Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, that's not really a great solution. The players you "would have" dropped won't be available until the Saturday FAAB, rather than being available in this morning's auction... and as atomictyler says, you have the benefit of knowing for certain that you won those two players who you clearly wanted really badly.

We'll figure out the fairest way to resolve this that we can; the intent isn't to be punitive, just fair.

fake edit oh god you've already dropped people
please don't panic, this isn't a huge deal, we'll get it worked out. Take a deep breath.

I would like to wait and give folks a chance to weigh in. Please don't make any further changes for now.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Yeah I'll stop dropping guys until this is figured out.

Doesn't the #2 option LM tool here allow for adjustment of FAAB $?

Kiiind of. The problem here is, I don't think ESPN would increase your FAAB budget whenever you dropped a player to waivers, nor would it free up space if you put a player onto IR. If we relied on me doing this manually, then you couldn't (for example) drop a $10 player from your bench at midnight on Tuesday night, freeing up $10 of cap space so that you can bid $10 on a player to be added during automated processing on Wednesday morning.

quote:

I play in another ESPN dynasty league where this is adjusted by the treasurer for salary cap on a weekly basis.

So yeah we'd wind up with your cap being something that you can't manage on a daily basis if you suddenly want to add, drop, or trade players and you're close to your cap. How does your other league handle that?

quote:

I didn't mean to gently caress up but if we're expected to manage our teams salary caps through the spreadsheet there should be checks + balances on that, because it was pretty easy for me to gently caress that up without realizing it.

I was afraid it might be. One option would have been to go with MFL or another paid site that actually has these features fully-implemented, but we would have had to cut into our prize money to fund it and it seemed to be the consensus to go with ESPN. Having to manage this yourself was a compromise.

quote:

Also requesting the spreadsheet and rules doc be placed on the ESPN league front page as well.

That's an excellent idea, I'll do that immediately.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The spreadsheet does the math right now, and I generally edit in peoples drops/adds/trades the same day they happen.

The issue is what I spelled out above: if you're near your cap, you'd have to drop players to open space for anticipated bids, and then make sure someone went in and raised your FAAB budget correspondingly. If we failed to do that, ever, then an owner would be artificially constrained and prevented from bidding the full amount they ought to be able to bid.

There's also the even worse situation: what if you're at or near your cap, and you want a drop to be conditional on a bid? Say you're right at your $250 cap. You put in a $5 bid on a player, and mark another player on your roster whose salary is $5, to only be dropped if you win your bid. There's just no way for you to ever do that under the proposed system, because your FAAB budget would be at $0 and ESPN would prevent you from making the bid.

If you dropped the $5 player and then got outbid in the FAAB auction, someone else could snipe your dropped player.

So the salary cap would become a massive pain for anyone who was not just against it, but merely near it; you'd have to drop expensive players pre-emptively just to have the opportunity to make bids, which might lose, for players you're trying to grab.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK so there's two things then:

1. Resolve the issue with Gyshall's team. I want to do that tonight, so that everyone has time tomorrow to manage their rosters before the TNF game.
2. Implement any changes we agree on aiming to make it easier for everyone to deal with the interactions between player salary, salary cap, FAAB, and adding/dropping/trading players. We can take our time on this, since our current system does actually function.

For 1., so far I've seen or had the following ideas:

• Roll back the auctions for Charles Clay and Thomas Rawls. Restore Gyshall's team (the dropped players, and the FAAB budget). Run a new auction manually with blind bids and manually send the players to the highest bidders.
  • Roll back the auctions for Charles Clay and Thomas Rawls. Restore Gyshall's team (the dropped players, and the FAAB budget). Allow both players to go to the next auction, which will be Saturday.
  • Roll back the auctions for Charles Clay and Thomas Rawls. Restore Gyshall's team (the dropped players, and the FAAB budget). Give the win for Charles Clay to the team with top priority among the three $2 bidders (Team McClean), charge them $2, take no further action. (In this option, Rawls would be available for Saturday's FAAB auction.)
  • Permit Gyshall to drop players until he's back below the cap. Take no other actions.
  • Lower Gyshall's bids so that they don't exceed his cap, but he still wins both players (e.g., the two bids would total no more than $14). I could for example keep them proportionate: The original bids were $26 and $18, so I could lower them to and $8 and $6, roughly the same proportions. Restore the three players he dropped earlier today.

The three commissioners are discussing this via email. I think we'll probably pick something along the lines of one of these options. Our aim is to be as fair as we can, but I hope everyone recognizes that there's no solution proposed so far that is perfect. On the other hand, this isn't that big of a deal, so whatever we do, I doubt it's going to strongly affect the outcome of the season.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 1, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah poo poo I meant Gyshall there, sorry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A new option has been raised: We'd charge Former Kicker Ray Finkle the full amount he bid in terms of his FAAB dollars, but set the two players to proportionally lower salaries that fit under his cap ($8 and $6, for a total of $14).

The advantages of this option are:
-Finkle doesn't get the "benefit" of having his large bids reduced and thereby freeing up more FAAB money
-Finkle does get the result of Gyshall's obvious intent (which was to make bids so large he was virtually certain to claim the two players) - nobody else bidding over $2 suggests nobody else valued Clay very highly, and nobody else bid on Rawls at all.
-Nobody else gets an "unfair" second shot at bidding on Clay/Rawls

I'm waiting to see what the third commissioner thinks of this plan, but two of us are favoring it right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suppose I just disagree that a punishment is in order. It's pretty clear to me that he wasn't intentionally breaking the rules: he thought ESPN was enforcing the salary cap. So my inclination is to try to be fair, rather than seeking a punitive response.

I do not think we are necessarily setting a precedent.

That said, I appreciate and respect your opinion, which I believe is in good faith, and I'm sure the other commissioners do too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, it's late and the east coasters are hitting the sack, but I believe the three of us have reached a consensus.

We are going with this one:

Leperflesh posted:

• Roll back the auctions for Charles Clay and Thomas Rawls. Restore Gyshall's team (the dropped players, and the FAAB budget). Give the win for Charles Clay to the team with top priority among the three $2 bidders (Team McClean), charge them $2, take no further action. (In this option, Rawls would be available for Saturday's FAAB auction.)

It is the top preference for one commissioner, and the second-to-top preference for the other two. This ruling isn't much fun for Gyshall, but we feel it's maximally fair to the other teams involved, and recognizes that while we're sympathetic to Gyshall's error, a bid that isn't allowed by the rules is simply an invalid bid. Monkeying around with salary values and FAAB amounts or doing extra auctions etc. etc. isn't imagined in the rules.

This means that Team McLean wins the FAAB auction for Charles Clay, I am pre-emptively assuming he would not make the Kyle Rudolph/Doug Martin trade, so I'm cancelling that trade. If the two of you still want to make the trade, re-do it and I'll approve it right away.

We can continue to discuss any ideas for making it easier for each owner to be aware of and abide by their salary cap. I hope that everyone is, if not satisfied with the results, at least satisfied that our league's system for resolving problems is functioning well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In order to add Charles Clay to Team McLean, I need to know which player would have been dropped with that bid (because there's no room on the bench, so you must have picked a candidate to drop). I can't see it from any LM screen, as far as I can tell. Atomictyler, please drop a player ASAP; once you do, I'll add Clay to your team.

Other than that, I've done everything needed via LM powers:
-Dropped Clay and Rawls from Former Kicker Ray Finkle
-Added the three dropped players back to Former Kicker Ray Finkle
-Added $44 back to Former Kicker Ray Finkle's FAAB budget
-subtracted $2 from Team McLean's FAAB budget

I'll update the spreadsheets tomorrow morning.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Welp. So how much do I have to bid? This has really taken the wind out of my sails, sorry for loving it up. My mistake for assuming this was being taken care of on the ESPN side, I guess.

I haven't updated your tab just yet - I'll do that momentarily - but after restoring the previous state, you have $14.50 of cap space available. You can bid up to that amount without dropping any players. Of course, you'll need to drop at least one player just to make room on your roster. The current salary of any player you drop gives you more cap space: so, for example, if you conditionally drop Karlos Dansby as part of your bid, you'll get another $5 of cap space, which would let you bid up to $19.50. (In practice, all ESPN bids are in whole dollar amounts, so really that'd be $19.)

So your salary cap limits the total salary of players on your bench, but you have another limit: the total FAAB dollars you have to spend for the rest of the season. A summary of everyone's remaining money is shown on the Free Agent Auction Summary page. Right now, you have $52 left. Suppose we use the above example: you put in a bid of $19 for a player, which (if it succeeds) includes dropping Karlos Dansby. Your bid is the highest, so the transaction goes through. Your team would be back up right at its salary limit, as shown on your spreadsheet tab, and you'd have ($52 - $19 = ) $33 left of FAAB money for this season. To spend that money, you'd need to make room on your team by dropping players.

quote:

Maybe we're overcomplicating this but the treasurer watches the transactions on the main page and adjusts FAAB accordingly. Then those FAAB transactions are checked by another commissioner. The FAAB edits show up on the main page transaction, too. It really isn't as difficult or complicated, even after reading through our rules again. At any rate, I motion that we look into getting this set up ASAP on the ESPN side.

I'm happy to continue to discuss it, although Spermy Smerf is reiterating the issue I see with this system; it restricts owners' ability to operate near or at their cap limit by using drops that are contingent on adds. ESPN will not automatically increase your budget when you drop a player... it won't even allow you to make a bid using more than your current remaining FAAB budget.

quote:

Have I completely hosed myself out of getting either guy for my priority?

Charles Clay is taken - I'll be putting him on Team McLean as soon as atomictyler makes room on his bench. You can of course engage with him to try and trade for the player.

Thomas Rawls had no other bids, so he's back on the waiver wire. You can put in a bid for him as normal - the next auction will run on Saturday, so you can get him on your team in time for Sunday if you have the highest bid. It's possible that this dustup has stirred someone else's interest in the player, but honestly I doubt anyone else is willing to spend $18 for him, so I think you have a fair chance to grab him again.

quote:

Also does the rules document show what rules were amended and when? I see the document was edited yesterday at 1:58PM, but no changelog on what was edited or added.

When I copy/pasted the rules block into this thread, I accidentally hit the delete key. I used the undo button immediately to fix it. I suppose the rules sheet recorded that as a change.

If you want to review changes, click File | Revision History. It takes you to a view where you can look at every previous "version" of the file - e.g., every chunk of edits. If you have editing privileges, you can restore previous versions, too. This auditability feature is one of the reasons I chose to use Google Docs for our rules document.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I see Team McLean just dropped Rob Ninkovich, so I'll add Clay to his team now, and update the spreadsheet.

e. Oh and Gyshall I also just gave you back Brian Quick and Khiry Robinson, since those were drops that happened when you got Clay and Rawls.

The spreadsheets are now up to date.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 1, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno why your lineup is on your bench: I thought you did that.

The decision was to simply cancel your bids that were higher than your cap allowed, which means Clay went to the next-highest bidder, with waiver priority as the tiebreaker, so he belongs to Team McClean. I realize that sucks from your perspective, but we debated the other options and this is the way the commissioners were able to reach a consensus.

You could of course offer Team McLean some sort of trade to try and get Clay?

We could start updating FAAB on ESPN's side, but that hasn't been decided yet. I haven't heard anyone come up with a good way to deal with the contingent add/drop issue. If a majority of owners think the restriction is worth it for the convenience of not needing to monitor your cap, I'd be OK with it I guess.

My expectation is that sooner or later, all of the teams will be bumping up against the salary cap, though. At that point, being completely unable to do a contingent add/drop in any given waiver period is probably going to be pretty unpopular.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the $10 idea isn't terrible, but the number feels like it'd be arbitrary and I think it's another potential point of confusion.

One thing I could do is actually post, in the thread, everyone's cap space after each waiver period? Or maybe email it to you guys? It'd be easy to just pull the 12 cells from the spreadsheet and send them out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, so it sounds like in your other league, the cap and the FAAB budget are identical, which definitely simplifies things. They also have a much larger FAAB budget, which may be throwing off your gut-feel sense of how much players should cost. And, they process waivers daily, instead of twice a week as we do.

I don't really understand what that github link is (I mean, I know it's a repository of code for some application, but I don't see how a news scraper app is relevant, so I'm probably misunderstanding).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We are still discussing whether there needs to be a rules change, or a change in how we manage the FAAB budgets, but the actual issue (a team busted its cap) has been resolved, yeah.

I do hope there aren't any hard feelings. Gyshall I know you got put on the spot big-time, but I think most or all of us can see it was an honest mistake, and I think we managed to resolve it without anyone being an rear end in a top hat about things.

Which is actually pretty unusual for Fantasy Football, heh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I want to trash talk as well but I'm 1-2 so uh. Suck it, placeholder team name, you're the one team worse than me! So far.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Ladarius Green off IR, Sammy Watkins on.

Got it, thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In preparation for the draft I actually looked up and recorded the ages of every player on a beersheet, plus the ages of the top ~40 IDP guys in each of the three major categories.

I mostly favored younger guys, and whenever it was a choice between two or three guys that were about on the same tier, I picked the younger one. Then I proceeded to massively overpay for Lamar Miller and gently caress my entire draft up really badly, so... yeah, that only goes as far as it goes.

But I do have a generally pretty young team.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I need 26 points from Sean Lee.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I need 26 points from Sean Lee.

OhOhhhh god, he's out with a likely concussion. Zero chance now. Thanks Le'Veon and Maclin for being good: the rest of my team stinks.

e. ok Reshad Jones you were ok today too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bloody posted:

First win of the season coming right up thanks leperflesh

:suicide:

Spermy Smurf posted:

This IR is killing me.

My dudes are Questionable all week. Then game day about 30 minutes before kickoff ESPN finally updates them to Out. Then the next day they will be Q again so I can't put them on my IR.

Frick.

Yeah well, I mean, that's annoying... but we originally only intended the IR slots for dudes who are actually on the Injured Reserve. So any ability to just stick Out dudes temporarily on the IR is an unanticipated bonus.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys on the IR cost half their salary to your cap, basically. But, we did discuss this and actually change the rules to be aligned with the functionality. So having someone who is Out during a week, so you can stick them on IR, gets you a roster slot you could for example fill with a temporary grab in the Saturday auction and then dump after their game when your Out guy goes back to Questionable or whatever.

Provided they're listed as Out by Saturday. Which is common for some types of injury, but a lot of teams wait till the last minute to make those decisions, and in those cases, being able to stick someone on an IR slot Sunday morning is useless... it's too late to complete a waiver operation and trades take 24 hours.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that should work? I mean, it frees up a bench slot, and guys on IR cost half their salary to your cap. So if you have a guy who costs (say) $6, you could put him on IR to free up $3 worth of cap, and then put in a $3 bid for your temporary dude. If you win him, then he takes up that $3 of cap space you freed up. (This still costs you $3 of your $100/year FAAB budget of course.)

Just be aware that the instant a player is no longer qualified to be on your IR, ESPN will prevent you from making any roster changes including moving guys between bench and starter until you get that guy off your IR.

So let's say a guy doesn't play on Sunday, he's Out, until ESPN decides to update his entry to show him Questionable for next week. If ESPN does that (say) Sunday evening, then you won't be able to change your roster for the Monday game until you get that guy off IR.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha wow, that's quite a waiver report this morning.

I'm all aboard the Charles Sims train! I had to pay, but I feel really good about my bid, given how many of you also bid for him. Sorry Spermy, I'm pretty tight at WR too... unless you'd like to trade something for Crabtree or Bowe.

I added a "Salary Caps" tab to the spreadsheet. It just references the cells at the bottom of each team's sheet, but it provides a convenient place to look at all of the current cap space... and for me to copy/paste it here.

pre:
Team			Current total salary		Current salary cap space
First Down Syndrome	$204.00				$46.00
Who Da Titoons?		$219.50				$30.50
Percy Riot		$160.00				$90.00
Gridiron Chefs		$194.50				$55.50
Team McLean		$203.00				$47.00
Former Kicker Ray Finkle$245.50				$4.50
Awesome Cougars		$198.50				$51.50
BORT BORT		$201.00				$49.00
Concord Concordes	$220.00				$30.00
1017 BRICK SQUAD	$161.00				$89.00
Placeholder Team Name	$191.00				$59.00
Hawk Hunters		205.50				$44.50

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 7, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trades take 24 hours. I believe you cannot trade a player who is already locked, too, but I haven't tested that theory. Otherwise, there's no restrictions.

The 24 hours is a review period, during which a commissioner can veto the trade. We could actually eliminate that window if it's a problem, but I thought just for safety's sake it'd be a good idea to have it there, because it lets someone who fucks up a trade and makes a mistake to plead their case, before it goes through.

By the same token, though, if you are making a last-second trade, get a hold of a commissioner and as long as the trade is kosher, any of us can approve the trade immediately. I think. Again I haven't tested that, but that's my understanding of how the functions on ESPN work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Salary caps after Saturday FAAB went through:

pre:
Team			Current total salary	Current salary cap space
First Down Syndrome		$202.00			$48.00
Who Da Titoons?			$219.50			$30.50
Percy Riot			$160.00			$90.00
Gridiron Chefs			$197.50			$52.50
Team McLean			$203.00			$47.00
Former Kicker Ray Finkle	$245.50			$4.50
Awesome Cougars			$201.50			$48.50
BORT BORT			$200.00			$50.00
Concord Concordes		$220.00			$30.00
1017 BRICK SQUAD		$161.00			$89.00
Placeholder Team Name		$191.00			$59.00
Hawk Hunters			$199.50			$50.50

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Matt Ryan is making GBS threads himself and Hankerson (other league) got hurt. Cobb is invisible, Evans isn't doing much. Football is stupid.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 11, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nothing like a robust 10 point lead with leveon bell and Antonio gates coming up.

You're ahead by 27 points, and you still have Ladarius Green to play, vs. my Bell, Gates, and Stephon Tuitt. I honestly don't expect to win. It's possible, if Bell hands in a big game of course, but it's not a given. This is Gates' first game back, so he could be rusty, and Tuitt is a defensive end whose range so far this season is 0.8 points to 21 points so it's a total crapshoot with a guy like that.

Matt Ryan totally hosed me this week. I think I may have to start Dalton now. Which seems stupid... starting Dalton vs. buffalo instead of Ryan vs. New Orleans. But Dalton is legit scoring better than Ryan. Hell, for the season he's currently QB2!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. You and the three other teams who have beaten me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In Dynasty, I don't think it's a fantastic idea to only have one QB. I would be willing to trade either QB, but it'd have to be for a significant upgrade to my team, and I'd need to somehow get a hold of a promising backup QB of some kind as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joe Flacco was drafted 218th by Who Da Titoons for $1, and that's his current salary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just searched the spreadsheet. The ESPN app I think does let you access a draft summary but that won't be accurate for players who were later traded/added/dropped.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I think Antonio Gates is going to go nuts.

:swoon:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I tell you what, going to 2-3 is way, way better than going to 1-4. There are a lot of us who are 2-3 now. Breathing a big sigh of relief right here. After the Atlanta game I thought I was doomed for this week.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 13, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Zack posted:

I moved Jamaal Charles to IR :(

Got it, thanks. The silver lining is, you just freed up $20 of cap space.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh, that's a lot of dough for Charmander West.

pre:
Team			Current total salary	Current salary cap space
First Down Syndrome		$202.00			$48.00
Who Da Titoons?			$219.50			$30.50
Percy Riot			$159.00			$91.00
Gridiron Chefs			$197.50			$52.50
Team McLean			$203.00			$47.00
Former Kicker Ray Finkle	$221.00			$29.00
Awesome Cougars			$184.50			$65.50
BORT BORT			$246.00			$4.00
Concord Concordes		$220.00			$30.00
1017 BRICK SQUAD		$161.00			$89.00
Placeholder Team Name		$183.50			$66.50
Hawk Hunters			$199.50			$50.50

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The next highest bid was $31 so $47 was actually not a terrible bid, if we assume that BORT wanted to make absolutely sure to claim him.

It is nearly half of the season's FAAB dollars though, and this is only week 6. But BORT's other RBs are: CJ Anderson, Melvin Gordon, David Johnson, Zach Zenner, and Christine Michael. He neeeeded a startable RB, and paid accordingly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Got it, thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Does Bort Bort realize he did not just sign a Pokemon, but in fact signed a backup running back in the sport of American football?

I'm sure he does. Thing is, this is dynasty. Maybe that guy will be the best RB in the NFL by 2017, who knows???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I anticipated this and only have to edit the "teams" tab to update team names everywhere else in the spreadsheet. :smug: