Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Just picked this up since I'm a sucker for Warhammer 40k.

My referral code is EC-YW5OGJ0EN82IE to give us both some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Zaodai posted:

After talking to Orv about it on Steam yesterday, I finally installed this with my old Founder's key. I only played for 15 minutes while sleep deprived out of my mind, but it has a lot of potential. I didn't really feel like I was having hit detection issues or lag or anything. Optimization could use some work, but it's an Alpha so that hasn't even started yet. I only really noticed it when trying to spawn out of a Rhino and quickly leap away.

Gameplay wise, I got completely wrecked by whatever hardcore spergs were playing at 4 in the morning. I got a couple kills playing Devastator (because gently caress you, I like Devastator marines), but ranged feels kinda weak right now. I only tried the Heavy Bolter, because I hadn't fiddled with my custom loadouts before hoping in to try it out, but I'll probably try out the Plasma and Las Cannons next time I play. Heavy Bolter felt like it had way too much recoil even when zoomed in, though I imagine that's to encourage you to brace it on cover. Bracing it on cover seems like it'd be a death sentence like all mounted turret weapons, because my average life expectancy was approximately 25 seconds before an Assault Marine jumped on me and one shotted me.

I tried swapping to the big Stormshield guy and lost a melee fight straight up against an assault marine, but that's because I honestly had no idea how the melee system worked and I was just button mashing like a retard.

Assault seems extremely strong, and I only ever recall being shot at once, which was getting vaporized from a rooftop across the battlefield by what I believe to be a lascannon. If that's the case, lascannons (Despite their anti-armor role in the description) would be better than a heavy bolter, because you're never going to land enough shots on a target that sees you to make them give a poo poo. If they see you, they're going to just jump jet your rear end instantly.

Overall, lots of potential and reasonably fun. I imagine it'll be better once I understand the systems in play.

I played a lot of Space Marine multiplayer and some of the basics carry over. I haven't quite figured out the melee system either but the key to fighting any melee guy with a ranged weapon is pressing space bar for the dodge. It's a bit harder for Devastators since their dodge isn't that good and it takes a second to aim but it really helps. Most people don't understand melee so they'll just swing randomly and miss while you get some distance and murder them.

The Stalker bolter for Tacticals is also crazy good. Just be sure to press X I think to switch it to single shot.

The Lascannon is good, it just requires you to hold the reticle over the person for a few seconds before it will fire. As long as you're moving it shouldn't hit you.

APCs are underrated. Hop in one, drive to a somewhat secluded area close to the front lines, and give your team a great spawn point. Vehicles are hard to destroy and most people will ignore them or not know how to destroy them.

This game has a lot of potential and is quite fun even for an early Alpha.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Seeing people talk about Eternal Crusade just makes me want to re-install Space Marine and magically have a bunch of people playing multi-player.

There are still usually enough people to play at least one much on most nights. Half of them just happen to be people who have played it nonstop since it came. They are so good you kind of feel bad for them.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ben Smash posted:

Is anybody going to poo poo their pants if I write a legit thread this weekend? I just got EC last night and it has pretty strong potential and I give enough shits to write a decent OP.

I'm sure someone will poo poo their pants this weekend.

I'm not certain it would be because you did a proper OP.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Might buy this soon. Someone convince me and someone talk me out of it.

If you liked Space Marine multiplayer pick this up. It's really that simple.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I tried this game again and I have to say the melee system just isn't fun. I was amazing at the Space Marine arcade melee but this slower more tactical melee just isn't fun. The jetpacks also feel underwhelming.

To be fair I only was able to get a little melee in before I was killed by my own team. That happened more than the enemy team killing me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I played last night and got a better understanding of the combat system but something still isn't clicking. I'll parry someone and they'll roll or jump pack away immediately and cancel out the stun, or the parry will happen but they won't be stunned. Meanwhile I get parried and I cannot get out of the stun. I can't roll out of it and just stand there like a loving mook while they murder me. The melee system just seems so slow and the netcode is so bad it feels like I'm always at a disadvantage because of reasons.

The shooting is solid and I played a game last night as Chaos where we assaulted a marine stronghold which was a fuckton of fun. Felt like an actual 40k battle. There is something great here, it's just buried under a bad melee system and netcode.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

BurtLington posted:

So I live in Montreal and have been talking to the devs in discord, I might be getting invited to go into their office to visit. Any questions you guys want me to ask?

Have they put any thought into making an anti-vahicle weapon accessible from level 1? I hate that I'm useless against vehicles until I've played this game for a while.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Is there a hotkey for switching the camera shoulder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

The game is dead before I knew it was out.
Awesome.

There's still a good player base as long as you don't play late at night or early in the morning.

Be sure to play as da orkz. Da humies are filled with try hards and eldar, well you shouldn't have even thought about being those shiny gitz.

• Locked thread