Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I was gonna post about the Gironde and the Montagne and sinister and dexter but I've been beaten to all of that. :saddowns:

ZeeToo posted:

It's supposed to be something of a secret

When I was a kid, I found out that a friend's parents were preppers when they showed me a hidden room in their garage with all of the prepper poo poo in it. At the time, I thought, "oh, this is a good contingency plan if there's a hurricane," and then I realized that they were keeping it secret because when the end times come they don't want hangers-on or bandits.

The Lone Badger posted:

Why would you buy that many packs of individual bottles rather than getting 20L containers and filling them from the tap?

Tap water is fluoridated for mind control. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Hazzard posted:

What do they think of Christians of other denominations? Is it like Ayn Rand in that they're along the right lines and not perfect?

Acceptable as long as they a) believe in salvation by faith without works, b) accept the inerrancy and primacy of the Bible, c) take the right doctrine of the Trinity and a handful of other qualifiers that aren't very exciting unless you're interested in theology or are a true believer.

So it's a broader net than some, but notable groups that are excluded are Catholics (mostly/maybe), Latter Day Saints/Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Unitarians and many Seventh-Day Adventists.

RNG posted:

Tap water is fluoridated for mind control. Duh.

My dad disdains infowars, thankfully. They don't like fluoridated tap water, but it's more like "government shouldn't be involved in dictating health concerns to people" than mind control.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Great thread OP, if I may have a suggestion, tell your parents you're going into politics and supporting this party:

Does that tick enough boxes?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

So, your parents are essentially hoarders of inedible food.

That's not as bad as them taking an active interest in fixing your life, and, If I'm looking for another nice thing to say, at least they're getting out and doing interesting things (camping) with each other, which is more than a lot of people that age usually do.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
They'd probably be a lot happier with their lives if they weren't living in abject despair over the imminent collapse of the world, though.

Granted they could be doing a lot worse. But they could also be doing much much better.

OP, given your parents' insular worldview what sorts of groups or individuals do they actually trust?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ShadowCatboy posted:

They'd probably be a lot happier with their lives if they weren't living in abject despair over the imminent collapse of the world, though.

are they actually despairing, most guys with detailed apocalypse visions i've met seem pretty cheerful all around. gives em something to look forward to

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ShadowCatboy posted:

OP, given your parents' insular worldview what sorts of groups or individuals do they actually trust?

Christians. Several times we've had cases of hiring a Christian for... whatever work. Something goes wrong (hiring someone to lay tile who doesn't know how to keep it placed well/not breaking from normal use, etc), and the family eats the loss because, well, you can't sue a Christian. And Christians are trustworthy, so it's a deep mystery how this ever happened. Again. Maybe next time we'll check credentials ahead of time... or not. Christians are trustworthy, after all. Seriously, a Christian T-shirt is enough to let you get away with almost anything short of being caught red-handed in the act of theft or worse.

xutech posted:

So, your parents are essentially hoarders of inedible food.

That's not as bad as them taking an active interest in fixing your life, and, If I'm looking for another nice thing to say, at least they're getting out and doing interesting things (camping) with each other, which is more than a lot of people that age usually do.

Yeah, it's something that could be a lot worse than it is. And, who knows, maybe the food can be eaten! It just won't be eaten by me.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Great thread OP, if I may have a suggestion, tell your parents you're going into politics and supporting this party:

I actually have looked into joining some local liberal political things, though it's not been a priority yet. It doesn't make them happy, but I think my parents treat it as the same level of me being amused at having multiple 3L bottles of cornmeal stuffed in a bookcase. It's probably silly, it's very unlikely to be helpful, but you're not really hurting anyone so... well, go ahead. Mom's been willing to encourage that, Dad is silent with a disapproving look he tries to suppress.

They found out because I was talking about it to my sister who didn't realize it wasn't something they knew. Largely less awkward than you might think. I think I've mentioned previously that my parents really do think you should have the chance to make your own decisions and find out how bad it is if you aren't willing to listen to reason/experience.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

are they actually despairing, most guys with detailed apocalypse visions i've met seem pretty cheerful all around. gives em something to look forward to

The end of the world is a wonderful thing. It's all laid out in these verses about the End Times: a glorious and eternal reward draws swiftly near.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeToo posted:

The end of the world is a wonderful thing. It's all laid out in these verses about the End Times: a glorious and eternal reward draws swiftly near.

Wow. This is the saddest thing. If I were in your shoes this would probably feel kinda like watching both my parents suffering from Alzheimer's, except in some ways worse. Patients with this sort of utter detachment from reality ARE often quite happy because they're kinda holed up in their own little world. Yet there's nothing clinical about these sorts of prepper delusions.

You could probably help them come around, but... would you really want to? Not only would they have to deal with the shock of their world being turned upside down, they'd have to deal with the fact that they've wasted so much of their lives and money on this bullshit. How well do you think they'd be able to cope with the outside world? And as cruel as this sounds, do you think it might be worth it to change their minds at this point?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ZeeToo posted:

Seriously, a Christian T-shirt is enough to let you get away with almost anything short of being caught red-handed in the act of theft or worse.

Is a Jesus fish on the back of the work truck sufficient for them, or do they have a more stringent vetting process?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ShadowCatboy posted:

Wow. This is the saddest thing. If I were in your shoes this would probably feel kinda like watching both my parents suffering from Alzheimer's, except in some ways worse. Patients with this sort of utter detachment from reality ARE often quite happy because they're kinda holed up in their own little world. Yet there's nothing clinical about these sorts of prepper delusions.

You could probably help them come around, but... would you really want to? Not only would they have to deal with the shock of their world being turned upside down, they'd have to deal with the fact that they've wasted so much of their lives and money on this bullshit. How well do you think they'd be able to cope with the outside world? And as cruel as this sounds, do you think it might be worth it to change their minds at this point?

i'm glad you live with wierd christian parents who are ok with you living your own life OP, and not evangelical atheists

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

i'm glad you live with wierd christian parents who are ok with you living your own life OP, and not evangelical atheists

Lamenting people wasting tons of time, money, and possibly their mental health because of an insular and paranoid worldview is a bad thing how?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Lamenting people wasting tons of time, money, and possibly their mental health because of an insular and paranoid worldview is a bad thing how?

Especially if they're your parents.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ShadowCatboy posted:

I managed it. Like many kids, I was very much a carbon-copy of my parents' views at one point, and it didn't change overnight. I can't imagine my parents suddenly waking up one morning and going "you know, I've been wrong about everything for a very long time". As far as "should I", that's... almost a pointless question. My parents are going to be Christians come anything; any reason to doubt is a test of faith. I doubt the theology is going to change much, given how intractably they fought the LGBT questions even given their kids, so that leaves... what, maybe turning mildly more leftist because of some new discovery? Agreeing that the FDA should exist isn't going to be a calamitous shattering of their life's paradigm.

stubblyhead posted:

Is a Jesus fish on the back of the work truck sufficient for them, or do they have a more stringent vetting process?

Can you quote a second verse beyond John 3:16?

I'm glad I live with people who love me... and that my life is never boring. Often weird, but never boring.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Speaking of wasting mental health, this weekend my mom was explaining how she and my dad came to the conclusion that Noah is demonically inspired.

See: how little of it was literal Bible excerpts, "fallen angels" that get redeemed and something about SNAKE SKIN symbols on upper arms (snakes being pretty evil; see the first few chapters of Genesis) and changing things like it not taking a full 100 years to build the Ark.

I didn't actually see the movie with them, but... yeah, that's something I get occasionally. It's never boring.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ZeeToo posted:

Can you quote a second verse beyond John 3:16?

Jesus wept?

Are they KJV only types, or do more recent translations count?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

stubblyhead posted:

Jesus wept?

Are they KJV only types, or do more recent translations count?

Dad really likes KJV, Mom mostly reads NIV, but anything is acceptable unless it was a translation created by a bad group (Jehovah's Witnesses, etc) and/or well known as a really bad version.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ZeeToo posted:

Dad really likes KJV, Mom mostly reads NIV, but anything is acceptable unless it was a translation created by a bad group (Jehovah's Witnesses, etc) and/or well known as a really bad version.

But...but...what do you mean Adultery is a bad thing. It's right there in my copy of the KJV: "Thall Shalt Commit Adultery", see!

:v:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Alkydere posted:

But...but...what do you mean Adultery is a bad thing. It's right there in my copy of the KJV: "Thall Shalt Commit Adultery", see!

:v:

Eh, I'm sure it'll become a collectable.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
When my sister moved out, my mom turned it into a 'craft room'. Which is really just a stockpile of craft supplies and fabric, she still leaves all her in-progress beading and crochet stuff in the living room. I believe my mom is also prepping for the End Times, so she may meet the lord creator with open arms covered in fashionable homemade jewelry, mittens, and home-made handbags.

We also now call my sister's room "The Abyss".

edit: Told mom about this thread. Her response? "There will be plenty of food after the Rapture, but Hobby Lobby will probably be closed."

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 16, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Suspect Bucket posted:

edit: Told mom about this thread. Her response? "There will be plenty of food after the Rapture, but Hobby Lobby will probably be closed."

Sounds like she has her head screwed on straight.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Suspect Bucket posted:

When my sister moved out, my mom turned it into a 'craft room'. Which is really just a stockpile of craft supplies and fabric, she still leaves all her in-progress beading and crochet stuff in the living room. I believe my mom is also prepping for the End Times, so she may meet the lord creator with open arms covered in fashionable homemade jewelry, mittens, and home-made handbags.

your mom kinda owns

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

My wife has an exact replica of this abyss you speak of.

And yes your mom is rad as gently caress.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Craftin' for the Lord.

Edit: Oh, man, wait: "And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you bedazzlers of men." Matthew $4.19 (with coupon)

Bobbie Wickham fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 18, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So I'm curious. If your parents are preparing for the rapture buy buying a whole lot of food and supplies, does that mean they don't think they're going to be raptured? My Christian-fu may be a little rusty, but I thought the point was that Jesus takes all the dead and living believers up to heaven and all the rest of us poor schmucks are left behind.

Do your parents think they're going to be left behind?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Woof. My in-laws are heading down this pathway fast. When I first met them over a decade ago, they were run-of-the-mill right-wing jerks (the first thing my future FIL ever told me was a stale joke about John Kerry opening up a Waffle House GET IT BECAUSE HE WAFFLES). But forced retirement, a sedentary lifestyle, and an endless supply of AM radio, Fox News, and FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD: email chains has slowly turned their brains to goo. Last time my wife and I visited, my FIL wouldn't stop showing me vitamin powder he bought through InfoWars, and there were boxes of MREs all over the dining room.

My wife and I believe that their long-running meltdown constitutes a legitimate mental health issue, but any attempts to get them help will get great pushback. I'm more than happy to ignore them as they fade into insanity; my wife is more accommodating, bless her heart.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

D.N. Nation posted:

My wife and I believe that their long-running meltdown constitutes a legitimate mental health issue, but any attempts to get them help will get great pushback. I'm more than happy to ignore them as they fade into insanity; my wife is more accommodating, bless her heart.

Filial piety is a virtue.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

kedo posted:

So I'm curious. If your parents are preparing for the rapture buy buying a whole lot of food and supplies, does that mean they don't think they're going to be raptured? My Christian-fu may be a little rusty, but I thought the point was that Jesus takes all the dead and living believers up to heaven and all the rest of us poor schmucks are left behind.

Do your parents think they're going to be left behind?

No, I think the worry is we may get Mad Max pre-Rapture. Although if you're really into fine points of theology, they're expecting a pre-Millenial Rapture that doesn't necessarily need to be pre-Tribulation. What that means is that the Rapture will happen, and it will be before the 1,000 years of liberal darkness Jesus' kingdom on Earth, but it may happen before, in the middle of, or at the very end of the 7 years of the general End Times/ Apocalypse where the Anti-Christ gets to play for a bit. They're expecting pre-Tribulation, but are willing to believe mid.

e: :siren: :siren: Breaking news update! :siren: While shuffling around stuff in the outdoors room to fit in more stuff, it was discovered that the canning didn't take. Blueberry something made a mess all over the bed.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 19, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No matter how many good supplies you stockpile, or guns you have, a larger group of people can take them away from you. Even if you have all the latest technology in pushing small bits of metal into people's brains and muscles with explosive force, if there's an organized group, they can beat you. Have your parents ever thought of that? Have they ever thought that even with their awesome guns, 10 people with rusty AK-47s could take all their bottled water away? Or 50 people? Or 200? Or 1000? Do they honestly believe they can defend against an organized group? Have they taken steps to prepare for such an eventuality? I've read all the posts and questions and don't think this has been addressed.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Lol I wanna meet these people

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

That's really unfortunate about your parents' terrible reactionary ideology but I hope that doesn't totally push you away from God. I grew up around fairly conservative and funds,mentalist family and had to walk away for s whole and form my own ideas about things but I must admit, as I settle further into adulthood I see people,like this are often right about a lot of things but Terrible at explaining it and being part of a republican style worldview is totally damaging. Anyway, you know they mean well.

I bet they love mike huckabee and think socialism is bad lmao

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Commie NedFlanders posted:

but I hope that doesn't totally push you away from God

This. Poseidon will totally wreck your poo pooship if you stop sacrificing horses before a sea voyage.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

cheerfullydrab posted:

No matter how many good supplies you stockpile, or guns you have, a larger group of people can take them away from you. Even if you have all the latest technology in pushing small bits of metal into people's brains and muscles with explosive force, if there's an organized group, they can beat you. Have your parents ever thought of that? Have they ever thought that even with their awesome guns, 10 people with rusty AK-47s could take all their bottled water away? Or 50 people? Or 200? Or 1000? Do they honestly believe they can defend against an organized group? Have they taken steps to prepare for such an eventuality? I've read all the posts and questions and don't think this has been addressed.

Well, I think that's why they have the planned-farm in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise... yeah, nothing special for defense beyond the guns being around.

That's really unfortunate about your parents' terrible reactionary ideology but I hope that doesn't totally push you away from God. I grew up around fairly conservative and funds,mentalist family and had to walk away for s whole and form my own ideas about things but I must admit, as I settle further into adulthood I see people,like this are often right about a lot of things but Terrible at explaining it and being part of a republican style worldview is totally damaging. Anyway, you know they mean well.

I bet they love mike huckabee and think socialism is bad lmao

Yes, they do mean well, and think socialism is bad. They actually don't like Huckabee. I haven't asked why. Probably they think he's insincere, and just says things for the money, but I can't confirm that. That's just something they've said about other evangelical public figures. They were somewhat on board with Santorum in 2012, but not this year. I think maybe just because he lost to Romney?

Hello Sailor posted:

This. Poseidon will totally wreck your poo pooship if you stop sacrificing horses before a sea voyage.

Thanks for the heads-up! Thankfully, I'm hundreds of miles from any sea, but if I do go on a cruise, I'll check around the local stables first.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

but I hope that doesn't totally push you away from God

Hello Sailor posted:

What the hell is with you heathens. Quetzalcoatl all the way, dudes. There hasn't been a proper offering of still-beating human hearts in centuries. It's like you people WANT the sun to blot out and all of humanity eaten by jaguars or killed by floods or drowned by shark-jaguars or whatever the hell it'll be this time.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ShadowCatboy posted:

What the hell is with you heathens. Quetzalcoatl all the way, dudes. There hasn't been a proper offering of still-beating human hearts in centuries. It's like you people WANT the sun to blot out and all of humanity eaten by jaguars or killed by floods or drowned by shark-jaguars or whatever the hell it'll be this time.

I must disagree with you both but the cat boy has you on this one

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm holding out for floods of jaguars.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
So... what are your plans with all that expired food you are bound to inherit?

No, but seriously, your parents sound kooky, but (at the risk of sounding like someone's mom) there heart is in the right place. The fact your actions or views don't line up with their's, yet they still treat you the same says a lot. They also seem to be close and do things together, like extended camping trips, that 'normal' couples don't take the time to do. Good for them I say. Maybe one day they will snap out of it and cut out the goofy poo poo so that they can just enjoy today for what it is

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 20, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Dr.Caligari posted:

So... what are your plans with all that expired food you are bound to inherit?

As a serious answer to a silly question, I'm expecting to pitch it.

quote:

The fact your actions or views don't line up with their's, yet they still treat you the same says a lot.

This... is something we've worked to. As a confused late-teen-ager trying to work out his sexuality, I was in a much darker place, and there were times there where we were not getting along at all. Where we are now is the result of effort. Which isn't to put down what it is or the fact that we did work it out. Just that this is an improvement from "you can't be bisexual, that's not Biblically acceptable, how dare you even think it" through "you can't be bisexual, you have to monogamously pick one person ever for your entire life" to this.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cheerfullydrab posted:

Do they honestly believe they can defend against an organized group? Have they taken steps to prepare for such an eventuality? I've read all the posts and questions and don't think this has been addressed.

OP's dad is a pastor, if he does become concerned about that, expect more preppers to be formed.

Also something something faith and righteousness.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ZeeToo posted:

They actually don't like Huckabee. I haven't asked why. Probably they think he's insincere, and just says things for the money, but I can't confirm that. That's just something they've said about other evangelical public figures. They were somewhat on board with Santorum in 2012, but not this year. I think maybe just because he lost to Romney?

The real question is: What did they think about Mitt Romney, and what do they think about Mormons in general?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

This... is something we've worked to. As a confused late-teen-ager trying to work out his sexuality, I was in a much darker place, and there were times there where we were not getting along at all. Where we are now is the result of effort. Which isn't to put down what it is or the fact that we did work it out. Just that this is an improvement from "you can't be bisexual, that's not Biblically acceptable, how dare you even think it" through "you can't be bisexual, you have to monogamously pick one person ever for your entire life" to this.

If it helps any, some within the mainstream Christian denominations (Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian/Anglican, etc.) actually consider "preparing for the end times" a form of mild heresy: They discourage it because "none can know the hour" and so on. If you want to try turning your parents from this path, there may actually be resources available to you that could at least give you some talking points and someone compassionate with whom to discuss the issue, who (depending on where, of course) may even not care one bit whether you yourself are a believer.

I'm an avowed atheist, but I grew up a in a small, fairly conservative Catholic town while attending a liberal ELCA Lutheran church—at a time when the Catholic Church didn't even necessarily consider Lutherans Christian, wouldn't allow them Communion and such—and this was one of the few significant points of agreement other than Jesus and being nice to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

eschaton posted:

The real question is: What did they think about Mitt Romney, and what do they think about Mormons in general?

They were behind Romney enough to donate something to the campaign. I didn't see how much.

Mormons, however, including Romney, are at best horribly deluded into believing terrible lies and heresy that places other sources of (demonic, naturally) inspiration above the Bible which they also try to "correct". At worst, the same but intentionally cackling villains about it.

Romney just was still a better option than Obama, who hates America. He hates it. Mom, at least, "does not believe" anything Obama actually says about his faith. Not sure if that stretches all the way to Obama being a Muslim, or just a liar.

• Locked thread