Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

maduin posted:

It's marginally improved. It's still much worse than Google Now in my experience, and way too many simple questions that should have a direct answer result in web searches. Apple needs to partner with DuckDuckGo and speak the Instant Answers through Siri or something just to give the impression it's answering user questions.

TV could be exciting, but I'm not sure what they'll do that can make it worth buying over my Roku, which is one of the things I've been happiest with after buying in recent years.

At least it's not Cortana!

Cortana Bings whatever you ask it 99% of the time. Siri's more like 90.

Even some of the examples Microsoft shows in their commercials and stuff result in a Bing search.

(Windows 10, I hear the phone one is better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Cue everyone talking about how stupid it is to have a large tablet

I simultaneously think it's dumb but need one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why don't they have a Watch app to advance their slideshow?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I mean that teaser video they played, it gave no indication of what Apple was suppose to be showing. It just looked liked any other ipad, so it was like, okaaaaay? Cause Tim Cook just seconds before played it up like the update was amazing and they actually completely changed up the ipad. This is just a bigger screen, nothing else.

Are you not getting him talking about all the other junk right now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

None of this is impressive. Its just another yearly hardware update that the ipad gets every year.

You do know the 'big' thing was a pun, right?

They act like every annual iPad is the best thing ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unlike any keyboard unless you've used a Surface.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MickRaider posted:

that's actually not too bad

charge it from the ipad too, neat

Not needed very often though, it has a month long battery life. 13 days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

How will this ipad pro and pencil compete with wacom tablets?

They say Apple on the box.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Martytoof posted:

AppleTV currently has NHL GCL so yes.

And don't forget that MLB.tv is taking over NHL GCL operations so I would imagine we'll see the same level of polish for the NHL app!

We won't because the MLB deal is American only apparently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

People always complained there was enough new stuff. Well, here you go.

No Air 3, not good enough!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My current plan is too good to use the Apple upgrade thing, if it even ever came to Canada.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if they mean choose your carrier as in Apple is middleman-ing your contract, or if they mean "Use whoever you want, it's an unlocked phone".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No more events this year, I imagine. Air 2 is sticking around, which is fine. The A8X is crazy fast.

My issue is I need more storage but it feels wrong doing a 1 generation upgrade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are no new iPads.

Except the big one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but that's just stepping up to the Air 2 after the shameless Mini 3. It's using existing parts.

Also someone said it's actually the non-X CPU or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

What happens after the end of the 24th month, with your 2nd iphone? Do you owe any more money?

It resets to 24 months every time you get a new phone.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have a 5 so I'm excited to upgrade to the 6S now. This is also the first time I've had a real job with disposable income saved for things like this so I'll be able to get in on the preorder thing.

Only thing is, are unlocked full priced phones gonna be available for preorder? I am using one of the TMobile no contract plans.

Yes, Apple sells them direct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zfleeman posted:

My contract is up on October 2nd. I guess I just tell Verizon to.... not(?) continue billing me for my contract at that point? I want to keep my number, and their $45/month plan with an extra 1GB of data with automatic renewal sounds like a pretty sweet deal. How easy is it to keep your number when bouncing around prepaid plans?

If all you're doing is changing your plan with the same carrier, you keep the same number.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Right, what I was trying to say is that with a plan change with your current carrier it's not even a question. Plan changes don't touch your phone number at all.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know they sell them but in the past they didn't sell factory unlocked phones until like 6 months later for whatever reason.

They sell them right away now. I think it's been that way a few generations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it was why put a number in?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I've been flirting with getting an iPhone for ages now. With the announcement of the 6S I'm left wondering once again if I should give up my HTC ONE M8 for an iPhone. I've had a pretty good run with the battery life on the HTC but for whatever reason every android phone I've ever had has a lag problem as soon as a year goes by.

I switched last year when they finally stopped being child sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Windows on a Mac still can't use the Intel graphics in a dual GPU system, but that's an intentional choice of Apple's because they're assholes.

• Locked thread