Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Why is Patrick Swayze kicking that US Army officer (clearly carrying an AR, even if he is wearing the wrong helmet) in the chin?

Alternately the Swayz just ripped one and the soldier fell over laughing about it.

I'm not going to even touch that ridiculous gun he's holding. It has three barrels and what I can only assume is some kind of very, very large scope? It's like they married a grenade launcher to I don't even know what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RickVoid posted:

I'm not going to even touch that ridiculous gun he's holding. It has three barrels and what I can only assume is some kind of very, very large scope? It's like they married a grenade launcher to I don't even know what.
TNO has a sniper rifle that has a secondary mode that turns it into a laser rifle by flipping the scope to one side. Just accept that...whatever young BJ is holding is the product of Crazy Nazi ScienceTM and all will be better.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well, since it is clearly only emitting very short flames instead of firing rounds I assume it is some sort of crazy experimental industrial butane lighter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you use a takedown on a supersoldier and then start shooting at them when their gun, do they start losing armor?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

We're gonna kill Rudi's dog in front of his eyes, aren't we?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but the Skyrim helmet isn't the only reference yet:

Just started playing today and noticed it on the vending machines past the telephone speaking Nazi in the wire-car-whatever-thing station.

I was sure that Graben Freunde meant "grave/coffin friends"

I just like this "trains on time" poster.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Fantastic, glad to see you get around to LPing this, Lazyfire. I only caught the TNO LP right as it was ending, but it immediately sold me on the TNO&TOB Steam bundle - MachineGames definitely deserved it. I do really wish that the pipes had become The Melee Weapon, and the knife wasn't an option after the intro. It would have simplified the weapon loadout a bit, and the knife is really just irrelevant anyway (except for throwing). Minor complaint, though, and I massively enjoyed my time in Old Blood.

The fact that you can choose whether or not to try stealth is great, and I happily played this with BJ's patented stealth method (kill a few Nazis quietly for variety before you have them summon even more to gun down). The combat in these games really is just fantastic, and each of these arenas can turn into a great sorta-harrassed, sorta-in control running gunfight on less brutal difficulty levels.

Also, re: Indiana Jones, I think they still have the stunt show going at Disney-MGM next to the Star Wars section, and it was always great fun. One time with my family, my dad actually got in as one of the henchmen by specifically bringing his loudest, gaudiest, pinkest Hawaiian shirt and jumping up and down yelling his head off when they picked volunteers. Fun show.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!
I'm sure this gets mentioned in every Wolfenstein thread ever, but the background of the castle and the frequent mention of the city of Paderborn point to the Wewelsburg near Paderborn being Castle Wolfenstein's real-life counterpart. Especially since the Wewelsburg was a popular spot for Nazi and SS activities.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Samovar posted:

We're gonna kill Rudi's dog in front of his eyes, aren't we?
Given BJ's history, absolutely. And probably in the most painful way possible (for both Greta and Rudi).

Alternate option: We somehow trick Greta into attacking Rudi, and Rudi accidentally kills Greta in the confusion. Cue the Rudi Jager boss fight.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That isn't the first Nightmare bed, I think. There was one back in the intro chapter. Under the Gondola leading up to Castle Wolfentsein.

I believe that one is supposed to be found when you come back through the area later as the first bed I showed off is the first level of the Hans Grosse chapter from Wolf 3D.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 12, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK, one thing that's bothering me is that we're told Rudi feeds prisoners to his dogs. But the guy we see him dragging is speaking German and looks pretty Aryan? I guess he could be a deserter but that brings up the question of why anyone would desert from the Wehrmacht when the war's going so well for them, particularly a cushy guard job way behind the front lines.

Unless Rudi has German-speaking prisoners (whether Allied or not) bussed in specifically for his dogs? :stonklol: That'd certainly add another layer to the insanity and now that I think about it that's the most logical explanation. The Den is a research base not a prison or frontline stockade that POWs would naturally end up at. Although I'm probably putting more thought into this than MachineGames did.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I think that given the note alongside the prisoner who was brought into the dogs, I think the prisoner was the veterinarian who refused to give Rudi's dog surgery.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I loving love shotgunning things in the Machinegames Wolfensteins. Not only do the guns rise above the "video game shotgun" label where they are only effective up close, but they are just loving visceral as hell, oftentimes causing enemies to explode into red mist or causing limbs to be completely blown away if the blast hits one area particularly hard. The only problem with them is that the ammo is somewhat scarce, meaning I play a bit conservative with them most of the time. The semi-auto shotgun has to compete in this game with the bolt action sniper rifle I use way too often for the next few levels. I feel like it's a drastic improvement over the marksman, which was only usable as a scoped in sniper rifle (or at least there were no crosshairs when not scoped) or as a laser weapon. The bolt action rifle in TOB is that perfect mix of high risk high reward you want in a powerful weapons. It can kill most enemies in one hit, especially if you headshot them, and kills the shotgun guys in two headshots vs. the entire magazine of assault rifle ammo you may have to dump into them otherwise. At the same time, if you miss a couple shots you could be completely screwed as the enemies just tear you apart if you aren't careful in these games.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Edit regine cineres hic sarcophagus habet.

"This sarcophagus holds the ashes of the queen Eadgyth." It's a real inscription http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2010/7073.html

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Does the Laying/Lying joke even work the same way in German that it does in English?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every single gun in this game has tremendous feedback on it. They all manage to feel powerful and dangerous.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
BJ rammed a pipe straight through a dude's steel helmet. :stare:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

BJ rammed a pipe straight through a dude's steel helmet. :stare:
Well, BJ's plan is to kill all the Nazis in his way. Even if it means using sporadic feats of superhuman strength to increase the body count.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kurieg posted:

Does the Laying/Lying joke even work the same way in German that it does in English?

Only if the guy trying to tell the story is a complete and utter dumbass. So, not really.

Also, I could swear that grammar Nazi is a famous German voice actor but cannot find his credit anywhere.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

gschmidl posted:

Only if the guy trying to tell the story is a complete and utter dumbass. So, not really.

Also, I could swear that grammar Nazi is a famous German voice actor but cannot find his credit anywhere.

It works in english because our language doesn't really have a set pattern for tenses like the romance languages do. The past tense of lie is lay. Where as the present tense of laid is lay. I have no idea how german conjugation works normally, but from my brief wiki trolling it looks like the infinitives are similar but the conjugations are very different.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gschmidl posted:

Only if the guy trying to tell the story is a complete and utter dumbass.

In the words of Private Wyatt: "The best part about Nazis, sir, is that they really are stupid!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That joke is so good, they used it in both games. Literal grammar Nazis, ho-ho!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I love that little sting that plays every time you silently headshot a dude. Keeps things tense.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pennfalath posted:

Edit regine cineres hic sarcophagus habet.

"This sarcophagus holds the ashes of the queen Eadgyth." It's a real inscription http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2010/7073.html

...which part of that inscription refers to Eadgyth?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Samovar posted:

...which part of that inscription refers to Eadgyth?

"EDIT". Eadgyth is just "Edith" in Olde Ynglysh.

e: technically the Old English is Ēadgȳð

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 15, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The game is a little too happy with floor breaks, BJ falls.

Of course, that's not even to close to CoD Ghosts falling-as-transition.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

JcDent posted:

The game is a little too happy with floor breaks, BJ falls.

Of course, that's not even to close to CoD Ghosts falling-as-transition.

I will take 'floor breaks, hero falls' over Crysis 2's constant concussions and unconsciousness any day. Plus, it makes sense here. BJ is a 200kg muscle mountain lugging another 400kg of plate armour, weapons and ammo, plus an increasing number of solid gold bricks. If anyone is going to overstress a dry old wooden gangway, it's BJ.

Speaking of gold bricks, I believe the one in the tomb pit is from the 'dead end' that's been boarded up. You have to show those boards who's boss to open a path towards loot.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So with any luck the LP inside the LP will be starting up Wednesday next week. It'll probably only be about four videos and pretty short ones at that. It really more belongs in the bad game thread than anywhere else, but it'll cover the rest of the LP easily.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

WFGuy posted:

I will take 'floor breaks, hero falls' over Crysis 2's constant concussions and unconsciousness any day. Plus, it makes sense here. BJ is a 200kg muscle mountain lugging another 400kg of plate armour, weapons and ammo, plus an increasing number of solid gold bricks. If anyone is going to overstress a dry old wooden gangway, it's BJ.

Speaking of gold bricks, I believe the one in the tomb pit is from the 'dead end' that's been boarded up. You have to show those boards who's boss to open a path towards loot.

There is also the chamber right before you need to sprint jump across the walkway, there are some boards you can climb up. It's a really 2000's set piece, because the boards are pretty tiny and it feels like you are breaking the game.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I am so irrationally goddamn angry that the assault rifle isn't a super science version of the FG-42 from Return to Castle Wolfenstein. :qqsay:

I mean its nice that the bolt action rifle references it but I would have liked a different version of the assault rifle rather then the super science STG-44 from the new order.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Klaus88 posted:

I am so irrationally goddamn angry that the assault rifle isn't a super science version of the FG-42 from Return to Castle Wolfenstein. :qqsay:

I mean its nice that the bolt action rifle references it but I would have liked a different version of the assault rifle rather then the super science STG-44 from the new order.

Are you trying to suggest the Nazis should not have been the model of efficiency by only inventing one perfect, one-size fits all assault weapon and should instead have pursued many extravagant and mostly pointless variants solely to look cool?

It's like you don't get Nazis at all!

(Nazis would totally have done that)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Nazis had the most inefficient economy in the history of the world. The Italian fascists had the second.

About the only thing the Nazis were actually good at was lying about how good they were at things. They inherited or stole everything worthwhile.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know, that was the joke.

Nazis were awful at everything and their economy basically got steadily worse the more non-nazi economists and officials they purged and replaced with nazis.

I mean, heck, it's one of the key plot points in Wolfenstein, and one I appreciate: They didn't invent all this stuff. They stole it. From Jews.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Nazis were amazing at hilariously impractical weapons.

Also rockets, they were drat good at rockets.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 16, 2015

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Mostly because the von brauns were good at their jobs and fit all the prerequisites to not be murdered. Logistically it was bound to happen in some field

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also the Nazis wouldn't have been as efficient in their rounding up of people if it wasn't for good old American IBM and their punch card tabulating machines. IBM allowed the Nazis to conduct a census and find out who had Jewish grand parents, that data could be then stored, sorted and then passed on to the relevant department. It's one of the reasons they were able to be so effective and quick rounding people up

Incidentally that is what the tattoos were for in the concentration camps, your number for the IBM Hollerith machines.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

JFairfax posted:

Also the Nazis wouldn't have been as efficient in their rounding up of people if it wasn't for good old American IBM and their punch card tabulating machines. IBM allowed the Nazis to conduct a census and find out who had Jewish grand parents, that data could be then stored, sorted and then passed on to the relevant department. It's one of the reasons they were able to be so effective and quick rounding people up

Incidentally that is what the tattoos were for in the concentration camps, your number for the IBM Hollerith machines.

Could you elaborate on that? Because that is an aspect of the Holocaust I wasn't aware of until now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
This is probably the most thorough book on the subject, although IBM has said that it stretches a bit of some of it's conclusions and allegations. Here's the wiki page for it with a good overview.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Captain Bravo posted:

This is probably the most thorough book on the subject, although IBM has said that it stretches a bit of some of it's conclusions and allegations. Here's the wiki page for it with a good overview.

Even if it's 100% accurate they'd still say that, so it doesn't help much :v:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bumblingbee posted:

Could you elaborate on that? Because that is an aspect of the Holocaust I wasn't aware of until now.

yeah, sure Neruz has posted a link to IBM and the Holocaust which is an amazing work of history.

Anyway the high level summary is this:

IBM made it's name and fortune in the late 19th Century producing punch card machines that were used primarily for Census information. They got a contract to add up the numbers for the US Censuses in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Eventually IBM developed overseas operations, selling their punch card machines to the Tsar in Russia and eventually to Nazi Germany.

What their punch cards would allow the Census organisers to store was very basic information, male, female, single, married, religion, but it also allowed them to mark information up to two generations back, so they could tell if you had a Catholic Grandfather and a Jewish Grandmother. Also I think they would sometimes take the information from the records of births and deaths held by the various towns and cities and sometimes church organisations. Therefore even if you didn't fill out the census the Nazi party would have information about you.

One of the things IBM and the Holocaust elaborates on is that it wasn't just that the Nazis bought the machines off the shelf and ran them, they were for the time very complicated and required lots of man (well usually women) power to operate as they were far from automated in their operation. And once IBM realised that the Nazis were really serious about keeping track of information about their population then IBM worked very closely with them to develop solutions that suited their needs. Of which a large part was identifying peoples racial / religious heritage.

What this information allowed the Nazis to do is essentially produce long lists of all the people with Jewish ancestry say and quickly and effectively capture them and round them up. They knew where they lived and they knew your ancestry.

There were a few American companies that worked with the Nazis, Prescott Bush, father of G Bush and grandfather of GW even got in trouble for trading with the Nazis.

Also one could make the argument that the Nazis were inspired by a lot of American theories on Eugenics and for setting the presidency of having legalised racism / slave labour in an industrialised country. But that's getting away from the documented facts that IBM machines helped the Nazis carry out the Holocaust.

The book does make it clear that the Nazis were set on this, and would probably have achieved it anyway if they really wanted to - but for certain aspects the IBM machines really helped with the efficiency of the process.

If you don't have time to read the book this article gives a reasonable summary: http://gizmodo.com/5812025/how-ibm-technology-jump-started-the-holocaust

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Night10194 posted:

I know, that was the joke.

Nazis were awful at everything and their economy basically got steadily worse the more non-nazi economists and officials they purged and replaced with nazis.

I mean, heck, it's one of the key plot points in Wolfenstein, and one I appreciate: They didn't invent all this stuff. They stole it. From Jews.

The Nazis literally had an idiotic line of thought called Aryan Physics! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Physik

• Locked thread