Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Wait, do you own the phone once it's paid off or does Apple?

It's similar to the carrier financing options they have now. You're signing up to make 24 monthly payments on your phone at 0% interest. After the 24th payment you own the phone, however you have the option to trade it in for a new phone after the 12th payment. It differs from the carrier options as it includes apple care. Not a bad deal if you're the type that wants to upgrade every year and you don't have $800 laying around to spend on a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I see no mention of the 24 month payment plan ending because you swap to a new phone, nor of any trade-in value associated with upgrading your phone.

Year 1 is 12 payments on phone 1.
Year 2 is 12 payments on phone 2, 12 payments on phone 1.
Year 3 is 12 payments on phone 3, 12 payments on phone 2.

Right?

No, by trading in the phone you erase your next 12 months of payments. You hand in your phone, apple hands you a new one, you start over with a new set of 24 monthly payments.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I did some quick math on the apple upgrade program, and it's looking to me like it might be a good deal compared to buying/reselling your phone.

Assuming you were to buy a 6s 64 GB now, add in Apple Care, and you're spending $880 ($750+$130). Net that against a $350 resale (iphone 6 64 GB price on gazelle right now) for a net cost of $530. Repeat when the iphone 7 comes out and you're looking at a total cost over 2 years of $1,060. Compare that to 24 monthly payments of $36.58 and you'd only spend $878 over 2 years. Your resale value would have to be about $440 in order for both options to be equal.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Aphrodite posted:

There are no new iPads.

Except the big one.

Tablet iterations seem even more minor than the phones, so they'll probably let this generation play out for at least a few more months. The nice thing is the air 2 is starting to see some nice sales, I picked up the 64 GB model for $75 off over the weekend.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Residency Evil posted:

I'm not sure this is the right comparison, as you're still on the hook for a year of iPhone payments to pay off the second iPhone. Also, as was mentioned, gazelle is pretty low for trade value.

I'm assuming you will continue to upgrade every year and purchase apple care on every phone. If that's the case, then $440 seems to be the pressure point. If you can get more than that, buy and resell your phone. A big unknown here is going to be what the market will be like for 2nd hand iphones next year. If a lot of people jump on this apple upgrade program then the price for random internet dude's iphone could drop compared to Apple reselling refurbished phones.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

RVProfootballer posted:

If you get T-Mobile coverage, the $30 plan with 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5 GB data sounds good for you: http://www.debtroundup.com/how-to-get-tmobile-30-plan/

I've got this plan right now. I'm wondering if the apple upgrade program would let me keep it or if I'd have to jump onto their unlimited everything plan. If it's the latter I'd probably jump ship to at&t or verizon, but if I can keep the prepaid plan I might just go that route.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would imagine the apple upgrade program is completely divorced from the carrier? You buy a phone from Apple by effectively getting a loan from them and then you take this phone to whoever you want.

The fine print of the program says it requires activation on one of the 4 major carriers, so you can't sign up for the program then get on cricket or straight talk. I don't know how they'd treat all the carrier prepaid programs, but if I had to make a guess I'd say those options probably aren't included. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong though.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

ShoogaSlim posted:

So, this is totally early speculation, but like, is next year's phone going to be called the iPhone 7? I mean how long can they really keep this up for? iPhone 6S Plus is already a mouthful. The most inflated device name Apple's ever put out?

PlayStation is only up the fourth iteration but it's been 18 years since that first began.

I guess the fact that I'm thinking about this says a lot about how excited I am for the 6S.

I'm not concerned until they catch up with Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

Currently AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon are still offering two-year contracts (AT&T only through their stores or online), but they're definitely pushing people towards payment plans. Of those, AT&T will probably drop them first, followed by Verizon, and Sprint will keep offering them in a last-ditch effort to maintain relevance.

When I preordered through Verizon Saturday they didn't give me a 2 year contract option.

• Locked thread