Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Entered my first ever dfs game (turned out to be a tournament, I had no idea what I was doing) for $5 and I'm right on the cutoff for $$, with a bunch of guys to go. Mon-Thu, 2-game tournament on FanDuel, let's go LVB, Smith Sr, Gillmore and Steelers D!

Anyway, I have a few newb questions:

1 - what happens if a tournament doesn't fill up (on FD, but I assume the same on DK, etc)? Do all "guaranteed" payouts come down proportionally? Or do the low $ payouts just get cut off, and the top winners still have the same guaranteed amounts? Or do they not change, and smart players keep their eyes open for less popular tournaments that have artificially higher payouts given fewer participants?

2 - is there some golden rule about spending $$, like smart players will never have a single dollar of budget left? I had $200 after picking my team, and I was agonizing over ways to spend it down to zero, but couldn't find anything without shifting my whole team.

3 - when do prices get re-set (for NFL)? Is it constantly rolling and prices are set whenever the new match is created, or is there some set day of the week when they change?

As a side note, I'm starting to see a real downside to the 2-game tournament format. There are hundreds and hundreds of entries that have the exact same score as me, so I guess any winnings'll be split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

thethreeman posted:

Entered my first ever dfs game (turned out to be a tournament, I had no idea what I was doing) for $5 and I'm right on the cutoff for $$, with a bunch of guys to go. Mon-Thu, 2-game tournament on FanDuel, let's go LVB, Smith Sr, Gillmore and Steelers D!

Anyway, I have a few newb questions:

1 - what happens if a tournament doesn't fill up (on FD, but I assume the same on DK, etc)? Do all "guaranteed" payouts come down proportionally? Or do the low $ payouts just get cut off, and the top winners still have the same guaranteed amounts? Or do they not change, and smart players keep their eyes open for less popular tournaments that have artificially higher payouts given fewer participants?

2 - is there some golden rule about spending $$, like smart players will never have a single dollar of budget left? I had $200 after picking my team, and I was agonizing over ways to spend it down to zero, but couldn't find anything without shifting my whole team.

3 - when do prices get re-set (for NFL)? Is it constantly rolling and prices are set whenever the new match is created, or is there some set day of the week when they change?

As a side note, I'm starting to see a real downside to the 2-game tournament format. There are hundreds and hundreds of entries that have the exact same score as me, so I guess any winnings'll be split.

Won $10 off of my $5 entry fee in my first match despite a bagel from gillmore :toot:

In case any other beginners find this, the answer to #1 above is that most tournaments have guaranteed payouts, even if the company loses money on them (the spread is called "overlay"). I assume this is getting more and more rare as they get more popular, but apparently there are "overlay hunters" who are all about exploiting this: http://www.rotowire.com/football/showArticle.htm?id=21219

railroad terror posted:

IIRC, I did a Fanduel 2-game format last year late in the season or in the playoffs. I added Lavon Brazill as one of my WRs. Even if that very limited format, he was only owned by 5-7% of players. He got two TDs. That's the kind of obscure no-namer you have to bet on in those formats to win.

ya, this makes sense. Winner that took $30k in my contest got a big game out of Kamar Aiken...

• Locked thread