Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mark Strong did a good space marine. So nice to have space marines (and Chaos marines) that weren't shouty retards. Y'know, as if being in a thousand battles over a hundred years or more wouldn't have made fighting loving orks against rather old hat for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Seems weird they decided to make the orks all boyz instead of nobs.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Oh right, they had that terrible idea where only one team would have F2P players on it. As if that wouldn't either be a huge balance issue if it were open world like they previously planned (I think) or lead to awful queues if it were a lobby game like now.

Have they talked about stuff like adding Imperial Guard as a faction eventually?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Orv posted:

Oh yeah, they talked about that recently. An Imperium faction of Inquisiton and SoB foot soldiers with IG armor, since SoB and Inquisition can at least wear power armor. Dark Eldar would probably end up as an Eldar subfaction, along those lines as well.

Meh, if they have ork boyz balanced against space marines, they shouldn't have a problem including IG storm troopers/kasrkin. Boyz are just as much cannon fodder as IG dudes.

Or "Tempestus Scions", whatever they're called now.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 21, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Read this as someone who hasn't played this yet or watched much but figures it's warhammer 40k planetside:

Unfortunately for table top space wizard spergs, this is an FPS type game and the #1 priority is to be fun. In order to be fun you can't have crazy imbalances between the races/factions and therefore if they even implemented Imperial Guards as playable class they would have to have comparable damage to Space Marines/Chaos Space Marines or have some type of paper/rock/scissors approach(read: harder to balance).

Obviously they can do the ghetto approach and just cause Lasguns to shoot 3x faster than SM's at 1/3rd of the damage.

An IG storm trooper with carapace armor and a hellgun is stronger than an unarmored ork boy with a shoota. No reason for weird imbalances if they're already okay with making an ork boy equal to a space marine.

Crazy that they're releasing in a month, though.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The animations do look like poo poo, but orks were added pretty recently and they're releasing in 2 weeks. I'm guessing they basically just shat them out for lack of time. So maybe one day they'll improve.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I think a sequel to Space Marine hasn't happened because THQ went belly-up and Relic was bought by Sega and is busy making a their last game ever before being either dissolved or folded into another studio. That said Relic planned for Space Marine to be a trilogy.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Blood Bowl (and Mordheim) suck largely because the developers just phoned it in and copy/pasted tabletop poo poo into the game, which is almost always a terrible idea. Deathwing seems like it'll be free of any of that garbage, so I'm not too worried Cyanide is doing it.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It has the potential to one day be good.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

randombattle posted:

Yeah man they could have made like f2p be orks who are a bit weaker but make up for it in numbers of f2p users.

That was what they were going to do, but it's a stupid idea. Nobody wants to play underpowered guys. And having all the F2P players stacked on one side would lead to unbelievably bad queue times for orks.

Anyway, F2P users don't matter much because it's a lobby shooter. There will always be enough people to populate a game via the matchmaker. They don't need a lot of people to sustain big fights like PS2.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It might be viable from a balance standpoint but it'd be a lovely experience to be an ork boy fighting space marines you're significantly disadvantaged against 1v1. I'm glad they shitcanned that idea, although now we have ork boyz beating up space marines instead of nobs like the original intent, so it's not perfect this way, either.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They way they have progression, the base classes lead to veteran classes of the same type. So tactical marines progress to unlock veteran tactical marines, and so on. Maybe they couldn't figure out what nobz would unlock as a veteran class, so they just went "gently caress it" and made ork boyz the default class so that nobz could be the veteran class.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

Aren't veteran classes just regular classes with more LP, anyway?

Yeah and for orks they're nobz. Dunno if they're physically larger but I doubt it. Would have made more sense for the veteran ork classes to be skarboyz given that the veteran classes are just regular classes with a bit better gear, but whatever.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 24, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Yeah, I think they have double.

Also, I created a guild. You can search for it and join it and use it as a roster to join your friends.
GoonSquad
[GOON]

Would have come up with a better name but they don't allow spaces in a guild name. What the gently caress?

Are guilds faction-specific or something?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah so guilds are specific to each faction.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Sucks so bad aligned legions aren't in. We need World Eaters berserkers and Thousand Sons spooky marines.

SirBuddha posted:

What Race you guys playing ? been playing as Ork

ork obvi

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

SirBuddha posted:

There an Ork Guild going?

Don't know, haven't seen anything.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Meanwhile every ork clan is busy typing garbled "ork speak" to each other and otherwise roleplaying orks for some reason.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are Noise Marines in this game? Because that's the only Space Marine worth thinking about playing.

No god-specific Chaos classes are in. But some of the advancements/customization let you, for example, equip a type of Mark of Khorne which grants you lifestealing but makes you unable to be healed by the Aspiring Sorcerer class. And I guess they might allow for stuff like noise marines with the elite classes they've been talking about.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There has never been a 40k game that was accurate with the lore, because playing a superhuman space marine with wearing hyper-advanced equipment means you'd be basically stuck fighting Chaos marines if you wanted a balanced 1v1 shooter. And that's just Space Marine. People sperging about the lore like it's a big deal need to be introduced to every 40k game ever.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Right click on the guy, get the red circle. Certain ranged weapons also have auto-aim (e.g. ork toxin pistol, "smart" weapons).

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Did we mention this game is janky as fuuuuuuu

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The rokkit launcher does jack poo poo to vehicles compared to something like the kannon. You take off a sliver at a time. You might not even be able to kill a vehicle from the front with the 28 rokkits you spawn with. Apparently it one-shots infantry but I just use the kannon for that.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

BurtLington posted:

So I live in Montreal and have been talking to the devs in discord, I might be getting invited to go into their office to visit. Any questions you guys want me to ask?

Imperial guard when? If we can have ork boyz killing spess mahrens we can have guardsmen doing it too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There's a fair amount of shooting in the game. I can't imagine you'd be more accurate with a gamepad than a mouse.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There was a patch. Performance seems significantly better. PC still one-shots. Bad game still bad.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It's pretty frustrating trying to heal people as a painboy sometimes, too. Didn't we loving learn that that style of healing was garbage sometime before TF2 came out? Never thought I'd see in the Year of Our Lord 2016 healing where you and your target have to be totally stationary for a couple seconds to heal. Making spess mahren/ork healing distinct by making it severely user-unfriendly is some egregiously stupid poo poo.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

How about they make healing not poo poo and then if ork healing is too powerful, adjust it more to compensate.

I mean, how about they start from a position of "make game fun" and balance around that?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Do you seriously want to hear ork players doing their best cockney accent?

My impression of orks isn't really that they've been coordinated. I play ork pretty much all the time, so maybe that's the issue, but it's generally the space marine teams which are 90% from one guild and so are the most coordinated.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I dunno guys, when dummies start doing ork talk I roleplay a Warcraft ork and people give me poo poo about it. Not cool!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

How can you nerf chaos? Maybe the auto cannon?

And PC.

I'm somehow not bothered by the marine buffs though. It is kind of funny that orks in a leather vest had the same armor rating as space marines is super-advanced space armor. Asymmetrical balance is cool.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Headshots do less because their heads are aliged with their chest due to how they slouch, so it's easy to just shoot centre mass and still get headshots. The small brain thing was just dumb flavour text.

PC didn't get nerfed for anyone. Just saying that Chaos could get nerfed via changing the PC.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Its balance is even worse than Space Marine's.

No two-handed hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Lascannons are fortunately not as bullshit easymode sniper time as they were in Space Marine.

• Locked thread