Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah. I was interested in this one since it promised a more traditional RtCW/2k9 experience, then heard it's really short and decided I can do without. Looking forward to seeing what I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finally the Let's Player a masterpiece like Five Night At Freddy's deserves?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, with a regime like that people are going to start ratting on one another to settle personal scores. Not to mention there's still, y'know, actual criminals.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DeusExMachinima posted:

The Nazis literally had an idiotic line of thought called Aryan Physics! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Physik
I think I posted this in the TNO thread, but it got even better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Stalin probably killed a lot more people than Hitler ever did as well, Stalin was just better at hiding his crimes from the rest of the world.
That and he actually didn't get dethroned. You don't want the unsavory truths about your allies leak out; and then the Iron Curtain hit the stage and suddenly all the information was filtered and he had half of Europe for a playground.
That being said, yeah, Stalin was easily the biggest mass murderer of the 20th century.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

What about Mao? Or were his incidental more than purposeful?
I don't know, but now I get this picture of Mao, Stalin and Hitler sitting in a vat of boiling oil, being prodded by tiny pitchforks and comparing kill counts.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mind you, Soviet atrocities weren't limited to Germany... Or WW2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fellbat posted:

Edit: Also, the origin story for Fanta is insane. It's godamn Nazi soda and we still drink it.
What.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How did he make general with that name
Still, that is some pretty amazing sequel fodder.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Might be just me being slow but how exactly is a video game character's sexual orientation relevant to anything?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No, I really don't get it. Call me a backwoods European peasant or something but I figure there's no point in having a minority represented just for the sake of having a minority represented. If her orientation played any role in the story, sure, but it really seems completely random here.

Then again, it got me heavily flamed in the Steam thread when I suggested Witcher 3 was perfectly fine without black people...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's entirely the point - why should you care what her orientation is?
edit: Right, guess I just feel fishy about the whole positive discrimination thing. It's probably a minefield best stayed out of.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't see it as default, though: even a mention of a character being straight should have a reason. We got it with Pippa to show that she's flirty when she's being herself as opposed to her disguise and it works to give her more character but in Annette's case it's not evident whether she's talking about a friend or a girlfriend - and it doesn't really change our perspective of her, hence my confusion on why should it be important.

I think a good example of how I think this should work is in Fallout: New Vegas with Arcade and Veronica; neither of them is very open about their orientation, they mention it after you know a good part of their stories and just as a little thing, but it puts the rest of what they told you in a different light.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: recognizing that something exists is different from shoving it in your face.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

Can you really call a gay character being in a game "shoving it in your face"?
I'm not though?

TomViolence posted:

I think when the game let it be ambiguous and pass without comment it showed it was classier than us by a long mile.
This is what I meant. If it's ambigous, it's ambigous, it doesn't loving matter what her orientation is; either way it adds nothing to the story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So what, does not having a gay character in your story mean you do not recognize they exist? Because that's a pretty big stretch. As is forcing one interpretation of an ambigous character as the correct one that everyone should follow.
I'm really confused about your logic here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
But why...?
e: On second thought, nevermind. Agree to disagree, understand that we misunderstand; this isn't getting anywhere and makes the thread unpleasant for everyone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention the single white dude in that game is voice by John Motherfucking Cleese. It's probably the most underappreciated Bioware game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

If you want vaguely GoW-ish characters feeling cool, you want Bulletstorm.
And this is realizing that Bulletstorm is a parody. Yup, shooter writing is that good. Shadow Warrior 2013 actually does the comedy badass routine pretty well too.
But good luck finding a decent serious shooter out there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I didn't realize Bulletstorm is a parody. It was just a fun game with a main character that could have been happier (I like happy chars) and the reaver planet from Firefly
Weird, I never considered it could not be a parody given the writing in the "serious" bits ("Oh no! We've been killing idealists and political opponents all along!") is in such a contrast to the actually decent to good gags.
Now if they meant it seriously, that puts the game in a different light.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bullestorm also kinda of has a emotional heart, much like wolfenstine does. which is a nice change of pace.
So has SW2K13! Mind you, it's got rather different emotions, but it's there.
I think any shooty game at some point wants to deal with the absurdity of its gameplay if it wants to tell a story you'd be willing to believe. If you don't acknowledge that, you get GoW... Or Watch_Dogs. That doesn't necessarily mean you need comedy, mind you: often it just helps to overplay one aspect of the action. A good example could be Metro 2033 and its survival horror vibes - the insane shooter gameplay best works in a insane world.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 6, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Shadow Warrior remake, a game I'm apparently way too fond of for some reason.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta say this game channels RtCW extremely well. I was having flashbacks to that goddamn church full of those loving silent-SMG-wielding-pinpoint-accurate-way-too-loving-fast SS bitches in that game for the whole section.
Not too sure what to make of the game on the whole. It's way shallower and less complex than TNO but at the same time it feels more... Wolfenstein? I'm just sad it doesn't have the goofy-rear end superweapons of RtCW and 2009.

• Locked thread