Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

I'm an avowed atheist, but I grew up a in a small, fairly conservative Catholic town while attending a liberal ELCA Lutheran church—at a time when the Catholic Church didn't even necessarily consider Lutherans Christian, wouldn't allow them Communion and such—and this was one of the few significant points of agreement other than Jesus and being nice to each other.
As a Lutheran who grew up in Catholic schools, we're still not allowed communion with them, but I think they've changed their minds about us all going to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Mom says thanks and hopes your parents are not too insufferable, Zee!

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm holding out for floods of jaguars.

Did you SEE them pull off that win against the Dolphins? WOO JAGS

ZeeToo posted:

As a serious answer to a silly question, I'm expecting to pitch it.

We're actually getting a bunch of "Still got a year left on 'em before they expire" prepper supplies donated to the farm I work at! And it's TRUCKLOADS of stuff. Lots of tinned wheat and beans. I'm thinking we should hold a prepper party fundraiser. 10 bucks at the door, gets you in and all the tinned peas you can eat! We should make some pruno too, make it a real party.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 21, 2015

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

eschaton posted:

I'm an avowed atheist, but I grew up a in a small, fairly conservative Catholic town while attending a liberal ELCA Lutheran church—at a time when the Catholic Church didn't even necessarily consider Lutherans Christian, wouldn't allow them Communion and such—and this was one of the few significant points of agreement other than Jesus and being nice to each other.

Are you hundreds of years old or something? Because you'd have to go back a long ways to see Lutherans not considered Christians. Of course despite Catholicism being one of the most top down religions there is, there are huge differences in the actual practice of it as you go from New England Churches to midwest to southern.

Besides that you wouldn't be able to receive communion as a non-catholic at a Catholic church even today, the rules are pretty clear about what is required. Even if you are catholic there's lots of rules you need to follow. Now you probably won't be questioned at many churches but you'd definitively be going against doctrine.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

They're prepping wrong, but the real question here is, where the are they buying land with dirt you can actually grow plants in and drinkable water for cheap?

E: Seriously, I've been looking for some and admittedly I'm an idiot, but even in poo poo-hole middle of nowhere places, actually livable land seems pretty pricey nowadays.
e2: I mean, assuming they bought land they'll actually have water on if they dig a well, and not just die when the weather changes slightly I guess.

surc fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 23, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

surc posted:

They're prepping wrong, but the real question here is, where the are they buying land with dirt you can actually grow plants in and drinkable water for cheap?

E: Seriously, I've been looking for some and admittedly I'm an idiot, but even in poo poo-hole middle of nowhere places, actually livable land seems pretty pricey nowadays.
e2: I mean, assuming they bought land they'll actually have water on if they dig a well, and not just die when the weather changes slightly I guess.

If you've got a few grand squirreled away you can get a couple acres of flyover state with an aquifer and no utility hookup pretty easy

you won't be able to live on it for that kind of money, ofc, but it's not a much different class of expenditure than say a boat and plenty of bored suburbanites have one of those moldering in the yard

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 23, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

surc posted:

haha

It's a desert in Arizona and the well is non-existent. They can't grow a single fruit or vegetable so far in the home garden, despite much effort and a very large amount of saved seeds from apples and such; I very much doubt they'll ever grow a non-trivial amount of food.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
:lol: are they for real trying to grow an apple tree from seeds taken from their red delicious?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

stubblyhead posted:

:lol: are they for real trying to grow an apple tree from seeds taken from their red delicious?

Granny Smith.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Apples are one of the few foods that can only be done well by cloning. RIP your orchard

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Apples are one of the few foods that can only be done well by cloning. RIP your orchard

Yep. Literally every granny smith apple tree in the world is from grafts that can trace their lineage back to a single tree in Australia from the 1880s or something. It's technically possible to grow fruit-bearing trees from seeds, but they won't be fruit you'd want to eat.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

Yep. Literally every granny smith apple tree in the world is from grafts that can trace their lineage back to a single tree in Australia from the 1880s or something. It's technically possible to grow fruit-bearing trees from seeds, but they won't be fruit you'd want to eat.
Which you'll find out after nurturing a seedling into a fruit producing tree for a decade.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Life's about the journey.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

peanut posted:

stubblyhead posted:

Huh. This is all news to me! I did not know a thing about it.

I am unrepentantly a city boy, though, so I'm happy to do other jobs and exchange money for food instead of trying to grow it myself.

photomikey posted:

Which you'll find out after nurturing a seedling into a fruit producing tree for a decade.

Behold: the current state of the orchard after a mere couple years of effort!

Most of the time this is kept inside to keep birds away, hence the cans, but we've had guests over, and numerous failures have been thrown away, so I can't show how much larger the growing efforts often are. There's also a few other things being grown elsewhere, but I'm not entirely sure what's decorative and what's food-in-theory.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lmao

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
EDIT: Oh, I just realized this thread is 4 pages. Oh well! If someone reads the quoted post and this and not the explanation they get it again.

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Am I just crazy or is that thing about Left in Spanish being sinestro a bunch of bullshit? I think they might be getting it mixed up with Green Lantern villains.

My dad has a stupid amount of hunting rifles, but he mostly just keeps em locked up because he thinks they're pretty and really only uses like 3 of em. He's honestly one of the few reasonable gun people I know that has a bit of sense with em.

"Sinistra" is just the Latin word for "left," all the stuff about left-handed people being crazy or possessed led to words like "sinister" meaning, well, sinister.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So, they don't know how to grow food, don't know how to preserve food, don't know how to store food and even if a well was possible on their land they don't know how to dig one or have any other potable water sources for long term usage.

You know, crazy and wasted money aside I'm beginning to think you may not need to worry about this because at the rate they're going your parents will never be able to put this plan in to action.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
When people stockpile food, what's their plan for when it inevitably expires?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

[ASK] me about what different words for left are

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

roflmao that garden

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

it is posted:

When people stockpile food, what's their plan for when it inevitably expires?

I think people tend to rotate food out when it starts getting close to its expiration date. Say you want to keep a year's worth of beans stockpiled. Once your cans start to get close to expiring, you start eating them (or throwing them out) and replacing them with new cans.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Yeah. I have a week

kedo posted:

I think people tend to rotate food out when it starts getting close to its expiration date. Say you want to keep a year's worth of beans stockpiled. Once your cans start to get close to expiring, you start eating them (or throwing them out) and replacing them with new cans.
I keep maybe 20 gallons of water (in 1 gallon bottles) and a week or so's worth of food (in addition to whatever is already in the house). I store the one gallon bottles in reverse order of purchase, and we use a handfull a year for various things (camping, day at the beach, gardening, soccer game, etc). Every time I go through a 6-pack, I buy 6 more and put them at the bottom of the pile.

The food is mostly canned, and of what little canned food we eat, we try and rotate it through. Veggies, beans, etc. I try and rotate it in the house in the same manner. I buy much of our food from Costco and try and keep an extra on hand. So we have one massive box of Cheerios in the house being eaten, and another outside waiting. When it gets rotated in, I put Cheerios on the list.

People with 50 one gallon bottles of flour... I have no idea what they do.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

grack posted:

You know, crazy and wasted money aside I'm beginning to think you may not need to worry about this because at the rate they're going your parents will never be able to put this plan in to action.

I'm still worried that they might not realize that until after they really commit and it's hard to back out.

photomikey posted:

Yeah. I have a week

I keep maybe 20 gallons of water (in 1 gallon bottles) and a week or so's worth of food (in addition to whatever is already in the house). I store the one gallon bottles in reverse order of purchase, and we use a handfull a year for various things (camping, day at the beach, gardening, soccer game, etc). Every time I go through a 6-pack, I buy 6 more and put them at the bottom of the pile.

The food is mostly canned, and of what little canned food we eat, we try and rotate it through. Veggies, beans, etc. I try and rotate it in the house in the same manner. I buy much of our food from Costco and try and keep an extra on hand. So we have one massive box of Cheerios in the house being eaten, and another outside waiting. When it gets rotated in, I put Cheerios on the list.

People with 50 one gallon bottles of flour... I have no idea what they do.

This is sensible, and I do think it's good to have some supplies around just in case; disasters do happen. Staging like this is exactly how it's sensible to manage, too.

A big ol' pile, unused, less so.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

This is sensible, and I do think it's good to have some supplies around just in case; disasters do happen. Staging like this is exactly how it's sensible to manage, too.

A big ol' pile, unused, less so.
Hey, Thanks. I've actually tried to get advice about it on a prepper website, but no love. I'm not trying to survive the apocalypse, just the west coast version of Hurricane Katrina. You know, couple days with no utilities, food, or water. Frankly, if you know how to shut off your hot water heater, you already have 40 gallons of clean water. And if you keep a week's worth of groceries in the house, you can eat for at least a few days, even with no power. I used to keep a propane tank under the BBQ, but now I keep an extra. Plus two on the RV... and a camp stove that I bought a converter to use the big propane tanks - I figure we could survive a week or two - the first week living high on the hog, using everything in the chest freezer. The second week eating canned goods and pasta.

Anyhow - the reasonable ideas like that don't get any love on the prepper forums. You gotta have guns and hate Obama to get by there.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You're probably best off checking out camping and backpacker forums. Backpackers especially could tell you a lot about getting your essential nutrients in as portable and long-lasting a package as possible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Keeshhound posted:

You're probably best off checking out camping and backpacker forums. Backpackers especially could tell you a lot about getting your essential nutrients in as portable and long-lasting a package as possible.

The vast majority of camping food requires a fair amount of water and if you're not eating MREs, a source of heat as well. Potable water is still a major concern, here.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Are you hundreds of years old or something? Because you'd have to go back a long ways to see Lutherans not considered Christians. Of course despite Catholicism being one of the most top down religions there is, there are huge differences in the actual practice of it as you go from New England Churches to midwest to southern.

Besides that you wouldn't be able to receive communion as a non-catholic at a Catholic church even today, the rules are pretty clear about what is required. Even if you are catholic there's lots of rules you need to follow. Now you probably won't be questioned at many churches but you'd definitively be going against doctrine.

I don't really get this. Isn't communion eating the crackers and drinking the wine? How do they know if you're actually a Catholic or not? What's the punishment for doing it anyways even if you're not? It's not like there are any laws about this stuff.

Why can't non-Catholics have communion anyways?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
For starters Catholics believe the bread and wine are literally the body and blood of Jesus and not just symbolic of them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's p obvious who isn't actually Catholic, you can tell by the horns

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

photomikey posted:

Hey, Thanks. I've actually tried to get advice about it on a prepper website, but no love. I'm not trying to survive the apocalypse, just the west coast version of Hurricane Katrina. You know, couple days with no utilities, food, or water.

Two days without utilities you can just live off of bottled water and eat beans and bananas and read paperbacks and play board games or get drunk. You don't need any kind of prepper help. You can pee and poop outside in a manner that is easy to learn. I've gone on six day camping trips in the mountains and also without power in a major city for four days. You don't need a manual, just common sense. I can't fault you for getting ready because if you stockpile too much water, you can use it to flush your toilet, which is always an added bonus.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ashgromnies posted:

I don't really get this. Isn't communion eating the crackers and drinking the wine? How do they know if you're actually a Catholic or not? What's the punishment for doing it anyways even if you're not? It's not like there are any laws about this stuff.

Why can't non-Catholics have communion anyways?

They have no way of telling, but God knows! :catholic:

It's been a long time since I was last at Mass but I believe you can't have communion if you're suffering from a cardinal/mortal sin debuff and/or if you've never been baptised. If you do take communion when you're not supposed to I believe that's a cardinal sin too.

But whatever, masturbation is a cardinal sin so if people stuck to that rule the communion line would be pretty short.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

peanut posted:

roflmao that garden

It is a sad little thing. Op, at least now you know what to get them for Christmas. Trees that aren't sterilized of fruit. Well, assuming yiu have nearby orchards and such.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'd go for something more foolproof like cactus, sunflowers and chilli peppers.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

stubblyhead posted:

For starters Catholics believe the bread and wine are literally the body and blood of Jesus and not just symbolic of them.

Yep, it's called transubstantiation. When the priest blesses the bread and wine, they are transformed into 100% Jesus despite still having the physical properties of normal bread and wine. The other big split is the faith or works argument. Protestants generally believe that faith in Jesus alone is enough to be saved. Catholics believe that you need to have faith in Jesus and then do certain good works (mostly be baptized) to be saved.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

golden bubble posted:

Yep, it's called transubstantiation. When the priest blesses the bread and wine, they are transformed into 100% Jesus despite still having the physical properties of normal bread and wine. The other big split is the faith or works argument. Protestants generally believe that faith in Jesus alone is enough to be saved. Catholics believe that you need to have faith in Jesus and then do certain good works (mostly be baptized) to be saved.

Lutherans also believe in transubstantiation, we're just not allowed to take Catholic Communion because.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
As someone who finds the idea of "prepping" to be interesting and possibly fun, though ultimately pointless, your parents are crazy. Very poorly organized bunker.

Also lol that they are concealing their plans from their own children like they don't trust you when the poo poo hits the fan.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Crazyeyes posted:

As someone who finds the idea of "prepping" to be interesting and possibly fun, though ultimately pointless, your parents are crazy. Very poorly organized bunker.

Also lol that they are concealing their plans from their own children like they don't trust you when the poo poo hits the fan.

It's not entirely hidden. It's just... silly. I don't keep track of a lot of the details because really now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ZeeToo posted:

They were behind Romney enough to donate something to the campaign. I didn't see how much.

Mormons, however, including Romney, are at best horribly deluded into believing terrible lies and heresy that places other sources of (demonic, naturally) inspiration above the Bible which they also try to "correct". At worst, the same but intentionally cackling villains about it.

Romney just was still a better option than Obama, who hates America. He hates it. Mom, at least, "does not believe" anything Obama actually says about his faith. Not sure if that stretches all the way to Obama being a Muslim, or just a liar.

At least they didn't do what my family did and have a crazy uncle donate $1,000,000 to Regan. We were not a rich family either, he just dumped his entire life's savings. He was a retired car dealer or something and that's what he had left after he retired and sold the business.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Keeshhound posted:

Not really. As a backpacker I prioritize calories per gram over everything else. That'd be OK probably for up to a year or two, but after that you'd start suffering malnutrition.

With stockpiles of grains, beans, and other dry goods combined with a garden you could probably do OK for decades or more. Plus there's no reason you can't keep multivitamins, if you're really worried. It'd be pretty hard to give yourself really bad malnutrition since you'd already be considering variety over all else to keep yourself from being bored. The human body is adaptable.

That being said, if you're being cut off from global society for even 1 year, you'd better start farming buddy. It's back to the world's second oldest profession for you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't think your parents are going to be able to fend off roaming groups of highly armed bandits when they come to raid their stockpile. They are going to need more guns and possibly grenade launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

leica posted:

I don't think your parents are going to be able to fend off roaming groups of highly armed bandits when they come to raid their stockpile. They are going to need more guns and possibly grenade launchers.

Pretty sure in a situation as described bandits would pick an easy unarmed target, rather than trading gunfire with some people in the middle of nowhere. Supplies don't do you any good if you're dead.

OP, you parents need a long range rifle, let them know.

• Locked thread