Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1stGear posted:

Why on Earth would any think its a good idea to send BJ on an undercover mission

BJ being stealthy is a marching band covered in fireworks.

It's a stealth mission for everyone else while BJ Blazkowicz draws the attention of every Nazi in a 17 mile radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you use a takedown on a supersoldier and then start shooting at them when their gun, do they start losing armor?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

biosterous posted:

I totally agree. I might have phrased it a bit weird, so my point might not have come across correctly - I'm in favour of "characters who are more varied," not necessarily "more characters who are varied."

(still not sure if that makes any sense. But we agree, that's probably the important point)

I feel like Fire Emblem works as an example of one of those but I'm not sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If the Witcher is based around a fictionalized medieval Poland, the number of black people would be really limited I think. Like, you could literally count them on one hand.

What, can you only fit so many different races in a game because of all the griffins and fantasy monsters? If it's fantasy, what exactly is stopping you from saying 'and the races interacted a lot here'?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Verisimilitude? A great diversity of people in one place implies something of great enough significance that people will travel far to get there, which could be a religious center, a bustling trade hub, or a center of learning. That can absolutely work for a fantasy game, no doubt about it, but it's a very poor fit for any setting where the emphasis is on the backwardness and poverty of the region. It's characterization, except for a place rather than a person.

The comparison to griffins and poo poo doesn't really hold up I feel, since those are really just window dressing, while racial diversity directly deals with human nature. Just handwaving that away and going "and the races interacted a lot here" basically ignores that the reason for widespread racial diversity in the most diverse regions of the world is usually violence on a massive scale, such as the conquest of the Americas followed by the enslavement of millions of Africans, violence which still influences the lives of the descendants of these people. Of course if you did actually include similarly massive events in your fantasy setting, and the aftershocks of those events, then that's great, but the handwave just comes across as whitewashing of history (through fantasy) to me.

My point was more 'Hey, you're already throwing in dragons and werewolves and griffins into your fantasy game, I feel like it'd be less of a stretch to put in non-Europeans into it' And it is fantasy so to me, not knowing a lot about writing and game development or anything in general, it kinda seems a bit weird to make a fantasy world that also keeps some of the same negative trappings that we've got now.

DeusExMachinima posted:

The Witcher is set in circa-1200's Poland where the all the myths are true, so that'd be what's stopping them. If Projekt Red was based out of Spain telling stories about local folk fantasy set during El Cid's rule it's safe to assume that wouldn't be the case, but it's not the case.

Hey, that's useful stuff to know! I never got into the Witcher beforehand so all I knew about it was that it was an assumedly good series of games. That's a good enough reason to keep things semi-realistic as any, I'll relent.

JcDent posted:

Why couldn't Jade Empire have more white characters? Why does it have dragons and inscrutable engines, but not white characters?

Don't know anything about Jade Empire so why not?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Correct, the only thing that stops the nazis from coming back is luck and limb removal. Also, scripted falling deaths stop the Zombification process for some reason. You can stab a guy in the head and he'll regenerate as a zombie if you are unlucky.

Hey, you mentioned having no problems with the area in the practice run. Are you trying to do commentary then too or no? I'm not sure if by practice run you just mean 'going through the level to make sure I remember where all the items are' or 'playing through the game with commentary before the upload'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I played this game twice through before I started the LP, those are what I consider my practice runs. With a game like this I wanted to get at least somewhat familiar with the levels and pacing before recording anything. In general I'm not doing any sort of commentary during those runs.

That explains why you're not having problems with them when you were doing them, then. :v: Playing the game on your own without doing commentary is a lot easier than the opposite, I'm betting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

BJ is great because he does ridiculous things with relatively little comment like he's used to them, and because he's always legit concerned about the people around him (who are not nazis).

And are also not him. It's pretty normal of him to be worried about everyone else since they're not as fueled by Nazi hate as he is and thus, not as likely to survive on their own. That rage allows him to do stuff that no one else seems to be able to accomplish, like shrugging off a pipe to the leg without it slowing him down in the slightest, or just stumbling into easy-make weapon/tools like how he got the pipe in the first place. You see Annette or Kessler ever climb a wall with a bit of pipe? I didn't think so.

• Locked thread