Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Recently there are a load of light novels about people getting transported into fantasy worlds or game settings, where they use some sort of super skills to engage in wild wish fulfilment.

But all this is a part of an older trend, where a story takes a more realistic view on a normal fantasy setting. Either by having a normal fantasy character take a more "real world" approach to problem solving or by having the story focus on people who have normal jobs in a fantasy setting.
Those manga generally manage to stay away from the superpower wish fulfilment that seems to attract all the light novels.

Another thing those mangas have in common is that they (or at least their translations) update only very rarely and irregularly. So they never end up with real threads on their own, despite how good they are.
So I thought a general discussion thread for this genre would be nice.

Here are my recommendations. Please post your own recommendations, especially for new or freshly updated manga.

The Life of Mitamura Sakurako (Alias) A oneshot by OHTAKE Masao (the author of Hinamatsuri). It sums up the thread perfectly. It can be found in the short story collection Toukyou Hatsu Isekai Yuki.

Dungeon Meshi: A team of Adventurers tries to save money by eating the monsters they kill. It went on long enough to get its own thread.

Sekai Mao: The demon lord tries to explore the world, accidentally ends up as the hero's helper fairy.

Spice and Wolf: The story of a travelling merchant a former local god, who travel the land and engage in crazy money making schemes. Originally a light novel, the anime version is very good.

E? Heibon Desu yo??: A girl gets reincarnated in a fantasy world with her memories intact. Sound pretty routine these days. Her first major endeavour is inventing coffee and filing a patent for it.

Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban: A discussion board for heroes and former heroes all over the multiverse.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: The demon lord wants to remove the economic reason for the demon/human wars by kickstarting an industrial revolution. Originally a light novel, dozens of manga versions and a ok anime.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dungeon Meshi is really good and I wish it had more than 5 chapters.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Meme Emulator posted:

It has 6

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Hero Cooperation Union Exchange Bulletin Board / Hero Union BBS / Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban is brilliant, i wish the typesetting was better

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Law Cheetah posted:

Hero Cooperation Union Exchange Bulletin Board / Hero Union BBS / Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban is brilliant, i wish the typesetting was better

i desperately want to see Student's hero life, though I haven't read it in a few months so maybe that happened.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Volume 2 came out in Japanese recently, so at least there is more material on the way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, at least someone is actually translating it now. For like a year we only had the first chapter.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, at least someone is actually translating it now. For like a year we only had the first chapter.

Seriously, having 6 chapters is super exciting compared to this.

I read a lot of cooking manga and I love how Dungeon Meshi models that style perfectly.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Serious Frolicking posted:

For a year we only had the first chapter and it was translated by someone who didn't know English very well at all. Then we got it translated again, and they were doing it only so they could get a new editor. It took a long-rear end time for it to show up for real at all.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The New Gate is pretty good so far.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Everything Burrito posted:

Seriously, having 6 chapters is super exciting compared to this.

I read a lot of cooking manga and I love how Dungeon Meshi models that style perfectly.

Someone needs to pick up Cooking Papa again.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The cooking gods have smiled upon us, because there's new Dungeon Meshi already.

http://bato.to/read/_/343272/dungeon-meshi_v1_ch7_by_everydayheroes-scans/1

I legit felt nauseous reading this chapter.

I read through Sekai Maou, and it's very cute, but it feels... unfocused? I don't get a sense the author has an endgame in mind, or has done much arc planning. It's fun, though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Squidster posted:

The cooking gods have smiled upon us, because there's new Dungeon Meshi already.

http://bato.to/read/_/343272/dungeon-meshi_v1_ch7_by_everydayheroes-scans/1

I legit felt nauseous reading this chapter.

Laius is kinda scary when he gets all worked up about eating monsters :stare:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
A nomination for the OP:

The Hero is Dead!and forty more words of light novel title that is the entire premise

The village idiot accidentally kills the Chosen Hero, and his soul is forcibly jammed into the hero's dead body. He's blackmailed into taking on the Hero's Quest, but is physically, intellectually and morally incapable of it. Features a villain dude who wants to bone yo skeleton. The comic is plenty ridiculous, and the protagonist shows the occasional flash of human decency when he's not lusting after the perfect thighs. There is also a great deal of fanservice in this series.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In the latest Dungeon Meshi, Marsilla totally knows what is going to happen next, when Laius starts explaining that the armor is alive.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is the best just saying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Archduke fire dragon is a dreamboat <3

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 11, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Dr Pepper posted:

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is the best just saying.

do you like huge tracks of plot? Big heaving mounds of exposition? Lustfully drawn explanations of potato farming? Then Maoyuu is for you!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I also like big ol titties

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Oh man Dungeon Meshi is hilarious, and you can kind of tell the author is a pretty knowledgeable/intelligent guy. I am no joke glad he is devoting his intellect to writing a monster cooking manga.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Xy Hapu posted:

Oh man Dungeon Meshi is hilarious, and you can kind of tell the author is a pretty knowledgeable/intelligent guy. I am no joke glad he is devoting his intellect to writing a monster cooking manga.

She, if anime is in any way a good guide to the typical use of Japanese names. I find it interesting that so many of these manga generic-fantasy-setting series are explicitly videogamey. Dungeon Meshi at least feels like a tabletop RPG, rather than an electronic one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tabletop gaming is not very popular. mmos are.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Dzhay posted:

She, if anime is in any way a good guide to the typical use of Japanese names. I find it interesting that so many of these manga generic-fantasy-setting series are explicitly videogamey. Dungeon Meshi at least feels like a tabletop RPG, rather than an electronic one.

Its cool that the only good poo poo is apparently done by women. Dungeon Meshi, as you claim, Dorohedoro, the first half of Deadman Wonderland

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Its cool that the only good poo poo is apparently done by women. Dungeon Meshi, as you claim, Dorohedoro, the first half of Deadman Wonderland

Fullmetal Alchemist and Silver Spoon! :woop:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The coolest part of Dungeon Meshi is how the ecosystem of the giant Dungeon is and how monsters adapt to it are laid out because I loved reading the old DnD books that dealed with that kind of stuff. The moving armor being a weird kind of clam monster colony inside normal armor instead of 'a Wizard enchanted armor for the lulz' is pretty awesome.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The coolest part of Dungeon Meshi is how the ecosystem of the giant Dungeon is and how monsters adapt to it are laid out because I loved reading the old DnD books that dealed with that kind of stuff. The moving armor being a weird kind of clam monster colony inside normal armor instead of 'a Wizard enchanted armor for the lulz' is pretty awesome.

Apparently the armour might not be normal, but instead the mollusc's shell. They each form a little part of it and come together into a colony. Even the swords they use are made the same way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slime posted:

Apparently the armour might not be normal, but instead the mollusc's shell. They each form a little part of it and come together into a colony. Even the swords they use are made the same way.

Oh huh I just saw that omake.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Same. It feels very Gygaxian.

I can hardly believe I used the word Gygaxian, but there it is.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gary Gygax ftw

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Slime posted:

Even the swords they use are made the same way.

New party member / emergency rations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Here's something else from the Dungeon Meshi author.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ryuu-no-Kawaii-Nanatsu-no-Ko

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
New chapter and start of Volume 2 of Dungeon Meshi. I really enjoy how well thought-out and creative this all is.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Even more dungeon food:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Vol-002-Ch-009--Orcs?id=241581

I am quite surprised that they are this close to the dragon already.
Also, Marsillia insisting nobody wastes food is hilarious.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I love how obsessed the scanlators are with the elf girl spinning on her head. its really funny fanart

Also when they first said there was some dungeon master to defeat i thought it might be the dungeon chef dude but hopefully this manga runs longer than that lame ending

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

has anyone done a manga of balzac's The Wild rear end's Skin. gold concept right there, totally fantastique.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fellis posted:

I love how obsessed the scanlators are with the elf girl spinning on her head. its really funny fanart

Also when they first said there was some dungeon master to defeat i thought it might be the dungeon chef dude but hopefully this manga runs longer than that lame ending
If I had to take a guess they might turn the dungeon into a world-famous hunt-your-own-game reserve and teach people monster cooking recipes. :v:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I love that the ingredients kept their stolen tag, just like in old school RPGs.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Captain Invictus posted:

If I had to take a guess they might turn the dungeon into a world-famous hunt-your-own-game reserve and teach people monster cooking recipes. :v:

yeah that's absolutely the ending if he becomes king, but whether the main guy gets there by defeating the dungeon's final level and eating the boss or the weirdo dude being the final boss the whole time and "you respect the dungeon like i do, you are my worthy successor" (i think this would be lame) might be a function of how long the manga runs before getting canceled

I'm hoping they rescue the sister and keep going because she turns out to be a monster eater too and elf girl freaks out

e: or they turn it into a restaurant with a get-your-own ingredients thing and then they cook it

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

tonberrytoby posted:

Even more dungeon food:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Vol-002-Ch-009--Orcs?id=241581

I am quite surprised that they are this close to the dragon already.
Also, Marsillia insisting nobody wastes food is hilarious.

Im sure the Dragon would just be the end of a first arc, save the sister and get a new party member then strike off for deeper dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think dungeon meshi should be an extended epic.