Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I just cant stop min-cashing these $5 GPPs for like $7. I mean, its better than losing I suppose but I need to rethink my strategy for higher upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
That Charles Clay touchdown that got called back cost me hundreds of bucks, and Melvin Gordon not getting a rushing TD at the drat ONE yard line also screwed me.

Up for the week though, and the sweet Edelman/Brady/Gronk/Lewis stack is back! Time to do some cash games.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Ozu posted:

I just cant stop min-cashing these $5 GPPs for like $7. I mean, its better than losing I suppose but I need to rethink my strategy for higher upside.

Me too. I think I need to rely a bit less on projections and more on the Fan Duel ownership % in constructing my GPP lineups. Being a slave to projections means that you basically put in cash lineups with a stack, which is often enough to cash, but almost never enough to cash high.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CompeAnansi posted:

For it being a weird, low scoring week, I did alright. It really helped me that Monday night football was low scoring since I didn't have anyone in it. Ended up getting 180% of my entry fees back across the three sites I played this week, which is pretty nice. Would be even nicer if I was actually playing with big money, but nice nonetheless. How'd everyone else do?

EDIT: I also totally called Randle sucking this week, which is the most important victory in my mind. He did fall into a TD, but was awful otherwise and didn't even hit 2x value.

I made ~225 or so on FanDuel this week; I'm floating around 150 around in $50/$25 tournaments and finishing in the money in a couple weekly. I don't expect it to be sustainable, so maybe I should just cash out while i'm ahead.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Extremely small sample size results through 4 weeks

Fanduel: -50% ROI

Fantasydraft +600% ROI

I don't know what I'm doing wrong on Fanduel when I can't even cash the rookie 50/50s, but I'm having fun on Fantasydraft with the flatter payouts and constant overlay. You're not going to win a million bucks there or anything, but Fantasydraft seems perfect for low-rollers like me. And there's no loving kickers.

Plus they had a contest where everyone who beat Jimmy Johnson won a ticket to their $25 GPP next week, and Jimmy finished in the bottom 3rd. :laugh:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Fanduel and Draftkings have permanently banned employees from playing on any dfs sites

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/13827269/fanduel-permanently-bans-employees-playing-dfs-money-amid-inquiry

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 7, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Only [days since DFS sites were founded] days too late!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I know I come off like a shill or apologist, but I think banning employees from playing other sites is a bad move in the long run. Obviously it needs to happen now, until their data integrity policies are improved, but I don't think it's a good thing for this to have to happen.

For one, I don't want people who don't play to be setting the prices and designing new contests.

Also, would people care if an ESPN employee played season-long Yahoo pro leagues? I'm sure there are tons of private data in season-long that could be used to an advantage in other leagues. I am legitimately curious: those of you who agree with the banning as a permanent move, how do you feel about the equivalent in season-long?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I know I come off like a shill or apologist, but I think banning employees from playing other sites is a bad move in the long run. Obviously it needs to happen now, until their data integrity policies are improved, but I don't think it's a good thing for this to have to happen.

For one, I don't want people who don't play to be setting the prices and designing new contests.

Also, would people care if an ESPN employee played season-long Yahoo pro leagues? I'm sure there are tons of private data in season-long that could be used to an advantage in other leagues. I am legitimately curious: those of you who agree with the banning as a permanent move, how do you feel about the equivalent in season-long?

I can only speak for Draftkings playing because I play there mostly but the sharks are setting the prices and designing new contests, I just didn't think the Sharks were partially DFS employees, I figured they were just the rest of the ex-poker players.

And for season long leagues, who cares? These aren't being managed through the websites, they are being managed by off website league managers. There isn't nearly as much daily money being exchanged and also is a much more casual medium. I don't think I'd care in that instance.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yuzenn posted:

I can only speak for Draftkings playing because I play there mostly but the sharks are setting the prices and designing new contests, I just didn't think the Sharks were partially DFS employees, I figured they were just the rest of the ex-poker players.
Not sure what you mean by this, maybe we're not understanding each other. How could it be anyone other than DraftKings employees who designed the contests and set the prices at DraftKings?

Yuzenn posted:

And for season long leagues, who cares? These aren't being managed through the websites, they are being managed by off website league managers. There isn't nearly as much daily money being exchanged and also is a much more casual medium. I don't think I'd care in that instance.
I'm not talking about the commissioners, I'm talking about (for example) developers who work on Yahoo Fantasy. In theory they could look up data that is not available to the public, like what waiver claims are being made before they process, and use that their advantage on other public money sites. This is on par with the accusations being made against DFS site developers simply for working at a DFS site. If you would feel cheated for having played in a DraftKings GPP with a FanDuel employee in it, then I don't understand why you wouldn't feel cheated for having played in a Yahoo Pro League with an nfl.com fantasy developer.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 8, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It doesn't actually matter whether the dude cheated or even whether he could have. The two major face companies of a brand new billion dollar industry with already shaky PR based on its connection to old poker industry and its status as sort of gambling need to avoid any whiff of possible impropriety. Even if that means being too draconian on their employees and being a little unfair to them.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Based on the current PR situation, yes. But from day one? I disagree. And it's not an issue of being fair to their employees, it's an issue of being able to put out a good product. If they had banned employees from day one I just don't see how they could have been nearly as successful.

To me it comes off like restricting everyone who works at a bank from ever investing money anywhere. Clearly I'm in the minority with that opinion but if the data integrity problems never occur I don't see how employees playing on another site looks improper.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
SO I think the issue here is you don't understand the reason this is a problem. Ownership data between fantasy sites and even waiver data are useless statistics (they're basically driven by the content on the front page of the fantasy portion of the site). If it made an appreciable difference, you would have to apply your inside data once a week every week for sixteen weeks to help you take down the vaunted pro league title and like a thousand bucks or whatever.

In theory he did this once and made hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The tippy top put in dozens of lineups and by knowing ownership data, they can optimize the lineups to differentiate themselves enough from the rest of the tournament to give them enough of an edge to take down big money. It's not analogous to pro leagues or a bank at all. It's more like insider trading.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ESPN posted:

FanDuel spokesperson Justine Sacco told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the company's internal data showed that DraftKings employees won 0.3 percent of the money the company has awarded in its history. While Sacco wouldn't disclose the specific number, it is known the company has given out nearly $2 billion, which would put the DraftKings employees' winnings at around $6 million.

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/13827269/fanduel-permanently-bans-employees-playing-dfs-money-amid-inquiry

That's quite a bit more than one guy getting lucky.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It's also important to note that multiple teams cannot own the same players in a season long league. In a season long league, you're more likely to win if you own a player that lots of other teams own, which is the complete opposite of daily leagues.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Guys, winning isn't evidence of cheating. I can't believe I need to say that. And the sites have been hiring DFS experts, because---surprise---they are well qualified to work on DFS products. Most of them were just as successful before they were hired, if not more so due to reversion to the mean. It's well known in the industry that if you want to work for a site you should win some tournaments to prove that you know what you're doing. Kind of like in other industries, where past success helps you get a job in the future.

old dog child posted:

It's also important to note that multiple teams cannot own the same players in a season long league. In a season long league, you're more likely to win if you own a player that lots of other teams own, which is the complete opposite of daily leagues.

Right, so the analogy would be (for example) looking up who the top waiver claims are on the site you work at, and then claiming those guys on the site you play on.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 8, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yes but as I said, all that matters now is the avoidance of any semblance of impropriety. The question of whether they should have been banned from the beginning isn't terribly relevant. They have to be banned now, even though that honestly sucks for them since they are pros, and will likely lead to pros not wanting to work for the sites in the future.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Right, so the analogy would be (for example) looking up who the top waiver claims are on the site you work at, and then claiming those guys on the site you play on.

This is literally a useless exercise. It's more like having access to your league's FAAB bids and being able to bid $1 more on the players you want.

And also forcing other players to trade with you.

And also forcing other players to leave your preferred draft picks.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

That''s a dumb example. Here's the secret to finding out the top claims: read Rotoworld. Shocking, I know.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Spoeank posted:

This is literally a useless exercise. It's more like having access to your league's FAAB bids and being able to bid $1 more on the players you want.

And also forcing other players to trade with you.

And also forcing other players to leave your preferred draft picks.

What? Even the worst accusations are nothing like that. The issue is DFS employees playing on sites other than the site they work at. They've never been able to play on their employer's site.

old dog child posted:

That''s a dumb example. Here's the secret to finding out the top claims: read Rotoworld. Shocking, I know.

That's exactly my point. The best way to find out what the ownership levels will be on a DFS game are to look them up on FantasyPros.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That's exactly my point. The best way to find out what the ownership levels will be on a DFS game are to look them up on FantasyPros.

No. FantasyPros does not have future ownership levels. They have projections, i.e. guesses.

Anyways, despite how miserably you presented your argument, I'm pretty sure I agree with you that banning all employees from any DFS involvement in the long run isn't a solution, because either 1) there will be no long run or 2) regulation will include impartial 3rd parties that will define exactly who knows what, so only specific employees that are on the Game Integrity Team will be banned.

Random but relevant link to Chris Grove's live updated FAQs:
http://www.legalsportsreport.com/4548/draftkings-data-leak-faq/

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

No. FantasyPros does not have future ownership levels. They have projections, i.e. guesses.

Right, but the accusation is that ownership levels on DraftKings were used to gain an advantage on FanDuel. In that sense, the former were (allegedly) used as an estimate of the latter. My point is that the FantasyPros projections of FanDuel ownership levels provide a better estimate of FanDuel ownership levels than the actual DraftKings ownership levels do. If the actual DraftKings ownership levels were known by people entering DraftKings contests, then yes this is completely different.

Even ignoring the existence of explicit projections of ownership levels, the analogy to the season-long waiver wire holds up. Having premature access to waiver wire claims (in leagues other than your own) would not be that valuable because it is pretty easy to figure out who people will claim by reading articles, watching SportsCenter, etc. Similarly, having premature access to ownership levels (in leagues other than your own) would not be that valuable because it is pretty easy to figure out who people will play by reading articles, watching SportsCenter, etc.

This is an irrelevant derail though (and entirely my fault; apologies) because even if the advantage is minimal it still shouldn't be allowed. I agree that your (2) is the most likely outcome here. I welcome the third-party investigation and will be surprised if they find anything more damning than incompetence or carelessness. My original post defending the (eventual) ability of (certain) employees to play at other sites was just in response to this comment:

Spoeank posted:

Only [days since DFS sites were founded] days too late!
I strongly disagree with the implication that all DFS employees should be banned from playing entirely, and especially take issue with the implication that this is obvious and not worth discussing. I think it's a discussion worth having going forward,. But yeah, now's not the time. I'll shut up about it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I find it funny you're putting up a passionate defense of the system within a week of them showing exactly why they shouldn't be allowed to play DFS given their access to privileged information.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Can someone talk me out of starting Alex Smith against Chicago @ KC? $5,500 seems like a deal on DK

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I have a couple lineups with him. I usually stack with Jamaal Charles because when they score it will be mostly him, and PPR for all of Alex Smith's dumpoffs should be pretty solid.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
So apparently FanDuel is running a promotion that if you participated in paid football games for at least 2 of the first 4 weeks of the season you are entered into a Week 5 Freeroll with a chance to win a car. I played all 4, so I can win a Porche 911 Turbo - I only need to beat like 500,000 people.

I thought I had been hacked because it just popped up in my Upcoming Games list with the worst roster I've ever seen. It was just a bunch of dudes on the IR. So if you qualify make sure to check and see if you're entered and then edit your roster.

3 of 4 weeks has a chance at a Ford Mustang
2 of 4 is a Mini

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My Porsche 911 entry has Sean Mannion at QB. :toot:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gobias Ind. posted:

So apparently FanDuel is running a promotion that if you participated in paid football games for at least 2 of the first 4 weeks of the season you are entered into a Week 5 Freeroll with a chance to win a car. I played all 4, so I can win a Porche 911 Turbo - I only need to beat like 500,000 people.

I thought I had been hacked because it just popped up in my Upcoming Games list with the worst roster I've ever seen. It was just a bunch of dudes on the IR. So if you qualify make sure to check and see if you're entered and then edit your roster.

3 of 4 weeks has a chance at a Ford Mustang
2 of 4 is a Mini

Get a job at DK to increase your odds.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Going Brady/Charles/Bell-heavy in most of my 50/50's this week. Let's hope Blount doesn't get 5 TD's this week. Also liking Crowder and Kendall Wright @ WR, though I may switch up Wright.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Here's what I'm thinking about for my DraftKings head-to-head games:

QB Palmer 6,600 @ DET
RB Forsett 5,800 v CLE
RB Yeldon 4,400 @ TB
WR Jones 9,200 v WAS
WR Fitzgerald 6,800 @ DET
WR Maclin 6,000 v CHI
TE Daniels 2,700 @ OAK
Flex Wright 5,400 v BUF
DST Giants 2,900 v SF

Gotta start your TEs against Oakland. Forsett and Yeldon should get enough work against bad defenses to make them worth it. Maclin's been on fire the last 2 games and I think he can do it again in a shootout with a bad Chicago D.

railroad terror posted:

Going Brady/Charles/Bell-heavy in most of my 50/50's this week. Let's hope Blount doesn't get 5 TD's this week. Also liking Crowder and Kendall Wright @ WR, though I may switch up Wright.
Crowder has potential this week. Blount could be a sneaky play too. I think NE blows out Dallas and the 4th quarter is garbage time yards for Blount when Lewis comes out.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Hopkins is a total stud. He hit 4.29x value on DK without a TD and got 22.4 on Yahoo (not sure how to do value calculations with their pricing). He's a weekly start until we have reason to think his target count will decrease.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I played the Monday/Thursday night game with $50k to first place -- added in Jaelen Strong at the last minute. Even with 135k people and only two games, Strong was only owned by 0.4% of players. Incredible. Unfortunately it didn't matter in the end because I picked the Houston D instead of the Detroit D (22 points to 1 point). If I had picked Detroit, I'd have ended up with a nice $500 payday. Ohhh well.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

railroad terror posted:

I played the Monday/Thursday night game with $50k to first place -- added in Jaelen Strong at the last minute. Even with 135k people and only two games, Strong was only owned by 0.4% of players. Incredible. Unfortunately it didn't matter in the end because I picked the Houston D instead of the Detroit D (22 points to 1 point). If I had picked Detroit, I'd have ended up with a nice $500 payday. Ohhh well.

The good news is that almost every mashup of those monday/thursday lineups most people had at least cashed in if you had Dhop on the teams and DIDN'T chose the texans D. I never expected to get 9 bucks from those poo poo lineups but gently caress it, i'll take it.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

haha.. just read this DK email that came in

quote:

As the three co-founders of DraftKings, we want to speak to you directly about what has been going on.

We know that you play DraftKings because it's fun and because it gives you a chance to showcase your skills against millions of other fans, and we know that you cannot do that without a level playing field.

The fairness and integrity of our contests has been at the heart of everything we have built since we started the company three and a half years ago.

Over the past week, questions have arisen around an employee of ours who won a significant prize on a competitor's site. While our internal investigation has reflected absolutely no wrongdoing on his part, this has still pushed us to reevaluate our processes.

Long before this happened, the wheels were in motion for an external review of our policies and procedures. Given the pace of our growth, we felt that an audit was critical to ensure the security of our platform, so we hired an external law firm experienced with these issues to conduct a full review.

But that is not enough. In addition to this audit, we have put in place a set of core measures that we believe are central to this process:

• We expanded our existing policy prohibiting DraftKings employees from playing on our site to prohibit participation in any public daily fantasy sports contests for money.

• We also will prohibit employees from any other Daily Fantasy Sports contest operator from participating in games on DraftKings.

• We are actively reviewing our organizational structure and will add resources to ensure compliance with all recommendations stemming from internal and external findings.

• We are working with multiple third parties to strengthen all internal policies and procedures.

The events of the past week have caused us to take a broader look and to ask those both here and externally to widen the scope of their analysis of our business.

We are aware that there is room for growth, regardless of the strength of our current platform. We will work tirelessly to improve all aspects of our customer experience, which is every bit as important to us as the effort we put into our product.

You will no doubt continue to hear from the media about both DraftKings and the industry. It is our prerogative to keep driving that conversation ourselves. We will work to respond to your concerns in complete transparency and to inform you of the steps we are taking to inspire your full trust.

Please know how grateful we are for the passion and loyalty you have shown DraftKings throughout our history and especially over the past week. You remain our greatest priority.

Thank you,

Jason Robins, Matt Kalish & Paul Liberman
Co-Founders, DraftKings

tl;dr - other DFS site employees can't play on our site, but we're still not gonna ban our own employees from playing on other DFS sites? :smug:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Varg posted:

haha.. just read this DK email that came in

tl;dr - other DFS site employees can't play on our site, but we're still not gonna ban our own employees from playing on other DFS sites? :smug:

The first bullet poiint says that DK employees can no longer play for money on other sites.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The first bullet poiint says that DK employees can no longer play for money on other sites.

quote:

We expanded our existing policy prohibiting DraftKings employees from playing on our site to prohibit participation in any public daily fantasy sports contests for money.

wow yeah I had to re-read that like 3 times now to see that's what they meant, I thought it said they just still couldn't play on their own site

Dopple Dabbler
Jan 22, 2004
:eng101:
I just want to believe...
In 50 horny little mouths.
Anyone interested in a $10 league on either Draftkings or Fanduel for the weekend? I'm surprised I haven't seen any goon leagues yet.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dopple Dabbler posted:

Anyone interested in a $10 league on either Draftkings or Fanduel for the weekend? I'm surprised I haven't seen any goon leagues yet.

I don't think they make financial sense to play a 10 dollar league if it isn't a double up or 50/50 and that's why no one plays. On an economy of scale you could enter 10 one dollar tournaments or just do a 10 dollar double up....

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I feel good this week. I don't know why, I didn't really do enough research. This is why this game is so addicting. I threw together like 3 different lineups in the last hour and I feel like I can win. Ha, I guess we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't feel like putting any effort this week so I threw together a quick lineup in one of those 25 cent games hoping for a miracle

• Locked thread