Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Wait a min, you hasn't this MMOPEGER been launched in like 2011 and has been poo poo? Good observation nerd! This game was originally launched forever ago, and it was pretty poo poo back then. However, considerable improvements have been made since then. The biggest was them creating a new client so people can actually run the loving game. It still looks like arse, but now it looks like arse at a silky smooth 60 fps. The game has also been recently launched on Steam, which gave the game community a much needed breath of life making now a perfect time for it to be overran and destroyed by goons.

So what the gently caress is this game?
-Ultima Online Style Progressions: Use skill, gain points in skill. You have a limited amount of points per character, so don't bother making a jack-of-all-trades. Instead you are expected to have different alts doing different poo poo. Full loot and poo poo too. The way races in this game work is that you basically choose your family tree up to your grandparents, and that determines your base appearance and max stats (which in turn limit your max skill stats). This also means that you generally grind up to max level in under a day.
-First person combat/gameplay: Game is always in first person view (if you wanna piss people off, ask how to turn on 3rd person in help chat). Game is kind of like of like Mount and Blade + Spell casting.
-Unlimited trolling potential: You can run in front of a guy's sword, get them to hit you, and proceed to eviscerate them, or watch them get guardwhacked. You can pickpocket nerds and steal their gold. You can reverse pickpocket nerds, and plant stolen items on them, and watch the guard whack 'em when they walk past. You can tame a piglet, leave it in among a bunch of other untamed piglets, and let some inattentive nerd run up to them and start smacking them until they hit your pig by accident and proceed to murder them. The only limit to harvesting the filthy pubbie filth's tears in this game, is your imagination.
-Non-instanced player/guild housing. Self explanatory.
-Unique Crafting System: So crafting in this game is immensely complex. Whether it's alchemy, armor crafting, etc., it boils down to: each weapon you make has unique stats based on the type of materials used in it's creation. So for example, a bow will have different str requirements, damage, etc., based on what kind of wood was used for the back, the belly, the style of the bow, etc. This causes a lot of recipes to become close guarded secrets, with guilds that have access to high level healing potions kind of dominate the PvP scene for a while. Even your house's stats are based entirely on the materials used to craft it.
-SO MUCH loving EXPLORATION: So partially due to the nature of the crafting system. Very little of this game is actually documented. Alchemy, high-level magic, secret vendors, secret skills, secret npcs, etc. Are all hidden and can only really be found through exploration, since sharing this information rarely has any benefit to yourself. There is also no fast travel between the cities and each bank is local. Each city is also has it's own unique vendors.
-Tame and Dominate beasts. Get little pets to follow you around. Taming is pretty much for docile beats, and dominating is the magical variation for hostile beasts.
- Kill your nemesis. Eat their head. Make a heavy robe out of their skin. Yes, it can be done.

Some things to note about this game:
- Steam launch causes log in issues sometimes because their server are getting assfucked.
- So the free-to-play isn't actually free to play. It's more like an unlimited trial. Subscribing which is like $13/m, gains you access to housing, thievery skills, and other random poo poo. The biggest reason to subscribe, is that as a free player all your skills have a max effective level of 60, which means until you cough up the dough, you will never be able to do top level PvPenis or crafting.
- Don't use Dx11 mode.
- Servers are in France, but the connection is suprisingly good. I live in cali and have ~16ms ping. Use /fps to see your fps/ping.
- Community is super autistic, which means plenty of tears all around.

Gooonie FAQ:

What town should I start in?
Tindrem and Morin Khur. They both have bare-bones tutorials to get you started which are frankly worthless, but at the end of the tutorials you get to choose an archtype which gives you a bunch of skills, items, and a skill book to get you started. I'm also camping out in MK at the moment.

How do books work?
Right click a book to start reading it. It will take X IRL hours to finish, sometimes days (counts when offline). To stop reading a book so you may start reading another, press Z and right click on the book icon at the bottom right part of your screen. This kills the book.

How the gently caress does this flagging system work?
Yellow = Fledgling, lasts 2 hours. People can't do poo poo to you, you can't do poo poo to them.
Blue = Innocent. Attacking, killing, or looting from an innocent's corpse makes you grey.
Grey = Criminal. Guards will whack you on sight. Other players can attack you with no re-precautions. Lasts 2-5 mins after last criminal action I believe? Then turns Blue-Grey.
Blue-Grey = Hidden-Criminal. You appear Blue, but if another player pushes and/or attacks you, you turn grey. You also gain this status when you snoop in someone's pockets, and/or succeed a pickpocket attempt. Lasts 2 mins.
Red = Murderer. If you murder count is 5 or high you go red, which is pretty much like being grey, except it lasts until your murder count drops down to zero, which takes 8 hours per murder count.

Also note that most priests will not resurrect any non blue/yellow player.

What the gently caress is this graveyard/GY I keep on hearing about?
Located in all major cities it's basically mining in EVE. Skeletons spawn, you whack them, get their skulls, get bounty for their skulls. Incredibly dull and boring, and is filled with people trying to get you to hit them by accident, or random reds just patrolling around the area waiting for someone to get out of guard range. I recommend skipping this, and going exploring instead.

Dong physics?
ESC -> Preference -> Full nudity.

Is there a map for this poo poo?
Not in-game. Use this however.

How do I deal with pickpockets?
Be weary of any fast moving naked people running towards you. If they tried snooping you, take out your weapons, hold right mouse button, and left click. This will push them, and reveal them as grey which allows you to skullfuck them. Otherwise keep items in large stacks, it's a lot harder to pickpocket heavy items and large stacks. Also higher int makes it easier to spot snooping attempts.

Where can I play this horrible game?
http://www.mortalonline.com/ or search for it on steam.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

RESERVING POST FOR GOON GUIDES

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
I downloaded this on steam today and for some reason the servers arent letting people in. This has been going on all day now. :(

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

This is the king of bad games, but also the closest thing to "The Next UO" currently going and most likely to come.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Probably because the other option is a single player game, the other one is a lovely mobile game, and neither of them are finished.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i had the first thread on SA for this game it was really bad then and probably bad now and i dont think ill be playing it

thats my story

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I re-subbed for the steam launch and have set my self up here:

I got my tamer, bow and armor crafters down their too if you guys want to try and throw a guild together. Sarducca still has a ton of prime land up for grabs.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

i had the first thread on SA for this game it was really bad then and probably bad now and i dont think ill be playing it

thats my story

Cool story bro.

It is actually still bad, but it's less bad than most other things.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

GMs are carebears have and have recently placed additional lictors in GY. Which means blue blocking (standing infront of people swings so they hit you and go grey) is super profitable cause it gets people insta-gibbed by the lictors.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It's a shame this game's vision will never be fully realized due to a lack of community/financial backing. The management behind this is Adventurine/Darkfall levels of bad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's a shame this game's vision will never be fully realized due to a lack of community/financial backing. The management behind this is Adventurine/Darkfall levels of bad.

well it could have had a community except for the fact that it was pure unadulterated rear end for literally years after release

apparently according to OP its slightly less rear end, but that is a lot of time and community goodwill gone

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
i played this when it first came out and it was awful. afterwards i made a solemn vow to never kickstart a game

is the current version better than the new H&H ? http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 8, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can you still make people crash by dismounting while a player is looking at you

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
What kind of sorcery do you practice to get 16ms ping fom cali to france?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Pigbottom posted:

What kind of sorcery do you practice to get 16ms ping fom cali to france?

Not sure, I was surprised as any one. While I do run a 150 mbs connection, I would assume it has something to do with both my apartment and their servers being really close to the main line, but frankly my network architecture knowledge only really extends to local systems.

That or their tool is lying. However, I have not experienced any lag related issues so I don't think that's the case.

Eonwe posted:

Can you still make people crash by dismounting while a player is looking at you

No, they created a few client that's significantly less poo poo. The only crashes I experience are at log out, at which point w/e.

Jackard posted:

is the current version better than the new H&H ? http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/

Every MMO is better than H&H because it's not being developed by jobtar.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 8, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Ha ha okay, that's true

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

SweetBro posted:

Not sure, I was surprised as any one. While I do run a 150 mbs connection, I would assume it has something to do with both my apartment and their servers being really close to the main line, but frankly my network architecture knowledge only really extends to local systems.

That or their tool is lying. However, I have not experienced any lag related issues so I don't think that's the case.

Well, if its showing the real ping, that`s really cool.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
OP what is the status of the :siren: TERROR BIRD :siren: it was patched in and out several times in the past and its important to my gameplay experience.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 8, 2015

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Zasze posted:

OP what is the status of the :siren: TERROR BIRD :siren: it was patched in and out several times in the patch and its important to my gameplay experience.

Still in iirc, and still annoying as gently caress.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I come back to mortal for month or two every year. It's my guilty pleasure mmo . The things it does right you can't really get in other mmo's. Unfortunately the things it did/does wrong made it a total and complete poo poo show for the majority of its life.

A few years ago something lit a fire under the devs asses and they started patching every few weeks and listening to community feedback. To their credit they have made a whole hearted effort to fix the game's issues and have for the most part been successful in correcting the stuff that made it suck so hard at launch.

That being said, they are still capable of making some pretty bush league mistakes (ie: pushing the new continent out for steam launch but completely forgoing any server upgrades). It would be unrealistic to say it will ever be somthing other than a janky rear end indie mmo. At this point though it's a completely playable and enjoyable janky rear end indie mmo.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The game just launched in a weird way in a weird time where that kind of real time combat wasn't viable in a massively multiplayer online authoritative setting.

Remember, this game came out around the time that Age of Conan did in 2008 (well, at least the closed beta did).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone have any tips for someone starting out on this game (other than "don't play it")? Like good starting skills for a first time player, or how to get basic gear?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dont play it

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

xZAOx posted:

Anyone have any tips for someone starting out on this game (other than "don't play it")? Like good starting skills for a first time player, or how to get basic gear?

You want 3 characters for several reason. The first one is that books read in real time (think EVE skill que) however each ticks down for each character separately, most skills are best leveled via books.

A gathering character is good for passive income even if you're not crafting. If you are crafting, then it's even more important as resources can end up costing a gently caress-ton. Start off with Slag-Hauler archtype. Talk to Gathering Tutor and Learn woodcrafting. Chop up some Spoogewood to get your basic Dendrology up. Wood is pretty much required for all weapons/tools. For gather you want STR/CON, Int if you wanna craft as well. This character can typically transfer well into a foot soldier once you become rich and no longer need to gather poo poo.

For your combat character you always want STR. Now if you're doing melee poo poo, you also want CON, and a bit of Dex. If you're doing any ranged build you want Dex over Con. If you want to do thieving stuff or relieve your mongol khan archer fantasies, you also want Int.

Magic is complex and expensive. Avoid this while you're new.

Most combat skills will level up as you hit skeletons/people. Don't worry about that. Pick a weapon and stick with it. Lock and reduce any primary skills you don't intend on using with the character.

Most gear is player crafted. You can make them out of any skin like object, including player skin. Metal poo poo is a lot more complex to make, check the forums for guides. You'll need a dedicated crafting character, and a subscription if you want to be competitive. You can also get decent weapons and combat skill books by giving zombie heads to one of the guys that says "Hey X, wanna make some money?". Note, that when you turn in zombie heads they will offer you silver. If you want a weapon they have, DO NOT TAKE THE SILVER, instead select the item you want from them and ensure that it's value < value of heads. Some Merchants in this game are not interested in money, and will only take specific objects. In this case, zombie heads.

Remember this is a full loot game so don't carry anything you're not prepped to lose.

Also you will notice your max stats slowly depleting after a few deaths. These can be offset by using the rest action. You regen faster at a campfire. You may not rest if your hunger is too high. You may eat pretty much anything, but most things will get you food poising. Look for trees that look like they have fruit on them, run up to the base, and use the gather action to get food that won't poison you.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

xZAOx posted:

Sure:

I'm not sure what the character limits are on free accounts but if you have an extra slot start training a butcher asap.

Having a dedicated butcher that can waste points on all the necessary lore skills is invaluable as the parts can sell to the general merchant for up to 5+ gold per 10k carcass on stronger creatures. You can also start armor crafting on the butcher since animal parts can be used to make some pretty nice armor and he has all the lore skills for it from butchering.

Once skilled up you now have a guaranteed method of getting cash and armor.

some basic tips for best butchering:

• You can mail things between your character so use that.
  • Dont hit take all with 300,000 pounds of carcass in your inbox.
  • Find a town that has a good proximity to mobs and the butcher table isn't far from the mail carrier.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 9, 2015

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Eonwe posted:

dont play it

Best advice possible. This is a 5 year old game. Seriously.
The shenanigans of the developers have been LEGENDARY...
Off the top of my head, I believe they are the only development team to ever literally blame a volcano for their issues.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gaul kor owned because people would go there and try to mine and we'd kill them and they wouldn't know that the way you do anything in gaul kor is to glich into the side of the mountain and turn on a script to mine and just have your buddies come by and take all the stone off of you

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Going to download and try out this piece of garbage. MK is the place to be?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

blueberrysmith posted:

Sounds like all the main cities are cluster fucks right now outside of sarducca. Baki was always my starting town of choice and is pretty central to everything.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

blueberrysmith posted:

This is the worst game ever with Everquest level graphics and UI.

But I've been having fun for the last hour taming pigs and sending them to the starting area where people attack them accidentally then immediately get guard killed. loving hilarious game. Also, running in front of people while they swing ("blueblocking") causes them to immediately get guard ganked. And people get REAL MAD when that happens.

I just bought a book and learned "pork lore". Then I finally figured out how to make a human-skin helmet. GOTY 2015. Seriously, this is actually more fun than Wildstar or FF14.

Edit: OK, maybe the only nice thing I can say about this game is that it didn't install a keylogger

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 10, 2015

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Thursday Next posted:

Edit: OK, maybe the only nice thing I can say about this game is that it didn't install a keylogger
Please elaborate on your tears.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I made a thread for Gloria Victis and it seems to be much more in line with what a lot of people are expecting Mortal Online to be. Don't get me wrong, I play MO to gently caress around and PVP too, but I think you'd have a more pleasant and refined experience with a game that does it better.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I will anyways.

Call me when the game is even remotely finished and the servers can handle more than 200 people.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

SweetBro posted:

?

I don't have any. I seriously had a lot of fun clowning around in this game. It's a horrible mess of polygons from the mid 90s but drat if I didn't enjoy myself. Like, it has no redeeming features whatsoever and I can't recommend it to anyone but I wasn't kidding that I legit had more fun taming pigs, running around naked, and getting pk'ed for a couple of hours tonight than I did playing ff14. I don't like hand holding in online games, apparently.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 10, 2015

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Thursday Next posted:

?

I don't have any. I seriously had a lot of fun clowning around in this game. It's a horrible mess of polygons from the mid 90s but drat if I didn't enjoy myself. Like, it has no redeeming features whatsoever and I can't recommend it to anyone but I wasn't kidding that I legit had more fun taming pigs, running around naked, and getting pk'ed for a couple of hours tonight than I did playing ff14. I don't like hand holding in online games, apparently.

Blocking a full plate try hard mounted combat pk with an army of piglets is an unparralled gaming experience.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
For some reason I expected the landscape to be better than gamebryo. I logged in and immediately realized this would be a terrible game. Still, I gave it a couple hours. I'm going to log in one more time to see what lies over these mountains, and then I'm uninstalling. The landscape has no depth at all aside from primitive height-maps. Also it is very empty of animals or monsters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SweetBro posted:

SweetBro posted:

Call me when the game is even remotely finished and the servers can handle more than 200 people.

You are being passive aggressive about an insanely bad game

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

You are being passive aggressive about an insanely bad game

There is nothing passive about my aggression. I'm being actively aggressive about an insanely bad game.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

SweetBro posted:

There is nothing passive about my aggression. I'm being actively aggressive about an insanely bad game.

Also this game does alot of things right. It just does them poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats fair

• Locked thread