Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm digging the iPhone upgrade plan. My wife has a 6+ 64GB on AT&T Next 12 which is 12 payments to upgrade, 20 payments to pay off. It's about 42.50 a month. She can move to the Apple version of a phone lease (as that's really what it is, a lease), pay 40.75/mo and get AppleCare+ included in that price and still upgrade after 12 months. Works for me.

I'm Buy your own device through work, so I have to pay the 2 year contract price on my hardware. The subsidy is worth 450 dollars, but I can only upgrade every 2 years. A 6S+ 64GB will cost me 477 out of pocket after taxes and fees. If I can lease the phone for 40.75 a month including AppleCare+, and upgrade after a year I'm totally down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrDoDo posted:

Does anyone know what will happen to carrier discounts with this new upgrade program? Currently I get $25 off my line on ATT because I am on Next. If I switch from Next to this new program its unclear to me if the discount is specifically tied to Next or it just bring your own device. The new upgrade program is much more appealing with an unlocked phone for traveling.

It shouldn't change. You're getting $25 off right now because you're not getting the 2 year contract subsidy and have a 10/15+ GB data plan. How you get your phone (full price purchase, AT&T Next financing, BYOD) doesn't matter. You're not taking AT&T's subsidy so you pay the lower device access charge.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Three Olives posted:

Buying the phone outright would cost $549 plus $99 for Apple Care Plus so $129.84 in interest. I'm feeling stupid, what would be the effective APR on that?

The iPhone 6S should cost 649.99 when it's released. The regular 6 is now priced at 549 as it's now last generation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Astro7x posted:

It will always be cheaper to purchase and sell your own phone than to use one of these trade in programs if you want the latest phone every single year.

True, but I personally find a bit of value with the carrier and apple plans.

First your trade in value is agreed upon a year ahead of time. If the phone is worth 500 in a year, but you owe 440 left on the payments, you have the option to sell it for 500, pay the 440 off and pocket the 60 dollars. If there's a glut of iPhones in a year because everyone jumped on this program and the phone is only worth 350, you hand it back to Apple under the terms of your agreement, and they eat the difference. You have options and in both scenarios you can come out ahead.

Second, the carrier and apple plans are easy to deal with. You go to a nice, safe comfortable store and complete your expensive transaction with company employees. You're not dealing with some skeezy guy off Craigslist that wants to meet you at 10PM in a Denny's parking lot or trusting you won't get hosed on ebay. That alone is worth a potential 60 bucks a year to me.

Apple still hasn't released the full legalese that should be here http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/ so the fine details like carrier activation requirement is still a bit unclear.

• Locked thread