Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I only see Jay-Z and Prince together in news stories talking about the possibility that Tidal could be sold. This is in reference to how it might require the new owner of Tidal to re-do a deal with Prince's estate in order to keep his music on the service.

Also, selling bootlegs? :cmon:

I just got divorced and fired. My wife cleaned me out. They're never gonna be worth more than they are right now, right? Except for maybe a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Talking boots with BiggerBoat made me remember this Prince moment.

quote:

It must be said at this point, Prince was unhappy with the sound quality throughout the evening. All three shows were marred by technical problems, feedback and poor sound systems. By the time this show was in motion he had enough. During the early part of this set he asked for adjustments to the sound several times. Before the next song, he launched into an epic rant from the stage, directed at AEG who he had been working with for a number of years on his tours, including the massively successful Musicology Tour of 2004. AEG oversees the entire L.A. Live complex and Prince started naming names, specifically calling out AEG Live President and CEO Randy Phillips and AEG's President and CEO Tim Leiweke from the stage in a 90 second public lambasting.

"Before we play this, Randy Phillips, Tim Leiweke, they run AEG. And, uh, this is their building so the buzzes you hear you can talk to them about it. I'm gonna play through it, I'm gonna do my best. Now feel me, they spent a lot of money on the seats, and the lights are beautiful. But I done told them several times, let's work on that sound. I came to see Alicia Keys here and it was the worst sound I ever heard. But Alicia is a genius, bar none. She is music and she deserves the best, alright? So we're all in this together. So if we fix the sound, I'll be here every night. This is what I do. And I'll do it for free, I won't charge 'em. But now I got to go back to my three million a night!"

Prince then kicks into "She Spoke 2 Me" by shouting sarcastically "It's alright Tim and Randy, we love ya!", then during the performance gets the crowd to chant 'AEG, AEG' over and over. I cannot emphasize enough what a monumental night this then became. AEG made Prince a ton of money helping him make his 3121 shows in Las Vegas and his 21 Nights in London a reality. He planned to do a similar 21 night stand in L.A., but in one onstage rant, he called out the highest executives of the company by name, publicly embarrassed them and burned yet another bridge in the entertainment industry. His relationship with AEG, again a company that made Prince millions of dollars, was over and he blew it up right in front of about 2,500 fans. The fact we now get to see it on video is priceless. Prince closes the performance of "She Spoke 2 Me" by introducing the band then getting one last shot in at AEG by declaring, "And my name is Randy Phillips. Thank you, goodnight."

http://mikea7.typepad.com/now_its_on/2012/02/bootleg-review-prince-la-confidential-.html

Randy and Tim (I think?) talked about how they presented him with a $40 million dollar check at the final show of the Musicology tour and how he was so happy, he jumped on the keyboard and played a Stevie Wonder song for them. Can't find the link to their interview but it's hilarious how Prince destroyed his relationship with them in a single night over sound issues.

- edit It wasn't Randy and Tim but it's still a good story.

quote:

What was it like putting a major tour deal together with Prince?

When we worked with him, there was no manager, no lawyer, no agent, no business manager. It was just him and the two of us. And when we started this [Musicology] thing, Paul and I had a sit-down with [billionaire AEG owner] Phil [Anschutz] one day, we had to tell Phil that Prince won't sign anything, there's no contract. And Phil asks, "if he doesn't show up, how much are we going to be out?" And I think we would probably have been out $2-3 million in production expenses, a couple million in advertising, so if he doesn't show up we're going to lose $5 million. So Phil looks at us and asks, "do you think he's going to do it?" And Paul and I said, "yeah, we think he really wants to do this." And that tour was flawless. We produced and promoted it, there were no other people involved in that tour. We hired everybody.

When you say flawless, does that mean financially?

Flawless. The tour grossed $88 million, and his net, after we paid for everything, was $44 million. When he got paid at the end of that tour, we handed him a check for what he made from those shows, and all he had to pay out of that was his taxes. It was the night before the last show, and he was so excited when we handed him that piece of paper, when he saw the number he jumped up and down. Then he sat down at a little electric piano in his dressing room and did a 20-minute Stevie Wonder rendition for Paul and I. He was so happy.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7356901/prince-super-bowl-halftime-musicology-tour-guru-john-meglen-interview

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 13, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cool post.

Funny about the sound problems because the Musicology shows I saw (Jacksonville and Philly) were, IMO, the best his band had ever sounded - and I saw two One Night Alone shows, which were a close second in terms of sound quality. The acoustics and the levels for Musicology were loving perfect, the band was tight as poo poo and the whole entire sound both times I saw that tour were just great. There was an organic quality to it that you didn't always get with Prince and the Revolution or stuff like the Nude tour.

Even the Lovesexy show I saw, with Sheila on drums, had a certain pre-packaged synthetic feel to it that always bugged me.

I think a lot of it had to do with John Blackwell on drums. He's the common element for the ONA shows and the Musicology tour and, with him, you never got that plastic sounding drum machine thing. Michael Bland could bring that organic bottom end too. There's an "official" show making the rounds of Musicology in L.A. I think it was a simulcast but they do "DMSR" and it just sounds LIVE. Prince didn't always deliver that, unfortunately, and I'd never heard the song performed so well.

I always thought Prince was his best when he let his band play and sometimes his perfectionism got in the way of that .

Sorry for ranting, but lastly, I remember playing "Dance On" for one of my Dead Head friends in college and, while he WAS genuinely impressed, asked, "can he do that LIVE?" I honestly wasn't sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^^Who's going to be doing vocals/frontman?^^^^

They haven't announced that for certain yet, but Dez Dickerson and Andre Cymone are both going to be there. I'd assume Dez will be doing his guitar parts and Andre doing vocals, unless they have someone else unannounced.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Talking boots with BiggerBoat made me remember this Prince moment.

http://mikea7.typepad.com/now_its_on/2012/02/bootleg-review-prince-la-confidential-.html

Randy and Tim (I think?) talked about how they presented him with a $40 million dollar check at the final show of the Musicology tour and how he was so happy, he jumped on the keyboard and played a Stevie Wonder song for them. Can't find the link to their interview but it's hilarious how Prince destroyed his relationship with them in a single night over sound issues.

I mean it's not like AEG wasn't making money from Prince. I think it's even more silly/petty that the execs at AEG apparently have such thin skin that some 90 second rant caused the relationship to end.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

alansmithee posted:

I mean it's not like AEG wasn't making money from Prince. I think it's even more silly/petty that the execs at AEG apparently have such thin skin that some 90 second rant caused the relationship to end.

To be fair knowing Prince I imagine that rant continued when he got off stage and probably ended with him telling them he didn't want to work with them again. He wasn't exactly the most level headed of people.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Jesus, how did he let this one sit in the vault?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I1YCYsqSgQ

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Just for kicks, here's a poster I designed a while back:

edit: can anyone see it? My browser is blocking it

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

Just for kicks, here's a poster I designed a while back:

edit: can anyone see it? My browser is blocking it

I'm much more interested as to why Prince is riding a bike through the middle of what looks like a LA Lakers award ceremonies.

- edit Oh, it's him riding around after a concert.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 16, 2016

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If you aren't on First Avenue's list for some reason, they added a 3rd night for the Revolution

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm much more interested as to why Prince is riding a bike through the middle of what looks like a LA Lakers award ceremonies.

yeah my first thought was "lakers? vikings? the big dumb garish colors really look like a sports thing"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Hi Everybody...Can U Believe it's taken this long? But some things have come together so I wanted to jump on and give y'all the update regarding brother's Memorial... Whew and Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

Aug 12th – A Private Family Memorial for Prince will be held

Aug 13th – A Friends Memorial (by emailed invitation only) will be held

...Date still TBD – A Family/Friend/Fans Tribute for Prince - Details coming soon...

You along with all of us have been waiting patiently for the day when we could All extend our heartfelt feelings of disbelief and loss...A day when we can grieve, share stories and dance together for a man who touched our lives, in so many different ways...I regret not being able to give u this opportunity sooner, How-is-an evr' that day is almost here...So hold on...U R Much Appreciated and I promise we haven't forgot about cha...Stay Blessed, Much Love & Peace always ~Tyka

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Official tribute show is set.

quote:

In a statement to The Associated Press on Thursday, Prince's family said the concert will be held on Oct. 13 at the U.S. Bank Stadium. Performers will soon be announced on a rolling basis. Tickets will go on sale next month.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/08568057d51c46f8a3daf99e36db5e38/apnewsbreak-official-prince-tribute-concert-set-october

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 29, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Guess this explains what happened.

quote:

Pills marked as hydrocodone that were seized from Paisley Park after Prince’s overdose death actually contained fentanyl, the powerful opioid that killed him, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

The musician, who weighed only 112 pounds at the time of his death April 21, had so much of the drug in his system, autopsy results later showed, that it would have killed anyone, regardless of size, the source said.

Prince did not possess a prescription for fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that has been described as 100 times more powerful than morphine, the source said.

Despite the finding, investigators still aren’t certain how the 57-year-old megastar ingested the fentanyl. However, they are leaning toward the theory that he took the pills not knowing they contained the drug.

An autopsy report released in June by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said Prince died from an accidental, self-administered overdose of fentanyl. But it did not indicate how he obtained the painkiller, nor did it list any other cause of death or “significant condition.”

(...)

A recent flood of “wholesale amounts” of counterfeit pills that contain fentanyl prompted the DEA last month to issue a report warning of a rise in “overdoses, deaths and opiate-dependent individuals.” The DEA said it tested eight times as much fentanyl last year as it did during the 2006 crisis.

“This is becoming a trend,” according to the DEA’s report, “not a series of isolated incidents.”

(...)

Prince was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park compound in Chanhassen the morning of April 21, a day before he was to meet with a California doctor who specializes in opioid addiction. Two members of his inner circle found his body about 9:40 a.m.

Prince was wearing a black shirt and pants — both were on backward — and his socks were inside-out, according to a source familiar with the case. A responding paramedic said Prince appeared to have been dead for at least six hours before his body was found.

Sources with knowledge of the investigation have said that autopsy results also revealed the presence of lidocaine, alprazolam and Percocet.

http://m.startribune.com/pills-seized-from-paisley-park-contained-illicit-fentanyl-same-drug-that-killed-prince/390816101/

quote:

The official, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, said many pills were falsely labeled as "Watson 385." According to Drugs.com, that stamp is used to identify pills containing a mix of acetaminophen and hydrocodone.

About a dozen tablets were found in a dressing room at Paisley Park, but the vast majority was in bottles of Vitamin C and aspirin that had been tucked inside a suitcase and bags - including one Prince often carried with him.

(...)

One pill with the "Watson 385" stamp that was analyzed by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension tested positive for fentanyl, lidocaine and another drug. Officials found nearly two dozen pills similar to the one that was tested, the official said.

Another aspirin bottle had 64 counterfeit tablets in it. Some pills that were analyzed contained fentanyl, lidocaine and U-4770 - a synthetic drug that is eight times more powerful than morphine.

Authorities also found a prescription bottle in someone else's name that contained 10 oxycodone pills, the official said, without revealing who was listed on the prescription.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PRINCE_DEATH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

On a less depressing note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXnVhQ0chvY&t=160s
(it's audio only)
http://princevault.com/index.php?title=05_October_1988

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 21, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That article explains a few things but still raises other questions.

The fact that they found him an elevator that Paisley Park staff said he never used and the disheveled nature of his clothes makes it sound like he simply popped a routine hydro and then wandered off half out of his mind to the elevator after loving up trying to dress himself. Prince was a notorious fashion hound and clothes freak so the idea that he had poo poo on backwards and inside out seems to me can be attributed to being out of it on the fent.

On the other hand, where'd the loving pills come from? How can someone like Prince not be able to get a legit scrip for hydro? I get 60 10/mg pills a month.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i'm gonna be so mad if somebody was lying to him about where the pills came from or what was in them

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

That article explains a few things but still raises other questions.

The fact that they found him an elevator that Paisley Park staff said he never used and the disheveled nature of his clothes makes it sound like he simply popped a routine hydro and then wandered off half out of his mind to the elevator after loving up trying to dress himself. Prince was a notorious fashion hound and clothes freak so the idea that he had poo poo on backwards and inside out seems to me can be attributed to being out of it on the fent.

That's what I was thinking. By the time he realized something was wrong, he was so wacked out he couldn't think straight.

BiggerBoat posted:

On the other hand, where'd the loving pills come from? How can someone like Prince not be able to get a legit scrip for hydro? I get 60 10/mg pills a month.

I'd guess Kirk Johnson. The way he popped back up in Prince's life and immediately went into hiding after Prince was found dead struck me as very odd.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's what I was thinking. By the time he realized something was wrong, he was so wacked out he couldn't think straight.

I'd guess Kirk Johnson. The way he popped back up in Prince's life and immediately went into hiding after Prince was found dead struck me as very odd.

That's my guess too. Gonna cross post this from another forum I post on:

The Walgreen's visit is weird and smacks of someone trying to refill early. If you attempt to refill pain meds before the "no refills by" date on the bottle, no pharmacy will touch it. Especially loving Walgreen's. In my experience, they're the hardest of hard asses when it comes to filling these meds. I thought it was clear but it's likely that Prince had recurring scrips for hydro but ran out before his refill date. Hence the weird trip to Walgreen's the day before he died.

I think it went like this:

- Prince had been taking pain meds for years, either prescribed under his name or someone close to him.
- He'd devloped a tolerance and was taking too many/exceeding his dose
- He gave WG a shot at least to see if they'd fill his regular scrip and they said no
- He was out of meds and asked one of his inner circle to hook him up
- That person got what he needed off the street. Fent laced counterfeit drugs
- Prince took them like he normally would (two pills maybe) and got knocked on his rear end later that night
- Prince got incredibly looped out off the fent, got dizzy, couldn't record or whatever and half assedly tried to change his clothes or something (probably a force of habit or muscle memory if anything since he changed clothes like 4x a day anyhow), absent mindedly slipping the bottle of pills in his pocket or whatever. I doubt at that point (probably around midnight) he even knew what the gently caress he was doing but he knew something was wrong. He may have showered in a daze and put his clothes back on in a stupor.
- He wandered aimlessly to the elevator (that he never used BTW), blitzed out of his loving mind, probably seeking help or just plain wandering off in a drug haze and, once the fent overtook his breathing, collapsed in there and died
- Whoever this person that hooked him up with whatever killed him is rightfully freaking out and that person is likely one of the people who left town, lawyered up and has been very quiet since Prince's death. So, yeah, Kirk Johnson.

I don't think Prince was a fentanyl user but probably a Vicodon popper for a long while who built up a tolerance. I also can't shake this idea that he was sick and suffering from something else. He didn't look right for the last year and half or so.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Anybody know more of the story behind this Patrick Cousins guy: Prince’s Shady Lawyer Is Back. The part that stands out to me is how it looks like he's using his knowledge of loose ends in Prince's various estate entities to steal a church building and property:

quote:

In June, as lawyers continued to sort out Prince’s will-free estate in a probate case dubbed “unique and extraordinary” by one judge, Cousins signed away ownership of a historic Minneapolis church owned by Prince’s charity, Love 4 One Another, Hennepin County records show.

An Aug. 4 affidavit by an official of the company charged with disentangling Prince’s estate suggests they are not aware of such dealings in Prince’s name.
That affidavit still lists St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church among Prince’s current properties, even though Hennepin County records reveals it is now owned by Reboot Charity Inc., a Florida non-profit that deals in electronics recycling.

The transfer records show the consideration was for less than $500, and Cousins listed himself as “chief manager” of Prince’s charity, also known as L4OA.
He is not listed among the officers on L4OA’s filings in Minnesota or Delaware, except for a 2013 “Certificate of Revival” he signed in Delaware for the LLC.
Cousins is also not listed among the attorneys and law firms who sought payment for their work sorting out the estate during a Minnesota court hearing last month.

Kirk Johnson, a one-time drummer in Prince’s band who was listed as an officer for the charity in annual tax filings, said he had “no idea” about the history of Prince and St. John’s, valued at about $300,000 and sitting on a rough north side stretch, blocks from where Prince grew up.

“I don’t have those answers,” Johnson said when asked about Cousins.

Jeremy Smith, the head of Reboot Charity Inc., the Florida electronics recycling charity that now owns St. John’s, declined to elaborate.

“I signed a non-disclosure agreement, so I can’t talk about it,” Smith said. “It’s really none of your business.”

L4OA paid $495,000 for the church, an historic landmark, in April 2008, according to city records.

That offer was double what church officials had hoped to receive, a church trustee recalled.

It allowed the congregation to move into more spacious accommodations and leave the church’s extensive repair needs behind, he said.

The generous purchase was but one of a multitude of good deeds performed by Prince’s charity.

Annual tax filings show L4OA gave away more than $1.1 million in 2007 alone, for causes that included an autism center in St. Louis, a youth shelter in Iowa, a Cleveland community center, a Chicago cancer foundation and a fund for those affected by that summer’s highway bridge collapse in Minneapolis.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

lol someone on prince.org linked to a post on Reddit where a poster made a joke about Bluelight posters always saying SWIM (someone who isn't me) when they talk about doing drugs, and included the phrase "the artist formerly known as prince" and now they think that guy was in on it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

lol someone on prince.org linked to a post on Reddit where a poster made a joke about Bluelight posters always saying SWIM (someone who isn't me) when they talk about doing drugs, and included the phrase "the artist formerly known as prince" and now they think that guy was in on it

They're losing their motherfucking minds on that site. More so than usual. They're convinced he was murdered. Or at least a lot of them are. It's insane.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

They're losing their motherfucking minds on that site. More so than usual. They're convinced he was murdered. Or at least a lot of them are. It's insane.

This happens every time a major performer dies young, it's really tiresome. I'd be curious to see if there's an overlap between those who think Cobain and Elliott Smith were murdered and those who think the same regarding Prince.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This happens every time a major performer dies young, it's really tiresome. I'd be curious to see if there's an overlap between those who think Cobain and Elliott Smith were murdered and those who think the same regarding Prince.

But Prince wasn't all that young compared to Cobain. Or Elvis, or James Dean. Joplin, Morrison, Hendrix. Even MJ died younger (50). To me, the circumstances surrounding Prince's death seem relatively simple and easy to figure out. I was shocked when too when I heard he died but the more i learn about it the more it makes sense.

People are saying Warner Bros had him killed to spike album sales. It's 9/11 Insisde job fake moon landing poo poo.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I have an acquaintance who has been blaming his death on Warner since day one. Facebook posts about how Prince upset powerful people (apparently by criticizing his label decades ago?)

Sometimes an OD is just an OD.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He was murdered the same way Michael was murdered. It wasn't a deliberate act, but someone close to him took advantage of his physical weakness and eventually hosed up and it killed him.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Kirk Johnson = Mr Goatse?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

glad I'm not the only person who chuckled a little at that

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Paisley Park is opening up to guests.

quote:

Paisley Park, Prince's recording studio, will now be a museum and it will be opening a lot faster than anyone anticipated with tickets going on sale this Friday, August 26th.

The Core Media Group, which runs Graceland, will now be running Paisley Park. The Core Media Group owns 85% percent of the rights to the name, image and likeness of Elvis Presley, and the operations of Graceland. Right now, they will be just running Paisley Park for the next four years at least.

The Core Media Group could pay cash immediately to the estate which is in desperate need of funds, which we reported earlier this month. Not including July or August, legal fees already totaled $2 million dollars. Also, the family will start getting money which is one of the main concerns.

Tyka Nelson, Prince's sister had this to say about Paisley Park being turned into a Museum;

"Opening Paisley Park is something that Prince always wanted to do and was actively working on," "Only a few hundred people have had the rare opportunity to tour the estate during his lifetime. Now, fans from around the world will be able to experience Prince's world for the first time as we open the doors to this incredible place."

Although true Prince was wanting to turn Paisley Park into a museum, there were certain things that he wanted in place and had designers working on, including new artwork for the studio, equipment being set up, and interactive items. None of this will be in place on October 6th when doors to Paisley open to the public. No recording engineer playing unreleased tracks or live recordings that were being mastered for release or for the vault. Nothing like that.

I know that in the past week, 2 people that were working for Prince/Paisley Park have been hired by Bremer Trust/Londell McMillan but it was not the people who was giving the tour in the past few years when Paisley would be open to the public for concerts and dance parties.

I spoke to someone who used to give the tours of Paisley Park about the changes being made. "It's like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory without Willy Wonka now. Paisley Park will now have a whole new meaning. Everything used to be in the now. Now everything will be past tense."

If this helps the fans heal, I'm for it. I would have liked it to be the way that he wanted it.

OfficialPaisleyPark.com is the place to get tickets and sign up for emails.

Tickets will be $38.50 and the tour will last for 70 minutes and guests can stay for an allotted time of 2 hours. There is also a VIP Tour Experience for $100 or more.

The hours will be scheduled from 10 A.M. til 10 P.M. during the week and will be from 10 A.M. until Midnight. Hours will change upon demand.

The tours will be done in 10 minute increments and will have 35-40 people per tour.

Core Media plans on hiring 20 to 60 people from the local area.

Paisley Park right now has 90 parking spaces. The ONLY construction to Paisley over the next FOUR years will be adding an additional 40-50 parking spaces to the East side of Paisley Park, which will include a cul de sac like entrance and exit for Paisley, making it easier for vehicles to enter and exit the museum. There will be also widening of the door ways which will be done before the museum opens October 6th. They will have parking attendants and plan on double parking vehicles. They will be also having a shuttle from the Minneapolis Airport which will take you directly to the museum.

Guests will also see his video editing suites, rehearsal rooms, private NPG Music Club, a massive soundstage and concert hall, where he rehearsed for tours and held private events, plus thousands of artifacts from Prince's personal archives -- yes, that includes his concert wardrobe, awards, instruments and motorcycles. Right now, what was in place before is still in place. Nothing new. If that changes, I will let you know.

They will also have 24 hour security.

One thing; they WILL be keeping with Prince's policy of only vegetarian items to be served and NO alcoholic beverages at all. I like that.

Merchandise: They will be having tour programs, apparel, and guidebooks.

They are expecting the studios to perhaps be ready to be rented out starting March 2017. Paisley Park is still a state of the art studio and can be rented as such for recordings or live performances. It will be whomever books the studio or the live performances. Anyone.

After four years, they will see if the state will approve for lodging (hotels) to be put on the property so people can stay at the museum. There is a chance as well for apartments to be built around the museum property.

http://www.drfunkenberry.com/2016/08/24/princes-paisley-park-to-open-its-doors-for-tours-starting-october-6th-tickets-to-go-on-sale-friday/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 25, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

I also can't shake this idea that he was sick and suffering from something else. He didn't look right for the last year and half or so.

The HIV rumor is plausible - he mentioned in recent interviews that he was "celibate" - so if he was really off his HIV meds, it would make sense that he would stop having sex so he wouldn't risk transmission

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I went on a tour during the last three nights of house parties he did before he died, and it was awesome. I bet these will be pretty loving rad too, although I'm guessing the chance of going into the studio where one of the girls from Third Eye Girl will just be loving around with some guitars will be substantially less for them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I always wanted to visit Paisley Park. I like the idea of making it a museum. Wonder what they'll use the stages for though? poo poo. I just realized I posted the wrong image for my poster designs. I wondered what the bicycle comment meant. I couldn't see the image for some reason.

Will repost when I get a moment.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just got back from The Revolution show (third and final) at First Ave. Holy poo poo, what a loving experience. Andre Symone and Dez Dickerson were both guests, along with Kimbra singing a few tracks, a special appearance by two out of three of the girls from Appolonia 6 (Susan wasn't there), and fuckin' Maya Rudolph and the other girl from Princess. They tore the god drat house down. Easily the best, most energetic, most emotional concert I've ever been to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I just got back from The Revolution show (third and final) at First Ave. Holy poo poo, what a loving experience. Andre Symone and Dez Dickerson were both guests, along with Kimbra singing a few tracks, a special appearance by two out of three of the girls from Appolonia 6 (Susan wasn't there), and fuckin' Maya Rudolph and the other girl from Princess. They tore the god drat house down. Easily the best, most energetic, most emotional concert I've ever been to.

Who sang lead? What was the set list?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Vince MechMahon posted:

with Kimbra singing a few tracks

Are you serious!? Now I'm even more pissed that I missed out. Glad to hear it was awesome though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

Who sang lead? What was the set list?

Reviews I read of the first show said Wendy was lead until Andre and Dez came out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Set list:

Let’s Go Crazy
Computer Blue
America
Mountains
Do It All Night
Let’s Work
Uptown
Party Up
Little Red Corvette
Sometimes it Snows in April
Raspberry Beret
Private Joy (featuring Kimbra)
Delirious (featuring Kimbra and Susannah Melvoin)
When U Were Mine
Controversy
Encore (all featuring Kimbra, Susannah Melvoin, Maya Rudolph, and Gretchen Lieberum)
Kiss
Baby I’m a Star
Purple Rain

Wendy did lead for most of the stuff, Dez and Andre came out starting with America and stayed up until 1999, then came back after Delirious. After Controversy is when Appolonia and Brenda came out and did a little spoken tribute to Prince and Appolonia threw a bunch of gold earrings into the crowd.

Here's a shot I took during Kiss with everyone out on stage:

There were also notices on all the entrances saying the show was being recorded, so maybe there will be some kind of official release at some point. At the very least I hope the board recordings leak.

Side note: During the first chorus of 1999, Wendy started singing the second verse early. Which was weirdly perfect and hilarious.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Set list:

Let’s Go Crazy
Computer Blue
America
Mountains
Do It All Night
Let’s Work
Uptown
Party Up

Little Red Corvette
Sometimes it Snows in April
Raspberry Beret
Private Joy (featuring Kimbra)
Delirious (featuring Kimbra and Susannah Melvoin)
When U Were Mine
Controversy
Encore (all featuring Kimbra, Susannah Melvoin, Maya Rudolph, and Gretchen Lieberum)
Kiss
Baby I’m a Star
Purple Rain

That's more diverse than I would have expected. Sounds like a good time. Who was playing lead on guitar? I guess Wendy, right? Been nice if they could have gotten Jesse Johnson in there but it doesn't look like a heavily driven guitar set beyond "America", "When You Were Mine" and "LRC". Probably for the better since no one could match Prince on the axe anyway.

I bet "Mountains" was a highlight since that's a Wendy and Lisa tune to start with.

I'm sure it was fun but just thinking about it makes me miss Prince even more. His absence must have been palpable, like y'all were waiting for him to show up. Who did the Purple Rain solo?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wendy did most of the heavy lifting on guitar, including the Purple Rain solo. Clearly she's not Prince, but she did him proud.

And there was a Prince shaped hole early on, but to be honest once Symone and Dez came on it was less. Same with when Kimbra was on. Never filled, just less.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wendy did most of the heavy lifting on guitar, including the Purple Rain solo. Clearly she's not Prince, but she did him proud.

And there was a Prince shaped hole early on, but to be honest once Symone and Dez came on it was less. Same with when Kimbra was on. Never filled, just less.

I just can't help thinking his absence must have been...well...hate to reuse the word again but palpable. Every time he took the stage, no matter what he was doing, all eyes were on him even if he was only playing the loving tambourine or noodling around on the keyboards. I saw Prince at a few aftershows up close and even when it was obvious he was just loving around, his magnetism was inescapable.

I imagine this show was bittersweet. I probably would have cried on "Sometimes it Snows in April".

2016 has just absolutely sucked the gently caress out loud. Bowie, Prince, Ali, Gene Wilder, Gary Marshall, Pat Summit, Morley Safer, Merle Haggard, Gary Shandling, Vanity, Maurice White, Abe Vigoda, Glen Frey...

I'm getting a little sick of it and honestly starting to worry about Sly, Stevie, George Clinton, Jagger, Plant, Page and Bootsie to be honest. Not even kidding. Why are all the awesome people leaving us this year? Gets me worrying about who's next. Probably not a healthy way to think but here I am anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I just can't help thinking his absence must have been...well...hate to reuse the word again but palpable. Every time he took the stage, no matter what he was doing, all eyes were on him even if he was only playing the loving tambourine or noodling around on the keyboards. I saw Prince at a few aftershows up close and even when it was obvious he was just loving around, his magnetism was inescapable.

I imagine this show was bittersweet. I probably would have cried on "Sometimes it Snows in April".

From what I've read the first of the three nights was far and away the worst as far as Prince's absence goes. Everything I've read about it was that it was basically a night of grieving for both the crowd and the band, with even them barely holding it together and it effecting the performance.

Saturday though really did seem like it was more about celebrating him than mourning him, with the obvious exception of Sometimes it Snows in April, which was just Wendy with an acoustic guitar backed by Lisa. There wasn't a dry eye in the house for that one, or Purple Rain.

There was a lot of crowd interaction for the rest of it though, like Wendy cutting the whole band and having us alone sing the final chorus of Raspberry Beret, and saying that we had to sing so loud that he could hear us from the afterlife. Symone and Kimbra both helped fill the stage too with their showmanship and energy.

So while there were moments while him being gone was sad, and him not being there was always felt, it honestly felt more like a party in his honor for most of the night. It's given me closure on the whole thing in a way I still don't feel about Lemmy or Bowie, who were two other heroes of mine we lost really recently as well. I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever go to any concert that's as moving and incredible as this one was.

• Locked thread