Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Isn't the Apple A9 processor rumored to be on a smaller lithography process than the A8? There may be a slight dip in system power consumption to go with that battery change. I wouldn't put it past the engineers to scrape and scratch like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Supgaiz posted:

Oops, drat this naming scheme. Seeing 6s' and 6's confused me made me think for some reason they were trying to say the bigger phone had a smaller battery than the smaller phone.

My 6 needed to be charged every night on iOS 8. On iOS 9 it gets me though 2 days. I wonder if they downplayed the power savings of iOS 9 on the 6 because they knew they were going to shrink the batteries in the 6s such that the battery life would be the same.

That's really good, going by your anecdote.

xthetenth posted:

New processes basically always have power improvements (although the most recent ones have been kinda meh in that regard).

Also glorious race to idle.

(E: movax's point is important too, chances to redesign on the same process are a thing)

And I wanted to mention that a battery capacity change of 100 mAh is like burning money to reinvent the wheel. Grandfathering the old battery would have at least been a tiny discount on R&D or supply or retooling custom parts.

However, this is the company we're talking about that asks things like ridiculous engineering measurement tolerances in the ballpark of fractions of hundredths of a percent from builders of in-store display cases (personal family anecdote). COULD THIS BE THE MOST UNIQUE, MOST ADVANCED, AND MOST PROFESSIONAL APPLE DESIGN PHILOSOPHY AT WORK? :haw:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 10, 2015

• Locked thread