Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Fascinating and depressing thread...

Fun factoid: dexter (right hand) and sinister (left hand) are terms used in heraldry ( :hist101: ) and formerly in art history to discuss positions of elements. So yes, lefties are sinister freaks. But we love them. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_and_sinister

This is the point when goon lefties start blubbing about how they an minority oppressed minority. :rant:

Which leads to my favourite (probably made-up) word: ambisinister, or incompetent with both hands.

e: ambisinitrous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Jeherrin posted:

Which leads to my favourite (probably made-up) word: ambisinister, or incompetent with both hands.

e: ambisinitrous?

Also known as having "two left hands" / Being clumsy?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I dunno, as far as peppers go ZeeToo's parents sound comparatively benign. They don't seem to be blowing everything on a backyard apocalypse shelter, so if (when) nothing ends up happening, they've got years of camping supplies and a farm to retire to.

I'd want them to buy a gun safe, but from what we've seen, this feels more like a really weird hobby than something that will wind up destroying anyone's life.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 9, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

[ASK] me about what relative directions are in romance languages, probably, I think

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Also is this kid meant to be a sympathetic character or otherwise someone the student should identify with? Cause he mostly just makes me want to punch him in the nose.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

stubblyhead posted:

Also is this kid meant to be a sympathetic character or otherwise someone the student should identify with? Cause he mostly just makes me want to punch him in the nose.

Yes, he is. There's a stable roster in these comics, and the comics show up intermittently in all the books from the very earliest up through as far up as I ever saw. I think that guy... might actually be named Ace? One of them is Ace, and (naturally) he's the kid you should most emulate. There's also a fast guy named Racer, but I've thankfully forgotten most of the other names.

Keeshhound posted:

I dunno, as far as peppers go ZeeToo's parents sound comparatively benign. They don't seem to be blowing everything on a backyard apocalypse shelter, so if (when) nothing ends up happening, they've got years of camping supplies and a farm to retire to.

I'd want them to buy a gun safe, but from what we've seen, this feels more like a really weird hobby than something that will wind up destroying anyone's life.

This is pretty accurate. It informs and shapes a fair amount of life, but it's not something that's making them (or me) unable to function or utterly broke.

I'm not sure I'm anxious to see how well cornmeal held up to two (and counting--this isn't being cycled through) years of storage, though, so I suspect there's a certain time limit on some of these.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Fun factoid: dexter (right hand) and sinister (left hand) are terms used in heraldry ( :hist101: ) and formerly in art history to discuss positions of elements. So yes, lefties are sinister freaks. But we love them. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_and_sinister

This is the point when goon lefties start blubbing about how they an minority oppressed minority. :rant:

And this is exactly want siniestro (they mispelled it) and diestra are in Spanish, contrary to what ACE believes

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
Do they have two way radios and a stock pile of batteries or solar chargers or anything? What do they take camping with them? And are they really just practicing for the eventual collapse of civilization or do they actually just like camping?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It sounds like somebody spooked them a while back and they've been spinning off into their own little world ever since. You should see if you can get em to open up a little more about it, there's clearly nobody reinforcing them or telling them what to do (or that they should keep it a big secret) they're just making this poo poo up as they go along. It's very possible they're not even really thinking directly about it, like they started hoarding survival gear at some point and that just became a self-reinforcing habit without a step 2

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Interesting thread. I'm also kind of curious about your parents' means of utilizing all those jugs full of only-edible-if-prepared-and-cooked foodstuffs, especially the flour. It's one thing to place your can of soup on a hot rock next to the fire to warm it up or skewer your freshly caught rabbit on a random stick, but how would they make bread or do whatever with all that flour? Do they have an assortment of cast iron cookware that includes a Dutch oven?

If I were them, I'd be sure to install one of these at the farm:

Because any other stove is going to be useless after the electricity/gas/propane gets cut off/runs out. Also, that thing will do a really good job at keeping the place warm during winter nights.

On the issue of water, you mentioned a well, have they gotten around to that yet? And have/will they install a solar/wind-powered pump and a water tank?

I guess what I'm wondering is whether their prepping is for a temporary/brief existence in a post-civilization collapse period or a permanent/indefinitely long period? I always imagine the latter scenario, so whenever I think about prepping (or building myself a historically accurate homesteader cottage in the middle of nowhere to serve as a peaceful getaway from an increasingly connected and hectic world), I think about how I'd sustain myself long term without relying on any trappings of modern life/infrastructure. I'm not a prepper myself in any way, nor do I believe in the imminent collapse of civilization, but it's fun to think about the "what if"s sometimes. Based on my own experience with ranching and occasional rustic country living, my hypothetical prepper wishlist is basically everything I'd need to create an Amish paradise and not find myself up poo poo creek when my finite stockpile of canned food and gasoline runs out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ZeeToo posted:

This is certainly the case. Half of the "Obama is destroying America!" crowd are liberals, recall, and beyond that my dad's mildly a goldbug (although he admits he doesn't think we'll ever go back to gold-backed currency, despite its superiority), and we've got a couple shelves of books by Hal Lindsey and his ilk (Titles like "88 reasons Why The Rapture Will Be in 1988" and "Planet Earth: 2000 A.D., Will Mankind survive?" (from $0.01 for hardcover on Amazon!)), including most recently Jonathan Cahn's "Mystery of the Shemitah" and... whatever other book he's put out. I can't be assed to keep up.

It's the thing that's most upsetting to me. These guys may believe that the world is ending, or they may not, but they're still profiting off the paranoia that they are directly causing. They are doing real harm to some people and they just don't care. It seems your parents are in the "Just in case" mode, and not doing anything like taking pot shots at the mailman or killing the dog to spare them from the end of society.

ZeeToo posted:

Yes, he is. There's a stable roster in these comics, and the comics show up intermittently in all the books from the very earliest up through as far up as I ever saw. I think that guy... might actually be named Ace? One of them is Ace, and (naturally) he's the kid you should most emulate. There's also a fast guy named Racer, but I've thankfully forgotten most of the other names.

I remember seeing this ages ago, maybe on SA, or somewhere else, and yea, all the kids are these morally upright kids who always have an answer for everything that pretty much "its gods will/in the bible" for any all questions.
A few friends of mine grew up in super religious households and all ended up being gay/bi and pretty athiest, and they say they don't want to have anything to do with religion because of the attempts at brainwashing they had as a kid.

As for living a simple life, I could deal without electricity, but running water is a must have. I read how people pooped in the past, and I don't want to ever have to experience that on a long term basis.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

I was encouraged to read "The Virtue of Selfishness" and "The Road to Serfdom", but...

...?

Might I ask where these items got introduced to you via the relative realm of American religion? Because they're not terribly religious texts in and of themselves, so where exactly do they fit in to this picture?

Griz
May 21, 2001

are they actually using any of this stuff or are they just going to let it sit there until the flour goes rancid, the dried vegetables lose all their vitamins, and the sugar turns into a rock-solid lump?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Griz posted:

are they actually using any of this stuff or are they just going to let it sit there until the flour goes rancid, the dried vegetables lose all their vitamins, and the sugar turns into a rock-solid lump?

Given their gun "security" system and the total lack of organization of the supplies they've purchased I'd have to think that no, they haven't thought that far.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ZeeToo posted:

I'm not sure I'm anxious to see how well cornmeal held up to two (and counting--this isn't being cycled through) years of storage, though, so I suspect there's a certain time limit on some of these.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Morroque posted:

...?

Might I ask where these items got introduced to you via the relative realm of American religion? Because they're not terribly religious texts in and of themselves, so where exactly do they fit in to this picture?

There's a certain brand of American Christian for whom "Godly" and "politically conservative" are synonymous. Understanding this may give you a little more insight into why US politics are as hosed up as they are.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

King Metal posted:

Do they have two way radios and a stock pile of batteries or solar chargers or anything? What do they take camping with them? And are they really just practicing for the eventual collapse of civilization or do they actually just like camping?

No radios and... both. They have a seemingly infinite ability to enjoy camping, but, yes, the world is really going to end. It's ending and the only questions are details.

As far as what they take camping, it's a basic tent/bags/prepackaged food sort of setup. Not exactly roughing it, but it's not a camper sort of situation, either; other calls on their time/money are all that keep them from doing this for very lengthy periods. So far, that has been at least up to two weeks at some stretches. I'm sorry if I'm a little vague, and this is one point where I'm going to sound more than actively crazy, but I cannot stand my parents' camping stories. Twenty minute litanies of every quail and small mammal they saw, complete with time and closest approach. They literally keep a log of these, although the log is only totals so you have to talk to them while it's still fresh to hear just how close that cottontail got.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It sounds like somebody spooked them a while back and they've been spinning off into their own little world ever since. You should see if you can get em to open up a little more about it, there's clearly nobody reinforcing them or telling them what to do (or that they should keep it a big secret) they're just making this poo poo up as they go along. It's very possible they're not even really thinking directly about it, like they started hoarding survival gear at some point and that just became a self-reinforcing habit without a step 2

I do appreciate the concern, first of all. You could very well be right, and I have and will continue to try to keep things positive between us; there was a point where we were much further apart. I've just mostly tried to treat this as something funny for purposes of this thread, but for real we're all family and do care for and try to be decent to each other despite different paradigms. It's just... well, funny to me. My parents stuffed my old bedroom with dry goods and water when I moved out of the house.

Authentic You posted:

On the issue of water, you mentioned a well, have they gotten around to that yet? And have/will they install a solar/wind-powered pump and a water tank?

The well is still a pipe dream. :downsrim:

I wouldn't expect electricity up at the farm, or whatever term I should use for their wilderness land.

As far as timeframe... assuming it's all keeping as nicely as possible, I think what's stored could probably serve a couple months without a good water supply, and rather a while with one. Hard to be really precise. I don't know how long the expected timeframe is; in theory eventually they'll grow their own food at the farm. Right now that's not plausible. We do have cast iron cookware, but I'm not sure how all they cook things while roughing it.

Morroque posted:

...?

Yeah, that was not religious, it was political/economic. Like "these people have real insight into how societies function in areas where the Bible is silent". I can't give you any more spirited defense or harmonization of them than you could find by googling for Christian Objectivists or something. Non-Christians are selfish and greedy and act terribly, we as Christians can do better, but it can help to understand people.

Griz posted:

I've yet to see any food get cycled out of there. I don't hold much hope for it.

e: Actually, let me add one extra story about how my dad treats stored food. Once, when I had the urge to eat something sweet, I went through the cabinet and found a tub of frosting. I asked if he minded if I made something with it. He said no, don't, he had plans to use it for something special. I looked more closely, and realized it had expired three years previously. This isn't entirely isolated, but it is one of the worst and the one I remember best.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 10, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It was probably fine. Those things are just guidelines really.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Who drinks that much bottled water by the gallon in the first place?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

photomikey posted:

Why would you buy that many packs of individual bottles rather than getting 20L containers and filling them from the tap?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tap water isn't sterile.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Authentic You posted:

I guess what I'm wondering is whether their prepping is for a temporary/brief existence in a post-civilization collapse period or a permanent/indefinitely long period? I always imagine the latter scenario, so whenever I think about prepping (or building myself a historically accurate homesteader cottage in the middle of nowhere to serve as a peaceful getaway from an increasingly connected and hectic world), I think about how I'd sustain myself long term without relying on any trappings of modern life/infrastructure. I'm not a prepper myself in any way, nor do I believe in the imminent collapse of civilization, but it's fun to think about the "what if"s sometimes. Based on my own experience with ranching and occasional rustic country living, my hypothetical prepper wishlist is basically everything I'd need to create an Amish paradise and not find myself up poo poo creek when my finite stockpile of canned food and gasoline runs out.

lol don't worry about any scenarios involving a total collapse of civilization for more than a couple months because those scenarios also involve a total lack of surviving humans, anywhere

that's a nice lookin stove tho

photomikey posted:

people with money/people in Appalachia

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 10, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

The Lone Badger posted:

Why would you buy that many packs of individual bottles rather than getting 20L containers and filling them from the tap?

You might do it if you hated the taste of tap water locally.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Aquatabs would be cheaper, easier to store, and more portable. Also, they're good to have on hand in case of an emergency anyway.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 10, 2015

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

peanut posted:

Tap water isn't sterile.

Neither is bottled water.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Aquatabs would be cheaper, easier to store, and more portable. Also, they're good to have on hand in case of an emergency anyway.

Won't do anything for you if the poo poo in the water that'll make you sick isn't alive.

also this thread isn't exactly showcasing optimal camping loadouts

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 10, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Won't do anything for you if the poo poo in the water that'll make you sick isn't alive.

also this thread isn't exactly showcasing optimal camping loadouts

Ok, but you can also filter water with sand and a sock.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ahahaha

chef
Nov 18, 2001
What do/did your parents do for a living? Still working?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I was referring to the empty gallon bottles that are now re-filled with flour and the like. I understand drinking from bottles when there is no tap water, i.e. in the end days, but why would you buy water by the single gallon when there is still society? If you're not into tap water, why not a 5gal water cooler like the rest of the world?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

photomikey posted:

I was referring to the empty gallon bottles that are now re-filled with flour and the like. I understand drinking from bottles when there is no tap water, i.e. in the end days, but why would you buy water by the single gallon when there is still society? If you're not into tap water, why not a 5gal water cooler like the rest of the world?

It's abundantly clear that the OP's parents don't really know what they're doing, so it shouldn't be *that* surprising.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

photomikey posted:

then you don't get your handy flour-and-weevil container afterward. it's not really all that weird a thing though, presumably there's a reason why most drug and grocery stores have an entire fucken aisle dedicated to bottled water now

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 10, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

chef posted:

What do/did your parents do for a living? Still working?

Dad's a pastor, still. Mother is an accountant.

photomikey posted:

Whoa, hey. Those are not gallon bottles. The guy who said he was an Arrowhead rep earlier may not have been legit when he was offering me a coupon, either, because he didn't PM me because he didn't recognize that they are, in fact, three liter bottles, not gallon bottles.

As for why specifically these, I'd guess they're comparatively cheap by some metric.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What sorta stuff do your parents think about Obama/Democrats then?

Also given how insanely far right they are, what do they think of the Republicans? The Tea Party?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ShadowCatboy posted:

What sorta stuff do your parents think about Obama/Democrats then?

Also given how insanely far right they are, what do they think of the Republicans? The Tea Party?

"Obama hates America. He hates it." - My mom, literally every week for several months, but some time ago. I haven't heard this exact phrasing as much in the last few months. Democrats are either oligarchs intent on ruining business or their foolish proxies. They're out to punish success and make things worse for the common man by attacking successful people (thus ruining things before they can trickle down), or they're deluded by those who are. Anti-business, anti-industry, anti-god. Uniformly terrible people.

Republicans are the lesser of two evils. I know they donated at least something to Mitt Romney in 2012, but I'm not sure if that was primary-time or general-election-time. They're increasingly disillusioned, though; they do not like any of the Republicans or if they'll even vote in 2016 (spoiler: they are totally going to vote for the candidate labeled (R)), but they refuse to give any money to people who aren't even going to represent them. I can't recall hearing anything about the Tea Party specifically. Knowing them, that could mean "not really any different than Republicans" or "well, they're generally good guys, no need to discuss the ones doing things right".

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
What did your parents think about the recent supreme court ruling about gay marriage?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What did your parents think about the recent supreme court ruling about gay marriage?

After some fights about it after I came out as bisexual, we've mostly not talked about gay issues beyond me occasionally making gay jokes and Mom occasionally hinting I should pick only girls to date. Dad hasn't said much. Oh, and Mom suggesting that me making one really restrained joke on Facebook meaning people wouldn't ever hire me because I'd be a sexual harassment danger. I don't recall the joke, but it was something so incredibly mundane not all my Facebook friends have figured out I'm not straight.

They are certainly against, but they're not being outspoken about it anywhere I can hear.

e: I looked up the Facebook post, and I guess it wasn't even a joke. It was about when AZ legalized gay marriage: "Well, this was a pleasant surprise to wake up to. I guess now all I need is to find a good man of my own.", alongside a link to a news story about it. Yup, sexual harassment threat.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 11, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Be expecting paperwork from my lawyers, good sir.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Interesting stuff. They really do need to start cycling their perishables though, flour and corn products especially. That stuff gets... buggy if you leave it too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
What do they think of Christians of other denominations? Is it like Ayn Rand in that they're along the right lines and not perfect?

• Locked thread