Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
How does that ACDC song go again?

BACK IN BLACCCCCKKK Yes I'm Back in blaahaccck. I'm fighting income inequality between the sharks and the shark-nots :bernget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
FanDuel has asked me to verify my personal information in order to keep playing. Anyone else get this request yet? Apparently they're rolling it out slowly so they don't get flooded with responses. The request includes providing them with your social insurance/social security number.

Any of you guys that are more in tune with the legal side of DFS have any insight into this? I get that it's primarily for eligibility verification and tax purposes, but I feel uneasy about giving them that kind of information. Am I just being paranoid/silly?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Gobias Ind. posted:

FanDuel has asked me to verify my personal information in order to keep playing. Anyone else get this request yet? Apparently they're rolling it out slowly so they don't get flooded with responses. The request includes providing them with your social insurance/social security number.

Any of you guys that are more in tune with the legal side of DFS have any insight into this? I get that it's primarily for eligibility verification and tax purposes, but I feel uneasy about giving them that kind of information. Am I just being paranoid/silly?

As always LegalSportsReport

http://www.legalsportsreport.com/6204/fanduel-identity-verification/

In short, this is what regulated online gambling does (i.e. poker). But FanDuel and DFS is still unregulated, so your reservations are understandable. As always, play at your own risk.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Gobias Ind. posted:

My cousin and myself both play and he lives with us so we both had to verify our info in order to make sure there wasn't any cross accounting. It wasn't anything more than name address and proof of ID so I wasn't too worried, you would need that information when you go to cash out anyway.

I wouldn't give them a SSN or anything like that though, and my withdrawal structure is via paypal so I don't worry.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Yuzenn posted:

My cousin and myself both play and he lives with us so we both had to verify our info in order to make sure there wasn't any cross accounting. It wasn't anything more than name address and proof of ID so I wasn't too worried, you would need that information when you go to cash out anyway.

I wouldn't give them a SSN or anything like that though, and my withdrawal structure is via paypal so I don't worry.

I tried submitting the form without including my SIN, but it won't accept. I'm leery of the whole thing. Are you on FanDuel that it let you do that? Or was it a different site?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Gobias Ind. posted:

I tried submitting the form without including my SIN, but it won't accept. I'm leery of the whole thing. Are you on FanDuel that it let you do that? Or was it a different site?

I gave up on Fanduel because I hate the non PPR scoring and in between what seems to be a higher rake and no $0.25 contests I blew threw 20 bucks and called it quits.

Draftkings hasn't asked me for my SSN yet but if I needed it to withdraw the money in the account i'd give it. Otherwise I somewhat think you don't need that info for me to put money in and play, my drivers license number is fine enough.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I would do Draft Kings over Fan Duel as well. I play larger stakes in general, so don't know about the smaller game choice, but getting rid of the stupid kicker variance, a slightly smaller rake (last I checked), and better game selection is preferable for me in general. Asking for my SS# to play more would put that choice over the top.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The hearing in NY is tomorrow. It'll be interesting what the outcome is, although I doubt a verdict will be reached tomorrow, I suppose it is possible the judge could issue an injunction.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I absolutely love the 25-cent DraftKings games and wish FanDuel offered them too. I've been putting hundreds of lineups into them the last month or so, with some success. Although it can be kind of frustrating. I spent all afternoon yesterday trying to switch Rawls into as many lineups as possible while the DK lineup page was taking a minute to respond to every click (due to having so many lineups).

(This is why I hope they will resolve the scripting controversy by building features that one would write scripts for directly into the site. I doubt it will happen though)

That said, using the SSN thing as a reason to prefer DK over FD seems silly. Asking for your SSN is a sign of them being less shady, in my opinion: taking more precautions with the fluid legal situation, strengthening relationships with partners (e.g. payment processors), etc. If you want DFS sites to be regulated and protect you from fraud and whatnot, then you have to be okay with them asking for your SSN. (You don't have to be okay with giving it, if you don't feel they've made enough changes yet, sure. But this is clearly part of them taking steps in that direction.) I wouldn't be surprised to see DraftKings follow FanDuel here. Many of the smaller sites also ask for SSNs even before you attempt to withdraw.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I absolutely love the 25-cent DraftKings games and wish FanDuel offered them too. I've been putting hundreds of lineups into them the last month or so, with some success. Although it can be kind of frustrating. I spent all afternoon yesterday trying to switch Rawls into as many lineups as possible while the DK lineup page was taking a minute to respond to every click (due to having so many lineups).

(This is why I hope they will resolve the scripting controversy by building features that one would write scripts for directly into the site. I doubt it will happen though)

That said, using the SSN thing as a reason to prefer DK over FD seems silly. Asking for your SSN is a sign of them being less shady, in my opinion: taking more precautions with the fluid legal situation, strengthening relationships with partners (e.g. payment processors), etc. If you want DFS sites to be regulated and protect you from fraud and whatnot, then you have to be okay with them asking for your SSN. (You don't have to be okay with giving it, if you don't feel they've made enough changes yet, sure. But this is clearly part of them taking steps in that direction.) I wouldn't be surprised to see DraftKings follow FanDuel here. Many of the smaller sites also ask for SSNs even before you attempt to withdraw.

The biggest complaint I have is not being allowed to mass update submitted lineups. What I have been doing is just making my lineups beforehand since you can store lineups, make any necessary changes right before the lock, and then mass submitting them to all the contests.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Can you explain what kind of mass editing you are doing before submitting? I've never really had lineups up there more than the time it takes to submit them.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

jabro posted:

The biggest complaint I have is not being allowed to mass update submitted lineups. What I have been doing is just making my lineups beforehand since you can store lineups, make any necessary changes right before the lock, and then mass submitting them to all the contests.

You can mass update player swaps but if you have to make multiple swaps at once you need to do them by lineup. I don't know how many lineups you have at once but I usually do around 24 quarter lineups and 2-4 double up lineups a week and I had no problems swapping out lynch for rawls and shifting much more heavy to Amendola in the flex to afford hopkins and jones.

For those who play NBA draftkings is also far superior, fanduel doesn't give extra points for double doubles or triple doubles and you can have an entire lineup tank off the back of one high priced underperformance. The pricing is also fair enough on DK to allow for some bargain prices for values and allows you to include many more studs. NBA games are much more funneled towards superstars but there are plenty of players who get good minutes that can get you value for a double double dependant on matchup and starting opportunities. The ability to research for value seems much more intuitive and makes it feel like less of a crapshoot and more entertaining.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Yuzenn posted:

You can mass update player swaps but if you have to make multiple swaps at once you need to do them by lineup. I don't know how many lineups you have at once but I usually do around 24 quarter lineups and 2-4 double up lineups a week and I had no problems swapping out lynch for rawls and shifting much more heavy to Amendola in the flex to afford hopkins and jones.

For those who play NBA draftkings is also far superior, fanduel doesn't give extra points for double doubles or triple doubles and you can have an entire lineup tank off the back of one high priced underperformance. The pricing is also fair enough on DK to allow for some bargain prices for values and allows you to include many more studs. NBA games are much more funneled towards superstars but there are plenty of players who get good minutes that can get you value for a double double dependant on matchup and starting opportunities. The ability to research for value seems much more intuitive and makes it feel like less of a crapshoot and more entertaining.

Agreed that draftkings is, in my opinion a superior experience than fanduel for all those reasons but i have noticed they have been pricing very aggressively compared to what I remember last year. Of course there still is value but the even last year i feel like, for example, it would have taken like half a season of Rondo playing like he is for his price to jump from like 6000 to 9000.

Another point in draftkings favor is the -.5 point per turnover which makes someone like Mudiay or D'angelo Russell a more viable play. Then again you can just always play PG 13 and win all the money all time because boy is a grown rear end man.

Edit: also maybe its already been posted (im such an absentee landlord) but theres a guy on the reddit collecting millionaire maker data for the max entry sharks and surprise surprise theyre for the most part consistents loser at least for this contest Basically do not ever go chalk in gpps unless you're maxadalury and going 100% exposure to Randall cobb in week 3 win you a million dollars.
https://m.reddit.com/r/dfsports/comments/3u570l/nfl_week_11_draftkings_milly_maker_results/

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 25, 2015

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Sorry for double post. The modern smartphone is tricky to navigate.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

Edit: also maybe its already been posted (im such an absentee landlord) but theres a guy on the reddit collecting millionaire maker data for the max entry sharks and surprise surprise theyre for the most part consistents loser at least for this contest Basically do not ever go chalk in gpps unless you're maxadalury and going 100% exposure to Randall cobb in week 3 win you a million dollars.
https://m.reddit.com/r/dfsports/comments/3u570l/nfl_week_11_draftkings_milly_maker_results/

That's really cool. There's so much data I wish I could grab from the games (e.g. the 50/50 cash lines from every past slate would be a great benchmark to have) but I don't want to get banned for scripting. If only the sites would make their databases public once the contests close. How sick would that be? There'd be so much interesting analysis done by the community.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ugh DK now is limiting the 25-cent games to 50 entries. This ruins my strategy. At least they could have 50-cent games or something in-between, as I can't afford the kind of volume at $1 that would make me comfortable with the sample size...and it seems even the $1 games have a 50-entry limit. Need to go up to $3 before you hit a 500-entry limit. This is stupid. I'm all for protecting the beginners from the sharks but they're squeezing out the players in-between.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If youre not buried with work like me today, legal sports report is live tweeting the New York dfs hearings. David Boies (represented Gore in Bush v Gore, other very high profile legal cases) is counsel for draftkings

https://twitter.com/LSPReport

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Welp. No decision about an injunction, but the judge said he'll make his decision within the next 1-2 weeks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The SituAsian posted:

If youre not buried with work like me today, legal sports report is live tweeting the New York dfs hearings. David Boies (represented Gore in Bush v Gore, other very high profile legal cases) is counsel for draftkings

https://twitter.com/LSPReport

"Bad move by State's attorney: she is actually reading from her notepad. Not word for word, but using it as a crutch. Just talk to us"

"Actually, she's reading from a script. This is not an effective way to use oral argument"

"She is still reading! I am stunned. So ineffective. Odds of a FD/DK win are inching up"

lol

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I'm having trouble withdrawing my balance ($44.xx) into my paypal. I'm in Manitoba and the province isn't listed in the dropdown box.

Are there any Canadians who are also having issues issues withdrawing to their paypal?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Draftkings is running black friday "discounts" on three large NBA GPPs on Friday. The 300K 3 Ball ($285 to enter from $300), 250K Sharpshooter (25.59 from 27) and 250K (2.70 from 3)

https://www.draftkings.com/lobby#/NBA/0/All

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Is there a way to use draft kings to bet on the chances of draft kings staying legal in NY or is that considered gambling?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...0b68f8ee413f2b9

quote:

A New York judge granted injunctions sought by the state's attorney general to bar DraftKings and FanDuel from doing business in the state.

Manuel Mendez, a justice for the Supreme Court of the State of New York, wrote in seperate rulings released Friday that New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman was within his authority to seek an injunction against the daily fantasy sites and granted the injunction.

Mendez also denied motions temporary preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order sought to prevent Schneiderman from taking enforcement action against the sites.

Damien LaVera, a spokesperson for the Attorney General, told USA TODAY Sports the office would have a response to the rulings soon. DraftKings and FanDuel could not immediately be reached for comment.

The New York Attorney General ignited these fireworks when it sent a cease-and-desist order to these companies last month, declaring them to be illegal gambling operations. DraftKings and FanDuel responded by suing Schneiderman in an effort to stay in business in New York, arguing they offered legal games of skill and not games of chance like traditional gambling.

Schneiderman disagreed and sued to have the companies shut down in his state. An emergency hearing then was granted before Justice Mendez in New York City on Nov. 25.

COURT RULING: DraftKings injunction

COURT RULING: FanDuel injunction

Both companies have faced a thunderstorm of legal controversy since October -- a flurry of civil lawsuits from consumers, a grand jury in Florida, possible regulation in several states and even a Justice Department inquiry.

After years of operating without regulation, the sudden drama threatened their very existence in the U.S., making things awkward for the sports leagues and teams that have sponsorships or investments in them, including the NBA, which owns a stake in FanDuel.

FanDuel was founded in 2009, and Draft Kings started offering daily fantasy sports in 2012. Together, both startup companies dominated the daily fantasy sports market, but they didn’t seem to get on the radar of prosecutors and lawmakers until this year, when they started to heavily advertise on television near the start of the NFL season.

The ads bragged about how easy it was for regular fans to win big cash jackpots every week – a marketing strategy they hoped would help them grow toward profitability by gaining new customers.

The strategy seemed to be working. But then came another controversy to fan the flames. A DraftKings employee won $350,000 on a FanDuel contest, raising suspicions about possible insider trading. Though the companies denied wrongdoing, the case attracted more unwelcome legal attention, including from Schneiderman.

Daily fantasy sports differs from traditional fantasy sports, which is played over the course of a season instead of a day or week. Schneiderman’s office distinguished between the two and did not seek to crack down on traditional fantasy sports, which have been around for decades.

“Unlike traditional fantasy sports, (daily fantasy sports) is designed for instant gratification, stressing easy game play and no long-term strategy,” Schneiderman’s office said in its cease-and-desist letter in November.

In exchange for an entry fee, daily fantasy sports companies offer fans a chance to win cash prizes based on the statistical performance of players in real-life events that day or week. The immediacy of the transaction more closely resembles traditional sports gambling, which is largely illegal outside of Nevada.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

This thread seems to be dying a slow death and I like daily fantasy so let's talk about some data! I plugged my FanDuel history for this season into FantasyPro's ROI Analyzer and got this:

I'm a casual player; my usual week is 3-4 $5 GPP lineups, and 1-2 $25-50 double/triple up lineups. I have a few GPPs this week that will likely hit tonight, so that should boost my GPP ROI by a couple bucks.

Some things I have learned this year:
  • I experimented with high-volume (for me), low-buyin ($1-2) H2H's for two weeks. I cherrypicked low-win opponents using that browser extension and still ate poo poo. I found that on average, the score line for H2H's was significantly higher than that of double ups. I stopped entering H2H's for that reason.
  • I moved from primarily entering double-ups to primarily entering triple-ups about mid season, and got a little better at safer lineup construction for those kinds of contests. I did this because anecdotally, it seems like 95% of the time when I win a double-up, the score would have been good enough to win a triple-up.
  • I'm doing well in GPPs, and the numbers are not skewed by any really big wins. I think this is because I listen to a non-DFS podcast that has a weekly FanDuel tournament. It's golden. Many players on it are there because of the podcast and don't know anything about DFS. I would recommend finding and playing in these kinds of tournaments whenever possible; the scoring lines are generally well below typical GPPs.
  • Most weeks I take my favorite tourney lineup and enter it into a large-field GPP. It is almost always my worst-performing lineup.

In general I am a DFS babby and I would love to see the output of some other players to see if we can draw any other conclusions.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 14, 2015

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I made a whopping $1.00 and change after 8 weeks in my first year. I'll be back next year.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
While I feel DFS was always destined to die down as a result of fatigue from mainly overexposure but also players not having as much disposable income during the poker boom days it really feels like #DKleak, Ethan Haskell and the resulting scrutiny is really what's killed it, at least for now. Since NFL Week 1 we've had Nevada and New York players banned from playing and just today the attorney general of Illinois states that DFS is illegal under state law. Her decision doesn't look like it's going to lead to sites immediately withdrawing as they did in New York and Nevada but it's just indicatative of the environment.

To add my own personal anecdote to this in week 1 a bunch of people at work started up a weekly $5 draftkings game. It eventually grew to about 20 out of ~200 people in the office (with a few friends/relatives), within 4 weeks of DKleak like half of the people dropped out and I'm pretty sure it's dead now.

From a libertarian perspective-not crazy kill you're parents Ron Paul style, more just the government should stay out of personal business leanings-I definitely prefer that dfs remain strictly speaking legal but I would much rather it is regulated than as it was before. It would probably never be a fraction what it was at it's peak, however brief that was, but I would much rather have a safe small game than a huge rigged one.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I was hoping that it would pave a way for poker to become legal quicker but now it looks like we're back to square one. I did love seeing more hypocrisy from all the leagues showing how they only hate gambling if they are not getting a cut.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah it seems like DKGate gave people a semi-legit reason to hate DFS. Prior to that they just had "I want this to fail so I don't have to see commercials" which is really petty. Now they can just say "see? It's corrupt I told you" and ignore it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Full disclosure: I am a 36-year-old dude who bores easily, drinks I.P.A.s and wears sports-themed T-shirts, especially ones with faded, nostalgic logos that suggest better times. In my early 20s, I developed a gambling problem that I’ve since learned to spread out over a variety of low-stakes games — Scrabble, pitch-and-putt golf, my stock profile on ETrade. I watch somewhere between six and 20 hours of basketball per week. I try to keep up with the usual cultural things — documentaries about conflict in South Sudan, Netflix binge shows, memes — but whenever I find myself awake in the early morning and there is no email to answer and no news to track, I watch SportsCenter, or I scan the previous night’s N.B.A. box scores to check up on Porzingis, or I read some dissertation on Johnny Cueto’s unusual ability to hold runners on first base. It’s not the most glamorous way to spend my time, but what can I do? My mind, at its most aimless, obsessively seeks out sports information. I am, in other words, the target demographic for the daily fantasy sports industry.

Since the start of this N.F.L. season, I have lost roughly $1,900 on DraftKings and FanDuel,

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm always torn about articles like that. On the one hand, there are definitely issues with DFS, including the shark tank atmosphere where 5 dudes win most of the money on volume, it's easy to get carried away, it's kinda a suckers game, etc.

On the other, it's hard to read about a guy with an admitted gambling problem who is bad at DFS and decide that means it's not fair. Of course a degenerate gambler who loses all the time but can't stop playing is gonna lose money. He'd lose that money playing poker or slot machines or F2P iPhone games too.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

He also didn't really do any research as to how to avoid the toughest competition, and ignored (or more charitably, misunderstood) the advice he was given as to which games to enter.

I won't claim there aren't any problems, but none of this is new. In response to these issues over the last several months, the sites have banned employees, introduced beginner games, lowered buy-in limits to multi-entry tournaments, introduced limits on the number of low-entry games any one player can play, introduced a stricter script policy, and made several controversial scripting features available to everyone as core features of the website.

There are still more protections needed but the sites have been doing just about everything critics are asking for. And yet no one is attributing to them even the least bit of good faith.

Finally, I can't stand the way people assume that multi-entering tournaments is basically a way to print money. If you think it's easy, go put up 100 lineups in a 25-cent tournament. You don't need to be a high-roller to try it. And on the flip side, if you look at everyone who regularly enters 100+ lineups into the most expensive tournaments, just about all of them are down money over the course of a season.

Someone buying $1000 of Powerball tickets doesn't affect the odds of my ticket winning. And if I wanted better odds I'd play a smaller game.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

He also didn't really do any research as to how to avoid the toughest competition, and ignored (or more charitably, misunderstood) the advice he was given as to which games to enter.

I won't claim there aren't any problems, but none of this is new. In response to these issues over the last several months, the sites have banned employees, introduced beginner games, lowered buy-in limits to multi-entry tournaments, introduced limits on the number of low-entry games any one player can play, introduced a stricter script policy, and made several controversial scripting features available to everyone as core features of the website.

There are still more protections needed but the sites have been doing just about everything critics are asking for. And yet no one is attributing to them even the least bit of good faith.

Finally, I can't stand the way people assume that multi-entering tournaments is basically a way to print money. If you think it's easy, go put up 100 lineups in a 25-cent tournament. You don't need to be a high-roller to try it. And on the flip side, if you look at everyone who regularly enters 100+ lineups into the most expensive tournaments, just about all of them are down money over the course of a season.

Someone buying $1000 of Powerball tickets doesn't affect the odds of my ticket winning. And if I wanted better odds I'd play a smaller game.

It's entertainment pure and simple, but it's also gambling no matter how you want to describe it via current law. To me it's much more exciting and fun than the sports book that I use in Australia because of where I live.

Like was said above, no amount of changes are going to keep people with a gambling problem from blowing a ton of money.....and that's not the fault of the website. I do appreciate that both websites are less shark friendly and it's made the whole experience a lot better for me personally with a limited bankroll.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this isn't something that the writer should get credit for, but i did take away from that article the useful bit of info that there are some important differences between DFS and, say, online poker. the difference being that the DFS player can much more effectively and insidiously hunt for fish and evade detection. this is due to the fact that DFS is generally an asynchronous game, versus a synchronous poker game. the DFS player can sit back and let their scripts do the work, while the poker player must actually sit at the ready, even if they are multi-tabling, and their ability to play is limited by the human brain's ability to multi-task and process information. the asynchronous aspect also might encourage shadier sharks to adopt strategies such as having multiple accounts, so that they can avoid being highlighted as such. the sound and fury of these mainstream media thinkpieces is of course not equal to the weight of anyone who is really conversant in the game, but such subtle issues are important to account for and understand.

p.s. Surgical i am super lazy at coding, im sorry

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this isn't something that the writer should get credit for, but i did take away from that article the useful bit of info that there are some important differences between DFS and, say, online poker. the difference being that the DFS player can much more effectively and insidiously hunt for fish and evade detection. this is due to the fact that DFS is generally an asynchronous game, versus a synchronous poker game. the DFS player can sit back and let their scripts do the work, while the poker player must actually sit at the ready, even if they are multi-tabling, and their ability to play is limited by the human brain's ability to multi-task and process information. the asynchronous aspect also might encourage shadier sharks to adopt strategies such as having multiple accounts, so that they can avoid being highlighted as such. the sound and fury of these mainstream media thinkpieces is of course not equal to the weight of anyone who is really conversant in the game, but such subtle issues are important to account for and understand.

p.s. Surgical i am super lazy at coding, im sorry

I'm not sure I agree with your comparison to poker, as far as fish-hunting. I played online poker back in the day and everyone used programs that tracked the stats of yourself and everyone at your table. Advice was to leave the table if there wasn't anyone to target. And when you were targeting someone it would not simply be because they were a poor player, but also to take advantage of specific systematic weakness in their game, picked up by your stat tracker.

In DFS, there's fish-hunting going on in H2H games, but not only are there ways to avoid it (e.g. on DraftKings you can set that you can only play each opponent once) you can also just avoid H2Hs. The author's idea that he is being fish-hunted in tournaments and 50/50s comes across as pure paranoia.

Interesting point about the synchony aspect though. It's true that if you're devoting a full-time schedule to DFS you're not going to be limited in the number of lineups you can construct except by the site's limits. But again, I don't think multi-entering is inherently predatory or unfair or whatever.

In any case I think the best we can hope for is that there is some kind of security arms race between the DFS sites and the would-be rulebreakers, just as in other areas of internet life. I don't see any reason to believe that the DFS sites are purposefully letting the rulebreakers win, which is what the authors of these articles seem to be implying.

Not sure what you're getting at re: you're lazy at coding...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Yahoo emailed me about some freeroll, so I entered and won $1.

Infinite ROI bitches!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is there an actual sports betting thread or can I post about it here? (I'm in the UK so it's actually legal)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Welp, according to CNBC the payment processor for FD and DK just pulled out on both of them. That sounds like game over for DFS. Glad I cashed out a few weeks ago.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/sports/draftkings-fanduel-vantiv-daily-fantasy.html?_r=0

Looks like the drop dead is 2/29. There's gonna be a run on the banks and DK/FD are gonna crash and burn.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/sports/football/draftkings-and-fanduel-stop-taking-bets-in-new-york.html

The writing is on the wall, biggest state down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

DFS sites are also in litigation with Texas and Illinois. FWIW I know there are a number of bills explicitly legalizing dfs passing through those state legislatures so the positive spin could be that they want to stay off the attorney general's shitlist before they come back but it seems like it will get worse before-and if-it gets better.

• Locked thread