Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samovar posted:

With respect to BJ being a spy, I remember the old adage: 'If nobody's left, nobody saw you'.

The James Bond school of stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lazyfire posted:

Also, Jesus Christ I'm glad neither my or my wife's family have signs of dementia, it's such a terrifying prospect.

Don't worry, your brain will probably find its own unique and interesting way to go insane as it ages past its use-by date :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CommissarMega posted:

Don't they have treatments for dementia? I could swear I read that they had ways of holding it off.

There are ways to treat some of the symptoms to lessen their effect, but that's about it. It depends a bit on exactly what is causing your brain to degrade, however in general the best you can do is minimize the effects and slow the progress a bit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Nazis were amazing at hilariously impractical weapons.

Also rockets, they were drat good at rockets.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 16, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Captain Bravo posted:

This is probably the most thorough book on the subject, although IBM has said that it stretches a bit of some of it's conclusions and allegations. Here's the wiki page for it with a good overview.

Even if it's 100% accurate they'd still say that, so it doesn't help much :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JFairfax posted:

Also one could make the argument that the Nazis were inspired by a lot of American theories on Eugenics and for setting the presidency of having legalised racism / slave labour in an industrialised country. But that's getting away from the documented facts that IBM machines helped the Nazis carry out the Holocaust.

The fact that prior to WWII many western nations including the USA had actual Nazi parties and a lot of rich white men openly supported Nazi ideas is often curiously absent from the history books. It is often omitted that before we realized just how totally evil Nazism is a lot of people actually thought it was a pretty good idea.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Stalin probably killed a lot more people than Hitler ever did as well, Stalin was just better at hiding his crimes from the rest of the world.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the question was never whether Nazi Germany would win WWII, the question was how much damage they'd do before they lost. Even if they had 'won' the war in Europe the entire country would have just imploded within a few years.

That said, Hitler did sort of hurry things along a bit by deciding that a two-front war was a good idea. The Japanese also vastly underestimated how violently the Americans would react to being surprise attacked, though at least unlike Nazi Germany the Japanese (at least the smart ones) never expected to win the war in the Pacific, they intended to try and gain an advantageous position before everything went to poo poo and then use that position to negotiate a peace.

Sadly for them there was a severe disconnect between the high level command who knew what they were doing and planned this and everyone else who thought they could totally win against a nine-hundred pound gorilla once it had woken up and found a club. They also vastly underestimated just how angry the nine-hundred pound gorilla would be.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

They still got tens of millions of people killed. If that's what happens when someone who isn't up to taking on the world takes a swing in modern warfare, I never, ever want to see what happens in an even fight. Nuclear or no.

No-one does, why do you think we stopped having World Wars after the second one? :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Invading Russia is a terrible idea and unless you happen to be called Genghis Khan you are best advised not to do it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair at this point in the timeline they have no idea that BJ needs to be taken into account.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nazis of course being well known for making good and sensible decisions with regards to digging up ancient evils and dark magic. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Anime Reference posted:

I think this game represents the point in the Wolfenstein timeline where the Nazis decide that this supernatural stuff is more trouble than it's worth and go pure stolen Jewish technomagic.

And really it's not hard to understand why they made that decision.

The hard part is understanding why it took so long in the first place.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Allies would have been more successful with their black magic research in the sense that after getting some initial results they would probably realize that there is no way it will end well and just stopping right there. No matter how many possibilities it seems to offer the only reality you ever actually get is horror and death and often some hideous dark god clawing its way up out from the depths of nightmare.

Then again the Allies did also get up to their own brand of shenanigans with supernatural powers :v:

Actually you know that's something; it's always the Nazis digging up ancient magic\Jewish god-technology and waving it about. Why don't the Allies ever plunder some ancient lore and start deploying battlefield psychics.

JcDent posted:

So, by by our reckoning, both RCTW and Wolfenstein happened, so what's the canon status of robo hitler at this point?

I believe we must assume that Robo-Hitler did indeed happen and that BJ ended him.

Presumably we can thank Deathshead for Robo-Hitler.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They probably just cloned him. Hell do they actually mention that the Fuhrer is Hitler? It's possible that is just the title of the leader of the Reich.

If it is supposed to be Hitler then cloning and\or dark magic would be my best guess :shrug:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Dozens of different Hitlers all standing around a table shouting at each other as they attempt to co-ordinate a pan-dimensional assault across the multiverse :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Necrachy of Black Zion would be a pretty neat alternate outcome for WWII; WWII ends because the Nazis accidentally undead apocalypse themselves with angry Jewish skeletons.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think at one point in TNO you come across a room where they are making the Super Soldiers and it is implied they are cloned and grown in vats before being cyborged. I could be completely wrong though, it's been awhile.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

RickVoid posted:

I think Wolf3D stated that his family were Polish immigrants, which is why even if his German is terrible, he had no problem speaking Polish in The New Order. I don't see any reason he couldn't be Jewish too, that just makes the whole thing better.

Apparently during TNO the devs mostly intended BJ to just be the son of Polish immigrants to America but by the time TOB came around they had decided his father was Polish and his mother was Jewish, which is why he understands some Hebrew and retroactively explains some of the characterization in TNO.

chiasaur11 posted:

"Nazis on the moon. gently caress you, moon."

BJ will never forgive the moon for allowing Nazis to be on it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6BaujmeF_4

The delivery is so great :allears:

Honestly TNO is full of amazing lines, like Fergus' report to Caroline when you go inside the Da'at Yichud archive. TOB seems to have plenty of entertaining lines too, it's amazing how much better it makes the game.

e: I only just realized that the reason the Wolf3D 'bonus' levels are in beds is because it's BJ literally having nightmares about Wolf3D :cripes:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 27, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
He's not making them up.

Also BJ notes that he feels that he and the 30 meter tall murder robot have a lot in common.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm as desensitized to violence as anygoon, but I had the exact same reaction. Still haven't played Infinite because of it. No I don't care how deep or good the game is, I don't want to watch "my" hands tear out that many throats.

Technically it's not your hands doing the throat ripping; it's the grappling hook saw blade that you are holding.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Roobanguy posted:

also technically you arn't holding it. the other police officer is.

"Why are you tearing your own throat out? Why are you tearing your own throat out?" *fleshy crunching noises*

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Especially since. You know. None of this is real. You're not actually executing a human being.

That said, your subconscious isn't very good at telling the difference between reality and a vaguely convincing facade of reality so plenty of people will react to the scene as if it were real which is fine. But that is no call to then start insulting the other people who reacted differently.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

Is it the goon argument that people shouldn't get immersed or worked up about video or any sort games again?

No, no this time it's the 'people are having the wrong emotional reaction to a posited fictional scenario' goon argument. :stare:

JcDent posted:

It's just like it sometimes pulls a string. Ripping spines out in Darkness 2 was extremely fun (and going through the brothel wasn't, so cudos to the devs), ripping folks apart in Wolverine: The One Movie Game Better Than Actual Movie: Origins was fun and closer to the Space Marine experience than actual Space Marine game. Killing that cop and Rudi somehow wasn't, even though I've already gone through all of the Nazis in TNO and all of the slavers AND slaves in Infinite.

This is your internal 'suspension of disbelief' at work; the Rudi scene hits you because at a basic instinctual level you believe he exists as a real human being. Other scenes do not because you recognize the fiction and thus cannot become emotionally invested in it. It's all about whether the many collected parts of your mind that are not your consciousness believe it is real, or that it is not real. The actual reality of the situation is meaningless; but whether you believe it or not on an instinctual level changes everything.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 28, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's all stuff that happens on a level way below conscious likes and dislikes. We're talking really basic animal psychology here. Emphasis on basic in the 'fundamental element of' definition rather than the 'simplistic' definition.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 28, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
TNO definitely subverts the Nazi\WWII genre standards in that it depicts the Nazis as actual human beings rather than acceptable targets yes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

George posted:

This is the other thing that troubles me. By making Nazis cartoonishly villainous we ignore the ways that actual human beings became Nazis.

That is because when you actually start thinking about the way real human beings became Nazis you get really depressed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah that's the really depressing part; once you realize the circumstances it is completely understandable and you can immediately see exactly how everything became horrible and was never going to go any other way.

The most depressing part about the Nazis is that at the end of the day they were people just like any other people, they weren't monsters, just men with very good costumes. And that is sooooo much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

P. Sure that one guy guy that in putting down Warsaw uprising was a monster. I keep forgetting the name, though.

Yeah, some of them were monsters in the end. But most weren't, most were just wearing monster outfits to get through the day.

JcDent posted:

Incidentally, what mode of dress did Nazis specifically ruined? Jackboots and pilot pants?

Yep, that dress right there. The dress that is now synonymous with 'fascist soldier'

Neruz fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 28, 2015

• Locked thread