Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Stanley Pain posted:

So this is......kinda fun now.

Less janky but still a bit janky for my liking. Got used to the bolter over the course of few matches and I like it. Melee is still all kinds of warpy bullshit where one lagging assault can kill 5 dudes trying to hit him because the server has no loving idea where he actually is.

I picked this up because my friends are apparently wealthy as all hell and buy every new garbage early access game in existence, and I want them to like me. So far it is most similar to battlefront, but 40k skinned. The melee game gives it depth, however you very rarely get the opportunity to explore that depth. I think I've had like 2 good duels where we didn't get interrupted by a quadcannon blowing the gently caress out of someone. That's OK though, you shouldn't really get to have a melee duel in the middle of a battlefield I suppose. I played to rank 5 pre-patch eldar (now rank 4 or are they wiping?), but didn't realize there was melee lock-on and a parry key until like the last 2 matches. Now I can do that awesome stunning that kept happening to me and making me think I was just terrible.

Overall it's fun, and that means I will continue to play it, and then sometime soon they will patch away all the fun. Until then though I'm actually happy to play this for a bit. Like Battlefield or other squad-based shooters, it's wayyy better if you are on voice with a group and can get together in game. I've seen squads of 5-6 coordinated members absolutely lay waste to an entire team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
re: eldar chat (note: this is biased because I main Eldar but I have rank2/3 in every other faction)

The new patch really fixed some of the balance issues for Eldar, and like it's been said around Tier 2-3 you start seeing the other factions weapons making huge impacts. The eldar don't really have any one shot kill ranged weapons, the space marines have a lascannon, plasma cannon, and autocannon which all seem to be able to down you from very far away. Also power fists/klaws are pretty much a lost cause to melee against, as a Striking Scorpion there's not much you can do against a fist or klaw, or really even against poweraxe+shield (unless you are 2v1). That said I still win with Eldar more than I lose so it could probably use some more tweaking.

My top 3 list right now for problems:

1) General lag/netcode/whatever you want to call it - there's a pretty big issue with latency, especially with slower latency players constantly teleporting around. They need to establish some "true position" for calculating hits or something, because right now as someone with a decent computer and good sub 40ms ping I feel heavily disadvantaged. That's not to say that those experiencing the latency are at any advantage really, but it's annoying to have someone fly up in the air then teleport next to you and bam you are dead.
2) Party/guild system is garbage and needs a total revamp. The current one is slow, buggy, and unintuitive. I have 2 friends that play this game with me, and for some reason I'm the only one who can see both of them in the friends screen even though we are all friends with eachother. Also when you drop out of the round to buy stuff or do loadouts you get dropped from the war party. Totally weird system, needs help.'
3) One shot weapon balance - it's annoying as gently caress to get blown away by people instantly, there needs to be some sort of counterplay other than "never go outside ever". Maybe some sort of one-shot shield consumable or something that gives you some way to deal with lascannons or plasma cannons. They recently nerfed the stationary quadcannons which used to be able to one shot weakly armored people and now its 2-3 shots. Lascannon is actually hard to aim and shoot, but the plasma cannon is just a huge one-shot AoE that needs some work I think.

I have also never been able to get a queue to pop for the PvE stuff? Is that normal or am I missing something?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Nalin posted:

I think the Eldar are much better after their main cheese weapons got nerfed. It isn't a COMPLETE stomping anymore, but, as an Ork, I mainly see the following issues with the Eldar (and SM):

1) It seems that all the Eldar can roll out of stun, which is a major pain in the rear end while in a melee. They are also incredibly fast which makes it very, very difficult in a melee fight as you can't make ANY mistakes. The rolling out of stun might just be a desync, though, as I've have seen some Space Marine classes be able to do it. Or maybe its a bug that affects more Eldar classes than SM classes.

2) Eldar vehicles are incredible, and the Ork anti-vehicle options are poo poo. I am incredibly envious of that siege tank. If the Eldar team have one of those on the map, and they use them effectively, GG.

3) I always seem to be one/two hit killed by Power Swords and Witchblades quite reliably. For how fast those weapons are, they sure do a massive amount of damage to me. I once had someone smack me in the face with a quick attack and do about 230 damage to me (all my shield and half my HP gone).

4) The Eldar map mobility is crazy good. They can get around so much faster than other races. They aren't as reliant on vehicles as Orks are to attack a point. Really, Orks are hosed in the vehicle game.

I see eye to eye with this post, good points. I will say that any team that is on point with anti-vehicle loadouts is going to absolutely wreck attackers almost 100%. You really need transports to stay alive and to put pressure on the hard-to-reach points on any map as attacker, and most races have access to good enough anti-vehicle weapons that 2-3 people focusing on it can completely shut down the offense vehicle-wise(I do think that orcs have a harder time with vehicles than other races it seems), regardless of whether or not they are putting people on armor defense duty. As a fire dragon or , I can reliably kill almost any vehicle regardless of who's guarding it (with 3 stamina I can dodge/juke enough to get 2 full plasma cooldowns + a melta off which kills anything).

To show off the imbalance I waded into the game's official forums and found a thread "Stats for the Stat God": http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/stats-for-the-stats-god-an-overview-of-factions-and-maps-in-ec.56591/

Not sure where this guy is getting his data from, but basically, on many maps the attackers winrate is abysmal (like sub-20% abysmal!). That's pretty ridiculous, but I would still rather them focus on more pressing issues than balance right now.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 3, 2016

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I dunno why everyone thinks this game is so bad. Yesterday's patch made things a lot smoother at least for me. Whereas before during heavy firefights I would shoot and wait a few seconds to see my projectile fly into where the enemy used to be, now it usually fires within at least 0.5 seconds, which is tolerable. Melee is a little less jankier on positioning resyncs but really what are you going to do about that other than incremental improvements to predictive logic or something - at a certain point there will always be a bit of repositioning going on due to latency.

Is it a good game? gently caress no, it has missing icons for half the poo poo and the balance is still a ways off when it comes to antivehicle options and such. Also sometimes the game just fucks you over, theres dozens of one-shot capable weapons, and there's still little to no in-game directions to give you a bit of a hand in figuring out what to do. So no, it's not a good game. But it's fun to play and those moments when you jump a bunch of unsuspecting dudes and chop them to bits are still great.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 7, 2016

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Their priorities are making new poo poo to put on top of the already broken poo poo. loving great. Their priorities should be: fix completely missing graphics/icons, fix barely-working things like guild/war parties and terrain collisions on foot, then balance/gameplay features like world maps or whatever the gently caress.
I didn't really read it. It sounds like they are actually prioritizing bugfixing at least according to what they are saying, but seeing the patch notes is leaving me with a few questions I suppose, like why aren't guilds and war parties getting love yet. They don't/barely function.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 14, 2016

• Locked thread