Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Griz posted:

are they actually using any of this stuff or are they just going to let it sit there until the flour goes rancid, the dried vegetables lose all their vitamins, and the sugar turns into a rock-solid lump?

Given their gun "security" system and the total lack of organization of the supplies they've purchased I'd have to think that no, they haven't thought that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

photomikey posted:

I was referring to the empty gallon bottles that are now re-filled with flour and the like. I understand drinking from bottles when there is no tap water, i.e. in the end days, but why would you buy water by the single gallon when there is still society? If you're not into tap water, why not a 5gal water cooler like the rest of the world?

It's abundantly clear that the OP's parents don't really know what they're doing, so it shouldn't be *that* surprising.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

Lamenting people wasting tons of time, money, and possibly their mental health because of an insular and paranoid worldview is a bad thing how?

Especially if they're your parents.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So, they don't know how to grow food, don't know how to preserve food, don't know how to store food and even if a well was possible on their land they don't know how to dig one or have any other potable water sources for long term usage.

You know, crazy and wasted money aside I'm beginning to think you may not need to worry about this because at the rate they're going your parents will never be able to put this plan in to action.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

You're probably best off checking out camping and backpacker forums. Backpackers especially could tell you a lot about getting your essential nutrients in as portable and long-lasting a package as possible.

The vast majority of camping food requires a fair amount of water and if you're not eating MREs, a source of heat as well. Potable water is still a major concern, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Stockpiling guns is just going to interfere with dying for their faith. If they wanna get martyred properly they need to not hide or fight back.

You're trying to rationalize the thought processes of clearly irrational people.

• Locked thread