Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Would someone be kind enough to post the stream address when it goes live for VLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

According to Twitter Apple redid the typography of all the signs in the center they are holding the event in. Apple is just so adorable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Why is the name of a feature called "complications"?

Because that is what they are called on actual watches and Apple is being weird.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

This sounds like a groundbreaking feature for the hundreds of doctors watching this live stream.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Got it, check to see if your fetus is alive via Apple Watch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Is there a rhythm method app for the Apple Watch?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Can the iPad pro monitor my fetus Phil?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Wow, that's a lot of pixels.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Angry Birds is going to be amazing on this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Stylus has a lighting connector, lol.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MickRaider posted:

that's actually not too bad

charge it from the ipad too, neat

Until you break it off because that is an incredibly awkward way to charge it. It should have charged off the new mag connector from the keyboard.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The iPad Pro offers a groundbreaking number of fonts thanks to Adobe.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

How does the Macbook and/or Macbook Air not have LTE yet?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Even Apple doesn't give a poo poo about the iPad mini anymore.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Wait is the Apple TV actually launching with Apple Streaming?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

The future of TV is apps*.

*that require a cable provider login

I'm going to call it, major cable networks are going to offer subscriptions through the app store. Three Olives is always wrong

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I can't wait for my dog to break the glass on my Apple TV remote.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Actually those screensavers are pretty cool. I leave my TV on a lot just for the Chromecast screensaver.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

One more thing: The Apple Golf Pencil for Apple TV.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Oh thank god I am always wondering about the weather in Juno Alaska while watching movies.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I can't wait to buy poo poo on my TV!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Can't wait to buy $350 sports coats on my tv.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Introducing the new iPhone Fish.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Haptic is actually pretty cool.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thanks Craig but I just ignore all my email now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Can't wait to take all these 4k videos and play them back on my Apple TV.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

Fire the front display backlight at 3x power for use as a selfie flash.

Kudos, Apple, an idea that wasn't on Android first.

My 1 year old G3 does this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I can't wait until Apple figures out a way to make videos into photos.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Google Photos does something similar as well as doing video mixes and stuff. I mean, it's better in some ways and worse in some ways (at least from what we can tell from the keynote).

Actually the Google photo animations are pretty drat cool, it made a bunch of ones out of just a bunch of photos taken in quick succession even years ago.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Does I miss the motion wallpaper on the iPhone 6S? Didn't they just kind of show it at the very beginning and then never mention or show it again?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Malloreon posted:

It is unlocked.

Unless I missed something it didn't say unlocked it said "any carrier" and "starting at" I doubt Apple is getting in the financing business, I think they are just taking more control over the 12 month financing programs that all the carriers already offer.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OK now it makes sense, Apple isn't doing this, the phones are financed through "Citzens One Personal Loans" (Never heard of them), so you are getting a loan for the full amount at presumably zero interest with them making the difference back on the depreciated value of the trade in phone.

Which means that you are taking out a loan on your personal credit as an installment payment. When I financed through AT&T it never even hit my credit report, the carriers are financing through their existing history and contract with them. I mean not that that really matters but generally people don't like to open up credit accounts without good reason, if you are doing that why not just raise the credit limit on your credit card?

I wonder what the ultimate breakdown would look like with just buying the phone outright on your credit card, getting the cash-back and any extended warranty/buyer protection with 12 months APR and the higher private party sale to pay off the remaining balance after a year. I'm guessing it is close if not the same.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

And it starts at just over $32 a month. So it's really a deal that starts at a minimum of $777.84 for 2 years, plus tax.

Buying the phone outright would cost $549 plus $99 for Apple Care Plus so $129.84 in interest. I'm feeling stupid, what would be the effective APR on that?

edit: It's over 18% APR. Jeez, just put it on a credit card. For reference the carriers are financing at 0%.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 9, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

skipdogg posted:

The iPhone 6S should cost 649.99 when it's released. The regular 6 is now priced at 549 as it's now last generation.

Oops, missed that. It's still a worse deal than doing carrier financing although more convenient. You can always pay off the carrier financing whenever you want, pay it off with a credit card after one year, unlock and sell, pay off credit card. Or just trade it in through the carrier.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

It sound super incorrect. Can we get a confirmation on this?

Choose a carrier and rate plan that work for you? Choose a carrier and rate plan that works for you?

Carrier + Rate Plan are tied together, you can only choose one, you can't choose a rate plan and carrier independently, it's singular combination thus, work, right?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Did Apple mention Hermes pricing in the keynote? It's on their website, the Hermes Apple watches start at $1100 and are stainless steel so it's not actually a completely ridiculous price for a well respected ultra-luxury brand. I'm guessing these will actually sell pretty well.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LionYeti posted:

you're leasing the phone from Apple not a carrier

You aren't leasing, you are taking a 24 month personal loan from Citizen Bank. I'd actually be kind of curious as to how strict they are going to be as far as credit, the carriers are a little more forgiving seeing as they have a locked phone that they can blacklist and hold your phone number hostage on, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that even though the phones are unlocked that Apple will activation lock out phones that people stop making payments on.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LionYeti posted:

I'm sure they are, they'd probably also blacklist the IMEI from all carriers

On the same note I'm wondering how carriers will respond to this. If people are free to bounce between carriers at will it could result in much more favorable rates to carrier financing just for the lock in.

I wonder if we will see say Samsung offering very favorable discounts to carriers should they say way, way undercut Apple on 18 month finance contracts with 12 month upgrades.

If I was Samsung and a carrier I would be offering one hell of a deal to seriously undercut Apple and on a bulk order on S6s for 12 month upgrade financing.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Right but don't different providers use different technologies (CDMA/GSM) which would make the phones physically incompatible with other networks or is that a thing of the past?

Yes but the modern chipsets are able to support CDMA/GSM/LTE on the same devices and Apple has had the clout to get the CDMA carriers to certify and whitelist them for the more restrictive CDMA.

• Locked thread