Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

After they showed off all the 3d Touch stuff with the new iPhone I wrote off buying any iPad until it has that too. Happened with the retina display, and happened with Touch ID.

Wait... Seriously? They didn't put 3D touch in the new iPads?

How loving stupid. I guess you're right, it's pretty stupid to buy an iPad since we know what the new feature will be next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flipoff posted:

I did some quick math on the apple upgrade program, and it's looking to me like it might be a good deal compared to buying/reselling your phone.

Assuming you were to buy a 6s 64 GB now, add in Apple Care, and you're spending $880 ($750+$130). Net that against a $350 resale (iphone 6 64 GB price on gazelle right now) for a net cost of $530. Repeat when the iphone 7 comes out and you're looking at a total cost over 2 years of $1,060. Compare that to 24 monthly payments of $36.58 and you'd only spend $878 over 2 years. Your resale value would have to be about $440 in order for both options to be equal.

I know it's been said, but that's a really low trade in value from Gazelle.

I can find unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 on eBay right now, with bids, for $513, $520, $550, $436, $510, $560, $510, $455, $500.... Those about all average to $500. About $150/year more than what Gazelle is offering.

Even with Apple Care+. $750 phone + $130 Apple Care = $880. Subtract what you sell the phone for (-$500, so a $250 loss), brings you to $380, which is $31.66/mo. Apple's plan costs $36.58. So you save $62.28/year if you can sell your 1 year old $750 phone for $500. Which should be pretty easy.

The nice thing about selling your phone on your own is that you don't need Apple Care. That brings the monthly cost down to $20.83/mo, or $250/year, to have the latest and greatest iPhone every single year. So you are saving $15.75/mo or $189/year by selling your phone without Apple Care + Added On.

It will always be cheaper to purchase and sell your own phone than to use one of these trade in programs if you want the latest phone every single year.

• Locked thread