Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BJ doesn't really want to be here because him being here means there's nazis and war, and he really wishes he got to live his dream of a nice house, backyard cookouts, and a wife and kids instead. But he's here, so he's going to do what he has to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Gears of War is so dreary. Phoenix is always gritting teeth while not saying much while the Space American Football is the only player has any sort of color, "Nobody can stop the Coal/Coletrain!"

Fire Warrior looks full of character and color in comparison to Gears of War, and GoW inexplicably shat up the whole Third Person Shooter genre. Damnation and Deep Black Reloaded comes to mind.

Oh God, gently caress Deep Black Reloaded.

If you want vaguely GoW-ish characters feeling cool, you want Bulletstorm.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

BJ doesn't really want to be here because him being here means there's nazis and war, and he really wishes he got to live his dream of a nice house, backyard cookouts, and a wife and kids instead. But he's here, so he's going to do what he has to do.

Blazko is a first person shooter protagonist who knows he's a first person shooter protagonist (in a not-meta sense), and wishes he wasn't.

It gives him a little depth he might not have otherwise.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Eh, he knows how to relax. Alas, poor Yorick!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

If you want vaguely GoW-ish characters feeling cool, you want Bulletstorm.
And this is realizing that Bulletstorm is a parody. Yup, shooter writing is that good. Shadow Warrior 2013 actually does the comedy badass routine pretty well too.
But good luck finding a decent serious shooter out there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

And this is realizing that Bulletstorm is a parody. Yup, shooter writing is that good. Shadow Warrior 2013 actually does the comedy badass routine pretty well too.

He does slice up bitches even before demon katana shenanigans, so you know, he's legit.

I didn't realize Bulletstorm is a parody. It was just a fun game with a main character that could have been happier (I like happy chars) and the reaver planet from Firefly

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, the basic mechanics of a shooter are so ridiculous that it's much easier to write a good parody of the average humorless FPS than it would be to write a shooter that contains the gameplay of a shooter but has a serious story. Wolfenstein is one of the only ones I can think of that pretty much pulls it off, mostly by the world being full of Nazis and so of course you have to gun down hundreds of people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I didn't realize Bulletstorm is a parody. It was just a fun game with a main character that could have been happier (I like happy chars) and the reaver planet from Firefly
Weird, I never considered it could not be a parody given the writing in the "serious" bits ("Oh no! We've been killing idealists and political opponents all along!") is in such a contrast to the actually decent to good gags.
Now if they meant it seriously, that puts the game in a different light.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Come back to me on that in like 20 missions :v:

Semi on topic though, I do hope they look a bit at how stealth is handled in that game for the next wolfenstein game, seems like it'd fit really well, being able to ghost stuff but not punishing you for going loud.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

anilEhilated posted:

bullestorm also kinda of has a emotional heart, much like wolfenstine does. which is a nice change of pace.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bullestorm also kinda of has a emotional heart, much like wolfenstine does. which is a nice change of pace.
So has SW2K13! Mind you, it's got rather different emotions, but it's there.
I think any shooty game at some point wants to deal with the absurdity of its gameplay if it wants to tell a story you'd be willing to believe. If you don't acknowledge that, you get GoW... Or Watch_Dogs. That doesn't necessarily mean you need comedy, mind you: often it just helps to overplay one aspect of the action. A good example could be Metro 2033 and its survival horror vibes - the insane shooter gameplay best works in a insane world.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 6, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, yes, that was another great serious shooter. Both Metro and Last Light.

Also, Last Light especially (but also Metro) included lots of ways to avoid killing if you wished and made it a major challenge if you wanted to.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Ah, yes, that was another great serious shooter. Both Metro and Last Light.

Also, Last Light especially (but also Metro) included lots of ways to avoid killing if you wished and made it a major challenge if you wanted to.

Kind of forced you to, really. Want the good ending? Spare the underground concentration camp buildings fascists, rapist bandits and bioweapon using Soviets cos killin' is bad, m'kay?
It was kind of to take the game seriously, too, when it had corpses (supposedly of stalker elites) everywhere, in amounts surpassed only by Singularity.

The amount of dood shooting in FPS comes to mind when I start thinking about a possible game where you're a Middle Eastern dude who has to fight, at one point, Americans. You're so used to killing hordes of folks as an American soldier that killing Americans as someone else would be really odd.

SpecOps The Line don't count: you're Delta, and that's basically the apex predator of FPS protags.

Then again, a MidEast starring FPS is as likely as WWII game with a German soldier protagonist.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JcDent posted:

Kind of forced you to, really. Want the good ending? Spare the underground concentration camp buildings fascists, rapist bandits and bioweapon using Soviets cos killin' is bad, m'kay?
It was kind of to take the game seriously, too, when it had corpses (supposedly of stalker elites) everywhere, in amounts surpassed only by Singularity.

The amount of dood shooting in FPS comes to mind when I start thinking about a possible game where you're a Middle Eastern dude who has to fight, at one point, Americans. You're so used to killing hordes of folks as an American soldier that killing Americans as someone else would be really odd.

SpecOps The Line don't count: you're Delta, and that's basically the apex predator of FPS protags.

Then again, a MidEast starring FPS is as likely as WWII game with a German soldier protagonist.

to be fair. both the bad ending and the good ending were pretty good in last light.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

anilEhilated posted:

So has SW2K13! Mind you, it's got rather different emotions, but it's there.
I think any shooty game at some point wants to deal with the absurdity of its gameplay if it wants to tell a story you'd be willing to believe. If you don't acknowledge that, you get GoW... Or Watch_Dogs. That doesn't necessarily mean you need comedy, mind you: often it just helps to overplay one aspect of the action. A good example could me Metro 2033 and its survival horror vibes - the insane shooter gameplay best works in a insane world.

SW2K13?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Shadow Warrior remake, a game I'm apparently way too fond of for some reason.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean the theme in Last Light is basically that righteous or not the killing has to stop or people will just keep repeating the cycle of violence that led to them all being stuck in subway tunnels surrounded by monsters. And even if you get the 'bad' ending it's still a satisfying conclusion to the story that saves the day.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Yes, almost half this episode is an interview between Helga and one of the mental patients from the start of the game. If you're like me and watch everything on a device that beams poo poo to your TV (what an age we live in) and you don't want to listen to the entire interview Helga has you can skip from 3:24 to about 11:24. Otherwise:

This is the first section of the game I felt like I needed to re-do after going through it the first time. Mostly because I completely forgot how this part goes and I also maybe forgot to record the first time through most of it. It's not like the segment is overly complex or anything, but there are a few more sidetracks available here than for most of the rest of the game. If I'm remembering correctly this is the only segment of the game that features all the enemy types you will encounter at once. You have your shotgun guys, super soldiers, commanders, regular dudes and snipers in one stealth section, and the last three can become zombies. Personally, I wish they did more with the zombies in stealth sections, generally, the regular nazis and the nazi zombies almost never meet unless you are creating some of the latter out of the former, but even then, it's pretty difficult to see the tactical value in not using the biggest, most damaging weapon on the nearest nazi to ensure you don't get a zombie as turning one of the enemies has almost no tactical advantage besides being a kind of fun distraction.

Also, I can't get anyone to record LA Cops with me, no one wants that burden.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Moonwalking super soldiers. Sure, why not? Probably the least hosed up thing BJ has seen over the years.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Also, I can't get anyone to record LA Cops with me, no one wants that burden.

I heard that game needs a makover, needs a whole new Polease on life.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, that was a strangely long audio log; same with its counterpart from earlier in the expansion. Very long-winded for how little information it was actually communicating to the player.

I mean the performances were great - same as the rest of the game - but it was so drat long.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

Man, that was a strangely long audio log; same with its counterpart from earlier in the expansion. Very long-winded for how little information it was actually communicating to the player.

I mean the performances were great - same as the rest of the game - but it was so drat long.

I remember there being a couple long audio logs in TNO also, but that was a much longer game so it didn't seem as bad. And they might have been integrated into cut-scenes, so you're not just standing around rubbing all up on stuff and fingering dead Nazis for ammo. Which I guess makes them cut-scenes and not audio logs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That dig site was quite Dark-Soulsey considering how it was interconnected the way it was.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AradoBalanga posted:

Moonwalking super soldiers. Sure, why not? Probably the least hosed up thing BJ has seen over the years.

Training for the Lunar mission undoubtedly :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Things I should have done by this point:

1: Recorded the letters and put them at the end of a video

2: Maybe replayed the end of the game so the final boss didn't look like a slow motion abortion during a trainwreck

3: Come up with a better way of saying I do poorly on the final fight.

I don't know why I wasn't able to get the boss down in one shot, he's not a particularly difficult fight once you know how to fight him, but I think I spent too much time using my hoarded rocket pistol ammo on him instead of just shooting the giant glowing mouth. Truth be told, the boss is pretty difficult to hit with the rocket pistol thing because you have such a small gap of time to shoot it at him and have to be fairly accurate to do any real damage.

So that's it, the end of the game. Like I said, it's not as long as the New Order by any means, but you still get plenty of miles out of it, especially for what the game costs. There are some spots where I really think this outshone TNO, particularly with the layout of the stealth sections which made them so they weren't just pistol snipe fests and some of the set piece fights were just as good as TNO. I would have killed for maybe a couple different enemy types or maybe some non one-to-one TNO to TOB weapon conversions (one of the weapons is just the assault rifle's secondary fire mode from the previous game). Realistically, though? In a year Machinegames crafted a really good follow up to a game that took them something like four years to make and all the mechanics and fun stuff that worked in TNO is present and accounted for here, save for the LKW.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

How would the silenced pistol(s) have worked on that last guy?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, every time I think about replaying this, I just remember the final boss.

Kills that impulse right dead.

Congratulations on finishing, though. Just... that boss is so bad.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

It's a nice touch how BJ's internal monologue sounds so different than his external "jokin' around" persona.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The weirdest and best part of this series is that it's able to be subtle about its characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I never realized that the boss was blind, possibly because I never died. I figured out the crouching to avoid sweep attacks on my own. Still, by the end I was down to critical health, and it took me until this boss to realize that I needed to hold both mouse buttons to fire both weapons in dual wielding.

I didn't know at first that there was a choice between Kessler and Annette, the objective just said "get to Kessler and Annette". I just thought it was a timed sequence, so I raced through the workshop as fast as I could, I reached Kessler and saved him, but I missed one of my shots at the zombies attacking Annette, and I thought that maybe she died because I didn't slide across to save her immediately.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 14, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm not a very good player, so I eventually realized that if you stand on a pillar near the stairs, shoot the monster, and then drop down on the stairs, his attack will hit second floor, not you. Back and repeat, Zombie getting you down, son? You can fire silenced pistol, the monster doesn't hear it, so it doesn't provoke attacks (it does if you shoot him, though).

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So, like, I'm a little confused, what exactly WAS the monster supposed to be? Like some of the notes mention that the animals Otto gave the alchemical compound to grew big and emitted the zombie gas, but gorillas of war aren't really a think in medieval Europe and that thing was clearly humanoid and not some overgrown dog, horse, or even war elephant. And it wasn't on fire and none of the zombies we saw seem to be larger than normal, so I don't think it's just a zombie that's been around waaaaay too long.

Do the letters or anything shed some light on it?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, as soon as I saw it, I thought the swipe attack was telegraphing that you could duck it; I was wondering why you weren't doing it. I don't think I would have realised that it was blind, though. It reminded me of the rocket-test tentacle monsters from Half-Life; where they notably had a character flat-out tell you that they act based on sound.

Lazyfire posted:

There are some spots where I really think this outshone TNO, particularly with the layout of the stealth sections which made them so they weren't just pistol snipe fests...

It was a weird experience seeing you do that both here and in the TNO LP. Given the option, I generally disable crosshairs in FPS games for the sake of ~my immersion~. I can't remember if you can do that in TNO, but in any case, I don't shoot from the hip much, so I didn't even realise that pistol-sniping from the hip was a thing you could do when I played the game. It makes the stealth sections a fairly different experience.

Anyway, thanks for the LP! It was cool to see the game. I'd basically decided to pass on TOB for the foreseeable future since it's still very expensive here in Australia and I'd heard it was fairly short.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, like, I'm a little confused, what exactly WAS the monster supposed to be? Like some of the notes mention that the animals Otto gave the alchemical compound to grew big and emitted the zombie gas, but gorillas of war aren't really a think in medieval Europe and that thing was clearly humanoid and not some overgrown dog, horse, or even war elephant. And it wasn't on fire and none of the zombies we saw seem to be larger than normal, so I don't think it's just a zombie that's been around waaaaay too long.

Do the letters or anything shed some light on it?

I think it's intended to be a golem straight out of Judaism. It would definitely fit in with TNO's theme of Nazi's pillaging poo poo from the Jews.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think we're supposed to figure out that the monster is blind by its thrashing of Helga. She clearly manages to control it and gives out clear orders (attack the American) that anyone who could see their target would recognize. However, since the monster cannot see, it uses its hearing and attacks the closest source of noise, thinking that Helga is the target. And if you missed this cue, the fact that the monster goes after ANY source of noise, be it BJ or Nazis, is the other cue that King Otto's monster is blind. And this second one is something that players would be bound to stumble upon during the fight and put the pieces together. So yes, the game does tell you the monster's crippling weakness, but unfortunately opts to do it in a very roundabout way that can be easily missed by the player.

Also, I'm glad Fergus came back for the ending. I suspected both he and Wyatt would show up as a lead in towards TNO's events, but I guess they really wanted Wyatt to be the "new kid on his first day at work" character, so he gets left out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I dont get what the boss is supposed to be? is he like the blind retarded mutant son/creation of otto?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont get what the boss is supposed to be? is he like the blind retarded mutant son/creation of otto?

I think he's pretty much the end result of Otto's experiment, a flesh golem stitched together from mutilple corpses.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's possibly also the source of the zombie chemical turning everyone into zombies, too. It's leaking reanimant.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I was just waiting for you to miss a knife so bad that you hit someone else :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like that Helga pronounces Franz 'France' when she sees it's Blazko... but what type of an accent does she have? It's not like any German accent I know of.

Edit: 'Sie idiote'? Surely at that stage you'd just be saying 'du idiote'

Edit edit: Can't you cook the grenades so that they'll explode in it's mouth?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 14, 2015

• Locked thread