Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK, one thing that's bothering me is that we're told Rudi feeds prisoners to his dogs. But the guy we see him dragging is speaking German and looks pretty Aryan? I guess he could be a deserter but that brings up the question of why anyone would desert from the Wehrmacht when the war's going so well for them, particularly a cushy guard job way behind the front lines.

Unless Rudi has German-speaking prisoners (whether Allied or not) bussed in specifically for his dogs? :stonklol: That'd certainly add another layer to the insanity and now that I think about it that's the most logical explanation. The Den is a research base not a prison or frontline stockade that POWs would naturally end up at. Although I'm probably putting more thought into this than MachineGames did.

Suspected traitors or "You have failed me for the last time" I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

1stGear posted:

Why on Earth would any think its a good idea to send BJ on an undercover mission

When you don't expect it to stay undercover because you're up against a colorful and exotic roster of supernatural monsters, mad scientists and their creations, and possibly an ancient civilization that destroyed itself. For such situations, BJ is precisely the man you want to send.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

Sadly for them there was a severe disconnect between the high level command who knew what they were doing and planned this and everyone else who thought they could totally win against a nine-hundred pound gorilla once it had woken up and found a club. They also vastly underestimated just how angry the nine-hundred pound gorilla would be.

There was also the small issue that people in the Japanese military who knew they probably couldn't win the war they were launching had a habit of getting assassinated by those who disagreed. Excellent American signals intelligence also helped a great deal, and the Pearl Harbor attack ironically shot Japan in the foot in more ways than one.

In particular, Pearl Harbor forced the Americans to rely on their carriers rather than their battleships to carry the naval campaign contrary to established naval thinking worldwide at the time. While the Japanese had been the first to forge naval aviation into a decisive weapon of war, they never made the leap of strategic thinking to considering the carrier a decisive weapon in and of itself. The IJN consistently saw carriers as a powerful raiding force, capable of delivering a heavy blow but not the decisive instrument of naval war that the Americans developed in the form of the carrier task force. Like most of the world's navies at the time, the Japanese still saw the battleship as the primary weapon on the seas and the premiere tool of force projection on a global scale, a school of strategic thinking pioneered by Britain, refined and promulgated by Alfred Thayer Mahan, and reinforced by the Japanese naval victories during the Russo-Japanese War.

As things turned out, the lessons the Japanese navy had learned from the Russo-Japanese war and their own strategic thinking proved inapplicable to the war of attrition and rapidly advancing technology that characterized the Pacific theater of WWII. Realistically, Japan's hopes of winning any sort of war against the United States rested on the American political will to fight that war. Their fundamental gamble was hoping they could cripple the American navy to the point that the American civilian and military leadership would sigh and call it a day. Their gamble did not succeed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Back on the subject of this game, I'm calling it now: King Otto as an undead monstrosity is the final boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh you silly Nazis, thinking this is going to end in some way other than lots and lots of dead Nazis. And that's before BJ is taken into account.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

To be fair at this point in the timeline they have no idea that BJ needs to be taken into account.

Quite true, but even without BJ it should be blatantly obvious to everyone that digging up what's under this town is only going to end one way, and that way is not to the Reich's benefit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nah earlier on BJ says he's seen the Supersoldiers in the X-Labs before so RTCW happened in some form at least.

The New Order also noted that Deathshead's change of characterization came from his nearly fatal encounter with BJ. So close a brush with death made Deathshead realize that life was too short and precious to be spent cold and unhappy, so carpe diem and enjoy all life has to offer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mzbundifund posted:

You're absolutely right, but there's not a conceivable action on heaven or on earth that wouldn't piss a few people off. I'll be fine with it as long as it's well done. I don't mind if every entry in a series or setting isn't exactly the dang same.

Alternatively, give her a Da'at Yichud exoskeleton or the like and go the opposite direction.

Personally, I can't help but be a bit irritated that the idea of a female protagonist instantly makes people think it must be a stealth game rather than an action game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

My bigger concern is how a sequel to The New Order would handle the Fergus/Wyatt situation. Does some plot element (read: Nazis loving with the supernatural for the gorillionth time) result in both timelines getting merged or do you import a save file and that file determines which timeline you continue?

Get around that by moving the game elsewhere, perhaps? Setting the game in TNO-verse Russia, China, Japan, or the US could be interesting.

One thing I've always wishes the Wolfenstein series would do would be to go whole hog on the Weird War Two premise. Wolfenstein 2009 is my favorite of the series for coming close to that, and I'd love to see a sequel to TNO picking up a similar atmosphere while still keeping the very stark, human tragedy and horror TNO keeps emphasizing under the mad science veneer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here's hoping the game starts feeling fun now that presumably the paranormal is back to the forefront.

My biggest complaint about The New Order and so far The Old Blood is how somber and just not fun they feel. I understand and applaud the artistic design, storytelling, and characters, but I have to file them alongside games like Spec Ops: The Line, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer as games I'm glad exist but don't intend to pick up or have but only played them once.

Wolfenstein 2009 still feels like the apex of the series as far as feeling fun to play as far as I'm concerned.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah.

The game has an excellent sense of humor, which helps you deal with the weight of Nazi atrocities.

For every moment of sadness and despair, there's usually at least one line like

"Nazis on the moon. gently caress you, moon."

If you say so. The impression I got from the LP was a horrendously bleak game and characters in-story know their attempts at jokes are falling flat because it's just that dour, unhappy of a world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Eugenics and such were pretty popular in the West during the interwar period and was even considered the enlightened humane thing to do as a part of the white man's burden. Perennial nerd icon H.P. Lovecraft couldn't shut the gently caress up about how his insanity-inducing fishmen from R'yleh were a condemnation of race mixing. It really took the concentration camps to get people to go :gonk: and rethink that position.

There were states in the US that had forcible sterilization laws (generally of the "incurably criminal" which mostly meant black people and those with what we today recognize as mental disorders) in the 1970's.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NuminaXLT posted:

I figured he meant the Nazi's when he was referring to the monster coming anyways?

I like to imagine his family just had a very mangy, battle-scarred tomcat whose favored napping spot was in the basement.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I also got the impression that Annette is a lesbian, but it's hard to tell under the circumstances and in 1946 it's highly unlikely it would be openly discussed due to the severe Nazi backlash even in real world history against the Weimar Republic period of the 1920s and 1930s in Germany that saw a significant rise in homosexuality and feminism becoming more accepted and open. In real world history a large part of the German ultra-right's anger and rise to power was shutting all of that down on grounds that it was immoral, eroding the fabric of society by women claiming independence from and equality with men and both genders becoming more open about sexuality, and so on and so forth.

It's not often remembered that 1920s Germany saw a remarkable flowering of social liberation and the arts before the rise of the ultra-right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samovar posted:

You should read the Brown Plague by Daniel Guérin to get an idea of how Germany was changing from a 'liberated' 20s by the Nazi machine. Unsurprisingly, it's a sad book.

I've read it. :) I wrote a few papers on the destabilization and fall of the Weimar Republic when working on my history degree. The Republic is a really interesting period of history that's often overlooked, and amusingly at odds with the popular idea of Germany in the West. Strange as it might sound, for a very long time Germans were stereotyped as a soft, creative, artistic bunch wholly incapable of being a militaristic people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why do you care if this is the game depicting a gay character without explicitly talking about it? It's entirely possible she's simply talking about a very dear friend. It's also entirely possible that she's talking about a girlfriend. Given that media depictions of gay people are still uncommon, especially in video games specifically, I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if Annette was written as a lesbian. Doubly so given how rare in video games lesbians are included for anything but titillation - Bioware, I'm looking at you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dscruffy1 posted:

Characters who are realistically depicted, and not Bioware crap. I think they must have had at least one good character but I can't remember it.

Bioware's central issue with characters, if you'll pardon the digression, is that most people will agree that they do have a small number of genuinely good characters who are drowned out by a much larger number of mediocre or downright offensive characters. The problem is that very few players can agree on which characters fit into which categories.

In this case, Annette may or may not be a lesbian. And presumably if you rescue Kessler she dies. But still, a queer character portrayed completely seriously and whose sexuality is only an incidental aspect of the character is something rarely seen and welcome. No, it wouldn't change a thing if she was talking about a boy instead. That's beside the point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

George posted:

This is cogent enough, but people literally find dwarves and elves more believable than black people. That's simply incredible.

Only a couple of people in this thread have been saying that. The thread was going "Huh, I wonder if Annette is meant to be a lesbian and wouldn't it be neat if she was because she's well written and you don't see that much in the media." Then one poster went "Why do they keep putting gays and black people into video games?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

It's possibly also the source of the zombie chemical turning everyone into zombies, too. It's leaking reanimant.

I wonder if it's not supposed to be King Otto himself, the final terrible result of his attempts at immortality.

And it was nice seeing Annette and her ?girlfriend? again there at the end. :3:

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 14, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Have you ever met an engineer?

This piece of fanart from the Endless Space LP speaks for long-vanished precursors and mad wizards/scientists/engineers throughout fiction:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hard counter posted:

emperor's new clothes/they look like monsters to you?

Ever read the Bible? Angels are usually described as pretty drat weird looking, thus why the first words out of their mouths are usually "Do not be afraid!"

• Locked thread