Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The best thing about this being put on Steam is that Battlefleet Gothic was put up on the same day, cheaper, with a more accomplished developer working on it and more interesting things to do.

:orks101: gently caress you if you don't think Orks in space is interesting :orks:

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

AcidRonin posted:

So whats the consensus on buying in at this point? Is it ANY good? I realize it's half the game they are promising at this point but i'm really leary of spending money on poo poo before it's done because gently caress that whole trend. I'm also a massive 40k nerd, and I would like this to be good. Is it enjoyable to play?

Just get Battlefleet Gothic: Armada and wait for this to be more done and less expensive.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Pierson posted:

Why do we think Battlefleet Gothic will be good though?

Well, for starters, it isn't riddled with holes from moved goalposts. The people making it have made a pretty fun spaceship MOBA in the past called Stellar Impact. It also has Ork ships.

Sard
May 11, 2012

There's a Diablo-y 40K game coming too but the video I saw looked way too slow to be fun. Also you play as an Inquisitor for some reason. I feel like the perfect setup for a hack-and-slash game would be Chaos, then you have all the explanation you need for going places and killing thousands of anythings to collect powerful gear for your sole use. Spec out your character with mutations.

Battlefleet Gothic is going very well as a naval RTS. Seems like balance may be an issue, but there's a surprising amount of depth in the ship customization and combat. Dedicate your ships to Slaanesh and enemy captains are more likely to disobey orders, forcing an execution by their player.

Sard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 18, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Orv posted:

$32 deal

Where is this? $30 is about the most I'll drop for access to this game, but even then I'm on the fence. The ork sprint is so loving dumb and doesn't look good and proper orky. Like, there are dumb reasons to be upset about the lore, but holy gently caress get the animations for the most expressive faction right. Plus Deathwing might be good.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 26, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Matrim posted:

This game should really look back at some things that Planetside did right - 1v1v1, spawn immunity, vehicle balance. There's a lot of important similarities that Sony figured out pretty drat well with the first Planetside, and this game would be better if they imitated it better.

1v1v1 sounds like a good idea for ensuring that one side never grows too dominant, but that assumption is based on the belief that people are good and logical and will rally against the biggest threat. What actually happens, and happened in both Planetsides, is that one of the losing factions attacks the other losing faction while the winner is also focused on them, to acquire power at minimal cost so that they stand a better chance of resisting the winner later on. Or both losers gently caress off and only fight each other while ignoring the winner.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 26, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Popete posted:

What the hell doe the Orks get to deal with vehicles? Is it in the Loota class?

This would go from being the worst game to the best game if the Ork solution to vehicles was to steal them.

Sard
May 11, 2012

let us not become MWO, and not defend lazy balance with tabletop justifications

Sard
May 11, 2012

It's all about who is drawn to what.

Eldar are about being ~cool~ solitary space elves.
Space Marines are about being being one dude worth a hundred and chasing glory.
Orks are about forming a gang and beating the poo poo out of something. Of course they're gonna have the most natural teamwork and won't gently caress around competing to be the best individual when they could be smashing some distracted idiot in the back of the head.

I don't know about Chaos. There's the warband appeal but it's probably dragged down by edgelords trying to roleplay Kharn.

Sard
May 11, 2012

BexGu posted:

Now all they need to do is make the Orks with the most teamkills slightly bigger then the rest so there is a chain of command for the rest to follow.

:orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Lassitude posted:

Its balance is even worse than Space Marine's.

quote:

No two-handed hammers.

These statements are contradictory.

• Locked thread