Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Latest Video

What's this game?

Did you play Wolfenstein: The New Order? Did you watch my LP of it? If so, you have the basic premise. The Old Blood is a prequel to The New Order showcasing the events that led up to the assault on Deathshead's compound that served as the prologue for TNO. It takes place entirely in 1946 and opens with BJ Blazkowicz sneaking into Castle Wolfenstein with Agent One, a fellow OSA agent and apparently a good friend. As things go for BJ, poo poo hits the fan and, well, watch the videos. It isn't a full game by the way, but more of a standalone expansion. MachineGames put The Old Blood out a little over a year after TNO launched and it was only available via download for $20. All of that and MachineGames stating it was more an expansion than full fledged entry didn't stop game reviewers from harping on the length, the lack of variety in locations (it only takes place in a castle and then a village instead of being a world hopping adventure) and the minimal character development BJ undergoes in this game when compared to the surprising amount in TNO that quickly became some people's favorite part of the game. If you want all these complaints in one spot, here's Kotaku's review

Why are you playing this if it isn't as good as the first game

Because the guy from Kotaku is really bad at video games and can't enjoy things doesn't make the game bad. Most review sites ended up giving the game 3.5 stars or 70 out of 100. Some reviews contradicted each other, with the Kotaku review claiming the stealth sections were linear and that made it difficult to avoid getting caught and the Polygon review claiming they were too wide open and that led him to being caught too often. I think both failed to recognize that the formula for stealth sections was adjusted a bit to make it harder to just cap the commanders from a mile away with a pistol and call it a day. Look: the gameplay is generally as good as TNO, the guns are fun to use, almost every combat or stealth room is well designed and the gimmick weapon in the game is well utilized and has some great animations to it. By all accounts, this is a really good game.

Gimmick Weapon?

TNO had the LKW, the giant laser weapon. This game has...a three foot length of pipe. Well, I guess technically it has two pieces of pipes that BJ can thread together or hold separately depending on what he needs to do. It serves as your primary melee weapon, but can also open up doors, prop things open, hit buttons and serve as rock climbing equipment when needed. It also has some brutal animations that come along with stealth kills or as part of normal combat. For a time it serves as your only weapon so you can get familiar with the capabilities of the pipe, and like the LKW, it is useful to necessary throughout the game. Just like in TNO the majority of the games weapons can be dual wielded, which makes you move slower but provides more firepower. Unlike TNO where every weapon had some form of secondary fire function, only a few guns here have one and they are generally more down to earth than turning your sniper rifle into a laser gun. Also different from TNO is the ability to change the fire mode on either gun when dual wielding.

This game is fairly short, right?

Yes, about four hours if you are playing for the first time, less than that if you know what you are doing. I debated just bringing back the TNO thread to do this real quick, but I've elected to simply do another short game alongside this one (more on that when it happens). I'm also probably going to jump into the challenge mode in this game just to show that off.

Video Links:

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Characters

Name:BJ Blazkowicz
Rap Name: B-Cubed

BJ is the player character throughout the Wolfenstein series and is basically seen by everyone as a sentient pile of muscle and anger. In the New Order we saw he had far more emotional depth than his tough guy exterior would let on through a series of day dreams and inner monologues. That mostly flies out the window in The Old Blood as it is meant to be more of a throwback to the old Wolfenstein games to a degree. BJ still has mental conversations with himself revealing more about his family and childhood, but mostly focuses on the mission and killing Nazis

Name: Richard Wesley
Rap Name: Wes-One

Agent One is constantly called just Wesley in this game to the point where I thought it was his first name. His status as Agent One is a throwback to Return to Castle Wolfenstein and depending on how you read some game files the name Wesley may also be a holdover from that game. This is clearly a different guy, though because the original Agent One was electrocuted to death in a different Castle Wolfenstein in 1943. How many Agents named Wesley and castles called Wolfenstein are there in the world? Why does BJ always have to travel to one with the other?

Name: Rudi Jager
Rap Name: Old Rudi Bastard

Rudi is a high ranking SS officer and the main antagonist for the first half of The Old Blood. With Helga out of the castle he runs the place and that seemingly only consists of torturing people, feeding dogs and torturing people by feeding them to his dogs. He has an albino dog given to him by Hitler himself named Greta and if you say anything about that dog Rudi will loving crush your skull in his hands. I mean, he doesn't do that in game, but look at that dude, he's bigger than BJ and BJ already looks like a lab experiment to see how much muscle a person could have before they couldn't move under their own weight.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gently caress These Police In Particular: LA Cops

LA Cops Episode 1: No Plot

LA Cops Episode 2: Det. Green(thumb)

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 1, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This first video has a bit of everything. There are a ton of references to The New Order here: The opening with BJ asleep on the way to the mission is a throwback to the opening to The New Order, the keychain in the car is the same one seen in the New Order on the way to the London Nautica, and the Nazis in the mission mention gold items being exported out, probably a subtle reference to the items you collected in The New Order (replaced in The Old Blood by just gold bars). There's also a Skyrim reference in the form of one of the helmets in Helga's office. While the game starts off all actiony after introducing the key players and the setting of the game, we quickly go into stealth mode after we get the pipe. That stealth section we're in now continues for most of the next video as well in one form or another, one of the major issues people had with the game was just how long you went from getting the pipe to getting a real weapon again. Personally, I thought it was kind of neat and plus, you can just pick up a machine gun and really bust through the section in record time if you are so inclined (or you can get caught trying to do that and have to wait like ten minutes to move on). The pipe is the real star of the show for this first video, you see basically everything it does and can do here, and the game is training you to look for places to use the pipe, like craggy walls and stuck doors, as well as showing that it is an offensive tool. Because the pipe is a big part of the game it makes sense to give it this kind of introduction, though I wish a quarter of the game time wasn't spent on it. Realistically, a couple rooms would have sufficed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I hope it's not Chernobyl Commando.

No, CQC is going to have to do that one himself, though I have asked him to come guest on what I actually want to do.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samovar posted:

Well... there's definately nothing REMOTELY homoerotic about that menu screen there.

It's actually super manly, I don't know what you are talking about.

You don't see it for a while but it is also actually incredibly accurate to the game as BJ is shirtless for something like 75% of the game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

President Ark posted:

You can, but it's a hotkey that's never mentioned outside of the control settings.

loving what? I played that game at least six times through and never even accidentally hit that button. Then again, there is a section of this game that gives you exactly zero command prompts and doesn't have any control information in the settings sooooooooo

RickVoid posted:

Kind of hoping the other game is Wolf3D.

No one has been even close to what's happening with the other game and that's probably for the best as I like making people sad with my choices.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kurieg posted:

Didn't you already stay what it was going to be in Shadow of Mordor thread?

I was thinking about Steamworld and then reinstalled it and quickly realized I couldn't keep commentary going for however long it took to beat that game as you spend a stupid amount of time just hitting dirt with a pick. Yes, there are a crazy number of people who do just that with Minecraft, but that's a very broad definition of commentary.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

Knowing Lazyfire, it's probably going to be a terrible game that no one has LPed before because it's so dull.

I look forward to it.

I don't think anyone's LP'd it because it's just bad and short and not normally worth saying anything about, but it's also short enough that there will be like an hour of videos for it to supplement the Old Blood. By the way, I half finished recording The Old Blood already, so this'll be over pretty quickly all things considered.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

hard counter posted:

Alright what am I missing here.

Why are those pipes so sharp.

BJ can kill at will, that's all it really is. Like someone said, if he had a spoon in the pit with him the game would be about him somehow tearing the castle down with that same spoon.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Some more sneaking around and seeing Rudi being mean to people followed by our first combat section in almost an hour and a half.

Something I want to point out about the stealth in this game is that it is only slightly different from TNO, but different enough that people who were Stealth Experts in TNO (I got caught maybe twice in my LP, and at least once was on purpose) had some trouble with this game. There's a pretty simple reason why. Most of the stealth sections in the game require way more patience and more accounting of enemy positions than in TNO. In TNO you could cap someone inches away from another guy and so long as no one was looking your way the surviving Nazi would just walk around like nothing happened. In TOB that poo poo is incredibly rare. Enemies take greater notice of bodies, and will sound the alarm if you kill someone too close to them. Additionally, an enemy later in the game is not stealth killable and will be in a number of the later sections, making it more of a stealth puzzle or game of cat and mouse than it was in TNO. On top of all this, the game changes how the commanders patrol. Often you'll have a commander with a great deal of range that is an easy kill and then a commander seemingly hidden away somewhere or patrolling a very specific area. Altogether, this means having to sneak way more, plan out your route and keep track of the stealth-resistant enemies if you want to be able to get through a stealth area without raising an alarm.

Personally, I welcome the change. The Subway mission of TNO had a stealth section where you could, with a little aiming skill and some good timing, hit both commanders in an area without moving a step. Good luck pulling that off here. Additionally, there are a few areas where it is completely possible to pass right by the commanders without killing them. It's something I don't take advantage of, but something you can do nonetheless. The only real downside to the new structure is that some areas are basically going to be near forced combat zones. There are a couple places later in the game that I just can't figure out how to sneak past them, and so I get spotted and I often feel like I need to run right for the commanders to end the fight I just started. Still, the reviews complaining about how the stealth was worse seemingly mistake "adding challenge" for "making it worse."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RickVoid posted:

I, uh... think you forgot to cut a thing that you meant to cut.

:D
It's right at the beginning. And very funny.

Yeah, I thought about cutting that but it was way too funny because I got so in the habit of saying I was playing Wolfenstein the New Order that literally every time I've started an episode I'm mentally saying "Don't say New Order. Don't say New Order." To the point where I believe the next episode starts off with me explaining I have trouble with it. As such, I've decided to just leave in mistakes like that instead of cutting them just so I have a record of how often I mess up.

Edit: I actually missed cuts like this in three or so episodes of TNO and had to YouTube edit them away. If people don't find it as entertaining as I do I'll cut it out without having to re-upload.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 12, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RickVoid posted:

I figured it was probably something like that. You left yourself some time to cut it, though, so I figured I'd point it out in case you just forgot.

I'm disappointed to hear we'll get less of the somewhat disturbing commentary from inside BJ's head. That "She said it was carried through the blood" bit felt particularly melancholy, and resonated with me as my Grandmother has dementia. Not sure what's worse, knowing that I will likely go through it, and my kids will have to deal with it (and their own kids will have to deal with them), or that I can already see the earliest stages in my Dad. :(

I generally leave myself a clear editing mark and take down a note when I have to redo an intro or something, but I missed the mark this time and while reviewing the video I decided to keep it.

Also, Jesus Christ I'm glad neither my or my wife's family have signs of dementia, it's such a terrifying prospect.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That isn't the first Nightmare bed, I think. There was one back in the intro chapter. Under the Gondola leading up to Castle Wolfentsein.

I believe that one is supposed to be found when you come back through the area later as the first bed I showed off is the first level of the Hans Grosse chapter from Wolf 3D.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 12, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I loving love shotgunning things in the Machinegames Wolfensteins. Not only do the guns rise above the "video game shotgun" label where they are only effective up close, but they are just loving visceral as hell, oftentimes causing enemies to explode into red mist or causing limbs to be completely blown away if the blast hits one area particularly hard. The only problem with them is that the ammo is somewhat scarce, meaning I play a bit conservative with them most of the time. The semi-auto shotgun has to compete in this game with the bolt action sniper rifle I use way too often for the next few levels. I feel like it's a drastic improvement over the marksman, which was only usable as a scoped in sniper rifle (or at least there were no crosshairs when not scoped) or as a laser weapon. The bolt action rifle in TOB is that perfect mix of high risk high reward you want in a powerful weapons. It can kill most enemies in one hit, especially if you headshot them, and kills the shotgun guys in two headshots vs. the entire magazine of assault rifle ammo you may have to dump into them otherwise. At the same time, if you miss a couple shots you could be completely screwed as the enemies just tear you apart if you aren't careful in these games.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So with any luck the LP inside the LP will be starting up Wednesday next week. It'll probably only be about four videos and pretty short ones at that. It really more belongs in the bad game thread than anywhere else, but it'll cover the rest of the LP easily.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So one of the things I really liked with The New Order was that it never made you just sit around to listen to audio records. You could just play them whenever you wanted to during a mission or in the menu. Metal Gear Solid V did the same thing, instead of saddling you with endless cutscenes like most of the games in the franchise, you could listen to the voice actors go over past events and such via cassette tapes played while selecting missions or developing weapons. So it's kind of weird that at the end of this video there is a super long "interview" featuring Helga and a guy who sees things in his dreams that she is interested in. I think it's sort of like in MGSV where you spend like an hour just getting introduced to the game; an anomaly that is completely forgivable due to the quality of everything else around it.

Not a ton else to say about this one, it is really a continuation of the last video in most ways. Next video we get some major story points and one of my favorite scenes that prove BJ is just a gussied up Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samovar posted:

Is a Shakespearean theme going to present throughout the game? 'Cause I could see Helga going out the 'George Plantagenet' way.

Nope, it's just that one room where it comes up.

Neruz posted:

To be fair at this point in the timeline they have no idea that BJ needs to be taken into account.

I feel like if the New Order took place around Christmas you would hear Nazi mothers telling their children if they continue to be bad Krampus would come and murder their entire family and most of their friends with a rusted pipe.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I totally played through the game a second time with Wyatt living to show off J.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This video is about twice as long as I would have liked it to been because I didn't feel like there was a great place to cut this entire chapter. Instead we get all of BJ's escape from the castle at once, which I think is some of the most fun/difficult stuff in the game just because they throw everything at you in a pretty short space of time. Note how terrible I can be with the sniper rifle even though I love it so.

I mentioned the idea of throwing the letters from each chapter at the end of each chapter ending video, but the spots where I'm cutting videos haven't been great for that, and the letters are pretty short overall. Instead I'm going to put half of them on the end of an upcoming video and then the other half on what will probably be the second to last video. Not overly ideal, but way more workable at the end of the day because I already hosed the idea up by not recording the letters first like I was planning to. I hate to say it, but they are generally not as good or as heart rending as TNO's letters could be, but they do the same job of filling out the world of Wolfenstein. That said, I'm looking forward to what people think of the next video as it has some great BJ lines that, combined with what he does says then does in this video make me think that his dry, cool wit he could be an action hero.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

LA Cops Episode 1: No Plot

Have you ever wanted to play a video game based on a '70's cop show? Too loving bad, they made a game like that anyways and called it LA Cops. Unfortunately, they didn't bother making the game actually good, or long enough to justify associating a price with the game. I cleared my first run of the game in about two hours and that was with a half hour idle time between the second to last and last mission.

Why am I playing this? Consider it an education on buying things when they are on Super Good Sale on your favorite online shop. I bought this game thinking it was going to be a neat Hotline Miami sort of thing from watching the trailer, but instead I got a really poorly controlling, buggy mess. The first time I played I literally could not switch to the second cop unless the one I was controlling died. The game advertises upgrading your cops between levels, but never mentions that you have to leave the level in progress to actually get to the cop selection screen, which made me think the game was super long after I nearly beat it in one sitting thinking I was yet to complete a full level. Also, it describes itself as:

LA COPS store page posted:

A smart targeting system UI allows, you, the player to position your cops tactically whilst taking out the bad guys in real time.

You can go gently caress yourself WHILST you think up ways to lie about your targeting system, LA Cops. The thing both sucks and blows. The store page also describes destructible scenery as a selling point, but deducts points from your score if you damage anything. I describe a ton of my complaints about the game in the video, so for the rest of them I'm going to have someone else suffering through this crap with me. My god, I forgot, despite every character having literally zero facial features every one of them has the top connector on their sunglasses clipping into their faces. How do you gently caress that up?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm shaking things up, breaking down the old traditions and starting new ones out of spite the face in the image link is on the right instead of the left. Someday soon the city fathers will gather together and wonder what to do with that devilish Lazyfire character.

Sometimes I just want to complain about a game even if I like it. The Nightmare stages are really my biggest complaint about TOB, mostly because I do end up somewhat motion sick from playing them for an extended period of time. Also because without the insane movement speed of Wolf 3D they take way too long to run across. Not a ton to say about the game without revealing what happens story wise, though I will say that this is the end of the Rudi half of the game, and the second half makes a mostly clean break from his character as we start to focus more on Helga for the rest of the game and finally get back on the trail of that folder that contains the location of Deathead's secret compound.

Edit: If I miss an update go ahead and blame Big Boss and his bionic arm

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Thesaya posted:

Unfortunately, during your quiet bit you also overlaid the game's subtitles with your own...

I was kind of worried about that, but after spending almost three hours figuring out how to put them in without Aegisub I kind of sort of gave up.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mzbundifund posted:

Does BJ still not have a shirt on?

This is bothering me more than it should.

No, he doesn't.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Neruz posted:

BJ will never forgive the moon for allowing Nazis to be on it.

BJ's rationalized hatred of the moon was one of the best lines in the game and I will straight up fight (at video games) anyone who disagrees.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dscruffy1 posted:

Why did Brink bellyflop so hard? I remember having a good time with it right up until I wasn't. It was a straight drop off a cliff.

On the console at least it had a Worse-Than-Battlefield release where every player was constantly either rubber banding or ice skating, and because of console patch cert periods it took months to get fixed. By then everyone had abandoned the game. With BRINK that was especially painful because so much of the game was supposed to be about motion and free running and such, but because of the horrible netcode everyone ended up warping all over the place instead of the smooth movement system we were all sold on. And, it turned out that the system itself was of questionable use as there were few routes that actually offered any sort of tactical advantage or that saved much time. Add in the fact that only certain classes could achieve some objectives (and all the fuckery around classes in general), the lackluster weapons, the sometimes incredibly confusingly designed maps, the reliance on teammates to achieve objectives in an online game and the "single and multiplayer are one in the same!" stuff and you had a recipe for a complete spike in online population in just a few days/weeks.

Luckily for Splash Damage, their spiritual successor, Dirty Bomb, is way better on almost every front and is also free to play (though you have to buy characters with real rear end money).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

New chapter, new bad guy. Today we get up close and personal with Helga after hearing her on the radio and reading reports she wrote before she went down to Wulfberg for the final stages of her dig in the town. People have pointed out that there are a couple throwbacks to previous Wolfenstein games in this one, but part of this level is a direct throwback to The New Order, with BJ carrying a try only to be questioned by a intense female SS officer. Some reviews harped on this sequence in particular when they talked about TOB having less inspired interactions/environments. I feel like that's ignoring the fact that there are only so many ways you can have BJ interact with some characters the way the narrative works in these games, and the direct confrontation while undercover idea is a pretty good way to have BJ sit down and chat with the person he's going to oppose for the rest of the game. Rudi's characterization was done through his introduction at the start of the game and then BJ following him around seeing him being an evil bastard. Oh, and that whole torture sequence. Helga's character is pretty fleshed out by the time you meet her if you hunted down her journal entries, listened to background conversations and read a couple letters, but for the most part, you won't be just on her heels for the rest of the game like you were with Rudi, so the game has to give you a reason to oppose Helga and the direct confrontation is really the best tool available. It has the added benefit of moving the story along, as you'll see at the end of the video.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

LA Cops Ep. 2: Det. Green(thumb)

It's my goddamn lovely game LP and I'm going to name episodes after 20+ year old Cyprus Hill songs if I drat well please.

tehinternet (aka Ahnuld) joins me for the second episode of LA Cops, which is unfortunate for him because this game is a lovely unfun grind that no one should play. My original plan for this LP was to just make a ton of really bad jokes over the entire thing, but instead I'm finding myself constantly complaining about how bad the game is on almost every front. Eight levels, 9 cutscenes, only three of which have anything to do with the story. Half the time you are just shooting up a place for no good reason. The AI is so bad that it will at times refuse to fire on people directly in front of it, but at other times will snipe people off screen. The level design is so bad there are rooms you can only clear by sacrificing one of your cops to the Mafia Murder Gods. gently caress this game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

Ohgod Cyprus Hill, I haven't listened to them in like 15 years.

Just like the rest of the country. Rap/Rock Superstar was like the last time anyone cared about them.

God, imagine if I referenced a Bone Thugs and Harmony song that wasn't Crossroads.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Like I say at the start of the video, poo poo done happened. I'm not going to spoiler this, but yeah, the paranormal twist to the game is zombies. Of course it is, this is 2015 and there was a readable thing early in the game suggesting this exact thing was going to happen, so no one should be surprised. What is kind of cool about the zombies is that if you kill a guy in a stealth section with a gun or a throwing knife they could well turn into a zombie and start attacking their former friends. This will set off the alarm automatically, so it adds a bit of a random element to the sneaking sections of the game, which I think is a really fun but risky change to the mechanic for the like two times this can happen. Granted, you still have nazi killing moments for the rest of the game, so there's nothing like watching the reanimated corpses of your enemies attacking your still-living enemies. This video also reminded me why there is a pipe head explosion perk. Completely forgot about that no matter what I say in the video.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

M.Ciaster posted:

I guess that makes two of us 'cause I've been thinking the exact same drat thing.

I keep hearing good things about that show. Is that a good thing?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JcDent posted:

Peeestol headshots? No, since they don't make heads pop.

Correct, the only thing that stops the nazis from coming back is luck and limb removal. Also, scripted falling deaths stop the Zombification process for some reason. You can stab a guy in the head and he'll regenerate as a zombie if you are unlucky.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, you mentioned having no problems with the area in the practice run. Are you trying to do commentary then too or no? I'm not sure if by practice run you just mean 'going through the level to make sure I remember where all the items are' or 'playing through the game with commentary before the upload'

I played this game twice through before I started the LP, those are what I consider my practice runs. With a game like this I wanted to get at least somewhat familiar with the levels and pacing before recording anything. In general I'm not doing any sort of commentary during those runs.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I like to use the term "Fireworks Factory" to describe anything a game hangs in front of you through dialog and hints as being loving awesome and cool and you don't get to see it or use it or whatever until late in the game. If you aren't familiar with the Simpsons that may seem like a weird term to use, but fans of the show will recall the episode where Homer started voicing a dog on Itchy and Scratchy and his debut episode had said dog interrupting the stars of the cartoon on their way to a fireworks factory. The whole thing ended with one of the main cast (not part of the cartoon within the cartoon) crying about how they never even got to the fireworks factory.

Why is all that important? Because the giant robot thing I showed off in the last moments of the previous episode is the star of the show here and the game has been loving dropping hints that you'll use this thing at some point since the prologue chapter. Also, I completely lost my sense of direction and forgot the pathing through the last few areas of the game, so get ready for me to get confused here.

I like the robot, it's a nice change of pace, though you can get off of it and basically only use it to progress if you really want to, which is a nice concession to people who just want to dome zombies and the scattered SS officer. After this episode we're in the home stretch, like I said, this is an expansion and not a full entry in the franchise and so is only so long.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

That huge drop in skill when Lazyfire's panicking just makes me want to see him try mgs5 :allears:

Pfft, that's a baby game, they give you an arm that knocks people the gently caress out.

And a gun that can put bears to sleep

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Yes, almost half this episode is an interview between Helga and one of the mental patients from the start of the game. If you're like me and watch everything on a device that beams poo poo to your TV (what an age we live in) and you don't want to listen to the entire interview Helga has you can skip from 3:24 to about 11:24. Otherwise:

This is the first section of the game I felt like I needed to re-do after going through it the first time. Mostly because I completely forgot how this part goes and I also maybe forgot to record the first time through most of it. It's not like the segment is overly complex or anything, but there are a few more sidetracks available here than for most of the rest of the game. If I'm remembering correctly this is the only segment of the game that features all the enemy types you will encounter at once. You have your shotgun guys, super soldiers, commanders, regular dudes and snipers in one stealth section, and the last three can become zombies. Personally, I wish they did more with the zombies in stealth sections, generally, the regular nazis and the nazi zombies almost never meet unless you are creating some of the latter out of the former, but even then, it's pretty difficult to see the tactical value in not using the biggest, most damaging weapon on the nearest nazi to ensure you don't get a zombie as turning one of the enemies has almost no tactical advantage besides being a kind of fun distraction.

Also, I can't get anyone to record LA Cops with me, no one wants that burden.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Things I should have done by this point:

1: Recorded the letters and put them at the end of a video

2: Maybe replayed the end of the game so the final boss didn't look like a slow motion abortion during a trainwreck

3: Come up with a better way of saying I do poorly on the final fight.

I don't know why I wasn't able to get the boss down in one shot, he's not a particularly difficult fight once you know how to fight him, but I think I spent too much time using my hoarded rocket pistol ammo on him instead of just shooting the giant glowing mouth. Truth be told, the boss is pretty difficult to hit with the rocket pistol thing because you have such a small gap of time to shoot it at him and have to be fairly accurate to do any real damage.

So that's it, the end of the game. Like I said, it's not as long as the New Order by any means, but you still get plenty of miles out of it, especially for what the game costs. There are some spots where I really think this outshone TNO, particularly with the layout of the stealth sections which made them so they weren't just pistol snipe fests and some of the set piece fights were just as good as TNO. I would have killed for maybe a couple different enemy types or maybe some non one-to-one TNO to TOB weapon conversions (one of the weapons is just the assault rifle's secondary fire mode from the previous game). Realistically, though? In a year Machinegames crafted a really good follow up to a game that took them something like four years to make and all the mechanics and fun stuff that worked in TNO is present and accounted for here, save for the LKW.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

citybeatnik posted:

And, typically, if the next words out of the multitude of mouths that covered them weren't "The Lord sent me" or "Do not be afraid!" then they were destroying your city.

So you're saying that Ronald Reagan's "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" was a Biblical reference and not a call to arms for sovereign citizen morons?

I'm glad people enjoyed the LP, it was one of those things were I wanted to do it almost as soon as I finished the game, which was exactly the way I felt after beating TNO for the first time. I think that reflects really well on Machinegames and their products. The silenced pistols on the last boss, by the way, can't crank out enough damage to kill him and he'll still swing at you if you shoot him in the mouth like another poster mentioned.

I'm hoping to find the time to record the letters at some point before this weekend and have them up before Monday, but don't quote me on that, I had to struggle to find time to post the video because this week is kind of crazy for me. That said, I'm also probably taking some serious time between now and when I start my next LP, mostly because I want to play MGSV and some other games in my backlog before committing to something else. In the meantime you could always look into these LPs:

Subponticate Poster's Dragon Age: Inquisition
Tin Tim's Unreal: The Awakening
dscruffy1's Half Minute Hero II
Coolguye and LastRoboKy playing Dishonored
DoctorStrangelove is struggling to find meaning in life by playing Daikatana
Genocyber's somewhat slow Bloodborne

These LPs and more are keeping me occupied for the time being, I'm also being amazed by a slowly more uncoordinated Canadian playing Metal Gear games, but mostly because I thought Canadians had better alcohol tolerance. THAT'S RIGHT, DANARU, COME FIGHT ME IN THE LPFWA!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The collected letters of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood are finally here.

One of the things I thought was interesting about the slate of letters in The Old Blood was the amount of them that dealt with King Otto's hand in the creation of the last boss. If nothing else it gives you an idea of the hints Helga had for what she would find in Wulfberg and how it still left her utterly unprepared for what was there. That aside, these are also not, as a whole, as long as the letters in TNO. I can't really offer an explanation for this besides the obvious: people haven't had to live under the Nazis for as long as they would have in TNO. By the time TNO really kicks off the Nazis would have had been in power in Germany for nearly 30 years and a bit less in places you visit like Poland. By the time this game takes place they've been in power for about 13 years and some of the more brutal aspects of the regime only hit places like Wulfberg in the recent past, so some of the memories of good times are still fresh and haven't crystallized into the idyllic remembrances of better days and maybe more importantly, the pessimism that things will never improve that ran through much of the discovered correspondence in TNO hasn't set in for many of the characters writing these letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So it's long overdue, but I've gone ahead and requested this LP and the Shadow of Mordor LP get archived, which says a ton about my motivation to do so and my free time as of late. I'll probably be closing both threads by the end of the weekend, though I'm imagining that neither thread has a ton of active followers/traffic at this point so eh, it may be sooner than that.

• Locked thread