Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

When September 9th @ 10:00am PT

Where http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2015/

Speculation (taken from http://www.vox.com/2015/9/8/9277549/iphone-6s-ipad-pro-apple-tv)
  • A new iPhone 6S with new chip, force touch screen, better camera & tougher screen
  • A revamped Apple TV with app store, gaming & more content
  • A new iPad Pro with 13" screen & stylus (WTF?)
  • Apple News launch
  • A smarter Siri

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Still undecided if I'll upgrade from my 6 to a 6S or a 6S Plus.

I thought the 6 was too big to begin with but now I can't imagine having a smaller screen.

I guess I'll wait and see the difference between the two

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Am I wrong to think/hope that the new AppleTV is basically just old AppleTV+apps+Amazon Echo?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

dexter6 posted:

Speculation (taken from http://www.vox.com/2015/9/8/9277549/iphone-6s-ipad-pro-apple-tv)
  • Apple News launch
  • A smarter Siri

Weren't these already confirmed and previewed at WWDC?

I'm really hoping they bump the base storage to 32GB but I'm not holding my breath.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Am I wrong to think/hope that the new AppleTV is basically just old AppleTV+apps+Amazon Echo?

This is exactly what I want so I hope not.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't buy Apple products new but having had the 6 for a month, it definitely could use the extra ram and that makes me excited to see the iPhone finally going with more than 1gb. My 5S didn't feel as memory-ridden as the 6 did but that could be because I was running the iOS9 beta on the 6.

Also, that picture in the OP is really cool.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Apple TV + apps + Siri + HomeKit. :colbert:

…I don't even have any HomeKit stuff, it just seems like the most obvious hub. :negative:

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011
I just noticed this on the event page.

quote:

Requirements: Live streaming uses Apple’s HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) technology. HLS requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with Safari on iOS 7.0 or later, a Mac with Safari 6.0.5 or later on OS X v10.8.5 or later, or a PC with Microsoft Edge on Windows 10.

Has Apple always claimed you could watch it in a Microsoft browser, or is this new?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Supgaiz posted:

Has Apple always claimed you could watch it in a Microsoft browser, or is this new?

Pretty sure it's new.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's new, and it's because MS Edge supports HLS (like it says) while no other browsers do.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I always forget -- is it a given that iOS 9 will go live during/after the presentation tomorrow, or does it line up with the street date of the 6S?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

enojy posted:

I always forget -- is it a given that iOS 9 will go live during/after the presentation tomorrow, or does it line up with the street date of the 6S?

IIRC from last year, iOS 8 was released the same Friday after the event.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've read some poo poo that there's going to be a pink (rose champagne whatever) color. I miss the Slate color of the iPhone 5. Tired of this Space Grey nonsense.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

enojy posted:

GM is never made "public" that day of the event, but the developer GM seed on the day of is usually identical to what eventually gets released a few days later. It also usually doesn't do a UDID check, so if you can get your hands on the .ipsw then you can update to the GM seed and be running the (presumably) final build a few days early.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'll be moving to a 6S as I really want the extra RAM and the 6 plus is just too blasted big.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Beep boop, all aboard the hype train ladies and gentlemen! :D I am excited. I'll be monitoring live blogs from work.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Please do something cool with Apple TV. I would love something new and cool to do with Apple TV.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm trying to see the selling point of force touch but no real world applications come to mind... What are you force touch enthusiasts looking forward to?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smoobles posted:

I'm trying to see the selling point of force touch but no real world applications come to mind... What are you force touch enthusiasts looking forward to?

It's just really quite cool. Have you felt it on the newest MacBook yet?

It's an eerie and unique feeling to feel a button when there is no button.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm sure this would never be a native feature, but eventually I can see a jailbreak where you force touch no matter what app you're in and the camera launches. Would be convenient for super fast photo-taking (although Control Center has pretty quick and easy access to the camera anyway).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm sure this would never be a native feature, but eventually I can see a jailbreak where you force touch no matter what app you're in and the camera launches. Would be convenient for super fast photo-taking (although Control Center has pretty quick and easy access to the camera anyway).

I hadn't thought of that, that's a really, really cool idea.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm expecting the new ATV to have a more powerful crippled processor and touch remote. It will cost a bit more and the existing one (that I use all the time) will stay in the store at the same price.

Also I was expecting more HomeKit info at the last event so there might be something in this one.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
I think the "Hey Siri" part of the invite is probably a clue to always-on Siri, similar to what Google has had going on (at least with the Motorola phones). Either way, my 5S needs an upgrade so it's just a matter of finding out the release date for me.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Personally, I can't wait for the Apple iPhone 6S Success

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

It's just really quite cool. Have you felt it on the newest MacBook yet?

It's an eerie and unique feeling to feel a button when there is no button.

The "force touch" on the phones will just be varying levels of pressure resulting in different actions, not haptic feedback from the display.

(I own the MacBook and it is really cool there, but I'd be amazed if that's what we get on the phones. It hasn't been rumoured in that regard anywhere.)

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Fiki posted:

I think the "Hey Siri" part of the invite is probably a clue to always-on Siri, similar to what Google has had going on (at least with the Motorola phones). Either way, my 5S needs an upgrade so it's just a matter of finding out the release date for me.

Looks like that's exactly what it is.

Mark Gurman posted:

the new iPhones will have another much requested feature, according to sources: always-on “Hey Siri.” This will allow a user to activate Siri with just their voice by saying “Hey Siri.”
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/08/ipad-pro-price-siri-tv-os/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Senf posted:

Pretty sure it's new.
Apple is supporting Microsoft to spite Google.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Store is down. The traditions continue!

http://www.apple.com/us/shop/goto/imac_retina

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

The problem is (for the most part) Siri still sucks horribly compared to Google Now. Hopefully there is some massive update besides "it's always listening!".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's...better in iOS 9. I won't say great, but better. To be fair, Google Now sucks compared to my Echo, so somehow Amazon got that figured out quick.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

It's...better in iOS 9. I won't say great, but better. To be fair, Google Now sucks compared to my Echo, so somehow Amazon got that figured out quick.

I've yet to use an Echo. At least it's improved in iOS 9, one thing I didn't check out when I ran the beta.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
It's marginally improved. It's still much worse than Google Now in my experience, and way too many simple questions that should have a direct answer result in web searches. Apple needs to partner with DuckDuckGo and speak the Instant Answers through Siri or something just to give the impression it's answering user questions.

TV could be exciting, but I'm not sure what they'll do that can make it worth buying over my Roku, which is one of the things I've been happiest with after buying in recent years.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I think this announcement / event will be like most others in presentation and flow. Tim will start with an overview of the company, and some fluff pieces about what Apple is doing good in the world - and he will definitely update us on the status of Apple Music and Apple Watch. Then, he'll get into the announcements.

New Apple Watch Bands - Likelihood: 90%
This will be gone over very quickly, probably right away.

OS X 10.11 Launch Date - Likelihood: 100%
Tim will disclose this and maybe give 5 minutes to this. However - I have a feeling we might see Siri integration into OS X - but that is only about a 20% chance since no one's even seen hints in the code. If we do, this will probably be a good 15 minutes.

iOS9 and WatchOS2 - Likelihood: 100%
This is a given. We'll get announce dates for all of these - possibly same day as the iPhone launch. No surprises here.

New iPhones - Likelihood: 100%
This is really a no-brainer. We're at that point in the lifecycle, so we'll definitely see the new iPhone crop come up this year. I'm not quite entirely sure what will make these stand out - a processor bump, low-end being 32gig or 64gig storage, or maybe the lack of a physical touch-ID button, but we'll definitely see these. I do not expect a new iPhone '6c' though. I think we'll see launch dates as "Available to Order on September 25th"

New AppleTV - Likelihood: 80%
I really, really hope I am wrong here. But I've been burned too many times to be fully confident that we will see a new AppleTV this year. If we do, however, I feel it will come with Siri integration, HomeKit integration, and a bluetooth remote control. I also think we'll see "aTVOS" - an iOS derivative designed specifically for AppleTV. (This I give a lower confidence score to - about 30%.)

New iPads / The iPad Pro - Likelihood: 50%
While I would like to see an iPad Pro - I think we'll see this covered later this year in October in it's own event.

Mac Refresh / Update - Likelihood: 10%
Doubtful we'll see this at this sort of event. Macs usually refresh during OS X updates, or their own events, not during the annual iPhone update.

All these things will take some time - but they'll probably end again with some sort of musical guest that I really could care less about.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The problem is (for the most part) Siri still sucks horribly compared to Google Now. Hopefully there is some massive update besides "it's always listening!".

Yeah Siri is one of the few times where it feels like Apple rushed to the market to get a "digital assistant" out and it feels like everyone has surpassed them.

Cortana is awesome
Google Now is great

I haven't tried Echo but I've heard amazing things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

maduin posted:

It's marginally improved. It's still much worse than Google Now in my experience, and way too many simple questions that should have a direct answer result in web searches. Apple needs to partner with DuckDuckGo and speak the Instant Answers through Siri or something just to give the impression it's answering user questions.

TV could be exciting, but I'm not sure what they'll do that can make it worth buying over my Roku, which is one of the things I've been happiest with after buying in recent years.

At least it's not Cortana!

Cortana Bings whatever you ask it 99% of the time. Siri's more like 90.

Even some of the examples Microsoft shows in their commercials and stuff result in a Bing search.

(Windows 10, I hear the phone one is better.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That's a terrible name. The rumored name is just tvOS, which is way better and more in line with their other recent names.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Diabolik900 posted:

That's a terrible name. The rumored name is just tvOS, which is way better and more in line with their other recent names.

Oh I know it's terrible. tvOS isn't that great either, but we'll find out in a couple hours.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

At least it's not Cortana!

(Windows 10, I hear the phone one is better.)

Yeah, I haven't used the phone one either, but the Windows 10 Cortana is loving abysmal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would someone be kind enough to post the stream address when it goes live for VLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Three Olives posted:

Would someone be kind enough to post the stream address when it goes live for VLC?

This is supposed to be it:
http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/15pijbnaefvpoijbaefvpihb06/m3u8/atv_mvp.m3u8

• Locked thread