Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is the poo poo-talking and beer-crying-into thread for the "I Paid What For Who?" dynasty league.

Recruitment for this league is currently CLOSED. But please feel free to post if you are interested in being on the waiting list, just in case someone drops out. Note that this is a paid league: currently, dues are $25 per year.

The league is here on ESPN.

Here are your 2015 league participants:
pre:
Division	Team #	Shortname	Team Name			SA Username
Division 1	5	TARD		First Down Syndrome		Spermy Smurf
Division 1	7	WHO		Who Da Titoons?			Metapod
Division 1	8	GOON		Percy Riot			kazak_Hstan
Division 1	9	GC		Gridiron Chefs			Chen Kenichi
Division 2	2	MCLE		Team McLean			Atomictyler
Division 2	4	LOIS		Former Kicker Ray Finkle	Gyshall
Division 2	6	ZACK		Awesome Cougars			The Zack
Division 2	12	YAKS		Team Yakscoe			Swarmin Swedes
Division 3	1	CC		Concord Concordes		Leperflesh
Division 3	3	1017		1017 BRICK SQUAD		Stevie Lee
Division 3	10	💩		Placeholder Team Name		Bloody
Division 3	11	HHX		Hawk Hunters			Hixalot
The league's rules are Here.
The league's spreadsheets are here.

Your Commissioners are Leperflesh, Hixalot, and Spermy Smurf. Your Treasurer is Leperflesh.

Please use this thread to talk poo poo, discuss rules, complain, cry, ask questions, comment on matches, and so on. If you have a problem, you can post it here, OR you can chat with any Commissioner about it, privately if you wish. It's better to speak up as soon as you think there might be an issue.

Good luck and have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty annoyed with myself as far as the draft went. I told myself going in "people are gonna overpay up front, don't get caught up in the bidding, just let it go." But then I paid $46 for Bell, because my sheet put him at a $60 value. And I paid $31 for Mike Evans, because he's 22 years old and my sheet put him at $32 value. And I paid $43 for Lamar Miller, because he's 24 years old, and my sheet put him at $33 value. And then I paid $22 for Randall Cobb, who is 25 years old, and a $43 value by my sheet.

Any of those buys, I'd be happy with. Especially Cobb. But all four... it was too much. I wound up short when it came to depth. I didn't even need to save that much money: cutting back by any one of those four players would have left me in position to bid $2 and $3 and $4 on the depth guys I had my eye on.

$10 was way too much for Greg Olsen, too, even though he's probably the #2 TE.

Some comments on how the IDP went:

Linebackers:
$12 for Lavonte David was fine. $22 for Kuechly is nuts. Bobby Wagner is just as good and he went for $3! C.J. Mosley went for $7 which is fair. Navarro Bowman went for $2, which is an insane bargain.

Remember, these LBs are usually the best guys to slot into the flex D position in addition to your LB slot, so you usually want to roster three. I outbid one of the earliest LB bids on Sean Lee, for $2, which I was reasonably pleased with... but if I'd known I could have gotten Bowman for $3 or Wagner for $4, I'd easily have done that instead.

DBs:
Morgan Burnett is my top DB, and he went for $4, which is an excellent bargain. I paid $3 for Reshad Jones, my #2 DB pick. Harrison Smith went for $6! I'd put him at #3, so either that's overpaying, or both Burnett and Jones were major bargains. Eric Weddle was also $3.

DLs:
JJ Watt went for $27, which is quite reasonable considering how massively ahead of all other IDP players he is. I would have paid probably $30, if I'd still had the money. Robert Quinn went for $8, and Chandler Jones went for $7, so you can see a decent progression there. Calais Campbell was only $2, though, and that's a steal. On the other hand, he's 29 years old, so maybe he's not as attractive as the younger guys. Behind him is Carlos Dunlap, who went for $4, but is only 26.

There were definitely a few homer picks and reaches, but once you get deeper into the IDP rankings, it can be very tough to call them. Especially given our scoring isn't typical (although there isn't really a "typical" scoring for IDP). I anticipate a fair amount of WW activity after week 1, when we start seeing how the scoring goes. Right now, ESPN has no projections for IDP players.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've put up spreadsheets for each team, to track salaries. Find your team's tab on the bottom of the spreadsheet to check it out!

I still need to put in the logic to handle IR players. I already put Daniel Herron onto IR on my team, for example. Remember, players on IR apply 50% of their value to the team's salary cap.

For all other money-logic, we round to the nearest dollar. Do you guys think IR players should do that too? Or, should it be the case that (say) you have 2 players on IR, and each of them cost you $1, so they now each cost you $0.50, or a total of $1 for the both of them?

Seems better than having weird remainder-dollars for injured players' cap space.

Please check your team, let me know if there are any errors. I will add rows whenever a transaction takes place. The FAABed, Traded, and Dropped columns are intended to take dates; the player and their salary always go in columns A and B.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Zack posted:

Divisions should be "What?" and "Who?"

We have three divisions...

Spermy Smurf posted:

I still don't get the Keuchly hate. Dude is 24 and will pull in 220-230 points per year for me. You had no problem paying double that for Lamar Miller who won't put up that many points. :shrug:

It's about positional scarcity. Keuchly is fantastic, but he's not massively better than C.J. Mosley or Bobby Wagner or Navorrow Bowman or DeAndre Levy or Paul Posluszny or Sean Lee or Jamie Collins or Paul Worrilow... etc. etc. It's a different situation than JJ Watt, who has just a huge gap over the next DL on the list.

I targeted Lamar Miller because not only is he in a good situation this year, he's only 24. But I probably did overpay for him. I panicked because all the top RBs were disappearing very quickly, and he was on my short list of young, talented RBs in situations where they're the clear bell cow. Other guys on my list were Jeremy Hill, C.J. Anderson, and LeVeon Bell. I got Bell, but got consistently and rapidly outbid on everyone.

In hindsight, I should have let someone else overpay for him and gone with a guy like Abdullah (who went for $20) or Hyde (who went for $26).

quote:

About IR: If a guy is suspended can I throw him on there? Is it an "If ESPN will let me I am allowed to do it" sort of thing?

I don't know if ESPN will allow it, but no: by our rules, IR is strictly for players who have been placed on the NFL's Injured Reserve list. Note that this is different from the PUP list. See: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/pup for a complete list... players marked IR can go on the IR, players marked PUP can't.

We can of course change our league rules. At this point, that requires more formal deliberation and voting, because it could be to some owners' advantage.

Bloody posted:

Before I do something regrettable, I want to make sure I understand things good. Julius Thomas is apparently IR-eligible due to his broken finger, but he'll likely be back in the second half of the season. If I move him to an IR slot on my team, will I be able to move him back to the active roster in the back half of the season? Or is our IR season-ending/non-return-eligible?

By our rules, you can put someone on or off IR at any time. Remember that being on IR saves you half of their salary cap, and frees up a bench slot. Bringing someone off IR prematurely doesn't really help you any, so I think typically you'd leave someone on IR as long as you can. However, as soon as the player is taken off the NFL IR list, you must move them to your roster, which may force you to drop a player in order to make space on your bench.

Right now, Julius Thomas hasn't been placed on IR. He's still just listed as OUT for the next game. The latest news is that his surgery may make him miss "up to a month" which implies the Jags are likely to not place him on IR - which would lose him half the season.

Again, though, we can change the rules, if you guys feel strongly that players not on official IR, but still injured, should be eligible for the IR slots.

Stevie Lee posted:

i have 5 pending waiver transactions

they don't process until saturday right?

Waivers are currently set to process on Wednesdays and Saturdays, at 11 AM EST.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Also: I have to drop a dude in order to process waivers to get a dude to put on my IR. Right? Then pick up the dude I dropped again to fill my bench slot?

Is there a way to grab a dude off waivers direct to the IR slot? Because otherwise I'm double-paying for dudes that I already bought in the draft right?

Honestly I'm not sure how ESPN handles it. By league rules, you are permitted to pick a guy up directly to Injured Reserve, but I don't know if ESPN actually allows that. We may have to experiment to find out, because the documentation is nonexistent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, obviously Who's on First Division, and What is on 2nd. But I believe third would be "I Don't Know."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You're right. ESPN says you can only put a player on or take a player off of IR, from your bench.

By our league rules, you can put someone directly on IR, and in doing so, avoid busting your salary cap. I feel like (since we're tracking cap manually) this is still OK. But ESPN is going to force you to free up a bench slot in order to grab an already-injured player to place on your IR.

So: I propose to update the League Rules to clarify that, while you may avoid busting your cap with a player who, before you acquire them, is already IR-eligible, by acquiring them and then immediately placing them into one of your IR slots... you still have to have a regular bench slot open in order to acquire any player.

I also propose to update the League Rules to clarify that only players explicitly on the NFL's Injured Reserve are eligible for your IR slots. I believe ESPN enforces this, but I haven't tested it.

Let's discuss and deliberate, and then I'll put it up to a vote when discussion seems to be done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can confirm that ESPN allows players designated "Out" onto the IR list (I see Arian Foster on the Gridiron Chefs has been moved to their IR list). I'm OK with updating the rules to allow it, assuming the league votes that way.

In the meantime, I've updated the spreadsheets for all teams with the latest transactions. It's now also calculating salary cap hits for IR players without rounding to the nearest dollar. I think that makes the most sense, but I could change it if anyone objects.

Annoyingly, there are no notifications when owners move players to or from IR. Consequently, I'd like you all to please let me know when you move players on or off IR. It's not a big deal if you forget, as long as your move doesn't cause you to exceed the salary cap, but I probably won't notice all of these moves if you don't announce them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I caught everyone's IR moves before I posted, by checking all the team rosters. Thanks though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Football!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sports ball fans are idiot meatheads, it's a well-known fact.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Curling is the realest sport.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperfish has made a lot of bad decisions.

Beginning with overpaying for Lamar Miller. He's really good but his coach is not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I made a lot of poor decisions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Peyton Manning is an old old man" I said, pretending I wasn't older than him.
"Peyton never gets old he just gets more refined" they said.
I didn't want to argue, but I knew. I knew. No-one, not even Peyton loving Manning, can outrun the Reaper forever.

We watched PFM get old, right around weeks 14+ of last season. People thought he just needed rest. Maybe that's what he thought, too.

But no. His arm is a noodle that has soaked too long. It's mush. He's done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, I still broke 100 with my star RB suspended. I would have preferred a lot more out of Lamar Miller, Greg Olsen was hugely disappointing, and Jamie Collins underperformed. But all in all I'm not that upset. When my team is healthy and I can start Gates and Bell, I should be competitive.

I'm also relatively pleased with the scoring. If you look at this week's top-scoring players, there's a good mix of offensive and defensive players, with no specific position dominating.

Don't forget to get your waiver transactions in tomorrow; they'll be processed Wednesday, at like 11 AM eastern or something. I plan on putting up voting for our open rules issues tomorrow as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. A looot of good defense guys got picked up at the end of the draft for a dollar or two. This was my biggest fuckup during the draft... if I'd saved even like $8 for the end, I could be dominating.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FAAB waivers went through. #3 drafted player Greg Jennings has been dropped! How quickly the mighty have fallen. He was only $3

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo, I'm supposed to be running a survey, aren't I!

Everyone please vote Yes or No:

1. Shall we update the League Rules to clarify that, while you may avoid busting your cap by acquiring a player that is already IR-slot eligible, by acquiring them and then immediately placing them into one of your IR slots; you still have to have a regular bench slot open in order to acquire any player? This is how ESPN is currently enforcing things.

2. Shall we update the League Rules to state that players who are designated as Out (officially, by the NFL, as reflected in ESPN's status designations) may be placed on the Injured Reserve, in addition to players designated as IR? This is how ESPN is currently enforcing things.

I will close voting when either both questions have enough votes that additional votes cannot change the outcome, or, in 1 week, whichever comes first.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I also vote Yes and Yes. Both items pass with at least 7 votes in favor.

I realize that was probably a foregone conclusion, but I'm big on "process" and it will serve us well some day if there's an actually contentious issue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Anyone want Peyton? Leper has been talking him up, so you know he is worth brady or even dalton..

Edit: Or CJ Anderson who has me like 3pts so far this year.

Lol Peyton just now threw a pick six.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, three of you made exchanges on your Injured Reserve lists, without posting to let me know. I have checked every team and I'm up to date now, but this is a friendly reminder: there are no notifications on the main transaction page when you rearrange players in slots on your team, so the only way for me to notice this stuff is to click through to each team and compare to the spreadsheet. It'd be easier on me if you'd post when you adjust your IR.

Good luck out there today! We're all counting on you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK,no worries.

Meanwhile there's a real chance right now that I fail to break 60 points. :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had two IDP guys combine for 60 points. I had my two RBs combine for less than 14 points. I actually got decent total numbers this week thanks to Jamie Collins and Sean Lee, but Finkle is a monster team right now.

I do think Sean Lee outscoring Antonio Brown is interesting, though. Obviously no LB is going to put up 30+ points every week, while AB can be expected to hand in 20+ almost every week... but I hope I didn't overpower the IDP guys with our scoring setup.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just remember, it's dynasty. Some folks focused more on long-term prospects. (While some of us overpaid for bad players.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We actually have two matchups with scores within 1 point and live players available to close the gaps right now. Exciting!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Metapod posted:

I moved dez ti the ir

Got it, thanks

The Zack posted:

Commish, I moved Romo and Cyprien to the IR

Got em. Cyprien is currently listed as "Doubtful" on the NFL injury report, so keep an eye on that. I discovered that if you have someone on IR and they stop being qualified, ESPN doesn't move them off automatically... instead, it prevents you from making any other roster move until you resolve the issue. That includes picking someone up off the waiver wire.

Week 2 stat corrections:
http://games.espn.go.com/ffl//tools/statcorrections?leagueId=1222085&scoringPeriodId=2

Dunno if this includes monday night football yet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hahaha there's a romo emoticon, I love it.

:romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo::romo:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gyshall posted:

also i put Sam Barrington on IR

Had it already, thanks.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Moved Andre Ellington off IR.

Cool, put this into the spreadsheet, thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah ok

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pre:
1. Gridiron Chefs 	 	Travis Benjamin, Cle WR $12	Added. GC dropped Alfred Blue, Hou RB to Waivers.
2. Former Kicker Ray Finkle 	James Starks, GB RB 	$9	Added. LOIS dropped Alex Smith, KC QB to Waivers.
3. Hawk Hunters 	 	Jared Cook, StL TE 	$7	Added. HHX dropped Charles Clay, Buf TE to Waivers.
4. Former Kicker Ray Finkle 	Marvin Jones, Cin WR 	$7	Added. LOIS dropped Devin Street, Dal WR to Waivers.
5. Gridiron Chefs 	 	Rishard Matthews, Mia WR$5	Added. 
   Who Da Titoons? 	 	Travis Benjamin, Cle WR $5	Unsuccessful.  Reason: Player has already been added to another team.
   Concord Concordes 	 	Travis Benjamin, Cle WR $4	Unsuccessful.  Reason: Player has already been added to another team.
6. Hawk Hunters 	 	Ted Ginn Jr., Car WR 	$4	Added. HHX dropped Jay Cutler*, Chi QB to Waivers.
   Percy Riot 	 	 	Travis Benjamin, Cle WR $4	Unsuccessful.  Reason: Player has already been added to another team.
   Concord Concordes 	 	Rishard Matthews, Mia WR$3	Unsuccessful.  Reason: Player has already been added to another team.
7. Placeholder Team Name 	Marcus Peters, KC CB 	$1	Added. 💩 dropped Ndamukong Suh, Mia DT to Waivers.
8. Concord Concordes 	 	Henry Anderson, Ind DE 	$1	Added. CC dropped Fletcher Cox, Phi DE to Waivers. 
Twelve dollars! I wasn't sure $4 would buy him, but the next-highest bid for Benjamin was $5. The Gridiron Chefs made sure.

Also outbid for Rishard Matthews. :argh:

btw you can see this report after each FAAB session here: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/waiverreport?leagueId=1222085

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 23, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I actually put in my bid on Sunday night I think, and then got really annoyed when everyone was chatting him up in the main thread as a great pickup this week.I figured there was a good chance I'd miss on him but I'm really leery of blowing too much of my FAAB budget after just two weeks. Player attrition seems to be at a really high pace this year and waivers might get reeeallly thin late in the season at this rate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that Derek Carr -> Amari Cooper? I guess it must be. I'm ready for the Browns to suck as usual, so I guess so, haha.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Would you rather have Dalton? I'll trade you...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, FAAB auctions run Wed and Sat. There's no other runs or free agency periods.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GC paid $51 for Luck. And benched him today. For... Big Ben, who has injured his knee and out for the rest of the day. That's some hard luck there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man. I went 0-2 and then this week I absolutely crushed it. Thank you blessed Le'Veon! It was totally worth the $46 I paid for you.

The amazing thing is, I could have had an even higher score if I'd played Evans over Crabtree, which I very nearly did, but his zeroes in previous weeks had me spooked. And 1.5 points from Henry Anderson is a massive dropoff from his first two weeks, clearly I should have gone with Hughes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The week 4 injury report isn't out yet, and apparently the coach suggested he might be back sooner, so ESPN has given him a Q. Most likely as soon as the updated injury report comes out he'll be back to Out status.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohhhkay. This was bound to happen eventually, I suppose.

Everyone, you are all responsible for tracking your salary cap, which I keep updated on our spreadsheet (see the first post for links). However, with this morning's FAAB process, team Former Kicker Ray Finkle (Gyshall) exceeded his cap by $29.50, with two FAAB transactions:

LOIS dropped Brian Quick, StL WR to Waivers
LOIS added Charles Clay, Buf TE from Waivers to Bench for $26

and

LOIS dropped Khiry Robinson, NO RB to Waivers
LOIS added Thomas Rawls, Sea RB from Waivers to Bench for $18

Unfortunately, I neglected to spell out a specific remedy for this situation in the bylaws.

The rule is 8.4; "Owners may not complete a transaction that would raise their team’s total salary above the salary cap."

8.4.3 and 8.4.3.1 are also relevant:

quote:

8.4.3 In the event that an Owner discovers his or any other Owner’s team exceeds the cap, their first action must be to inform a Commissioner of the situation. The Commissioner will evaluate the situation, take any action (including discussing with other Commissioners) if necessary, and then make a decision as to the corrective action. (This action may be simply asking the Owner to drop players to get below the cap, if the mistake appears to have been innocent and/or harmless).
8.4.3.1 The Owner should only take action to correct the salary cap violation based on Commissioner instructions.

I think there's two reasonable approaches. One would be to cancel Gyshall's bids on these two players, dropping them to the next-lower bids in this auction period. The other would be to lower his bids to the point where he'd still be under cap... but I'm not sure how to do that with two simultaneous bids. Suppose Gyshall had remembered his cap space: would he have bid his maximum for one player, and zero for the other? Or split his cap space between them? I can't know what he would have done, and obviously what he'd want done now is potentially biased, particularly since the other bids for those players are now public.

I call on my fellow commissioners to assist me with this decision, and on the players to weigh in with your opinions. We need to resolve it quickly, so that the week's games beginning tomorrow are unaffected.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 30, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The three-way tie would be resolved by the priorities list as normal, which if I'm reading the auction report correctly, would mean he'd go to McLean.. I'm not sure what to do about that trade either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ESPN does not track "salary" at all.

You had $200 during the initial draft auction. You weren't required to spend it all, and some teams didn't.

You have $100 you can spend all year on FAAB waivers. This money "goes away" as you spend it, even if you later drop players you picked up using this money.

The salary cap is $250. At no time can your current roster's player salaries exceed $250. You can check your team's salary at any time, by visiting the spreadsheet and clicking on the tab for your team: I manually update these sheets every time there is a transaction, and it shows your total current salary, the cap, and the remaining cap space at the bottom, in auto-calculated fields.

I don't know of a way to make ESPN be "aware" of our salary cap, independent of the FAAB budget. There's definitely no way to make it aware that players on IR only cost 50% of their salary. And, I don't think ESPN knows how to handle salaries with trades, either. All it does is track your FAAB spending.

I understand this is an innocent mistake and I don't want you to be punished harshly for it... but on the other hand, I think this is pretty well explained in the rules. If it isn't, I'm more than willing to update the rules to make them clearer.

e. So, given you had $14 of cap space after dropping Brian Quick and Khiry Robinson, the most you could have bid for Clay + Rawls combined was $14, even if you have a lot more cash left for FAAB this year. You can still spend that cash, by dropping players (to make more cap space).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 30, 2015