Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I put together a lineup that included Moncrief, Julio Jones and Antonio Brown

Unfortunately it also included Ameer Abdullah, The Titans and Sam Bradford

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Only [days since DFS sites were founded] days too late!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

SO I think the issue here is you don't understand the reason this is a problem. Ownership data between fantasy sites and even waiver data are useless statistics (they're basically driven by the content on the front page of the fantasy portion of the site). If it made an appreciable difference, you would have to apply your inside data once a week every week for sixteen weeks to help you take down the vaunted pro league title and like a thousand bucks or whatever.

In theory he did this once and made hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The tippy top put in dozens of lineups and by knowing ownership data, they can optimize the lineups to differentiate themselves enough from the rest of the tournament to give them enough of an edge to take down big money. It's not analogous to pro leagues or a bank at all. It's more like insider trading.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Right, so the analogy would be (for example) looking up who the top waiver claims are on the site you work at, and then claiming those guys on the site you play on.

This is literally a useless exercise. It's more like having access to your league's FAAB bids and being able to bid $1 more on the players you want.

And also forcing other players to trade with you.

And also forcing other players to leave your preferred draft picks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I find it funny you're putting up a passionate defense of the system within a week of them showing exactly why they shouldn't be allowed to play DFS given their access to privileged information.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

old dog child posted:

What the gently caress. My dad won 1000 bucks last week and he doesn't even follow football. He randomly picked a team. Please kill me.

It's just that easy!

Also how in the world do you simulate the games?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Wait NBA GPPs should be around 300 points? I've had two lineups a night every night in 50/50s as I've learned basketball DFS and every one except one has gotten more than 300.

Dammit.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The SituAsian posted:

First take your #humblebrags elsewhere but yes at least for last year (running a gpp and multiple cash game nightly fron Christmas to the finals) as well as what ive gathered for what passes as trustworthy on reddit dfs and rotogrinders that tends to be accurate.

I say dammit because I feel like I left money on the table because there's no way I'm sustaining it :laffo:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I played a handful of NBA H2Hs last night and all my opponents had Steph Curry :stonk:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Look, California. I know DFS is gambling. I do it responsibly. It's fun.

Don't take my fun away you fuckers.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...0b68f8ee413f2b9

quote:

A New York judge granted injunctions sought by the state's attorney general to bar DraftKings and FanDuel from doing business in the state.

Manuel Mendez, a justice for the Supreme Court of the State of New York, wrote in seperate rulings released Friday that New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman was within his authority to seek an injunction against the daily fantasy sites and granted the injunction.

Mendez also denied motions temporary preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order sought to prevent Schneiderman from taking enforcement action against the sites.

Damien LaVera, a spokesperson for the Attorney General, told USA TODAY Sports the office would have a response to the rulings soon. DraftKings and FanDuel could not immediately be reached for comment.

The New York Attorney General ignited these fireworks when it sent a cease-and-desist order to these companies last month, declaring them to be illegal gambling operations. DraftKings and FanDuel responded by suing Schneiderman in an effort to stay in business in New York, arguing they offered legal games of skill and not games of chance like traditional gambling.

Schneiderman disagreed and sued to have the companies shut down in his state. An emergency hearing then was granted before Justice Mendez in New York City on Nov. 25.

COURT RULING: DraftKings injunction

COURT RULING: FanDuel injunction

Both companies have faced a thunderstorm of legal controversy since October -- a flurry of civil lawsuits from consumers, a grand jury in Florida, possible regulation in several states and even a Justice Department inquiry.

After years of operating without regulation, the sudden drama threatened their very existence in the U.S., making things awkward for the sports leagues and teams that have sponsorships or investments in them, including the NBA, which owns a stake in FanDuel.

FanDuel was founded in 2009, and Draft Kings started offering daily fantasy sports in 2012. Together, both startup companies dominated the daily fantasy sports market, but they didn’t seem to get on the radar of prosecutors and lawmakers until this year, when they started to heavily advertise on television near the start of the NFL season.

The ads bragged about how easy it was for regular fans to win big cash jackpots every week – a marketing strategy they hoped would help them grow toward profitability by gaining new customers.

The strategy seemed to be working. But then came another controversy to fan the flames. A DraftKings employee won $350,000 on a FanDuel contest, raising suspicions about possible insider trading. Though the companies denied wrongdoing, the case attracted more unwelcome legal attention, including from Schneiderman.

Daily fantasy sports differs from traditional fantasy sports, which is played over the course of a season instead of a day or week. Schneiderman’s office distinguished between the two and did not seek to crack down on traditional fantasy sports, which have been around for decades.

“Unlike traditional fantasy sports, (daily fantasy sports) is designed for instant gratification, stressing easy game play and no long-term strategy,” Schneiderman’s office said in its cease-and-desist letter in November.

In exchange for an entry fee, daily fantasy sports companies offer fans a chance to win cash prizes based on the statistical performance of players in real-life events that day or week. The immediacy of the transaction more closely resembles traditional sports gambling, which is largely illegal outside of Nevada.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/sports/draftkings-fanduel-vantiv-daily-fantasy.html?_r=0

Looks like the drop dead is 2/29. There's gonna be a run on the banks and DK/FD are gonna crash and burn.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I'm $16 in, $88 out through two weeks. $50 win on the fantasypros correspondent free roll this week (also the only lineup I did this week) makes it look like more than it is.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Pulled a profit with a handful of entries, none with Ajayi. That I will definitely take, especially since I thought I was dead in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I won $5 yesterday on $4 of entries so :smug:

• Locked thread