Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Beep boop, all aboard the hype train ladies and gentlemen! :D I am excited. I'll be monitoring live blogs from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smoobles posted:

I'm trying to see the selling point of force touch but no real world applications come to mind... What are you force touch enthusiasts looking forward to?

It's just really quite cool. Have you felt it on the newest MacBook yet?

It's an eerie and unique feeling to feel a button when there is no button.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Froist posted:

The "force touch" on the phones will just be varying levels of pressure resulting in different actions, not haptic feedback from the display.

(I own the MacBook and it is really cool there, but I'd be amazed if that's what we get on the phones. It hasn't been rumoured in that regard anywhere.)

NYT posted:

So, theoretically on an iPhone, you’ll be able to get to different software features depending on how hard you press down on the screen. Then with haptic feedback you will “feel” a physical response to touching those virtual buttons.

The NYT is suggesting that haptic feedback will be there "theoretically." We will see in a half hour.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/apple-event/

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nothing about this is making me go "I need to upgrade"

Same here, nothing compelling so far and I don't see much forthcoming. Disappointing.

Not happy about my investment in AAPL either. It's down about 1.5% today so far.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Sounds like the "Hey Siri" always-on is 6S-only and is not included in iOS9.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

"You’re even free to choose the carrier and rate plan that work for you."

typo, first one i've seen on apple.com

RUSHED

To someone that asked what happens if you decide you don't want a new phone after a year, this plan requires a 2-year agreement.

And it starts at just over $32 a month. So it's really a deal that starts at a minimum of $777.84 for 2 years, plus tax.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Mattavist posted:

No, work is correct. The carrier and rate plan work for you.

It sound super incorrect. Can we get a confirmation on this?

Choose a carrier and rate plan that work for you? Choose a carrier and rate plan that works for you?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did a phone lease before and hated it, mainly because they lost my phone when I returned it and gave me grief for months (carrier, not apple).

Is the old Apple TV now EOL, or is it going to get the new OS but without all the coolest stuff? I'm guessing it's locked to whatever version it's on now.

Again, technical nitpick, but the carrier plans are not a lease, but instead a 0% APR purchase plan, and you own the phone, and you do eventually owe the entire amount on the device unless you take advantage of their switching options.

Apple's is more nebulous, but I am guessing you still own the device in that case. You'll pay the entire amount on it over 2 years, and can get a new phone after 1 year for no extra fee. Kinda rad.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What happens after the end of the 24th month, with your 2nd iphone? Do you owe any more money?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Aphrodite posted:

If all you're doing is changing your plan with the same carrier, you keep the same number.

It's a federal requirement in many cases to be able to keep your number:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I bought a Windows ultrabook (ASUS UX303) and I've been very happy with it. I think it was $900. There are definitely most-recent-MacBook competitors at a deep discount over Apple's offerings.

• Locked thread