Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I stepped down as commissioner and quit my long-time friends keeper league because it wasn't challenging enough and my friends are a bunch of pain in the rear end manchildren. I have been trying to get them to move to a dynasty cap league for the last two years so that I'd come back, but gently caress them this looks much better and I hate those guys anyway, I'd be totally down to take that free team if you'll have me

e: I am legit joining this league because this team has clive walford

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Prepare yourselves for STRAIGHT BASS HOMIE

e: I know I am the new guy but I do have commissioner experience, so if no vet wants to do it, I could step up

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'd rather let someone who's been around do it, but if we need a guy and no one wants to I'll do it. It seems mostly perfunctory since it doesn't seem like you guys have many disputes and there just needs to be someone just in case

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 19, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Unless I missed it I couldn't find any email from you. I checked my spam but didn't see anything

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

All paid

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The weekend of the the 26th is hard no go for me, but I should be good most of the time after that before the season starts. That first weekend in September looks pretty good to me too, and I'm a little hit or miss on weeknights but I could probably make it work

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I can do the 28th, 29th, 31st, and 1st anytime after 7p, and can make the 2nd and 3rd (3rd in the morning/early afternoon) work if need be but definitely prefer weeknights to weekends. The 25-27th is a no go for me, and the 30th I'm going to a baseball game. I don't have my September schedule for my 2nd job yet, but it's very likely I'll have to work the 4th-6th.

Also, when do rosters open for transactions? Is there a pre-draft trading period? Because Gurley, Jeffery, Peterson, Diggs, and Howard would all be varying degrees of available for sure

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah that input + added 9/1 looks perfect for me. Also, for 9/2, I don't need any specific time like 9/3, but I would prefer the same morning/early afternoon time frame

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If that's the last resort it is what it is. Would rather not hold my Saturday night for a ffb draft, but if that's what it's gotta be I'd make it work

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Gurley, Jeffery, Peterson, Diggs, and Howard would all be varying degrees of available for sure

Holla atcha boy and get em while they're hot

Let the rebuild commence

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Do you want us to add another defensive FLEX position to the starting roster, as well as adding 1 additional player to all rosters, bringing the total regular roster size to 24?

Yes and yes

Do you think we should adjust our salary increase rules this year?

I think the increasing scale over years would be a good idea. Not sure what that actual scale would be, but that additional 5% per year looks right at first blush. I'm okay with punting it down the line if we can't figure that out in a timely fashion

C.1: Should we just leave things as they are for now? Y/N
C.2: Should we keep the rookie/free agent in snake format, but adjust these starting salary numbers? Y/N
C.3: If we decide to do C.2, should the salaries generally be higher, or lower, or a mix?
C.4: Should we dump the snake format and switch to an auction rookie/free agent draft?
C.5: Irrespective of C2-4, should we separate out rookies from free agents, and just do a rookie draft, with free agents dealt with via FAAB?

I think either C.4 or some combination of C.4 and C.5 (rookie snake draft with salary slots, separate FA/UDFA rookie auction draft) e: I suppose a rookie draft and a FA bidding period would be fine but not sure how I feel about that being tied to in season FAAB

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 11, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Thinking about it, perhaps a rookie contract "ELC" type thing might work irrespective of what we decide and might be a decent idea. I like the idea of tying them to a 3rd party "redraft" value, but having it be at a ratio that acknowledges their starting salary. Like if you drafted a rookie at 1.1 for $20 and he ended up being valued at $60 at the end of his rookie contract, your effective salary would be higher than it'd be had you drafted him in the 4th and paid $2

Not sure what that ratio is or what the 3rd party would be (a beersheet tailored to our league might be appropriate :v: )

Also, since there aren't really standard IDP values, that presents a problem. Perhaps there, something like what you suggest about value being tied to performance might work, but that also would probably require a fair bit if research to determine appropriate performance tiers

e: perhaps that ratio for rookie deals might be like "Half the difference between current salary and 3rd party salary, or a 50% increase of the current salary, whichever is higher"

So for example, in the scenario I listed above, without any other changes to salary rules (rookie draft slot values remain the same, static 10% per year stays the same) this would be what that looks like:

A: $20 rookie becomes $22 2nd year becomes $24 year three
B: $2 rookie becomes $3 2nd becomes $3 year 3

Player is valued by 3rd party as worth $60 in year 4

A: half the difference between $24 and $60 is $18 making the salary $42, a 50% increase of $24 is an additional $12, making the salary $36

Player A's baseline salary post rookie contract is $42

B: half the difference between $3 and $60 is $29 making the salary $32, a 50% increase of $3 is $5

Player B's baseline salary post rookie contract is $32

I think something like that could work, it's just a matter of figuring out what the potential percentage increase would be vs. the difference in current and projected values

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 11, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I don't mind the idea of an offseason drop/add period for vets, but I'd much rather it happen after the NFL free agency period. It would really suck to drop a guy based on his situation, add another guy based on his situation, and then see both guys' situations change due to a trade, drafted rookie, etc.

I agree. The preseason FAAB period should absolutely be around the time of the rookie draft, if not after it, just like it is in the real NFL. Doing a bid period for the next season before the current one is over is insane

e:

Leperflesh posted:

I think the net result is injecting more chance and randomness into the game: and I feel like there's already gobs of chance and randomness inherent to fantasy football. I'd rather give owners more opportunities to make meaningful decisions where they can apply good (or bad) strategy and have those decisions pay off (or backfire) appropriately.

This is 100% my opinion, well put.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 11, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If we had a full rookie and FA (seems to be preferred) auction draft or the current rookie draft with separate FA draft, it could all be done in the same day to be honest. It would just need to be like a 3-4 hour draft window

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

If we don't split them, though, we have to do something about the ability of (at least) the #1 drafting team's ability to drop their most expensive player and then draft them first overall for $20. Similarly, any owner dropping a very expensive player due to tight salary cap space is handing over that player to an early drafting team for potentially a third of their salary or something.

The simplest solution would be to not allow teams to draft guys they've dropped. They'd either have to find a trade partner, keep them at their current price, or let them go

I do think moving to an auction draft (be it both rookies and FA, or just FA) or a separate FAAB bidding period would effectively solve the latter problem

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I understand the trepidation about splitting up rookies and FAs but, the more we hash this out, the more it really seems to me like keeping the rookie snake (which I really like, we just need something like an ELC contract or something set up there imo) and having a FA/UDFA rookie FAAB period or straight up auction draft seems like the cleanest solution if we're that steadfastly against just moving to auction outright (again, I like the rookie snake, so I understand that)

e: for greater equalization since the lower ranked teams lose out on guaranteed shots at (possibly cheap) veterans in the draft, maybe we move from a rookie snake, to a straight up 1-12 regular draft order??

I think I would propose that as a best of all worlds potential solution. A 1-12 non-snaking rookie draft with the current salary slots, and a FA auction draft/FAAB period.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 11, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I just got home and I have a ton of stuff to do, but I glanced through all this. I'll have to sit down and put some thoughts together on everything later tonight, but just giving you guys a heads up that I'm here

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I have discord and groupme

and also hangouts I guess

e: also I didn't forget to look over everything, I'm on my way home from work now

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

My weekend has been crazy, but I'm back now. I know you already moved forward on some of this stuff, and I didn't see anything that I thought looked particularly incorrect, but I'm just gonna give my gut reactions to everything for posterity.

1. Add the defensive flex position and one more roster slot. Bearing in mind we only have a plurality decision there, and two members were against it.

Yes, Add defensive flex, add 1 roster slot,. I would even say we could use 2 or 3 with a slightly nerfed scoring to get some of the better IDPs off the wire, but that's a different can of worms that we probably shouldn't open

2. Decide on the salary rules for next year, but make no changes to the rookie/free agent salary scale this year. The general consensus is to increase them, but only half the league said to do so, with one opposed and six non-voters. Suggestions for next year's scale?

I'm with Spermy on the 3 year ELC type deal if we could figure out how that will be implemented. Otherwise, I don't see much that could really change w/r/t the upper limit of cost. I think maybe a more gradual reduction in cost might be the way to go, again, that's something we'll probably have to workshop. What Spermy posted seems like a pretty great start

3. separate out rookies from free agents. It's unclear if we should also postpone that for next year. I'm inclined to do it immediately: we have over a week before our probable drafting day, so we could have a one-week free agency period/FAAB of non-rookies only, and then do the rookie draft; or, we could do the rookie/free agent draft the same as last year, and plan for that FAAB period next year. I'm also not sure whether this one-off FAAB period should come out of the annual FAAB budgets or not. Probably not?

It's not a hill I'm willing to die on, but I don't feel too great about deducting pre-season FA acquisitions from the in season FAAB budget. You guys seem to know more about how much money is typically thrown around in season, but I do think it's very common for in- and end-of-season values to change drastically from those during the pre-season. I just have visions of someone dropping a not-insignificant chunk of change on an FA RB during the pre-season waiver period, only to have that guy go down during the season, and then not having enough money to make a serious push for that guy's backup. I'm inclined to believe that as long as you're cap compliant before the season starts, there's no reason to make cap management a harder to navigate prospect by tapping into your FA money before the season even starts.

4. None of the above seems to affect the 10% salary increase, so unless one of you speaks up in the next 24 hours, I'm gonna do it

No issues

8. Someone needs to set up the FAAB schedule in MFL. I keep getting dire notifications from them about how the interface has changed and all leagues need to do it over since last year. And on this note, we discussed last year moving the second FAAB auction to Saturday evening and the general consensus at the time was that that would be fine. The poll said “no changes to waivers periods” so lets not change anything same

9. We have several more rules changes to discuss. None of them affect things for the next week, but we do need to add interception return yards, blocked field goal return yards, and fumble recovery return yards. This got voted down go with the consensus:

QB Hits, QB Hurries, Sacked yards, tackle for loss yards QB Hits and Hurries voted to go, the rest of it didn’t. go with consensus

Recovering a fumble could be worth something. If the QB fumbles it and the RB jumps on it, that could be 2pts to the RB or something. But then we'd have to make losing a fumble -3 so that if you recover your own fumble you still get -1 overall or something. I dunno. This was a tie, and I voted for it so…. I vote yes to the following: -2 to fumbles(same as current), +1 for recovering fumbles same

I propose a new rule: teams eliminated from the real playoffs should have their taxi squad players be immune from theft, and teams on BYE cannot steal players. Otherwise these last three weeks, there's too much shenanigan potential by teams just looking to grab value for next season.

Good idea, I am in favor

Some ideas for weekly incentives, "best scoring RB" or "closest game loser" or whatever. This got voted down hard so I vote no go with consensus

consolation bracket winner getting 1.13 draft pick or something of the sort. This got voted down hard so I vote no go with consensus

1: An owner can only try to steal one player from another owner's taxi squad in any given week. (That means you can try to steal from three different owners simultaneously, but only one player from each.)
2: Rule 9.9.1 currently says you notify the owner, plus the three commissioners. In practice, it's easier to just notify everyone. So I propose to change the rule to say that you have to both post in this thread, and, sent a message to the league. That should be easier and less confusing. Voting yes. same

3. Rule 9.9.3 uses the word "player" when it should be "owner". I'd like to fix that for clarity.
4. There should be a deadline after which taxi squad players can't be stolen. I suggest after the week 13 games (which is when playoffs are entirely settled). Voting yes. same

5. Possibly there should be another restriction: I think it'd be fair to say that teams mathematically eliminated from playoff contention should not be allowed to steal taxi squad players. This prevents a "sour grapes" theft from a playoff-contending team just to screw with them, without regard to the actual startability of the taxi squad player. The intent of the taxi squad theft rules is to let a struggling team grab a startable player to help them win matches from another team that isn't using him - not to allow kingmaking or punitive thefts to punish rivals. I'm not suggesting that's actually happened, it's just an obvious exploit we haven't covered. Voting yes. same

Weekly prizes? No same

Oh, and does our taxi squad stealing specify it cant start until Rosters are editable on Tuesday? If not it should. Should be able to post in the thread and email the intent, and it’ll take effect Tuesday so the owner of the player can think about it and let him go or play him. agree

Yeah I agree, we definitely should make it so IDP guys can get credit for rushing and receiving yards and touchdowns. Help me remember to do that after the season's over. Voting yes, this is just a blanket scoring change. Under the “Rules for QB RB WR TE” it’ll just add in “LB, DE, DT, CB, S” so it’s really a non-issue.. agree

We should put something in the rules that anyone being claimed via taxi squad is ineligible to be traded away either. Voting yes, thought that was the case anyway agree

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 28, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Did this last week. I agree with your logic but yeah we should discuss that for next year.

I would love to open up that discussion, but yeah, I figured we already had enough on the docket and it was definitely a next year thing anyway.

quote:

IIRC it was mostly... atomictyler?... who wanted the saturday waiver to be pushed later in the day - late enough to see who practiced and use that to decide whether or not a Questionable player is gonna play. He made a pretty impassioned argument! But maybe nobody else cares. My own approach has always been to assume a Questionable player might not play, and be sure to roster a replacement by saturday; I don't gamble with the possibility of having nobody to start at a position. This costs bench slots and overall flexibility, so there's a tradeoff to being prepared, and I think that tradeoff is interesting and worthy.

That said, pushing the auction back from saturday morning to saturday evening doesn't seem like a big change that would really screw owners, so I'd be willing to discuss it again. And the vote for "no change" was as previously mentioned very poorly attended, and I don't remember if the two guys who dropped out this summer voted which could reduce further the tiny plurality that is controlling this decision if we go with the vote result.

Right now the status quo prevails.

In inclined to agree with your assessment and I would be in favor of that change, but I'm reluctant to do so unless we have a majority of owners on board. I really don't see a downside.

quote:

One point each? Half a point each? A quarter? We have never discussed the points values for these.

I think that a quarter point would be good. It's not like those are really huge plays, so scoring them is basically just throwing a bone, and I'm not sure if sacks and QB run TFLs would add on to those, so I'm reluctant to make them worth more. I think that compared to other stats though, that seems fair. I could probably be talked into .5 if people felt strongly about it

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

add in the salaries of the three guys still on his taxi squad: $3 + $5 + $9 = 17.

doing the waivers after the rookie draft is... interesting. Basically, using vets to fill in where you didn't get rookies instead of using rookies to fill in where you didn't get vets? But knowing which vets are on the waivers, but not knowing if you'll get the guy you want...

This is how the NFL does it irl, I wouldn't have a problem with this

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

OK so, if we push the veteran waiver to after the draft, that gives us maximum flexibility. The draft is friday night, we have until then to find someone, and we can let teams continue to drop players until probably thursday night. Waivers could then run like sunday or something, and then everything opens up for drops, trades, etc. Hell we could even run a second waivers on wednesday ahead of the TNF season opener on the 7th.

This also gives Chen a couple days to possibly show up and reclaim his team.

Is this officially a go? Because I have another drop or two that I'm too stupid to realize that I should've made until right now.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yay or Nay on this?

Added it to the home screen as a rolling score ticker.

I could also add a scoreboard across the top that would update in realtime.

Maybe I should put that in the GameDay tab that no one uses?

I dig it

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I honestly think that the waiver period after the rookie draft makes more sense, so this might just be a happy accident.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Will we be able to make any trades between the waiver period and the draft? I mean, if we can swing one in that 24 hour window that is...

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

In that case!

These guys are available:

$34 - Alshon Jeffery (x - pensive, priced 2 move)
$31 - Todd Gurley - ($4-7 below market value !!! )
$14 - Lavonte David
$9 - Jordan Howard (MAYBE)
$9 - CJ Mosley
$8 - DeVante Parker (HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE)

so hit me up y'all re rebuild is on

e: PMs or email akickassduke @ gmail . com

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I probably missed it, but where's the rookie draft order?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

so who wants gronk tho

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

In that case!

These guys are available:

$34 - Alshon Jeffery (x - pensive, priced 2 move)
$31 - Todd Gurley - ($4-7 below market value !!! )
$14 - Lavonte David
$9 - Jordan Howard (MAYBE)
$9 - CJ Mosley
$8 - DeVante Parker (HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE)

so hit me up y'all re rebuild is on

e: PMs or email akickassduke @ gmail . com

I'll put Gronk, $15 Jordy, and $3 Diggs on this list because I'm not going to have enough FAAB to fill a full roster so I need to trade some of these guys for some rookie picks and/or roster players

e: also, I got Turbin, so whoever has Gore holla @ me

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 31, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Hey guys it's draft day!!

My entire roster is up for trade for 2017 and/or 2018 draft picks (and also roster players if you feel so inclined)

holla @ me!!!!

DeVante Parker already shipped out peace

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

later days alshon

still plenty of guys available!!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280yPTyei0U

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'll see what happens before the draft and I'll square up either way

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Guys I still have Jordy, Mosley, Timmons , and ~~*gronk*~~ and I don't own all the 1st or 2nd round picks yet so what's up

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Still plenty of time to trade with me!! Jordy needs a good home

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

you have enough dang picks!

that's just like your opinion man

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm stealing all your taxi squad rookies my team is terrible and I have nothing to lose :madmax:

fake edit: in all honesty, I set my week one roster, and provided that my rookies preform somewhat admirably, it really doesn't look that bad

Rebuild completion expected September 2019: Trust The Process

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm very happy about $4 total for Peterson and Funchess

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I was planning to take Hunt after Fournette and Mixon

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

so much for a rebuild :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I will keep and start him y'all can gently caress off. How long do I have to promote him before I lose him? I'll love to trade one of Mosely/Timmons/Jordy if anyone wants them so I can clear a roster spot. I tried to drop Turbin but out wouldn't let me