Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's new, and it's because MS Edge supports HLS (like it says) while no other browsers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's...better in iOS 9. I won't say great, but better. To be fair, Google Now sucks compared to my Echo, so somehow Amazon got that figured out quick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The current AppleTV OS is already derived from iOS, so that's not much of a prediction.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

silentq15 posted:

Wait so the mini does what the pro does at a lower price? Why get the Pro then....size thats it?

no, it does what the ipad air 2 does at a lower price and smaller screen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So if I get Apple Upgrade will they just mail me a new phone on launch day every year? If so, I'm all in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I missed that part, it's an Apple thing? I figure this would be handled by your phone carrier and Apple was only talking about the United States, in which case it is going to be a nightmare.

No, you buy it at Apple Stores.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

The other weird thing about the upgrade program:

It would make no sense to keep it for 24 months, since you would pay more than the cost of the phone.
It looks like you end up paying $25 more than the cost of the phone plus Applecare+, so you're paying a bit of interest, really. I'm curious to see if they do it like the carriers, in that you pay sales tax on the FULL price of the phone up front. If not, it probably comes out even or even better to use this.

And oh wow, they're raising the Applecare+ deductible again to $99 per incident.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Wait, do you own the phone once it's paid off or does Apple?

You do. It's a loan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

I wonder how much it dings your score. I could see some people just disappearing. Harder to repo a phone.
Getting sent to collections is never good for your credit. Ignoring that, the phone is almost certainly going to get blacklisted from every carrier if you stop paying so now you not only have bad credit, but a useless phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do minutes and data roll over on this plan?

No.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I know it's been said, but that's a really low trade in value from Gazelle.

I can find unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 on eBay right now, with bids, for $513, $520, $550, $436, $510, $560, $510, $455, $500.... Those about all average to $500. About $150/year more than what Gazelle is offering.

Even with Apple Care+. $750 phone + $130 Apple Care = $880. Subtract what you sell the phone for (-$500, so a $250 loss), brings you to $380, which is $31.66/mo. Apple's plan costs $36.58. So you save $62.28/year if you can sell your 1 year old $750 phone for $500. Which should be pretty easy.

The nice thing about selling your phone on your own is that you don't need Apple Care. That brings the monthly cost down to $20.83/mo, or $250/year, to have the latest and greatest iPhone every single year. So you are saving $15.75/mo or $189/year by selling your phone without Apple Care + Added On.

It will always be cheaper to purchase and sell your own phone than to use one of these trade in programs if you want the latest phone every single year.
Assuming ebay, you're already down more than that $62.28 with ebay and PayPal fees.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hopefully once they get to the iPhone 10, they'll use the OSX naming scheme. Personally, I can't wait for the iPhone X Mountain Lion.

iPhone X Tiger is when iPhones will finally be complete.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are phone companies still offering subsidized phones on contract, or are the payment plans the only way to get them now? I haven't really looked into any of the payment plans (either from carrier or from Apple), but if that's the way things are going, I guess I'll have to research them next year for the iPhone 7?
Currently AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon are still offering two-year contracts (AT&T only through their stores or online), but they're definitely pushing people towards payment plans. Of those, AT&T will probably drop them first, followed by Verizon, and Sprint will keep offering them in a last-ditch effort to maintain relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flipoff posted:

When I preordered through Verizon Saturday they didn't give me a 2 year contract option.

It's on the Apple Store website. Might only be for certain customers. :shrug:

• Locked thread