Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Residency Evil posted:

I'm not sure this is the right comparison, as you're still on the hook for a year of iPhone payments to pay off the second iPhone. Also, as was mentioned, gazelle is pretty low for trade value.

I'm assuming you will continue to upgrade every year and purchase apple care on every phone. If that's the case, then $440 seems to be the pressure point. If you can get more than that, buy and resell your phone. A big unknown here is going to be what the market will be like for 2nd hand iphones next year. If a lot of people jump on this apple upgrade program then the price for random internet dude's iphone could drop compared to Apple reselling refurbished phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

What happens after the end of the 24th month, with your 2nd iphone? Do you owe any more money?

It resets to 24 months every time you get a new phone.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a 5 so I'm excited to upgrade to the 6S now. This is also the first time I've had a real job with disposable income saved for things like this so I'll be able to get in on the preorder thing.

Only thing is, are unlocked full priced phones gonna be available for preorder? I am using one of the TMobile no contract plans.

Yes, Apple sells them direct.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I have some questions about prepaid plans. The Apple plan thing made me curious about unlocked phones and prepaid plans. Sounds like I could save some money because I hardly use my phone during the day (can't bring it into work), and I use about 35 minutes of talk time each month.

The cheapest I've got my monthly Verizon bill down to is ~$80/month which has 450 minutes, 1000 texts, and 2GB of data. I like the idea of staying on the Verizon network, which limits me to their prepaid plan or this Page Plus Cellular thing I just learned about.

One thing I need to get straight: if I do this Apple plan and pay ~$37 for a 64GB 6S, can I get any prepaid plan that looks attractive, or are iPhones restricted from some plans?

Long story short: I have been in a contract for four years, and I have no idea what my other options are if I get an unlocked phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

zfleeman posted:

I have some questions about prepaid plans. The Apple plan thing made me curious about unlocked phones and prepaid plans. Sounds like I could save some money because I hardly use my phone during the day (can't bring it into work), and I use about 35 minutes of talk time each month.

The cheapest I've got my monthly Verizon bill down to is ~$80/month which has 450 minutes, 1000 texts, and 2GB of data. I like the idea of staying on the Verizon network, which limits me to their prepaid plan or this Page Plus Cellular thing I just learned about.

One thing I need to get straight: if I do this Apple plan and pay ~$37 for a 64GB 6S, can I get any prepaid plan that looks attractive, or are iPhones restricted from some plans?

Long story short: I have been in a contract for four years, and I have no idea what my other options are if I get an unlocked phone.

If you get T-Mobile coverage, the $30 plan with 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5 GB data sounds good for you: http://www.debtroundup.com/how-to-get-tmobile-30-plan/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RVProfootballer posted:

If you get T-Mobile coverage, the $30 plan with 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5 GB data sounds good for you: http://www.debtroundup.com/how-to-get-tmobile-30-plan/

Do minutes and data roll over on this plan?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

No.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also no nights/weekends, iirc.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
My biggest issue with the iPad Pro is the price of the whole package. I had been debating picking up a Macbook and installing Windows on it, for the ~10-12 hours a week where I need to get work done and am away from my desktop, but the price for such a limited use device was off-putting (I despise all Windows laptops, and have yet to encounter one that hasn't gone to poo poo within the first 6-12 months). If the base model of the Pro came with 64GB over 32, it would be a slam dunk, but at the current price point for the 128 GB model, it's going to be the ultimate indulgence purchase - an iPad to supplement my current iPad Mini.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

RVProfootballer posted:

I've got this plan right now. I'm wondering if the apple upgrade program would let me keep it or if I'd have to jump onto their unlimited everything plan. If it's the latter I'd probably jump ship to at&t or verizon, but if I can keep the prepaid plan I might just go that route.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
My contract is up on October 2nd. I guess I just tell Verizon to.... not(?) continue billing me for my contract at that point? I want to keep my number, and their $45/month plan with an extra 1GB of data with automatic renewal sounds like a pretty sweet deal. How easy is it to keep your number when bouncing around prepaid plans?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Josh Lyman posted:

Because people don't all upgrade at the same time? This is a silly question.

If Apple thought they'd get a boatload of revenue out of an iPad Air 3 with 3D Touch this holiday season then they probably would release one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zfleeman posted:

My contract is up on October 2nd. I guess I just tell Verizon to.... not(?) continue billing me for my contract at that point? I want to keep my number, and their $45/month plan with an extra 1GB of data with automatic renewal sounds like a pretty sweet deal. How easy is it to keep your number when bouncing around prepaid plans?

If all you're doing is changing your plan with the same carrier, you keep the same number.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Aphrodite posted:

If all you're doing is changing your plan with the same carrier, you keep the same number.

It's a federal requirement in many cases to be able to keep your number:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

flipoff posted:

I've got this plan right now. I'm wondering if the apple upgrade program would let me keep it or if I'd have to jump onto their unlimited everything plan. If it's the latter I'd probably jump ship to at&t or verizon, but if I can keep the prepaid plan I might just go that route.

I would imagine the apple upgrade program is completely divorced from the carrier? You buy a phone from Apple by effectively getting a loan from them and then you take this phone to whoever you want.

Aphrodite posted:

It resets to 24 months every time you get a new phone.

Yes, Apple sells them direct.

I know they sell them but in the past they didn't sell factory unlocked phones until like 6 months later for whatever reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right, what I was trying to say is that with a plan change with your current carrier it's not even a question. Plan changes don't touch your phone number at all.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know they sell them but in the past they didn't sell factory unlocked phones until like 6 months later for whatever reason.

They sell them right away now. I think it's been that way a few generations.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would imagine the apple upgrade program is completely divorced from the carrier? You buy a phone from Apple by effectively getting a loan from them and then you take this phone to whoever you want.

The fine print of the program says it requires activation on one of the 4 major carriers, so you can't sign up for the program then get on cricket or straight talk. I don't know how they'd treat all the carrier prepaid programs, but if I had to make a guess I'd say those options probably aren't included. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flipoff posted:

I did some quick math on the apple upgrade program, and it's looking to me like it might be a good deal compared to buying/reselling your phone.

Assuming you were to buy a 6s 64 GB now, add in Apple Care, and you're spending $880 ($750+$130). Net that against a $350 resale (iphone 6 64 GB price on gazelle right now) for a net cost of $530. Repeat when the iphone 7 comes out and you're looking at a total cost over 2 years of $1,060. Compare that to 24 monthly payments of $36.58 and you'd only spend $878 over 2 years. Your resale value would have to be about $440 in order for both options to be equal.

I know it's been said, but that's a really low trade in value from Gazelle.

I can find unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 on eBay right now, with bids, for $513, $520, $550, $436, $510, $560, $510, $455, $500.... Those about all average to $500. About $150/year more than what Gazelle is offering.

Even with Apple Care+. $750 phone + $130 Apple Care = $880. Subtract what you sell the phone for (-$500, so a $250 loss), brings you to $380, which is $31.66/mo. Apple's plan costs $36.58. So you save $62.28/year if you can sell your 1 year old $750 phone for $500. Which should be pretty easy.

The nice thing about selling your phone on your own is that you don't need Apple Care. That brings the monthly cost down to $20.83/mo, or $250/year, to have the latest and greatest iPhone every single year. So you are saving $15.75/mo or $189/year by selling your phone without Apple Care + Added On.

It will always be cheaper to purchase and sell your own phone than to use one of these trade in programs if you want the latest phone every single year.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Astro7x posted:

It will always be cheaper to purchase and sell your own phone than to use one of these trade in programs if you want the latest phone every single year.

True, but I personally find a bit of value with the carrier and apple plans.

First your trade in value is agreed upon a year ahead of time. If the phone is worth 500 in a year, but you owe 440 left on the payments, you have the option to sell it for 500, pay the 440 off and pocket the 60 dollars. If there's a glut of iPhones in a year because everyone jumped on this program and the phone is only worth 350, you hand it back to Apple under the terms of your agreement, and they eat the difference. You have options and in both scenarios you can come out ahead.

Second, the carrier and apple plans are easy to deal with. You go to a nice, safe comfortable store and complete your expensive transaction with company employees. You're not dealing with some skeezy guy off Craigslist that wants to meet you at 10PM in a Denny's parking lot or trusting you won't get hosed on ebay. That alone is worth a potential 60 bucks a year to me.

Apple still hasn't released the full legalese that should be here http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/ so the fine details like carrier activation requirement is still a bit unclear.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

In probably doesn't matter but nonetheless irritating news
The 6S battery isn't bigger then the 6 its smaller.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/09/iphone-6s-1715mah-battery/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LionYeti posted:

Thus BatteryGate was born.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

LionYeti posted:

Isn't that just a 3d render of the phone? Seems like the sort of thing that'd be an easy mistake to make. The tech specs for the new phones still show the 6S Plus having significantly more battery life than the non-Plus so I wouldn't be worried.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it was why put a number in?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Isn't the Apple A9 processor rumored to be on a smaller lithography process than the A8? There may be a slight dip in system power consumption to go with that battery change. I wouldn't put it past the engineers to scrape and scratch like that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Isn't the Apple A9 processor rumored to be on a smaller lithography process than the A8? There may be a slight dip in system power consumption to go with that battery change. I wouldn't put it past the engineers to scrape and scratch like that.

New processes basically always have power improvements (although the most recent ones have been kinda meh in that regard).

Also glorious race to idle.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011
Oops, drat this naming scheme. Seeing 6s' and 6's confused me made me think for some reason they were trying to say the bigger phone had a smaller battery than the smaller phone.

My 6 needed to be charged every night on iOS 8. On iOS 9 it gets me though 2 days. I wonder if they downplayed the power savings of iOS 9 on the 6 because they knew they were going to shrink the batteries in the 6s such that the battery life would be the same.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Do any other of the mobile vendors have hardware HEVC support? I was chatting with a friend about the lack of it on the new ATV and it's not really that surprising considering the format is just maturing. I think they made the right call not expending die area / validation effort on hardware HEVC decoding since no one spits out that content right now as far as I can tell.

A8 was on 20nm TSMC, I would think A9 is on the same lithography, potentially benefiting from any process improvements in the interim (high-k/low-k, etc).

e: also am I mis-remembering, or was the 'M8' a COTS Cortex-M4F running firmware? Wonder if that just got dropped wholesale onto the die of the A9.

movax fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 10, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Supgaiz posted:

Oops, drat this naming scheme. Seeing 6s' and 6's confused me made me think for some reason they were trying to say the bigger phone had a smaller battery than the smaller phone.

My 6 needed to be charged every night on iOS 8. On iOS 9 it gets me though 2 days. I wonder if they downplayed the power savings of iOS 9 on the 6 because they knew they were going to shrink the batteries in the 6s such that the battery life would be the same.

That's really good, going by your anecdote.

xthetenth posted:

New processes basically always have power improvements (although the most recent ones have been kinda meh in that regard).

Also glorious race to idle.

(E: movax's point is important too, chances to redesign on the same process are a thing)

And I wanted to mention that a battery capacity change of 100 mAh is like burning money to reinvent the wheel. Grandfathering the old battery would have at least been a tiny discount on R&D or supply or retooling custom parts.

However, this is the company we're talking about that asks things like ridiculous engineering measurement tolerances in the ballpark of fractions of hundredths of a percent from builders of in-store display cases (personal family anecdote). COULD THIS BE THE MOST UNIQUE, MOST ADVANCED, AND MOST PROFESSIONAL APPLE DESIGN PHILOSOPHY AT WORK? :haw:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 10, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I know it's been said, but that's a really low trade in value from Gazelle.

I can find unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 on eBay right now, with bids, for $513, $520, $550, $436, $510, $560, $510, $455, $500.... Those about all average to $500. About $150/year more than what Gazelle is offering.

Even with Apple Care+. $750 phone + $130 Apple Care = $880. Subtract what you sell the phone for (-$500, so a $250 loss), brings you to $380, which is $31.66/mo. Apple's plan costs $36.58. So you save $62.28/year if you can sell your 1 year old $750 phone for $500. Which should be pretty easy.

The nice thing about selling your phone on your own is that you don't need Apple Care. That brings the monthly cost down to $20.83/mo, or $250/year, to have the latest and greatest iPhone every single year. So you are saving $15.75/mo or $189/year by selling your phone without Apple Care + Added On.

Assuming ebay, you're already down more than that $62.28 with ebay and PayPal fees.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm expecting the A9/M9/iOS 9 will draw just a little less power in normal, and Low Power Mode will probably help stragglers to midnight.

Look on the bright side; your phone will charge five minutes faster with 100mAh knocked off. :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

movax posted:

Do any other of the mobile vendors have hardware HEVC support? I was chatting with a friend about the lack of it on the new ATV and it's not really that surprising considering the format is just maturing. I think they made the right call not expending die area / validation effort on hardware HEVC decoding since no one spits out that content right now as far as I can tell.

A8 was on 20nm TSMC, I would think A9 is on the same lithography, potentially benefiting from any process improvements in the interim (high-k/low-k, etc).

e: also am I mis-remembering, or was the 'M8' a COTS Cortex-M4F running firmware? Wonder if that just got dropped wholesale onto the die of the A9.

I thought from anandtech's coverage that A9 was confirmed as being on a different process, and come to think of it FinFETs would probably help a lot for power savings.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

So, this is totally early speculation, but like, is next year's phone going to be called the iPhone 7? I mean how long can they really keep this up for? iPhone 6S Plus is already a mouthful. The most inflated device name Apple's ever put out?

PlayStation is only up the fourth iteration but it's been 18 years since that first began.

I guess the fact that I'm thinking about this says a lot about how excited I am for the 6S.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

So, this is totally early speculation, but like, is next year's phone going to be called the iPhone 7? I mean how long can they really keep this up for? iPhone 6S Plus is already a mouthful. The most inflated device name Apple's ever put out?
Hopefully once they get to the iPhone 10, they'll use the OSX naming scheme. Personally, I can't wait for the iPhone X Mountain Lion.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

ShoogaSlim posted:

PlayStation is only up the fourth iteration but it's been 18 years since that first began.

I guess the fact that I'm thinking about this says a lot about how excited I am for the 6S.

I'm not concerned until they catch up with Final Fantasy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hopefully once they get to the iPhone 10, they'll use the OSX naming scheme. Personally, I can't wait for the iPhone X Mountain Lion.

iPhone X Tiger is when iPhones will finally be complete.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'll only be content if they name them after dogs. They will sell hundreds of millions of the Corgi models, I guarantee it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

My biggest issue with the iPad Pro is the price of the whole package. I had been debating picking up a Macbook and installing Windows on it, for the ~10-12 hours a week where I need to get work done and am away from my desktop, but the price for such a limited use device was off-putting (I despise all Windows laptops, and have yet to encounter one that hasn't gone to poo poo within the first 6-12 months). If the base model of the Pro came with 64GB over 32, it would be a slam dunk, but at the current price point for the 128 GB model, it's going to be the ultimate indulgence purchase - an iPad to supplement my current iPad Mini.

Not to take this on too much of a tangent, but buying Mac hardware to run Windows just seems like the worst possible idea if you have anything resembling a budget to work to. Maybe look at reviews to find some that don't fail? My company has a dozen laptops bought in 2010 and the only one which has failed has been dropped. Even if you believed failure within one year was likely (it isn't), wouldn't you be best served by simply running a warranty?
Asus and Toshiba laptops have a 84% reliability rate over 3 years (according to squaretrade) - perhaps check out the laptop thread for recommendations?
e: Asus, Toshiba & Sony laptops all have a lower failure rate than MacBooks
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

Khablam fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 11, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

Not to take this on too much of a tangent, but buying Mac hardware to run Windows just seems like the worst possible idea if you have anything resembling a budget to work to. Maybe look at reviews to find some that don't fail? My company has a dozen laptops bought in 2010 and the only one which has failed has been dropped. Even if you believed failure within one year was likely (it isn't), wouldn't you be best served by simply running a warranty?
Asus and Toshiba laptops have a 84% reliability rate over 3 years (according to squaretrade) - perhaps check out the laptop thread for recommendations?
e: Asus, Toshiba & Sony laptops all have a lower failure rate than MacBooks
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

But if your budget allows you to buy a Mac, then why wouldn't you? If it doesn't and the laptop is something that's important to you, then maybe wait a bit and save up?

They're good at running Windows. Real drat good. Hell, they're good enough at running Windows that Microsoft use them at their conferences.

And failure rate is important, I agree. However, customer service if the item fails is also important and the fact you're recommending ASUS of all people makes me think you have never dealt with them. Here's what people who have to deal with them think of them. I've got a $200 Asus router and the menus feel like they were translated from Chinese by a 4th grader, nothing they make screams 'polished'.

(e: ha, that link doesn't help my cause as there's a lot of 1* for Apple too. But ASUS are notorious in the industry for being utter, utter cunts when it comes to repairing/returning faulty hardware and even in the best cases you can't just drive down the road and have it taken care of in a day or two.)

My last laptop through my work place was a Toshiba Satellite Pro and the fact that it had the word Pro stamped on it was a loving joke. It was a nasty, plastic piece of garbage where the company branding started to melt off. The screen was hideous, the keyboard abysmal and the trackpad (like most PC laptop trackpads) was unbearable to use, when it actually worked, because it constantly needed disabling/reenabling. The idea that someone would recommend one of these things is beyond me.

In retrospect, I took my 5 year old iMac to the Apple store down the road a month or two back, and got a new graphics card put in it for free without quibbles as I was getting some screen corruption issue. It's now back on my desk, and it's had two repairs in it's lifetime (both for free) and works perfectly well still. I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it, because it's not hard to get discounts on Apple gear.

I was and am a PC use since i was 10 years old, and in 23 years I've had a lot of gear come and go by. I switched to Apple stuff primarily because I was sick and tired of loving about with computers and just wanted things that did their job, rather than me spending evenings with cases open and tools everywhere. Anyone who asks me what laptop do I recommend, regardless of OS, it's going to have an Apple logo on the back of it.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 11, 2015

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've been flirting with getting an iPhone for ages now. With the announcement of the 6S I'm left wondering once again if I should give up my HTC ONE M8 for an iPhone. I've had a pretty good run with the battery life on the HTC but for whatever reason every android phone I've ever had has a lag problem as soon as a year goes by.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I've been flirting with getting an iPhone for ages now. With the announcement of the 6S I'm left wondering once again if I should give up my HTC ONE M8 for an iPhone. I've had a pretty good run with the battery life on the HTC but for whatever reason every android phone I've ever had has a lag problem as soon as a year goes by.

I switched last year when they finally stopped being child sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

zfleeman posted:

I have some questions about prepaid plans.

Come ask your questions in the prepaid thread, we're happy to help. There's no need to be paying $80+ a month for one person.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652174

Got prepaid questions? This goes for the rest of you too.

• Locked thread