Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I went to night 3 of his International Dance Party at Paisley Park tonight. They played the whole new album at midnight and it loving rocks. Also took a tour of the studios, where I sat in his chair at the mixer, and was inches away from his guitars and the purple rain bike. Also one of the chicks from 3rdeyegirl was in the studio playing, as well as a guy who's name I forget who's been collaborating with him since the Revolution days. It was pretty loving cool.

E: Also they were selling shirts with Hit n Run Vol 2 on them. What's happened to make it not come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They also played an unfinished song from another upcoming album (or something that will sit in the vault forever, who knows) while in his private studio. And a bunch of single instrument stems from the first track of his new album.

E: Oh and the lyrics sheet for the unfinished song was sitting in the mixer. It was written out like all his song titles. U for you and 2 for to and such. Which is perfect.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 7, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

man nurse posted:

I went to the Oracle Arena show on the 4th, it was incredible. Purple Music was played, as was Dirty Mind, Thieves in the Temple, Venus De Milo, and The Beautiful Ones in full. Here's a full setlist http://www.princevault.com/index.php/04_March_2016

They also handed out Hit N Run Phase 2 on the way out, so I finally got to listen to it. It's a step back from how fresh and exciting Phase 1 sounded, with some really insipid tracks like Screwdriver and When She Comes, but it has a solid, meaty middle portion in Stare, Xtraloveable, and Groovy potential. Also closes with some pretty solid tracks. It's all the way a funk and R&B Prince album as opposed to the experimental nature of the last one, but pretty forgettable by comparison. Still, stoked to have my hands on it, seeing as a physical release has yet to pop up anywhere.

They're selling physical copies (or at least advertising that they are) at the Electric Fetus record store here in Minneapolis. They had big things for it all over the place a couple weeks ago when I went in to pick up my Bowie: Five Years set.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I get paid Friday when they go on sale, but they're going to sell out in seconds I'm sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got tickets to the Revolution show at First Ave in September.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^^Who's going to be doing vocals/frontman?^^^^

They haven't announced that for certain yet, but Dez Dickerson and Andre Cymone are both going to be there. I'd assume Dez will be doing his guitar parts and Andre doing vocals, unless they have someone else unannounced.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I went on a tour during the last three nights of house parties he did before he died, and it was awesome. I bet these will be pretty loving rad too, although I'm guessing the chance of going into the studio where one of the girls from Third Eye Girl will just be loving around with some guitars will be substantially less for them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just got back from The Revolution show (third and final) at First Ave. Holy poo poo, what a loving experience. Andre Symone and Dez Dickerson were both guests, along with Kimbra singing a few tracks, a special appearance by two out of three of the girls from Appolonia 6 (Susan wasn't there), and fuckin' Maya Rudolph and the other girl from Princess. They tore the god drat house down. Easily the best, most energetic, most emotional concert I've ever been to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Set list:

Let’s Go Crazy
Computer Blue
America
Mountains
Do It All Night
Let’s Work
Uptown
Party Up
Little Red Corvette
Sometimes it Snows in April
Raspberry Beret
Private Joy (featuring Kimbra)
Delirious (featuring Kimbra and Susannah Melvoin)
When U Were Mine
Controversy
Encore (all featuring Kimbra, Susannah Melvoin, Maya Rudolph, and Gretchen Lieberum)
Kiss
Baby I’m a Star
Purple Rain

Wendy did lead for most of the stuff, Dez and Andre came out starting with America and stayed up until 1999, then came back after Delirious. After Controversy is when Appolonia and Brenda came out and did a little spoken tribute to Prince and Appolonia threw a bunch of gold earrings into the crowd.

Here's a shot I took during Kiss with everyone out on stage:

There were also notices on all the entrances saying the show was being recorded, so maybe there will be some kind of official release at some point. At the very least I hope the board recordings leak.

Side note: During the first chorus of 1999, Wendy started singing the second verse early. Which was weirdly perfect and hilarious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wendy did most of the heavy lifting on guitar, including the Purple Rain solo. Clearly she's not Prince, but she did him proud.

And there was a Prince shaped hole early on, but to be honest once Symone and Dez came on it was less. Same with when Kimbra was on. Never filled, just less.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I just can't help thinking his absence must have been...well...hate to reuse the word again but palpable. Every time he took the stage, no matter what he was doing, all eyes were on him even if he was only playing the loving tambourine or noodling around on the keyboards. I saw Prince at a few aftershows up close and even when it was obvious he was just loving around, his magnetism was inescapable.

I imagine this show was bittersweet. I probably would have cried on "Sometimes it Snows in April".

From what I've read the first of the three nights was far and away the worst as far as Prince's absence goes. Everything I've read about it was that it was basically a night of grieving for both the crowd and the band, with even them barely holding it together and it effecting the performance.

Saturday though really did seem like it was more about celebrating him than mourning him, with the obvious exception of Sometimes it Snows in April, which was just Wendy with an acoustic guitar backed by Lisa. There wasn't a dry eye in the house for that one, or Purple Rain.

There was a lot of crowd interaction for the rest of it though, like Wendy cutting the whole band and having us alone sing the final chorus of Raspberry Beret, and saying that we had to sing so loud that he could hear us from the afterlife. Symone and Kimbra both helped fill the stage too with their showmanship and energy.

So while there were moments while him being gone was sad, and him not being there was always felt, it honestly felt more like a party in his honor for most of the night. It's given me closure on the whole thing in a way I still don't feel about Lemmy or Bowie, who were two other heroes of mine we lost really recently as well. I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever go to any concert that's as moving and incredible as this one was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think Dylan gets mentioned as much as Prince when it comes to Minnesota guys because he didn't really stick around in the same way Prince did. Or even reach the height of his powers while he was here. It wasn't really until he hit the East Coast that he became a thing. Prince you would see driving around in his purple limo, he would go see movies at local theaters, you might even see him riding his bike around Paisley Park, and he threw open to the public house parties there on a semi-regular basis. Dylan lives in fuckin' Malibu. We still have that big mural of him downtown, but I've never really thought of him as a Minnesota dude in the same way Prince was.

I'm only 29 myself, but my earliest memory is actually watching Batman '89 at one of my aunt's houses. Specifically the scene where Nicholson trashed the art museum while listening to Partyman. This is one of the reasons I went to film school, and even though I didn't really dig into his discography until I was a teenager, Prince was always there because of that, too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Me and a group of friends went to Paisley Park the night of his death and the tributes were already filling up the entire wall by the time we got there. We also went to First Ave after, as they shut down the whole block so people could gather, and it was covered in tributes as well. Most of the billboards, the electronic ones anyway, just had photos of him up.

I love that he's the only non-silver star on First Ave now, but I still kinda wish they painted it purple instead of gold.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I don't care about most of those guests. Like the only people I want to see there would be Stevie, Mayer, The Time, and 3RDEYEGIRL. No Revolution or Sheila E, what the gently caress? It seems to me like they should have just gotten as many acts who actually worked with or were associated with him as possible instead of like...Christina Aguilera, for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

off topic but i giggled that that super classy event space is like two blocks from sex world

Everything in downtown Minneapolis is pretty close to sex world, seeing as sex world is right smack in the middle of it, and like a block away from the train stations and all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've already been on what I assume is that same tour during the last series of house parties held there, but once the crowd dies down a bit I'll probably head out. Didn't do this weekend though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

All the reviews I've seen made it sound like it was a confused mess of a show. Several of the acts pulled out at the last minute, and with a few exceptions like Wonder it was disappointing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm sure the time was great. It's a shame they only let them play two loving songs. But his ex wife really needed time to do her sword routine I guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Have any of the Revolution shows from First Ave last month gone up anywhere yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A free pop up museum opened in the Mall of America to promote the Paisley Park tours. They don't have a ton of stuff there, but they do have some pretty cool stuff. His suit from the Rock and Roll HOF when he threw that guitar into the air that never came down, the suit from the Raspberry Beret video, his Superbowl guitar, his original notebooks from Graffiti Bridge, his shooting script from Under the Cherry Moon, and some other outfits/memorabilia. If you're in the area and a fan there's basically no reason not to check it out. They're of course also selling merch, I picked up a t-shirt and one of the tour books they're also selling at Paisley Park.

• Locked thread