Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The SituAsian posted:

I actually am curious about this. The sites have your state info on file and you have to click on that "I am not a resident of (blocked state)" before you enter a contest. Do they ip check you as well to make sure you're not logged on from a blocked state as well?

The DK Android app actually requires GPS and Google Location Services to be turned on before it will show you anything. I guess it's smart on their part, but it kind of underscores how silly the gambling laws are in this country. Here in Minnesota at least, the only thing I've heard is that there is one legislator who has announced their support of a DFS legalization-plus-regulation package. I hope it doesn't get torpedoed by some interest group, but that's just me being slightly paranoid about our ability to screw up vice regulation in dumb ways.

e:

Also, I made money overall on my first DFS bets! I think it was kind of dumb luck though :v:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

If your state right now is looking at a regulation bill of any kind, it is an implied ban.

the only legislator in minnesota who has proposed anything related to dfs has said nothing about this. he only wants to require fantasy sites that do over $X amount of business to require background checks and register with the state so they can comply with potential audits or investigations. the fact that he hasn't specifically said "no interstate ban" doesn't somehow validate your argument, nor would you be correct even if he does at some point say that he does want that kind of restriction, nor if the eventual law does include it

also, i feel like nevada shouldn't really ever be included in disucssions like this (unless it is regarding their outsized influence on federal gambling policy). it's in their interest to ban and cordon off any type of gambling that might hurt their tourism industry, so they are really unlike most other jurisdictions in the country

vvv i apologize to the thread for engaging with this fishmeching nonsense :rolleyes: vvv

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 6, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

Another wasted DFS night with Kobe being classified as out after being "confirmed" to play tonight....

I've never done an NBA contest so I entered tonight's freeroll on DK ...with Kobe. I thought about doing a $1 entry or two but I'm glad I didn't. Apparently the decision came down far enough before game time, so it looks like I need to pay more attention to game-time decisions :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Look, California. I know DFS is gambling. I do it responsibly. It's fun.

Don't take my fun away you fuckers.

can we just add a gambling tax that funds addiction treatment and be done with it? plz? :911:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Full disclosure: I am a 36-year-old dude who bores easily, drinks I.P.A.s and wears sports-themed T-shirts, especially ones with faded, nostalgic logos that suggest better times. In my early 20s, I developed a gambling problem that I’ve since learned to spread out over a variety of low-stakes games — Scrabble, pitch-and-putt golf, my stock profile on ETrade. I watch somewhere between six and 20 hours of basketball per week. I try to keep up with the usual cultural things — documentaries about conflict in South Sudan, Netflix binge shows, memes — but whenever I find myself awake in the early morning and there is no email to answer and no news to track, I watch SportsCenter, or I scan the previous night’s N.B.A. box scores to check up on Porzingis, or I read some dissertation on Johnny Cueto’s unusual ability to hold runners on first base. It’s not the most glamorous way to spend my time, but what can I do? My mind, at its most aimless, obsessively seeks out sports information. I am, in other words, the target demographic for the daily fantasy sports industry.

Since the start of this N.F.L. season, I have lost roughly $1,900 on DraftKings and FanDuel,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

this isn't something that the writer should get credit for, but i did take away from that article the useful bit of info that there are some important differences between DFS and, say, online poker. the difference being that the DFS player can much more effectively and insidiously hunt for fish and evade detection. this is due to the fact that DFS is generally an asynchronous game, versus a synchronous poker game. the DFS player can sit back and let their scripts do the work, while the poker player must actually sit at the ready, even if they are multi-tabling, and their ability to play is limited by the human brain's ability to multi-task and process information. the asynchronous aspect also might encourage shadier sharks to adopt strategies such as having multiple accounts, so that they can avoid being highlighted as such. the sound and fury of these mainstream media thinkpieces is of course not equal to the weight of anyone who is really conversant in the game, but such subtle issues are important to account for and understand.

p.s. Surgical i am super lazy at coding, im sorry

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Any goons back doing DFS for the new NFL season? I moved my money off of DK and onto PredictIt, not sure if I want to move it back and try again to learn crap-tons of math about sports.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I really suck at GPPs but I'm okay at cash. I just like playing and being just good enough to profit yearly. Last year I was 20$ in and $24.50 out or so. I also don't have the chas-flow to warrant a ton of entries into GPPs

Same thing here, put in $20 and ended up with like $20-22. It would be fun to mess around with multi-entry GPP strategy, but unless I get a different job or they start offering nickel tourneys, I don't think it's going to happen for me :lol:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Broad question: where can I start reading to learn the basics of football statistics and analytics? Alternatively, where can I start reading about the same for basketball or hockey (NBA/NHL), in preparation for those upcoming seasons? I feel like I need to understand the basic numbers more than I do, as a nerd who peaced out about sports after age 15 or so.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

seems weird that the site guy would make that post

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I finally decided not to deposit any money for DFS right now. On the other hand, my completely ignorant teams have passed two rounds of DK's weekly NFL knockout freeroll. Like I just stack up a QB and a couple guys who are likely to win, then generate the rest of the team with a free optimizer, my picks are that level of badness. It's me, I'm the lucky donk.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I haven't been looking at contest structures, but it doesn't surprise me! I'd be really curious to know how many whiners actually notice it and change their opinion about DFS, though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not positive, but I think I remember the rake on DK being 10-15% during NFL season last year. It's kind of silly that they moved the bubble on big contests all the way down to 60% though. At that point you might as well be playing a 2x or 3x multiplier game.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Got another sweat. I'm in about 20/100K in a $3 tournament, with David Johnson still going. 24 more points to first. No one's threatening my rear from within 50 points or so, although MNF is in the slate so there may be some stacks that will compete. :sweatdrop: Let's go DJ!

Let us know if you make a huge cash! :f5:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Do you get a free trip or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i got an email that draftkings and fanduel are merging!! i dislike market consolidation but the silver lining could be that it pushes DFS back towards a growing thing that will attract more fish

• Locked thread