Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not though?

Please look again at the post I quoted from you, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So what, does not having a gay character in your story mean you do not recognize they exist? Because that's a pretty big stretch. As is forcing one interpretation of an ambigous character as the correct one that everyone should follow.
I'm really confused about your logic here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Correct, the only thing that stops the nazis from coming back is luck and limb removal. Also, scripted falling deaths stop the Zombification process for some reason. You can stab a guy in the head and he'll regenerate as a zombie if you are unlucky.

Hey, you mentioned having no problems with the area in the practice run. Are you trying to do commentary then too or no? I'm not sure if by practice run you just mean 'going through the level to make sure I remember where all the items are' or 'playing through the game with commentary before the upload'

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

So what, does not having a gay character in your story mean you do not recognize they exist? Because that's a pretty big stretch. As is forcing one interpretation of an ambigous character as the correct one that everyone should follow.
I'm really confused about your logic here.

Putting a gay character in your videogame means that you are representing a group of people who often don't get much representation. Never having a gay character ever unless their gayness serves the plot is stupid and backwards.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
But why...?
e: On second thought, nevermind. Agree to disagree, understand that we misunderstand; this isn't getting anywhere and makes the thread unpleasant for everyone.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

But why what?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RareAcumen posted:

My point was more 'Hey, you're already throwing in dragons and werewolves and griffins into your fantasy game, I feel like it'd be less of a stretch to put in non-Europeans into it'
I know, my point is that dragons and poo poo are clearly fantastical, something we just have to accept as part of the world because they're creatures of pure fantasy. People on the other hand are a known quantity, so you have to work with that if you want to create a believable world, because the bar for suspension of disbelief is much higher for things people are familiar with than those which are entirely made up.

RareAcumen posted:

And it is fantasy so to me, not knowing a lot about writing and game development or anything in general, it kinda seems a bit weird to make a fantasy world that also keeps some of the same negative trappings that we've got now.
By the same token you might as well do away with aristocracy, kings, knighthood, and all the other stuff that usually characterizes the fantasy genre. Those negative trappings are part of a greater whole, you can't just excise them without undermining the coherence of the setting.

To bring this back to Wolfenstein, the existence of the supernatural (or in some cases super science) is just a conceit of the series, pure fantasy to allow for BJ to go up against poo poo crazy enough to truly warrant his presence. It's not realistic at all, but that doesn't matter, what matters is that the Nazis act like Nazis, they just happen to have access to poo poo the real Nazis could only dream of. Conversely, even though non-white people obviously exist in real life, and are thus infinitely more realistic than any of this supernatural poo poo, having the Nazi soldiers BJ fight be a racially diverse group would undermine the suspension of disbelief far harder than any zombie or Nazi wizard. Because we know the Nazis were humongous racists who thought WW2 Europe was way too diverse.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

cargohills posted:

Putting a gay character in your videogame means that you are representing a group of people who often don't get much representation. Never having a gay character ever unless their gayness serves the plot is stupid and backwards.

Let me say it this way to end it, as a gay person, pretty much every single gay character in western AAA games have looked stereotypical to the point of mockery to me except a select few.

Now why the gently caress are we talking about this when we can talk about ways to blow up nazi zombie heads.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I guess I should also have added that good representation generally doesn't make the character's minority status their entire character, which is why Annette is such a great character.

e: in that even though her possibly being gay is part of her character not everything about her revolves around it

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, you mentioned having no problems with the area in the practice run. Are you trying to do commentary then too or no? I'm not sure if by practice run you just mean 'going through the level to make sure I remember where all the items are' or 'playing through the game with commentary before the upload'

I played this game twice through before I started the LP, those are what I consider my practice runs. With a game like this I wanted to get at least somewhat familiar with the levels and pacing before recording anything. In general I'm not doing any sort of commentary during those runs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I played this game twice through before I started the LP, those are what I consider my practice runs. With a game like this I wanted to get at least somewhat familiar with the levels and pacing before recording anything. In general I'm not doing any sort of commentary during those runs.

That explains why you're not having problems with them when you were doing them, then. :v: Playing the game on your own without doing commentary is a lot easier than the opposite, I'm betting.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Correct, the only thing that stops the nazis from coming back is luck and limb removal. Also, scripted falling deaths stop the Zombification process for some reason. You can stab a guy in the head and he'll regenerate as a zombie if you are unlucky.
Well, that is going to make the stealth sections even more interesting, then. :keke:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I know, my point is that dragons and poo poo are clearly fantastical, something we just have to accept as part of the world because they're creatures of pure fantasy. People on the other hand are a known quantity, so you have to work with that if you want to create a believable world, because the bar for suspension of disbelief is much higher for things people are familiar with than those which are entirely made up.

This is cogent enough, but people literally find dwarves and elves more believable than black people. That's simply incredible.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

George posted:

This is cogent enough, but people literally find dwarves and elves more believable than black people. That's simply incredible.

One of the biggest Broadway sensations this season is a hip hop musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton where the only white actor is the dude that plays George III bitching about the loss of the colonies; if it works as well as it does for that, you'd think that more folks would be willing to set aside the "but our verisimilitude!" and just roll with stuff.

radintorov posted:

Well, that is going to make the stealth sections even more interesting, then. :keke:

I'm interested in seeing how this impacts these sessions as well; trying to get through the stealth sections in TNO perfectly was a hang up of mine and I'm curious to see how this switches up the formula.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

citybeatnik posted:

One of the biggest Broadway sensations this season is a hip hop musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton where the only white actor is the dude that plays George III bitching about the loss of the colonies; if it works as well as it does for that, you'd think that more folks would be willing to set aside the "but our verisimilitude!" and just roll with stuff.

I almost got to go to see that and really wanted to, but it was sold out while I was passing through NYC. It sounded so goddamn neat.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
As fun as it is to imply that wyverns are more plausible than black people, it's even funner to imply that a world where wyverns existed wouldn't have had racism/apartheid during their equivalent of the Middle Ages. :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

George posted:

Only a couple of people in this thread have been saying that. The thread was going "Huh, I wonder if Annette is meant to be a lesbian and wouldn't it be neat if she was because she's well written and you don't see that much in the media." Then one poster went "Why do they keep putting gays and black people into video games?"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Only a couple of people in this thread have been saying that. The thread was going "Huh, I wonder if Annette is meant to be a lesbian and wouldn't it be neat if she was because she's well written and you don't see that much in the media." Then one poster went "Why do they keep putting gays and black people into video games?"

To be fair it's a pretty important question too. Like, is Annete sneaking past all the zombies as part of a love story, or is she using her newfound ability to kill them as she slaughters her way through a buddy cop zombie slayer movie? The game doesn't directly answer this question so it's entirely up to our whims.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
The second someone posted about Annette's sexuality I knew the thread was going to be poo poo for long time.

VVV
Not your fault, was an innocent enough question.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 5, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

JossiRossi posted:

The second someone posted about Annette's sexuality I knew the thread was going to be poo poo for long time.

:sigh: Sorry, again I didn't know what I'd be unleashing.

FoolyCharged posted:

To be fair it's a pretty important question too. Like, is Annete sneaking past all the zombies as part of a love story, or is she using her newfound ability to kill them as she slaughters her way through a buddy cop zombie slayer movie? The game doesn't directly answer this question so it's entirely up to our whims.

Ah okay so it does not answer it directly, that's all I was curious about really. Like Cythereal said I was just wondering about it since Annette is well written and I was just curious is all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just finished this game now. I haven't actually played much of The New Order, but I liked this.

I didn't actually realize that when dual-wielding, you need to use BOTH mouse buttons until the final boss fight, when I ran out of ammo for my left gun, but still had some for the right gun. Oh well, I still managed to win on my first try (although barely).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just finished this game now. I haven't actually played much of The New Order, but I liked this.

I didn't actually realize that when dual-wielding, you need to use BOTH mouse buttons until the final boss fight, when I ran out of ammo for my left gun, but still had some for the right gun. Oh well, I still managed to win on my first try (although barely).

Rub it in our face, why don't you.

George posted:

Witcher-humans are super racist against dorfs and elvess, to the point where SPOILERS GOD drat IT Geralt died while protecting them during one of the many progroms when stabbed by a peasant. He got better and since there's apparently plane hopping in Witcher, one realm has a mountain of human skulls, since elves preemptivelly killed all humans. Having it more Medieval makes Witcher world stand out from all the Faeruns and Fereldans, just like Jade Empire, being based on Medieval-ish China, only has one dude, since they're kind of exotic and cooky. Never felt like that game needed more diversity: Chinese peasants, Chinese ghosts, Chinese bureaucracy, it all creates a world that is totally different and awesome.

Then you transform into a giant clay robot and kill everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention the single white dude in that game is voice by John Motherfucking Cleese. It's probably the most underappreciated Bioware game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Not to mention the single white dude in that game is voice by John Motherfucking Cleese. It's probably the most underappreciated Bioware game.

Alpha Protocol of BioWare games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JcDent posted:

Rub it in our face, why don't you.

Witcher-humans are super racist against dorfs and elvess, to the point where SPOILERS GOD drat IT Geralt died while protecting them during one of the many progroms when stabbed by a peasant. He got better and since there's apparently plane hopping in Witcher, one realm has a mountain of human skulls, since elves preemptivelly killed all humans. Having it more Medieval makes Witcher world stand out from all the Faeruns and Fereldans, just like Jade Empire, being based on Medieval-ish China, only has one dude, since they're kind of exotic and cooky. Never felt like that game needed more diversity: Chinese peasants, Chinese ghosts, Chinese bureaucracy, it all creates a world that is totally different and awesome.

Then you transform into a giant clay robot and kill everything.

sad thing is they will probaly never make a sequel/anyquel to jade empire. Personaly i prefer witcher to dragon age because dragon age got too i dont know. star treky. in the newist one everyone gets along too well. because in mass effect, everyone had conflict of all types. species/cultural/personal. hell in 3 if you gently caress up a bunch it ends in at least a few species wiped out because you couldnt get them to get along well enough. in the witcher everything is gray or has unintended side effects. the peasants are ignorent and bigoted, but sometimes care about there own. hell the best quest in 3 is about wife beater pretender lord who actually realizes how hosed up he is and wants to make amends and either way the ending is sorta sad.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I like to use the term "Fireworks Factory" to describe anything a game hangs in front of you through dialog and hints as being loving awesome and cool and you don't get to see it or use it or whatever until late in the game. If you aren't familiar with the Simpsons that may seem like a weird term to use, but fans of the show will recall the episode where Homer started voicing a dog on Itchy and Scratchy and his debut episode had said dog interrupting the stars of the cartoon on their way to a fireworks factory. The whole thing ended with one of the main cast (not part of the cartoon within the cartoon) crying about how they never even got to the fireworks factory.

Why is all that important? Because the giant robot thing I showed off in the last moments of the previous episode is the star of the show here and the game has been loving dropping hints that you'll use this thing at some point since the prologue chapter. Also, I completely lost my sense of direction and forgot the pathing through the last few areas of the game, so get ready for me to get confused here.

I like the robot, it's a nice change of pace, though you can get off of it and basically only use it to progress if you really want to, which is a nice concession to people who just want to dome zombies and the scattered SS officer. After this episode we're in the home stretch, like I said, this is an expansion and not a full entry in the franchise and so is only so long.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Lazyfire posted:

I like to use the term "Fireworks Factory" to describe anything a game hangs in front of you through dialog and hints as being loving awesome and cool and you don't get to see it or use it or whatever until late in the game.

Interesting take on Chekhov's Gun. Chekhov's robot in this case.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I love how BJ just casually used a dead Nazi as a ladder, like it was nothing out of the ordinary for him. :allears:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
That huge drop in skill when Lazyfire's panicking just makes me want to see him try mgs5 :allears:

Also is the Laderoboter an earlier version of the one in the concentration camp in new order? Kinda looks like it from the front.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 5, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BJ is great because he does ridiculous things with relatively little comment like he's used to them, and because he's always legit concerned about the people around him (who are not nazis). He tries so hard to make sure things go okay.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I like the lighting switch from the orange of the burning city to the blue-green of the obviously not haunted at all graveyard.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I love how BJ pauses at the top of the wall as he sees the graveyard on the other side. Doesn't say anything, just stares for a moment, and then hops over.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

*sighs internally*

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

That huge drop in skill when Lazyfire's panicking just makes me want to see him try mgs5 :allears:

Pfft, that's a baby game, they give you an arm that knocks people the gently caress out.

And a gun that can put bears to sleep

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

BJ is great because he does ridiculous things with relatively little comment like he's used to them, and because he's always legit concerned about the people around him (who are not nazis).

And are also not him. It's pretty normal of him to be worried about everyone else since they're not as fueled by Nazi hate as he is and thus, not as likely to survive on their own. That rage allows him to do stuff that no one else seems to be able to accomplish, like shrugging off a pipe to the leg without it slowing him down in the slightest, or just stumbling into easy-make weapon/tools like how he got the pipe in the first place. You see Annette or Kessler ever climb a wall with a bit of pipe? I didn't think so.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It makes him a really likeable guy. BJ is a genuine hero and it's the cause of a lot of his pain, but the biggest reason he can keep going, too.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That left/right mouse button confusion Lazyfire mentioned early in the video is what it's like for me when duel-wielding weapons in TNO in general.

Rather than the standard WASD setup, I have my own set of keybinds I came up with back in ancient times, before I'd heard of WASD. Since I use the right mouse button for "jump", I have alternate fire on left-ctrl instead - which boils down to primary fire (left mouse button) being on my right hand, and alternate fire being on my left.

TNO expects most people to be using the mouse buttons for primary and alternate fire though, so when you dual-wield something, primary (left mouse button) is for the left weapon, and alternate (right mouse button) is for the right. Sounds fair enough, but with my setup that means that they're actually swapped; right is left and left is right.

I wish they'd put a toggle option in the game settings for that, because it does my head in every time.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I have noticed that that happens fairly often with games that dual wield and are designed with controllers in mind. I had the same issues with bioshock 2 and Skyrim.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The thing that I like about the Lageroboten (the early version of Mr. Fist which supposedly didn't need souls to power it) is that zombies can climb the front and you need to shoot them. It's a little bit of neat interaction with the inside of the bot which reinforces the idea that you're riding inside a robot (instead of melding with the machine like in, say, Battlefield) and few games do that. Titanfall has really nice Titan entry and exit animations. If only that game wasn't Call Of Duty But With Giant Bots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's been mentioned before, but one of the things that is endearing about Blazko is the fact he never... 'acts' like he's a 'bad-rear end', unlike, say Gears of War which also had stupidly muscular player-characters. Him being relatively quiet and understated makes him; well, a much better character.

• Locked thread