resume:

SAT and Academic Tutor Sept 2007 – 2014
BAD summary:
Worked as a tutor for several years in a multitude of subjects, including algebra, geometry, precalculus, calculus, chemistry, and AP chemistry. Developed relationships with many families in most of the local private and public high schools. Focused on developing the ACT and SAT curriculum in all areas such as math, english, and science. Was promoted to senior tutor after my third year of tutoring and helped run the office, hire, and manage new tutors.

Now, that is a poo poo summary. It's a poo poo summary because it doesn't give any specifics, it doesn't highlight what I did that was different from any other employee, and it doesn't give a clear picture as to how I benefited the company.

GOOD summary:

- Wrote 100-page math curriculum for SAT manual currently used by all students
- Headed academic and SAT prep teams - hired, trained, and supervised ten tutors
- Hired and trained academic director for company expansion to larger location
- Created new revenue stream by selling our SAT and ACT manuals to outside tutoring agencies
- Taught individual and group SAT and academic prep for 200+ families
- 100% positive client feedback in online satisfaction surveys every year
- Acquired 80+ new clients by recommendation, resulting in over $50,000 in additional revenue each year
- Ran company in CEO's absence for one month

Look how much more impressive that is. And so what if only five parents bothered to respond to the survey, I had a 100% positive feedback! Notice the focus on the company - I'm creating revenue for the company, I'm helping the company expand. Think of everything you did that was helpful, and figure out a way to spin it to make you look your best.

Don't put in poo poo that anyone could do. "Put price labels on clothes"?? That's what five year olds do at garage sales. What did you do that showed you had responsibilities? What did you do that showcases your skills? Delete the word utilize from your vocabulary. Why did you get that top performer award? I don't see why from reading your summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

Should I get rid of the whole "Skills" section on the right side or just reduce it? I want to drive home that I have been tinkering with and configuring computers since the Windows 3.1 days, so what would be the best way to do that?
I think it looks better, and I also think you should probably post to SH/SC in that job thread to see if they have any helpful critiques. I'm not a tech person so I don't know what would be best to highlight or how in that regard.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

I bettered myself in that time by shedding almost 100 pounds
I would totally bring this up during the interview if they ask about hobbies or whatnot. It's more impressive than any of your work experience, it shows you have amazing resolve and dedication toward your goals, and you can work hard to make incredible changes.

• Locked thread