Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Should someone make a 17 thread or something?

They unlocked the rest of the game modes for all beta players.

UT impressions:

Weekend league is really cool. If you qualify for it, you are gonna get a ton of coins/packs even if you are a shitter. You get to play 40 games each weekend in the league and they don't have ties, they go into PKs like a tourney game. If you even win half of them, the rewards for 20 wins are like a jumbo players pack and a mega pack and 25k coins or something. It's really a lot of stuff. If you are a god at the game and win like 35+ you just straight up get a TOTW pack, I'm not sure if that's guaranteed to have like just one TOTW or what. The top few players get something called a "TOTW champions pack" which I wonder might mean it just straight up gives them the TOTW.

Injuries happen way too often in my opinion. Now if an injury happens, there seems to be about a 50% chance that it's serious enough that the player has to be subbed out immediately and the game stops. I've had this happen maybe once every other game, and nagging injuries happen on top of that. Right now I ended a game and I had 3 players injured that couldn't play in the next game.

It is REALLY hard to score this year, for me at least. I try to only take what I think are real high % shots (I hardly ever take long shots, etc) and I had games where I led in shots 18-2 or 13-3 and lost the game 0-1. So far the goalies are geniuses and I'm having a pretty hard time converting 1 on 1s with the keeper. I imagine a real life success rate in that scenario should be what, like 80%+? I think I've managed maybe 50, and I've tried both using the normal finesse shot to the near post, I've tried doing far post hard shots, etc. I could be having some bad luck but it really feels harder. Pro clubs isn't that bad, I'm not sure why. I've converted most of my chances there but in UT and head to head I had much worse success.

It also takes a hair longer for players to actually kick the ball, whether it's passing or shooting, and that also makes it way harder to score in the box because if you pass it to someone who can get a close shot off, there's that extra split second where they hang on to the ball and get tackled instead of shooting.

One big positive: It's now possible to do passes near the opponent's box without having to do a driven pass every time. For example, last year if you passed it parallel to the goal line at the edge of the box your guy would just stand there and the defense would rush out and intercept it 100% of the time unless you did a driven pass. You can actually do those passes again now, which is really good and it was hosed up last year that it didn't work at all.

I don't do a ton of skill moves so I can't comment on the higher levels, but fake shot seems to have gotten the body feint treatment, as in it's been nerfed pretty hard I believe. You don't really get the same instant level of control and momentum as you did last year. I will say the scoop turn still seems pretty good. Berba/McGeady spin still seems ok also. Haven't confirmed whether roulette is still the best move for someone running head on at you like it was before.

Overall if they can fix the scoring stuff and tone down the injuries I'm real happy with this year's game and I think I'll get a lot of fun out of Pro Clubs and Weekend League Ultimate Team.

Oh yeah, couple more things:

Pro clubs growth is incredibly fast, everyone is gonna be 99 overall in a month if they don't tune it down. Several players are mid 90s already after a week of the beta. Hopefully they adjust that.

AI defense in pro clubs also seems a good bit worse, I think teams that have a decent ANY are gonna be at somewhat of an advantage.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The pro clubs stat gain rates are probably boosted for the beta, wouldn't be an unusual thing to do.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Certainly hope so but honestly I don't take anything for granted with EA

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

I know jackshit about soccer but I bought 16 for $15 on Xbox One. If anyone wants to kick my rear end online PM me your gamer tag or something

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think I know why I find 17's head to head gameplay so frustrating so far:

It's too easy to pass it around and get into position of what looks like it should be a high % shot, but the score totals are realistic because once you get there it seems like you have a way lower chance of actually scoring. So instead of a tricky buildup that results in a nice goal after a bunch of good and challenging passing, you can pingpong it down the field again pretty easily and then just feel like you got robbed a lot when the shots don't go in as much as you think they should

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Don't worry much about it. On release the game will feel different and it'll change even more after patches. Fifa 16 changed a lot from release to its current state, maybe the one that changed the most compared to 13, 14 and 15.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
The beta gameplay is never the same as the full game as it's an old version

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hope so!

Like I said I think all the non gameplay stuff is cool so I hope the gameplay is good in the end

Everybody has the same stuck in the mud feel as they had in the 16 beta, hope that improves.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Initially they slow down the game so all the old timey reviewers will fawn over the realism and tactical gameplay but then they realize the player base just wants to dribble and do skill moves.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean I get that but that's not even what's going on here, the passing is super unrealistic and you can fire off 100 mph accurate passes all over the place even facing the opposite direction, it's way closer to 15 in that regard. I liked how in 16 you actually had to be facing the right way, even if the normal passes needed a bit more pace.

This plays more like ultimate frisbee where your dudes might as well be standing still but then they can basically pass to whoever and it'll probably get there. It's extremely hard to stop anyone in the midfield from getting to the edge of your box unless they are terrible or just make an accidental bonehead pass.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Bring back pace and headers. Aside from all the other problems this year's game was too slow. People who complained about pace ruining everything in 15 just sucked at defending.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I kind of enjoy all the poo poo the PES die hard fans throw every year to FIFA and say "this is the year". I just watched a couple of gameplay videos of PES 2017 and still has the same feel of the previous tittles. Robotic animations and the 100kg ball.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Guillermus posted:

I kind of enjoy all the poo poo the PES die hard fans throw every year to FIFA and say "this is the year". I just watched a couple of gameplay videos of PES 2017 and still has the same feel of the previous tittles. Robotic animations and the 100kg ball.

I downloaded the demo a few days ago and it still feels stuck hopelessly in the ps2 days. Like, even the "real" next gen version is so, so ugly during non 'cinematic' moments, and the game still plays like its from 2002 or something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hell, I still like to play ISS 1 and 2 on PS1 from time to time just for nostalgia, but in 2016 I'm not going to pay full price for an outdated game considering that FIFA, even with all its flaws beats it on everything and I'm not even bringing the licenses argument. PES2017 even lost La Liga and only has Atlético and Barcelona teams...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But who can forget the classic derby of NORTH LONDON vs MAN RED

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still own a copy of PES6 on my 360. It's a good game of course and playing it with other 3 friends with some beers is amazing but appart from some nostalgia and giggles, I wouldn't play a game like that all the time having modern fifa games.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
PES 5 and 6 were the best football games ever made

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I tried to manually unblock my specific FIFA 16 ports even though I have UPnP on to see if it would do anything. So far no difference, still very laggy and not finding very many games.

Is there anything I can do to specifically test if the port is open for the PS4?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

I still have my PES5 pc dvd and wolf's PES patch, great stuff indeed.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Hazard is 88 rated in fifa 17

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Seltzer posted:

Hazard is 88 rated in fifa 17

Yeah, FIFA has always done that. I bet Rooney is still mid to upper 80s too. It's loving dumb.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nah rooney didn't make the top 50 so he's gonna be 84 or lower. It's weird, EA is super hesitant to boost ratings heavily after big seasons or bring them down after poor seasons. It's like once you earn a rating you kind of float there until EA decides you're old and then you get massively downgraded even after a good season. I wish they would be more accurate in their ratings and punish/reward players accordingly. I'd have no problem with hazard being bumped down to like 84.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Seltzer posted:

Nah rooney didn't make the top 50 so he's gonna be 84 or lower. It's weird, EA is super hesitant to boost ratings heavily after big seasons or bring them down after poor seasons. It's like once you earn a rating you kind of float there until EA decides you're old and then you get massively downgraded even after a good season. I wish they would be more accurate in their ratings and punish/reward players accordingly. I'd have no problem with hazard being bumped down to like 84.

Well that's the point of weekly rating updates anyway too, and I think overall at the end of the season they usually try to average it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

That, or they're leaving space to sell IFs. gently caress FUT

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

I made a thread for PES 2017 if anyone wants to talk about PES :toot:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788507

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah one thing I forgot to complain about in 17 which isn't gonna be a deal breaker for anyone but is just one of those "why is this still a problem" things -- the loving UT menus in 17 are still laggy and slow as hell and like I know it's a small absolute amount of time but it just feels so painful to even go into the menu and apply contracts and poo poo. The animations and like transitions from menu to menu just still take way too long and it's really disappointing that it's probably never gonna change at all

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Fifa 17 demo out. Early days but it plays quite well. Biggest pluses for me are that players can actually receive passes now instead of stumbling around like a retard, you can do threaded through balls that the goalkeeper doesn't automatically swallow them up and big men have an advantage over smaller ones in that you can bring the ball down with your chest now instead of having an aerial battle every time

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I used to genuinely love playing Fifa, but every year now the game becomes more "realistic" and less arcadey. I enjoy the game less and less every year, and after playing the 17 demo I think this will be the first time in 8+ years I wont be buying the game.

:(

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

RCarr posted:

I used to genuinely love playing Fifa, but every year now the game becomes more "realistic" and less arcadey. I enjoy the game less and less every year, and after playing the 17 demo I think this will be the first time in 8+ years I wont be buying the game.

Go play FIFA Street then, good riddance I say!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just miss being able to play casually without memorizing endless amounts of different pass/shot/dribbling/etc button combos.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

I just miss being able to play casually without memorizing endless amounts of different pass/shot/dribbling/etc button combos.

Being a button-knower is a feeling like no other. Pissflaps would disagree.

I downloaded Sensible World of Soccer recently and it was hella difficult and I did not understand it at all. I want to, though. I have a feeling the analog stick isn't helping.

The problem is, I've seen video of the game being played properly and it looks really fun. Anyone in here big on that game?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

Did we play different demos? The demo felt quicker and more fluid than 16. Not to mention no mind reading interceptions and psychic keepers.

RCarr posted:

The main buttons that will allow you to win D1 have remained unchanged since at least fifa 13. Aside from the driven pass (which has been nerfed and is no longer necessary in 17) the only difference are some new ineffective skill moves. I don't know how you could call a game like this difficult to learn at all. Shoot, pass, throughball, cross is literally all you need to be good on offense. From there you can add things like chipped shots and ball rolls which, again, aren't that difficult to get down. I got to D 1 in fifa 13 with 0 skill moves and no knowledge of lobbed through balls or finesse shots because it was the first edition I owned in awhile.

e- bummer if balo and totti are in totw 53 instead of totw 1

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is L1 still that loving idiotic off-ball dancing?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RCarr posted:

To play against like 90% of people you don't need to know anything special, especially since the driven pass seems to have been nerfed

Just play the game it is fun and good

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just don't find FIFA 16, or the new demo fun. I can pop in Fifa 13 and have a blast though. I guess I can just play my friends in that and save some money :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RCarr posted:

Is not like you need more button combos than let's say Fifa 13 or previous ones. They added the RB+short pass combo but other than that, you don't need to be doing skill dribbles all the way to score. Finesse shooting is there from when, Fifa 09? The biggest change was tactical defending wich at least removed the "just press 1 button for homing tackle". Hell, PES added way more button combos and skill dribbling makes no sense there and playing Fifa every year is more than enough to learn some new stuff every new game.

Nothing stops you (like I do sometimes) to boot PES 6 and play some arcade but fun matches.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is L1 still that loving idiotic off-ball dancing?

Yes. It has little to no value against the CPU opponents, but I could see it being viable online.

I had a chance to play the demo some after work last night and feel like most of my assessment from 15' to 16' rings true with 16' to 17'. The graphics have been noticeably polished and off the ball animations are alarmingly realistic to me. One of the hardest things to adjust to is that passing the ball requires way more timing and forethought than abusing the driven pass in 16'. Players don't snub their noses to the laws of anatomical limits and physics when you command a pass from a defender who is facing the opposite direction, but still managed to put the ball at the feet of the sprinting wing back in 16'. That whole experience felt ill contrived and "cheap" because their simply wasn't any merit in playing the ball back towards your keeper and starting play from there most of the time. As a whole, I feel like the strategy of, "Get ball to pacey winger, roulette, pace, pace, pace, fake shot/carve turn, GOAL!" is completely removed. This is a good change and the end result requires a more measured approach to build up play. Through balls are now a matter of correct timing and identifying when your opposition is holding a high line. Threading a pass to a well timed run of Ronaldo or Bale, when the back line has been caught too flat, results in the deserved 1 on 1 that you would expect to happen in real matches. Ultimately each player feels somewhat limited in their ability and more dependent on build up play, except for Zlatan, who has the ability to clear out defenders as if they were made of parchment paper and constantly times his runs perfectly. All of this is to say nothing of the "new"? stamina system, which really limits the R2 abuse that has been a pox on the game for years now. Ultimately I feel like Strength and Stamina may become favorable stats again this year when FUT goes live.

TL:DR I feel 17' may finally reward people who enjoy a pragmatic path to creating chances and not the "SKILL SKILL SKILL SKILL CARVE TURN GOAL" garbage that plagued 16' where you saw the front 3 of Neymar, Ronnie, Messi buoyed by a mid-field of Suarez, Bale, and Griezmann.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
why is anyone making generalizations about the gameplay based on this demo, y'all should know better by now. The demo is a 6 month or so old build and the retail game will play basically completely differently.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Side-by-side comparison of the FIFA 16 and the FIFA 17 demos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWusTxN5JWg

I'm not exactly blown away, guess at the end of the day it still needs to run well on a toaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Reminder that FIFA 16 had an "entirely new" gameplay feature that was advertised explicitly before the release that wasn't actually in the game or otherwise is entirely unnoticeable.

As far as I can tell you can't actually fake tackle in 16, do you think it'll make it to 17? Was there ever any point in such a feature?

• Locked thread